VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6
FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It was said best above Both formats are valid. So in the end it doesn't really matter a great deal either way which one wins. By the time there is a winner the drives will not be such an investment in money anyway.

Personally from where I sit it seems that -R is ramping up greatly the last 6 months. But another looks around and sees +R as the growing format. But it really doesn't matter either way. As I've said before Both formats burn DVDs readable on most players, and both formats will continue to have media available, so in the end it doesn't really matter.

There server looks tired. Lets allow this thread to die so it can rest.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Why would you go out and buy a sony dual format for $350, when you can get a 4x dvd-r drive and a 4x dvd+R drive for about $150 each? I think people should just get whatever they like to support instead of getting a dual drive. If you made the wrong choice, then by then the drives will be faster and cheaper. The generic media of -r is cheaper as of now though. If you go for brand name, its about the same, but its easier to find +r in best buy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives

i have 1 response for u. neo dvd, neo dvd plus, any mpeg2 adapter card is faster and cheaper than dvd standalone that can't even make a duplicate of a real dvd

red lion
    do your history and find out what ps2 are based on (hint not dvd-r)

Kal250
    JasonK
    gilhoy and especially
    flaystus

people really need
    to read your threads
    they must have miss them
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vance43211
    FulciLives

i have 1 response for u. neo dvd, neo dvd plus, any mpeg2 adapter card is faster and cheaper than dvd standalone that can't even make a duplicate of a real dvd
    The only real time hardware mpeg2 "adapter card" or if you will PC capture card THAT works properly AND with the same features of the Panasonic stand alone line of DVD recorders is the Canopus MVR1000 which has a MSRP of $699.00 whereas the Panasonic DMR-E50 stand alone DVD recorder is selling for around $400 and the new 80GB HDD Panasonic unit (the DMR-E80H) is expected to go for around $600 when it hits the market in July 2003.

Also please note that I endorse using the Panasonic stand alone recorders only to record analog video to DVD-RAM (or in the case of the E80H to the HDD first and then DVD-RAM) ... editing and final DVD-R or even DVD+R creation is BEST done on a computer with a computer burner to create the final product.

But why deal with trying to capture on a computer and then locking it up for hours on end when the stand alone recorders are best suited for the original analog-to-mpeg2 capture ... not to mention you can create a final DVD-R on one WITHOUT a computer.

All the BEST stand alone DVD recorders are the DVD-R format with Panasonic being the biggest player and they support DVD-R and DVD-RAM and that here is the whole point.

There are things you can do with DVD-RAM (part of the "-" community) that you CANNOT really do with any other format. Some may argue that DVD+RW has the same capabilites but it is not nearly as flexable and a DVD+RW disc is not very compatable with stand alone connect-to-your-TV DVD players. So why support DVD+R/RW at ALL when the format ultimately is not as flexable and excuse me for saying so but it is a bastard format ANYWAY in that a few companies decided to support it outside of the official DVD symposium. WHAT THE HELL is THAT all about!

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    Quote Quote  
  5. There are so many strings to this post, I'll be surprised if anyone gets down the list this far to read what I'm about to say.

Most people I work with buy their computers retail and probably will never remove the cover. These are the CircuitCity, Dell and Best Buy customers.
    That said, I came darn close to buying a Sony Vaio at Costco this week because I was floored at the packages they are offering, love their (Costco's) no questions asked return policy and would like to upgrade my Athlon 1.2 Gig with a Pentum 4 VAIO 3.06 Gig machine bundled with a Sony DVD/CD Burner, a DVD ROM, 120Gig HD, 1Gig RAM and a 17" curved FPD. A little pricey at ~$2.5K, but I might have gone for the Box only Vaio with a 2.66 Gig P4, 512M Ram, 80Gig HD, Sony DVD/CD burner and DVD ROM for $1.5K less. Bottom line - The DVD burners that get bundled with prepackaged systems will dominate.

I'll take bets that most people who read this forum know a little more than the average person about computers, will probably own a couple of DVD burners in a few years, and probably won't buy their next computers at Circuit City unless its an eMachine for their kids to go to school -(guilty).

I own a Cendyne (Pioneer -104) because it was inexpensive and well spoken about on these forums. During the same week I bought it, one of my work buddies bought a Sony (probably good move on his part) because he was willing to pay the $150 more than my Office Max rebate special. My other friend also bougt a Cendyne but was smart enough to read the forums on Techbargains.com and found that he could get a $50 additional Office Max price cut as a first time buyer on line - he paid $130.
    Second bottom line - the guys I hang with are all engineers who build our own machines, wouldn't think of buying a pre-configured computer for ourselves unless we could pry the lid off and reasearch the MOBO and probably have enough spare parts around to toss another machine together for $100 bucks. Sound familiar?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually the PS2 is not BASED off of anything except DVD-ROM. Just like some players better support one standard over the other, but they are not based off that standard. It has to do with the firmware.

Anyway like I said before, these threads really prove nothing. One may eventually win, but will it really be a major concern by then?
    Quote Quote  
  7. If it plays in your DVD player and it plays in your mates DVD player what does it matter.
    just to clear up a few factors the DVD Video logo is not an indication of the structure format i.e in idiot terms its got nothing to do with +/-.
    I havent heard anyone mention the new format disks 4.0x speed which will be flooding the market. By the way these are for DVD+R 4.0x machines yes that does mean that if your DVD + cant be flah upgraded to except the new discs its game over.
    And the point is your arguing for the format that you have purchased which if some of you are expecting more than a years life on your laser then you'lll be disapointed my drive will probably been replaced in a years time cause i use rather than defend it.
    So get on making movies and stop arging about whos dads bigger than whos. You argumentative B.........s.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    FulciLives

u can get a quartet or a hollywood mpeg2 adapter card for around $300 or a real magic for $500

or u can get a aver dvd capture card with neo dvd for $40 bucks that burn the tv shows directly to disc

i not going respond to to the rest of your comment

last time i checked everybody that had dvd burner be it + or - format were happy with their burner

that all that really matters

oh yeah, not that it really matters, but ps2 games are dvd+r (that was the format that the games was written as)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vance: PS2 games are pressed DVDs, just like movies, they are not burned. Therefore they are not - or +.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    my bag. i got that info from a playstation site

i guess i was misinformed
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    after reading all of those post i will throw in my 2 cents

i hope that one of these formats hits the dust soon...

its gotta happen, i mean i'm sure that it will be a phase out but i hope that its gonna happen soon, and i don't care which one wins (i own a pioneer a05, thats a -r)

i think that it will be better for consumers if it does, everyone will be producing the same media... for less, i mean these disk companies i think are suffering from economies of scale. How does that work??? read on...

When you are producing media for the market, no matter if you are producing for a -r or +r, theres a chance if you go too large and your media dies that your up the crick without a paddle, and the damn just broke, don't try to say that this is a non factor cause it does sit in a ceo's mind. I'm not talking about the - or + winning but a new and emergeing technology that can/could take over because there is no winner in the dvd market yet. It can take companies something like 30-35 years to spread out the fixed costs to a point where its just gravy for there on. you really need this size to reduce the cost of everything, but its a huge gamble. there would also be more competition in the production of the media causing a shift from an oligoply to hopefully perfect competition. That would lower the price of the media to the consumer termendously.

My final words are....
    We need a winner and soon!!

*Note: some of this may be BS*
    **I'm not sure what is and what isn't**
    You win some, and you lose some, and some get rained out...
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can't believe this thing is still ongoing. Both formats are here to stay, although the future will probably continue to value +R for data and -R for video, as they were intended for.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  13. here's a thought on the subject...

who cares?

I've got a Pioneer DVD-RW A04 and well over 100 burned DVD's. Works
    great and the media costs me less then a $1.

If +R should happen to take off an become mainstream and my tv dvd player no longer plays -R by some black magic.. then I'll get a +R drive.

Till then.. who cares.

+R offers no benefit to the average customer over -R.

-d
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hi all,

Just my opinion for this subject;

So why is it that computers that came with a DVDwriter is a -R(W) ??

Here in The Netherlands (Holland) you have lots of complete systems that came with a -R(W) writer (Medion Aldi).

The only reason for this is that they always put in "old" hardware in complete systems (motherboards..graphic cards..etc.) because this sort of computerparts are difficult to sell a part(not that these are bad computers but you know what i mean )

I have the best off both wolds because i just bought a NEC ND-1300A witch is a +/- -R/W writer ("pickey" about the mediabrand but Datawrite DVD-R disc's are working perfect at 4X) for a 279 EURO at Funprice
    So no worries for me (i hope).

I think its gonna be a while before this -R and +R story last but they wil be supported both by Microsft so there is not to worry at all for the next 5 years or so...

Greetz Danny
    ...Ever deleted a file and 5 minutes later banging your head on your desk for doing that...???
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have a Sony DRU-500A

.. a Pioneer dvd-444

... a Daewoo dvd-9000s .

Those -/+ I only use in math !!... it seems there is a place for everyone.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm looking forward to blue laser dvd writers, if my pioneer104 breaks down early...prices of multi-format burners will be cheap by that time comes (or wait for blue lasers). -R here in Asia is cheap -R is 29-35 PHP while +R is 120PHP...how about that? What matter is the availability of choices right now I'm confused whether I use CDR or DVDR (for data), VCD, SVCD or DVD for my videos because vcd is still mainstream here...so I preserve my AVIs. I prefer DVDR-MP3 over DVD-Audio...it's all up to the user. but the real FACT is -R has lot of users around the world.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    can we kill this thread?
    Quote Quote