VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    What can I say?It won't install.I install all the components.Then I try to open the app.and it bounces and quits.If it helps the mpeg2 encoder is a text doc. and it's all located on the desktop. PLEASE HELP!!!

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  2. okay, I take it you are trying the installer engine to install the various components etc?

the mpeg2enc file should not be a text file. use the terminal to change the name like:

mv mpeg2enc.txt mpeg2enc

then run the installer for this again. I think the installer then copies the file into the proper location which i think is /usr/bin/mpeg2enc

otherwise you can look in that directory using termnal and remove the .txt from the mpeg2enc file if it has been copied there already.

have another read of the install instructions also to make sure you have all the required compnents.

I hope this helps.

markus
    Quote Quote  
  3. Guest
    Didn't work;No such file or directory

?

I also tried downloading it again, but it again opens with text edit. Any other suggestions, or should I just get 42?

Matt
    Quote Quote  
  4. 42 can not do all the things that ffmpegx can do, personally I gave up on it. try it if you think it fits your purposes.

mpeg2enc always downloads as a txt file, you need to then rename it removing the .txt extension using a terminal window.

If you are using the ffmpegx installer engine, it is really straight forward if you follow the directions. download the three files as specified.

To rename mpeg2enc you must start a terminal window and type:
    cd Desktop/
    then
    mv mpeg2enc.txt mpeg2enc
    then use the installed engine to move and install it to the correct location.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Guest
    Still not working. Please just send me your copy of mpeg2enc to mtnbording@aol.com

thanks,
    Matt
    Quote Quote  
  6. It doesn't sound like the problem is your copy of mpec2enc. it sounds like you aren't renaming it and installing it properly.

have you got all three files you need to download? (the links are in the installer engine)

just having another copy onmpeg2enc will not allow it to work if it isn't installed in the correct locations. it just won't work.

give me more information about the steps you are following to install it.

markus
    Quote Quote  
  7. you probably need to make mpeg2enc executable. cd to the directory that contains mpeg2enc (usally /usr/local/bin) and type
    Code:
    sudo chmod 755 mpeg2enc
    Quote Quote  
  8. Guest
    I can get it to change the name from .txt to .nothing but it's still a text document!? Here's what I tried:(ignore that no such file or directory I messed up)

Welcome to Darwin!
    [localhost:~] matt% /usr/local/bin
    /usr/local/bin: Permission denied.
    [localhost:~] matt% /usr/local/bin sudo chmod 755 mpeg2enc
    /usr/local/bin: Permission denied.
    [localhost:~] matt% cd Desktop/
    [localhost:~/Desktop] matt% sudo chmod 755 mpeg2enc
    Password:
    [localhost:~/Desktop] matt% mv mpeg2enc mpeg2enc
    [localhost:~/Desktop] matt% sudo chmod 755 mpeg2enc
    chmod: mpeg2enc: No such file or directory
    [localhost:~/Desktop] matt% sudo chmod 755 mpeg2enc.txt
    [localhost:~/Desktop] matt% mv mpeg2enc.txt mpeg2enc
    [localhost:~/Desktop] matt%

I have no idea how to work terminal (as you can tell) so hopefully you can help me out.

thanks,
    matt
    Quote Quote  
  9. Guest
    I have all three downloads. (The new versions)

Also, if it helps I'm running 10.1.5
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm assuming you mean that the Finder says that mpeg2enc is a text document?

Can mpeg2enc be run from the GUI? I thought it was meant to be run in a terminal window or by another app. If so, it doesn't matter what Finder thinks of it...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by mtnbording
    Also, if it helps I'm running 10.1.5
    The installer already renames from .txt or whatever and does all what it's needed to install the binaries. Your problem is that the app requires OSX 10.2 to work.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Guest
    Sorry to waste your time. But any way that wasn't my fault. Check out macupdate.com

http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/8988

Matt
    Quote Quote