VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, i just backed up a movie on Maxell DVD-R media and when i test play it on PS2 it just won't read it it shows some Disc Error.

I can play it fine on PC-DVDROm, sony home theatre dvd, and even on xbox

is it because i have the old PS2 version?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bayaraa_us
    Hi, i just backed up a movie on Maxell DVD-R media and when i test play it on PS2 it just won't read it it shows some Disc Error.

I can play it fine on PC-DVDROm, sony home theatre dvd, and even on xbox

is it because i have the old PS2 version?
    try an apple or verbatim dvd disk Maxell has a lower reflectivity rating than those 2 brands.

In general

If your ps2 cant read an apple or verbatim dvd-r then:

A. Laser is dirty
    B. Laser needs adjustment to read the media
    C. The lased diode is slowly dying
    D. the disk is scratched or dirty
    E. The burn was not done correctly

CLeaning the laser with a lens cleaner is the first thing to try second try different media preferably the 2 named above
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did anybody have any trouble playing DVD-R on Playstation 2?

I have a version SCPH-30001 R is it old version?
    I tried two medias one is Maxell and the other one is Fuji
    Quote Quote  
  4. You must upgrade the firmware on the earlier PS2s in order to play DVD-Rs. You can get the firmware with the "official" Sony PS2 remote.
    Quote Quote  
  5. SergeantD you could'nt elaborate a little bit more regarding upgrading the firmware for earlier PS2. It would be very much appreciated by a lot of the members.

Regards Patsym1
    Quote Quote  
  6. I did some research regarding PS2's "Disc Read Error" problem. Aparently this problem is quite common with users of PS2.

So either the laser reader lens is dirty or need to be cleaned or modchip need to be used in order to play burned dvds.

I'll go with a safer way by buying DVD-Lens Cleaner
    Have any of you used Lens cleaner?

What do you think?
    Quote Quote  
  7. A few things:

What did you burn the movies with? I use RecordNow Max 4.5 and haven't had a problem with the PS2. Disks that were burned with Nero didn't work for me in the PS2 or XBOX.

Also, did you use Ifoedit or any other program to strip out extras? This can also have an affect. For the best test, find a Commercial DVD5 and use DVD Decryptor to create an ISO. Then burn it back using DVD Decryptor or RecordNow Max. (I know RecordNow Max works with PS2, never tried DVD Decryptor)

This can give you the highest compatibility test because your not reauthoring or stripping out any extras, you are simply transferring the data from one media to another. If this doesn't work then you could assume it's the media. If it does then you could assume there was something wrong in the VOB/IFO files.

dpcpro
    Quote Quote  
  8. okay I think I have a solution for you...burn the game with nero but as DVD-rom(UDF) and then select 1.02....This can be found under the UDF tab...click on the forced video for xbox. I tried this and it played fine on my PS2. Burn at 1x....Also how old is your PS2? I bought mine about a year ago. Let me know what happens...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Hey dpcpro. What version of PS2 do you have? If your not sure when did you buy your system? thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  10. I did different tests.

I used both Instant Copy7 and DXC and even Nero the latest version. And burned copies from each program. I used Maxell DVD-R and last time i tried it with Fuji DVD+RW
    None of the test cds worked on PS2.

Xbox read it fine and standalone players read it fine except PS2.
    I usually put my PS2 vertically. I even tried it horizontal position and it didn't help. I'm afraid my PS2 warranty is over and i cannot exchange it. I bought it from BestBuy like a year ago.
    Quote Quote  
  11. hey bayaraa_us....are you burning your dvd-r movies with menus? or does your dvd movies just start with the movie ...without any kind of menu
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanx guys

I'm actually backing up movies not games.
    My PS2 version is SCPH-30001 R which is old i guess. For now i'm sticking with DXC burning with full menu just like the original with high quality video split into 2 cds.

Do you think i need to buy DVD Lens cleaner or just try different media?
    Quote Quote  
  13. ...okay from my experience I never burn DVD-rs with menus. Yeah for some reason my ps2 doesnt read them! So try burning a movie without a menu...in other words after you have burnt your dvd-r make sure you dont have a VIDEO_TS.VOB file in you VIDEO_TS folder...
    Quote Quote  
  14. Good advice mate, thanx

But i prefer leaving menu intact.
    There's got to be a solution to this issue no matter what program do you use to burn.....???
    Quote Quote  
  15. I tried Fuji DVD+R last night and it played on PS2.
    It is very strange. When i test copy exactly the same movie on DVD-R it won't work on PS2. I hate it when it does that.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bayaraa_us
    I tried Fuji DVD+R last night and it played on PS2.
    It is very strange. When i test copy exactly the same movie on DVD-R it won't work on PS2. I hate it when it does that.
    Try using an apple, verbatim, or ritek dvd-r instead
    Most ps2s work wonderfully with them

Then try a lens cleaner if that doesnt work

Adjusting the laser diode power is only for those that know how to do it though it is method of last resort

I run a PS2/PSOne repair business and I have repaired and or chippped over 450-500+ PS2s. I always test each one before and after I work on them and for every single ps2 that I have repaired or chiped every single one of the them that could read a dvd games could read my apple dvd-r movies that I made with no problems and I have looked at every version of the PS2 from version 1-7 (version 8 isnt out in the US but scheduled to appear soon)

Also I have used a program called toast to make my dvd-rs and wrote all my disks on pioneer 103 and sony dru 500a

Different companies have different quality control standards when manufacturing media.

The higher the percent reflectivity the better the media is. Pioneer, apple and verbatim have have a higher percentage of reflectivity standard for their media than most other companies.

I would say that if you went to a store and bought an Apple DVD-R or Ritek DVD-R it would cost you no more than $3.00 and you can see if your ps2 likes that media I would say that you have a 80-95% chance of your ps2 liking the media since the fuji "+ R's" are working for you
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thank you mate

I didn't know the + and - medias are this different. The problem is apple and verbatim medias are too expensive to me.
    Quote Quote