VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 167
Thread
  1. the dvd video logo is of pressed dvd NOT DVD-R please.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Then how can I get that logo off of my DVD-R disks? It was there when I bought them.

    I noticed you finally dropped your line about the Verbatims.

    Beginning in December, I have used my DRU500A to also backup/store/transfer data files, so the 2.4x for DVD+RW is handy there, but I stick with DVD-R for video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Get Slack disturbed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    init 4
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jacknjt
    the dvd video logo is of pressed dvd NOT DVD-R please.
    Just because I know you like Verbatium (bottom left hand corner)

    Quote Quote  
  4. okie
    i'll do a quick test
    later i'll go to best buy with a dvd-r and dvd+r movie and check how many player can play each disc and let yall know
    Quote Quote  
  5. Get Slack disturbed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    init 4
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jacknjt
    okie
    i'll do a quick test
    later i'll go to best buy with a dvd-r and dvd+r movie and check how many player can play each disc and let yall know
    Who cares? What are you going to burn the DVD-R with?

    Do some real research. Check out the background history of the companies involved with DVD+R. What draw backs do playing with the bitsetting have. If it is so great, how come it needed to modify it's original format just to achieve better playback results? Why didn't it do it out of the box? Remember when +RW came out. They taunted 99% compatibility. What happened, they got sued for false claims. What about the firmware scandle? Promised future upgrade to write to +R, never happened, needed a new drive.

    Spend a little time reading the ISO docs, read the articles at the DVD Forum and RWAlliance. It doesn't take a genius to figure this out. Every company not envolved with +R couldn't give a hoot. That's over 230 multimedia heavyweights, not some OEM hardware makers, and class action lawsuit ridden companies.

    There's nothing wrong with using DVD+R for home use. That's what it's designed to do. It's for consumers who burn 5-10 DVDs a week. Who advertises 800 DVD+Rs? Most companies offer singles, 25 packs, once in a while 100. Because it isn't bought in high volume. I for one buy 500 packs at a time, and sample spindles of 100-200. No I don't use Princo. TDK, Maxell, Verbatium, and Mitsui in large quantities, Ritek and what ever else is cheap this week in small qty.

    DVD-R was designed for professionals by professionals. You can't send in a DVD+R and have it duped. DVD-R (authoring) is 100% accepted, and DVD-R (general) is accepted at 80% of the authoring houses. Why not DVD+R?

    Everybody makes bad choices. If your short on cash you can still pick up a Cendyne 4x DVD-R at Office Max for $169, and you can find Panasonic Multi Drives, and Toshiba SD-5002 for under $200 on the web.

    Have a nice day
    Quote Quote  
  6. duhhhhh

    i just go home from bestbuy and did the test both -r and +r works in all players at bestbuy.

    dvd+r is verbatim burned with nec-1000
    dvd-r is fuji burned with stand alone pana recorder.

    dvd-r showed no better compatibility, the result maybe diff if the -r disc is made from a computer dvd drive instead of the pana.

    finally conclusion, dvd-r and dvd+r compatibility are the same. i go for good cheap BRANDED NAME medias, that y i chose +R. i'm happy with it
    Quote Quote  
  7. duhhhhh

    i just go home from bestbuy and did the test both -r and +r works in all players at bestbuy.

    dvd+r is verbatim burned with nec-1000
    dvd-r is fuji burned with stand alone pana recorder.

    dvd-r showed no better compatibility, the result maybe diff if the -r disc is made from a computer dvd drive instead of the pana.

    finally conclusion, dvd-r and dvd+r compatibility are the same. i go for good cheap BRANDED NAME medias, that y i chose +R. i'm happy with it
    Your arguements get weaker every time. I truly believe that -R and +R aren't going anywhere anytime soon, but your reasons on why DVD+R will win the war is just plain stupid. After reading all your arguements, it seems you're basically saying DVD+R is going to win is because Vebatim offers DVD+R discs at a lower prices than their DVD-R counterpart. You have yet provided a real arguement besides this. You also claim that ALL inexpensive unbranded media will positivly fail in one way or another. Where do you get your basis for this or are you just pulling this out of the air? There are some dud companies in inexpensive media, but not all of it is bad. There are plenty of people that have success stories with unbranded media. I haven't seen a bad report regarding Riteks G04's 4x media yet.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Today I bought 50 DVD-R at CompUSA for $54 including tax. Now I would like to know where I could buy DVD+R for a similar price retail? I really don't understand the statement that DVD+R is cheaper than DVD-R. I have yet to see this either retail or online.

    Sort of reminds me of myself and Beta. I remember way back in Dallas standing next to my two (very expensive at the time) Beta recorders telling my friends not to buy VHS as Beta was going to be the standard. A year later I could not give the recorders away.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    this was copied and pasted from another topic

    to those who debate about which is better dvd+r or dvd-r it all depend on the individual. i could sit here and give a 1000 reasons why dvd+r is betterthan dvd-r( the main reason being it is the format that i own, which it u check this site the majority of people are siding with the format that they own), but i won't do that.

    if you use gear pro or instantcopy 7.0.91 it does not make any difference. they both make 100% compliant dvds that SUPPOSE to play on everything. i know gear pro plays on everything but the verdict is still out on instantcopy(they played on every dvd player that i put them in).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Why dont the + format people admit they made a mistake and purchased the wrong DVD burner they keep trying to defend it, If you want to pay 3 times for + media then go ahead, Ill use that money and buy 3 times more media then you for the same price. 8) You could buy 69 cent DVD-R's you cant find + media under a dollar more like $1.50 and up
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    I WILL TRY THIS ONE MORE TIME


    Originally Posted by vance43211

    to those who debate about which is better dvd+r or dvd-r it all depend on the individual. i could sit here and give a 1000 reasons why dvd+r is betterthan dvd-r( the main reason being it is the format that i own, which it u check this site the majority of people are siding with the format that they own), but i won't do that.

    if you use gear pro or instantcopy 7.0.91 it does not make any difference. they both make 100% compliant dvds that SUPPOSE to play on everything. i know gear pro plays on everything but the verdict is still out on instantcopy(they played on every dvd player that i put them in).
    I HAVE A SONY AND A AOPEN DVD+RW BURNER. I LIKE THE DVD+R FORMAT BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONE THAT I HAVE.. I PAY 3 TO 5 DOLLAR PER DISK. I WILL CONTINUE TO PAY 3 TO 5 DOLLARS PER DISC. I AM A GROWN MAN. I WILL NOT CHANGE MY FORMAT BECAUSE SOME OF U DON'T LIKE IT. I DON'T EXPECT U TO CHANGE YOUR FORMAT BECAUSE I DON'T LIKE IT . THE ONLY REASON YALL ARE AGRUEING IS BECAUSE DVD-R FINALLY SPED UP THEIR SLOW AS HECK DVD-R DRIVES TO 4X SO NOW YALL CAN COME BACK OUT THE CLOSET. MOST OF YOUALL
    (DVD-R OWNERS) ARGRUEING WERE THINKING ABOUT SWITCHING TO DVD+RW YOURSELVES UNTIL THEY CAME OUT WITH 4X RECORDING FOR DVD-R. WELL GUESS WHAT DVD +RW ARE GOING TO COME OUT WITH FASTER RECORDING DRIVES AND CHEAPER PRICES TOO FOR THEIR DISK EVENTUALLY.

    SO WHO CARE? IF WHAT U GOT WORKS, HAVE FUN AND STOP ALL THE BICKERING.

    BECAUSE YOUALL CAN ARGUE UNTIL YOU ARE PURPLE AND BLUE. WHAT YOU SAY STILL WON'T HAVE NO IMPACT OF WHICH FORMAT LIVES OR DIE. MY GUESS IS THEY WILL BOTH PROBALY SURVIVE. BUT THEN AGAIN, THAT IS MY GUESS
    Quote Quote  
  12. Chill out, nobody's telling you to change your format. This is a discussion of why DVD-R is(or isn't) going to disappear.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    i apoligize . i got a little carry away of the subject. but that what happen to everybody when this debate come up. i just see so many heated debates about the subject whenever i 'm on dvdrhelp.com. they(dvd+r-r formats) both work

    it not like the sony and toshiba debate when the electronic industry made them go back and settle on one dvd format for dvd players when they both had different formats back in 1995. being that both had dvd movies but they were imcopatible with each other.

    with the right software both dvd+r and -r both will play in the same player. so they are both good formats
    Quote Quote  
  14. I agree they are both fine media. The only problem is that DVD+R costs three times what DVD-R goes for.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    i can remember a time when a time when dvd+rw cost 10 dollars a piece(and burners was 550-700 dollars. but LIKE ALL COMPUTER AND ELETRONICS the price will drop (shoot, i remember when cd burners were $1500.00 and blank cdr was $10 a piece)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="LanEvo7"]
    duhhhhh
    I haven't seen a bad report regarding Riteks G04's 4x media yet.
    That's because the G04's are DA NUTZ and there has been nothing bad to report. 4x burning speed, cheap as hell ($1.40-1.80 each, for 4x media this is exceptional) and outstanding data retention and playback quality.

    As for jacknjt: how did it feel when disturbed did that to you? What was it he did? I think it was how he... 0WN3D J00!!!! (heheh. I always get a kick out of that slang) Disturbed and I both made a point you'll never be able to substantively refute: by altering the bitsetting to make + formats possible, the format introduces a basic incompatibility and potential hardware problems now and in the future. If they couldn't get the reflectivity right, they should have waited five months instead of jumping the gun by changing the format. In the end, that will spell their doom more than any other single factor. On the up side, newer and future regular set-top DVD players have been including +R playability as a matter of course. As long as the feature isn't expensive to add (and is probably just part of the BIOS), then at least you're safe until blu-ray (which is AVAILABLE NOW) finally moves from the professional circles into general market availability.
    -MPB/AZ
    Quote Quote  
  17. Get Slack disturbed1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    init 4
    Search Comp PM
    On the lighter side of things,

    Has anyone seen a logo, or statement in an owners manual that states DVD+R playback? I haven't seen a spec listing for this anywhere.

    Panasonic says DVD-R and DVD-RAM on the player, box, and in the manual. Even Crutchfield has a listing for DVD-R playback compatible DVD players.

    I haven't noticed any players saying DVD+R. The Philips' models I looked at didn't mention it either. I don't claim to have seen every model though. They should at least advertise their own format.

    That would be a sign of wide spread conformity. When it's engraved in steel
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    phillips, ge , rca, sony, apex, are a few brands just off the top of my head that u will see in stores( best buy, circuit city,wal-mart, etc.) if u get off your computer long enough to go to one.
    Quote Quote  
  19. You mentioned Verbatim and TDK, EVERY single PERSON I have read that has purchased TDK DVD Media, has purchased DVD-R's and had ZERO problems with them, including myself.
    I was meaning the method of "pushing" being the recorders themselves, and not the actual media. If you just have a buch of -R media with nothing to use to record them with, what use are they?

    Every manufacturer you mentioned for "pushing" +R also "PUSHES" -R, and pushed -R even more due to the fact that it CAN'T STAY ON THE SHELVES, while its counterpart sits there and collects dust.
    You are making a big assumption. How do you know stores are not intentionally stocking their shelves with DVD +R recorders? How is it that Office Depot can keep DVD-R on the shelves, while every other retailer cannot?

    I would think if DVD-R recorders would be in such demand, and couldn't be found on most shelves, that people would rush into Office Depot and snatch them all up.

    I think this thread has been more on the biased side with people basing their opinions on what drives they have, while taking any statements that are different personally.

    I've been to six circuit cities and Best Buys and have only been able to find DVD+R recorders. Has anyone found -R that wasn't Sony at a major retail outlet? I am excluding office depot from my question.
    Quote Quote  
  20. And Betamax was the superior product, but it was VHS that won the consumer market. Why? Because Mom'n'Pop customer could find VHS on the shelves
    Actually, it wasn't so much that, as the fact that VHS was cheaper than Betamax.

    After JVC invented VHS they were happy to offer licences to build VHS machines to anyone who wanted them, whereas Sony initially refused to allow third-party Betamax machines. The result was that the VHS market was flooded with decks and strong price competition, and Betamax stayed expensive.

    Sony thought that customers would be willing to pay more for Betamax's slight quality advantage over VHS. By the time they realised that most customers weren't, and they allowed the likes of Sanyo and Toshiba to build Betamax decks, it was too late - VHS was too far in front for Beta to ever catch up.

    Oh, and it helped that there were more pre-recorded movies available on VHS, but that was something of a self-fulfilling prophecy - more people were buying VHS decks, so more companies chose to support VHS over Beta.

    Here endeth the lesson!
    Quote Quote  
  21. "Actually, it wasn't so much that, as the fact that VHS was cheaper than Betamax."

    I agree with that 100%.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="silvergator"]
    I've been to six circuit cities and Best Buys and have only been able to find DVD+R recorders. Has anyone found -R that wasn't Sony at a major retail outlet? I am excluding office depot from my question.
    Sure. Staples (Cendyne and Pioneer 105), Fry's Electronics (they sell more 105's before 9:00 AM than most stores sell all day), CostCo, Ultimate Electronics, CompUSA.

    Also YMMV, as my local Best Buy DOES carry Pioneer A05. They are typically sold out.

    Stocks will always vary by chain and location. We all recognize this. Remember, the market once groaned under the weight of HSTs and Betamaxes. The measure of a format should be its adherence to the standard, its price, and its ubiquity to the user. DVD-R/W succeeds on all three counts.
    -MPB/AZ
    Quote Quote  
  23. That's because the G04's are DA NUTZ and there has been nothing bad to report. 4x burning speed, cheap as hell ($1.40-1.80 each, for 4x media this is exceptional) and outstanding data retention and playback quality.
    That's my point, jacknit claimes that ALL unbranded media is crap. I've actually seen more reports of verbitum dvd-r's having issues than generic sony's or accus.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Actually I am waiting for the big DVD*R vs. DVD%R debates. Maybe someone can invent a DVD#R too so we get more time to argue.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Chattanooga, TN
    Search Comp PM
    www.cdfreaks.com

    Pioneer is coming out with an AO7 8X DVD-R burner before years end. Eat my dust suckas.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    yall win. i going to take my dvd+r dvd recorderable drives back to the store. they are a peice of crap and the media cost too much .
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by vance43211
    yall win. i going to take my dvd+r dvd recorderable drives back to the store. they are a peice of crap and the media cost too much .
    finally somebody got some sense.




    Quote Quote  
  28. they are a peice of crap and the media cost too much
    Well DVD+R isn't that bad. Frankly I don't even think they are in anyway worse than DVD-R physically. Just media is kinda on the expensive side.
    Quote Quote  
  29. just think about somebody like me who, here in italy, still has to buy his recorder because:
    1) he's too much confused reading posts like this
    2) two of the biggest on line store here have only these models with these prices (euro):
    + r ones: nec nd1000a 226, nec nd1100a 289, ricoh mp5125a 489;
    - r ones: pioneer dvr105 356, teac dv-w50e 343, toshiba sd-r5002 238.
    as you can see, not so much choice. worst thing: no sony multiformat writer.
    my thought is: if you need to write dvds for your own purpose just ensure your writer is compatible with your player, if you want to share them with other people, well, two choices: hope you're lucky, or buy the sony (that here is almost impossible to find, only an external version for 646 euros !!!!!!!!!!!!!).
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vance43211
    yall win. i going to take my dvd+r dvd recorderable drives back to the store. they are a peice of crap and the media cost too much .
    for the record. i was bulls*#tingl
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads