VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I made a SVCD with chapters. I used VCDEasy.
    When playing back, I observe:
    - Access to chapters via numeric keys: OK
    - Access to previous chapter with "previous" key: OK
    - Access to next chapter with "next" key: does not work!!!!
    What could be the source of the problem?
    I can provide a copy of the xml file if someone would like to check.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are you using perhaps a Cyberhome CH505?
    The firmware of this DVD player has a bug which does not allow the next key function if there is only one track on the CD. You can solve this error by adding a second track on the CD.

Jürgen
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hello Jürgen,
    YES I have a Cyberhome 505!
    Do you mean that adding a second MPEG sequence (even so small as a fraction of a second) on the SVCD will solve the problem (navigating though chapter on the first main sequence)?.
    In my 505, the firmware is still 668; do you think that an upgrade to firmware 669 would remove the bug?
    Thank you
    Michel
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure about regards the firmware, or whether the bug will completely go away with the additional track (though it probably will-burn 1 and see), but remember that an additional MPEG sequence is laid out as a TRACK. Tracks have the requirement that they be a minimum of 4 seconds. Other than that, burn away...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Michel

yes I meant to add a second MPEG file as normal sequence track. But as Scott mentioned this MPEG file must be at least 4s long. Otherwise you will violate the VCD standard.
    I am already using the latest firmware 669 and it does still have this bug. A new firmware is now expected since months where it is said that this bug is fixed. The latest forecast is a new firmware release within the next two weeks but this was said several times in the past.

Jürgen
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hello Jürgen,

I will try your solution.

By the way, a have made a VCD 2.0 with mpeg stills on it (pictures) and a menu at the beginning, in the form of a video that repeats itself until you press a numeric key that brings you to a set of pictures, etc.
    In that case, I suppose I do have multiple sequences on my disc (the menu video sequence + all pictures).
    Even with this disc, the "next" key does not work, though it should according to you, isn't it?

Michel
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Michel,

yes I had the same problem with picture still CDs as you described. And also here I solved this problem by adding one additional sequence tracks to the already existing track. The menu and all the other pictures are not sequence tracks but segments which does not help to solve this firmware bug.

Jürgen
    Quote Quote  
  8. Jürgen,
    Thank you for your answer.
    I don't understand the difference between segment and sequence.
    I think what I have done is to add segments (menus, still pictures) and not sequences.
    Could you tell me how to add sequences on a disc with VCDEasy?
    Thank you in advance.
    By the way, maybe the brand new FW 20.710 will solve the problem...
    Michel
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Michel,

sorry for confusing you a little bit with technical details.
    In fact if you add still pictures (or menu pictures) to a (S)VCD then these are automatically added as segments. You can see that VCDEasy has an empty box at the beginning of the line with the file-name of the picture.
    You are only allowed to add still pictures as segments to the CD and not as sequence track. So you should not change this.
    If you add a video-mpeg file then VCDEasy automatically add this file as a sequence track. There the box at the start of the line is checked. In normal circumstances this is the correct adjustment and you need to change this only in exceptional cases.
    Now you have to make sure that you have included at least two video-mpeg files as a sequence track (at least to boxes are checked). Then you will see on the display of your DVD-player that you have two tracks on the CD and then the next key is working well.

I hope that the above work-around is really not necessary any more with the new firmware which has been released this week. But I have not tested this firmware until now.

Jürgen
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you a lot Jürgen. It is now clear for me!
    Michel
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello Jürgen,
    The problem (and many others) are now solved with the new FW for the 505.
    Michel
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello Michel,

yes it is true that a lot of topics have bee improved with the new firmware. So the problem with the previous is gone. But now we have a new problem: The PBC return function does not work any more with the new firmware!

Jürgen
    Quote Quote