VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    I recently got apples mpeg2 player/encoder plugin. I installed it and everything. It plays mpeg2 files, but I can't figure out how to encode mpeg2 files. Please help

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. What you downloaded was a decoder for mpeg2 files. The actual encoder is included in products like DVD Studio Pro and Final Cut Pro. There isn't many options for mpeg2 encoding on the mac, even less if you are using OSX. If your resourceful there are ways to obtain these things.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Is there any quicktime mpeg2 encoder plugin out there?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If you're running OSX you can get a mpeg2enc a unix command line that works with programs like "ffmpegx" or you can use "Media Cleaner" FFmpegx is free but you have to intsall the command line (which I never figured out how to do) in the unix terminal. Media CLeaner is not free but it is good. As I stated in my previous post, if you're resourceful you can acquire these programs. I just cant tell you how to go about it on these forums.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is also Apple's Quicktime codec for MPEG2... Isn't the encoder included with the decoder? If you click export in QT, it would be available as MPEG2 if you have it.

A lot of people complain about it, but i prefer it over anything else for mpeg 2 if my target is DVD... It is very VERY fast on my machine.

mpeg2enc is pretty slick as well... I HIGHLY recommend ffmpegX, and highly do NOT recommend Media Cleaner. It is slow, bulky, unintuitive bloatware. Not to mention a $600 price tag. :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thus the point of the original post, the codec for quicktime is a decoder not an encoder. the only mpeg2 encoder by apple is included in dvd studio pro and final cut pro. It can be used by those programs and quicktime
    Quote Quote  
  7. Guest
    Whats the name of that extension? (The one that encodes) Maybe I can buy it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I havent seen it on the apple website or anywhere else, I am not sure of the exact name of it. Get DVD Studio Pro and install it. I take it you're creating mpeg2 streams for the purpose of DVD. I suggest you buy "DVD Studio Pro" from Apple. It would be morally wrong however to obtain it through other means like some people do i.e. Peer to Peer Applications like "Limewire" or copies of it on "Ebay" Do the right thing, granted it has a retail price of $999 but maybe you could find a legitimate used academic copy for around $400 to $500. Whatever you do, do not take the low moral road. If you are tempted to do so at least make a pledge to buy the program in the future when it is more financially viable for you, being that it would be the right thing to do.

"You must do what you feel is right, of course"
    OBI-WAN KENOBI - Star Wars: a new hope
    Quote Quote  
  9. Guest
    I just found something cool on my Illustrator CD. Under Demos it gives my Premiere, and when I installed it I also got Cleaner 5 EZ. anyway when I clicked Plugins in the cleaner file I got all of the mpeg plugins including mpeg2 etc. Is it possible to add these to quicktime?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I dont think so, but don't take my word for it. I think those codecs are only native to Cleaner.
    Quote Quote