VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    Can you do that? I'm interested because I want to be able to copy DVDs. Since I don't have a dvd player on my mac, it spins and spits it out. I guess what I'm trying to accomplice is to have it be like a Play Station disk. The computer can't make any sense out of it, but it lets it keep spinning, and it shows up on my desktop.

I hope I made sense,

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. Your not putting these into your CD-Rom drive are you?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is called a DVD Player...because it plays DVDs.

It is called a CD Player...because it plays CDs

You can trick your mac into thinking you have a DVD Player by paying $100 for a DVD-ROM drive

Similarly it is called a DVD Burner...because it burns DVDs

It is called a CD Burner...because it burns CDs

Repeat as above but raise price to a little above $300
    Quote Quote  
  4. Guest
    I know the difference and capabilities of a cd burner and DVD burner. I may sound dumb but I know some stuff. (I go to skool)

So I guess what you mean is that there's no little extension or something like that that could do that for me. If there is go ahead and let me know. If you want to tell me there isn't than don't waste your time.

Matt
    PS. Cd Burners don't burn DVD's.
    LanEvo7: I am stickin PS 1 cd's in my cd rom. I have apps that can run them too. Is that bad for it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVDs require a different laser.
    Quote Quote  
  6. and again...DVD's require a different lasor...the reason you can get your drive to read a Playstation cd is because its a CD...if i am correct if you put a Playstation2 game disk into your cd tray, it wont work because its a DVD..at least i think its a DVD, but a PS1 game is definatly a cd....you use an emulator to run your PS games on your PC...an emulator will not trick your cd player into thinking its a dvd player or even make it think its got a dvd lasor......shop around for a dvd drive...if you keep your eyes open you can actually pick one up cheap....i saw one the other day in a pawn shop for 30 bucks...find a used one for cheap but make sure you can return it if it doesn't work......
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This thread is lame...

If you have a CD ROM drive and NOT a DVD rom drive, there is no way to trick your computer into thinking that it is a DVD ROM drive.

Playstation 2 games come in two flavors --- some are actually on CD and NOT DVD. If you were able to get the disk to mount it was because it is a CD and not a DVD. You will know if it is a DVD because it will have the DVD rom logo on the case and the bottom of the disc will be a different color.

if i was a moderator, i would close this thread. :P
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is a special version of the apple dvd player that will allow you to use your dvd player software on a mac that does not have a dvd-rom drive.

You can also use an image of a dvd on this computer and it will act as if the dvd is inserted.

However you still have to make an image of a dvd disk on a machine that does have a dvd-rom drive and then transfer the image to the computer you want to watch it on.

I watch DVD movies on my 366 Mhz indigo ibook that does not have a dvd-rom drive only a cd drive and since the cd drive isnt spinning I conserve battery power

Even if you do have a dvd rom drive fairuse lets you watch a movie without having the actual dvd in your drive while saving battery power
    running of the image of the DVD

The method slightly differs if your are running os 9 or OS X

You need a specific version of the apple dvd player and a program called fairuse

Also some ps2 games are cds and some are dvds if you try to look at the files on a playstation 1 or 2 game you can't see them all because they are encrypted in a method similar to dvds so you can only image (your copy of the game that you paid for and legally own) using Toast and you have to modify a PS2 with a chip or other devices to play these backups
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can trick your mac into thinking you have a DVD Player by paying $100 for a DVD-ROM drive

thats funny stuff
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by djhep

thats funny stuff
    Very true I agree 100% Getting a dvd-rom drive is the most direct and less stressful way to solve the problem

I have a sony dru500a and a Pioneer A03 drive already but I needed to make a presentation at work and I needed to play a dvd on my ibook that didnt have a dvd-rom drive without lugging my sony in the external case to work with me. So I found a way to do everything for free just using software that is freeware on the internet!

Also this way enables you to play double the movies on the same charge
    of your laptop even if you have a DVD drive on it already

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This thread is hillarious

whats next?? VHS tapes in a zip drive?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Yea it is, at first I thought I misunderstood his problem, i guess i didn't.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Treebeard
    This thread is hillarious

whats next?? VHS tapes in a zip drive?

Yup it is kinda rediculous but I thought I'd let him know it was kinda possible but no matter what he still needs a dvd-rom capable drive unless he was going to use someone elses computer to transfer the files

Actually I want to hook my atari up to my microwave
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL!!!

What dumbass would stick a dvd in a cd rom drive

If he wanted to copy dvd's, why didnt he select a dvd player?

lol

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  15. Guest
    :D :D :D
    You know what I heard that also fits real nice: Your thumb up your ass. My bad, you already knew that from experience. They're really compatible too. The best part though, is that you don't have to buy anything. That's right, it's free :shock:

But don't go now. There's more!!! For the really advanced users, (qshartle, and others) if you bend over real far, (I mean really, really, far) you can fit your WHOLE head up your ass :shock: But I wouldn't try this compatibility yet, because this one takes training. You also never know, you might get the "brown screen of death." (Only if using windows)

Sounds like fun doesn't it? I've personally never done it. But I know qshartle practices all the time! But he's not the only one. Treebeard, ps2mommy, 06, and others practice daily.

I hope I get kicked off this crappy forum. But it doesn't matter because I won't be back :D (You don't have to send me an email that I was mean, webmaster guy.) I'm not doing you all a favor by leaving you to your computer screen lives, I'm doing my self a favor by getting the hell outta here, and leaving a last love note to everyone.

PS. A word of caution to qshitrle; Don't try these as often like you have been.(3-4 times a day) You'll develop a rash, and that would suck for you.

to bad my smilies won't work
    Quote Quote  

16. R.I.P.
    ...many pieces...
    Quote Quote  
  17. very sad someone states a fact & well there ya answer what a shame all he needed was a dvdrom!!!! for a few coins.. oh well no loss
    Quote Quote  
  18. I cant beleive anyone bothered to answer this guy. If the guy was to fuckin stupid to work out why a DVD wont play in a CD drive, he was obviously gona be a waste of time.

I think there should be a rule on this forum, were anyone who getts abusive like this cause they are dumb, should have there email address released to the people they piss off (to spam, or so they can be signed up for a record amount of fat fantasies newsletters, or whatever you feel like, thats up to you qshitrle and the rest of you!!)

by the way, i have been trying to play my dv tapes in my walkman, but to no avail. I think i need more powerful batteries. Any suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  19. I am very disappointed in the direction this thread went. The Mac community and this forum have always been known for it’s professionalism. But, this turned into childless mud slinging.

I could write a book on some of the so called “stupid” questions, (from some of same poster that slammed mtnbording), have asked me. But, I continue to answer them anyway, so they can in-turn help others with intelligent replies.

Nobody suggested he could use miniDVD on a cd-rom.

This is very out of character for me, but…
    If you want this to be a humorus thread read this:

qsharle: Jan 27th post
    These guys have worked their asses off to get you a Kickas program.
    But you repay him with "Can you add this" "Can you change that" "Make it this way"

qsharle: Feb 02 post
    No offense kai and bile, you have a Kickass program, but i would say its worth is about 10 bucks. if you added a few more features...
    I would say a bitrate calc for divx a ...

qsharle: Mar 07 post
    Is it possible for Kai or Major to add this feature to DivX?

acid512: Jan 25th post
    Hi, first off i would just like to mention i have a BASIC grasp of Digital video etc, but am relativly new to DVD (i know what a vob is, but dont understand multiple langueages etc).…Any help would be appreciated, even if its just how to make my pc less likely to crash…

Acid512: Mar 4th post
    First thing first, I am not a newbie to digital video…
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    And u kno u get a rash because?????

Q
    "Good Luck 007"
    In Memory of Desmond Llewelyn
    Quote Quote  
  21. The guy wanted to read original DVD's in a CDrom drive - i think miniDVD would be a rather poor suggestion to have made.

feb17th to march4th is over a month. I have spent quite alot of time reading stuff on the net, and have happily gone from being unaware of the very existance of 'VCD' to succesfully ripping DVD's and getting a good understanding of Digital Video in general (i find vobs less confusing know!) in about 6 months.
    If you have read some of my posts, you'll see that they are all generally nice natured (bar this one - i was not in the best of moods, and found this guys response unbelievable), and i think i have helped others as well.

I consider 'newbie' to relate to knowledge rather than time, and so would not consider my self a newbie anymore.

See ya (i think this thead is pretty mch closed)
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mtnbording
    Can you do that? I'm interested because I want to be able to copy DVDs. Since I don't have a dvd player on my mac, it spins and spits it out. I guess what I'm trying to accomplice is to have it be like a Play Station disk. The computer can't make any sense out of it, but it lets it keep spinning, and it shows up on my desktop.

I hope I made sense,

Matt
    Originally I thought you were trying to play dvds on a mac that didnt have a dvd player. So my explanation was how you can do this.

After rereading your original post I think I might finally understand.
    You wanted to take a playstation 1 or 2 game and copy it with your mac.
    (or is this what you were saying)

On a pc someone has figured out how to take a playstation 2 dvd-rom and save the contents to the hard drive
    You can extract files downsample video and audio file and copy this onto a cd-r that will work in a playstation 2 but the process is very hard and quite extensive to someone that doesnt do this on a regular basis

The person still had to use dvd-rom drive to copy the disk to their hard drive before using their cd burner though.

There are no tools to do this on a macintosh as of yet.

A dvd can be quite easily backed up by doing a direct disk copy in toast with no problem by just inserting disk, choosing disk copy, and hitting record if you have a dvd burner this is the only real way to backup a ps2 dvd game on a mac.

Also you must have a modchip to play your backup "legal copy of the original that you own already"

The ps2 wont play a cd-r or dvd-r by any other means unless you do the knife method or variation of that with a boot disk but then all the games wont work unless you go through a lot of hoops and tricks

Or

Leave your ps2 top off all the time and use a boot disk which is still a variation of the knife trick

Sorry if you thought I was slamming you I honestly was trying to help but you didnt make yourself clear in what you wanted in the begining or I completely misunderstood what you were saying
    Quote Quote