VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. OK.. after countless hours of testing and testing and yet more testing. The True 2X DVD-R from Allmediaoutlet.com is garbage. They are actually Princo with the TDK tag. They do burn at 2X and fairly reliable with one problem. The outer edges ARE REALLY BAD!!!

I backed up 4 movies (Mr. Deeds, Tuxedo, The Ring, and Spy Kids 2) and 3 of the 4 freezes near the end. Mr. Deeds came out fine and that could be because the movie itself is fairly small or maybe luck of the draw with a better DVD-R blank. But the other 3 discs freezes usually very close to the end. This is extremely frustrating as I always thought it was my backup method or process but after hours and hours of testing with a couple of Pioneer branded DVD-RW discs, these Pioneer DVD-RW discs played all the way thru the end fine without issue.

I even made several copies of the Ring on these DVD-R discs and same issue. It freezes near the end.

Any suggestion as to what is a good reliable 2X DVD-R discs and where to get it? I am looking for consistency all the way to the outer edges of the disc. I don't mind paying a little more, even $2.00 or $2.50 per disc as long as they are reliable.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can find TDK, and Verbatium for $2.50.

Apple media is now sold for $15 in 5 packs for their 2x media. Apple's are made by either Maxell (MXL) or Pioneer Video Corp (PVC). Their website has free shipping too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. you can buy 4x riteks at around $2 a disc at rima.com.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I was considering the Apple media but I really didn't know whether they worked well with my A04. I saw them at Fry's also for that same price but I didn't buy. Will buy a batch to try. I'm sure they are better in quality.

How are the Ritek G04? Where can I get them and has anyone tried them with a video that fits the entire DVD-R? That's where the issues come up.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I have bought 100's of the 2X DVD-R from Allmediaoutlet.com
    Never a problem even on full all the way to the edge dvd's.
    Same for the 1X princo's. They kick ass in my opinion. Plays in all dvd players I have tried too even one that a verbatim dvdr would not play in.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by darkhunter
    I have bought 100's of the 2X DVD-R from Allmediaoutlet.com
    Never a problem even on full all the way to the edge dvd's.
    Same for the 1X princo's. They kick ass in my opinion. Plays in all dvd players I have tried too even one that a verbatim dvdr would not play in.
    Very interesting. Few questions as I'm trying to find out more about the problem. I still have about a dozen or so of these Princo and don't want to waste them.

Did you backup using IC 7 or DVD2ONE? And the most important question, did you watch the entire movie again on the DVD-R? I don't mean just letting your DVD run a couple of chapters and skip and play and fast foward but actually watch the entire movie from start to finish? Another way to test is to start a few chapters before the last one and start watching from there. Mine usually freezes and 3 separate movies as indicated above.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Well I have watched most of my dvdr movies all the way through but I have to admit the very few very full ones I have I simply skipped to the last chapter to watch to see if they were bad. They played fine though.

Just curious why does it make a different if you skip to end or watch all the way though?

I mean if the dvd is bad it's bad. It can't sometimes be a bad disc.
    It sounds to me more like it's your dvd player.

I mean it it works it works it can't all the sudden be a bad disc because you watch it all the way though. That just makes no sense to me, I can't see the logic in that??
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by jxsam1@yahoo.com
    OK.. after countless hours of testing and testing and yet more testing. The True 2X DVD-R from Allmediaoutlet.com is garbage. They are actually Princo with the TDK tag. They do burn at 2X and fairly reliable with one problem. The outer edges ARE REALLY BAD!!!
    Factory Rejects!!! Type B cosmetic / unbalanced --- (Type A is dye quality)
    Quote Quote  
  9. I never burn all the way to the edge, I use those princos so far they work everytime no caosters for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No coasters on the Princo's,
    but you may wish to do a search
    and look over their degradation issues
    which have been discussed the last few days
    ~~~Spidey~~~

"Gonna find my time in Heaven, cause I did my time in Hell........I wasn't looking too good, but I was feeling real well......" - The Man - Keef Riffards
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    jxsam1,
    I had exactly the same problem as well as other persons who responded in a discussion on the "Media" forum. I had the same experience on my Apex 3201 when I fast forwarded to the last chapter ... that is, no problem at the last if I fast forwarded to there .... but play it from the beginning and the pixelation near the end gets horrible until it finally locks up. It doesn't make sense .... but it's true. This happened also on my Pioneer DV 250. I burned the same movie to a Pioneer CD-RW and it was fine. The Accus were the worst and the Princos next, in fact I have found I can have problems anywhere in the last 500MB of these DVDs. I am now experimenting with the bit rate to see if I can at least use the last of the 50 batch I just purchased. One thing I found with the Accus: By shining a strong light up from the top of the DVDs in a dark room I can see distinct differences in the ink? layer at the outer edges ... to the shape of a wedge of pie. I don't know what that means .. except I don't see it in my good burns or my commercial movie DVDs. I guess that's why some manufacturers can charge $2 apiece and be confident ...... (I paid 84 cents each for mine). Also ... with the last bunch of coasters I've been making it doesn't make any difference if I fast forward or not .... it still locks up near the end, so maybe the media stack is getting worse as I go down? For sure, I won't buy Accu or Princo again, especially in light of rumors that they may deteriorate in time.
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms." - THOMAS JEFFERSON .. 1776
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by spidey
    No coasters on the Princo's,
    but you may wish to do a search
    and look over their degradation issues
    which have been discussed the last few days

Yeah that sucks thats what Im worried about, I think Ill go back to Riteks, I dont want to back up movies and find out a year later the disc self destructed, ill use the Princo's for Data only.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you all for your contribution.

Darkhunter - what I mean is that if you watch the movie in its entirety or at least skip to 3 or 4 chapters before the end and start watching from there, you can pick up the areas where it gets pixelated or it freezes. Usually when it encounters that, it usually stops the DVD player.

What I used to do was that I skip chapter to chapter and watch like 5 secs of each chapter and it seems to work then I would let the dvd player play from the beginning but not really watching it, just checking the counter to make sure it moves while I watch another tv show. However, I found out that was not a good method for me (Low Tech Quality Assurance LOL) as when it freezes the DVD would stop and I used to think that the DVD played to the end and it stopped as opposed to seeing the counter stopped at a certain time.

If you watch the last few chapters without skipping around but really watching it, you can find out that probably 5 or 10 minutes into a chapter it will freeze. That's the difference between skipping between chapters to watch a few secs and skipping to the last few and start to actually watch it from there.

I hope this makes sense.

I also tested these with three other friends DVD Players and no luck. Same freezing issue.

I'm gonna try the Ritek 4x as a lot of people claim they are one of the better ones.
    Quote Quote