VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: What a/v format do you use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'd like to know what a/v combinations are mostly used.

btw, i left mpeg1/2 out because im mostly interested in the other compression formats in this poll.
    PlaiBoi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    non of those certainly
    Quote Quote  
  3. For e-mailing short clips I use WMV,that way I know the recipient can play it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. @BJ_M
    then what combo do you use?
    PlaiBoi
    Quote Quote  
  5. if 2cd's is a over kill then i go divx 5.02/mp3 vbr
    mostly i go for divx/ac3
    Quote Quote  
  6. What about Quicktime?
    Quote Quote  
  7. quicktime cant even compare to these other formats...but if you think its good, then go 4 it.
    PlaiBoi
    Quote Quote  
  8. looks to me like divx/mp3 is used the most. What do you guys think of OGG? Any reason for not using it with DivX? Also, i thought that XviD was used more, but i guess its not. Any reason behind this? I understand thats unstable right now...but anything else?

I like the looks of WMV/WMA, but the ONLY drawback i see is editing. I have some WMV files and i cant join them together unless i go recompress it again...and WMV encoding is SLOW! It makes good quality files though, comparable to, if not better than divx or xvid. But, WMV/WMA looks very promising to me, because Microsoft along with Pansonic have developed HighMAT. If this gains alot of market share and we see alot of players with HighMAT capability, WMV/WMA will be great.

Anyone else have any thougts/ideas? Share em...
    PlaiBoi
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a quicktime guy personally.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Why? (curious)
    PlaiBoi
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by PlaiBoi
    looks to me like divx/mp3 is used the most. What do you guys think of OGG? Any reason for not using it with DivX? Also, i thought that XviD was used more, but i guess its not. Any reason behind this? I understand thats unstable right now...but anything else?
    i heard OGG is better then ac3.
    i plan to try it out,but i dont fully understand it right now, so i have to do some more reading.

quicktime!!! :hahaha:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    quicktime is a wrapper as is avi .. quicktime files are used in many high end NLE programs and quicktime can use many different codecs (as avi). Apple Final Cut Pro (which many video's are edited on) use quicktime..

you really have two groupings here --- pro or semi pro editing and middle step compression or storage of ripped dvd's (for the most part) ..

the two do have some middle ground but you will have some really wildly different opinions depending on ones background ..

you will find a lot of people use DV as their primary storage media when they are shooting live for later NLE also ..
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search PM
    Okay, laugh all you want.....
    what the hell is RV/RA ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    real.com (audio/video)
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    plaiboi: how could you post a new topic in this forum???? Didn't you get a message that you cant post???? Only moderators should be able to post....I think...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    plaiboi: how could you post a new topic in this forum???? Didn't you get a message that you cant post???? Only moderators should be able to post....I think...
    lol
    Perhaps only moderators and those with 'sexy lady' avitar's can post a poll!
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This poll was moved into this forum. I assume by BJ_M.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Okey. Then I don't have to keep searching what is wrong with the permissions settings any longer.
    Quote Quote  
  19. The three main formats for video are DV AVI, Quicktime and MPEG. DivX and its variants are really only for file sharing.
    Quote Quote  
  20. None of the above.

mpeg2/.ac3 5.1
    mpeg2/.dts
    mpeg2/.ac3 stereo

8)
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by damnim
    None of the above.

mpeg2/.ac3 5.1
    mpeg2/.dts
    mpeg2/.ac3 stereo

8)
    I'll second that!!!!! i thought RV/RA stood for real video & real audio, as in REAL IE: GOOD, not that real.com crap!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime?

(EddyH goes on a rampage killing everyone in the thread who said they supported QT)

RAAAGH. QT is the evil AOL-like thingy of the video world. Hate hate hate hate hate.
    Mostly because it's taken over the music video/CDExtra domain for reasons I can't fathom, making them nasty to watch and listen to, and fairly nasty to convert too (though I can't deny some moderate success with a variety of quicktimes - still, not quite as good or convenient as being able to simply slap an artist-original MPG into a music VCD compilation). That and the completely gonzo copy of a hard-to-get movie that came as a half quicktime, half divx that required double conversion and muxing.

Basically QT gives wierd interlace artifacts, bizarrity with framerates, and all round trouble with conversion; dont even get me started on trying to watch the things with fullscreen and some modicum of sensible control over the picture et al. AVI tends to be a lot 'nicer'.

Even so, it still whips RealMedia hands down for anything but low-rate intercasts.

Personal pick - DivX AVI / MP3 (CBR for preference). Quite possibly the lowest quality on there except WMV or RA (which are generally limited by low bitrates anyway). However, easily the most compatible without -very much- of a quality drop per kbit, and there's a LOT to be said for that. (Why else would VCDhelp exist - MPG1 video with MP2 sound itself isnt exactly the most efficient system but certainly the widest supported).

If only the codecs were more widespread and it didn't do odd nasty things to every other computer i've seen it on, it'd be XviD and OGG instead. I like ogg's sound quality and efficiency and XviD gives some fairly sweet results. However they're a complete pain in the backside compatibility wise (Xvid it seems can't even decide what framerate it has - 23.976, 29.97, or 30... but that might just be my copy of TMPGEnc playing up)

AC3, bleh, how many people REALLY have functional surround sound setups on their computer? How many have facilities for easily converting the AC3 stream to something usable on a prologic VCD/SVCD or multichannel SVCD/DVD... i'll bet a lot of people on here only have stereo TV setups anyway Save the bits for the picture..
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  23. I would like to use laserdisc. But don't know how to burn.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The only format listed above that I use is DivX with AC3 sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well EddyH, I love QUICKTIME!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    /me smacks tgpo around a bit with a large trout

OUT, DEMONS, OUT!!!

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

YOU SHALL BE CLENSED IN OUR LORD MPG'S NAME!

raaa!
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by EddyH
    /me smacks tgpo around a bit with a large trout

OUT, DEMONS, OUT!!!

THE POWER OF CHRIST COMPELS YOU!

YOU SHALL BE CLENSED IN OUR LORD MPG'S NAME!

raaa!
    LOL!!!!!!!! 8) :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    None of these above as I mostly use my PVR's MPEG-2 codec and MPEG-1 Layer-II sound. Interlacing from TV is automatically elliminated using this video capture program.

I only occasionally use DivX with PCM stereo sound using VirtualDub as well as Microsoft's MPEG 4.

I use Mp3 for music in the hard drive.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by EddyH
    ...it's taken over the music video/CDExtra domain for reasons I can't fathom, making them nasty to watch and listen to, and fairly nasty to convert too (though I can't deny some moderate success with a variety of quicktimes - still, not quite as good or convenient as being able to simply slap an artist-original MPG into a music VCD compilation)...
    Linkin Park's new Release Meteora has a VCD compliant music video and a 17 minute interview that is 320x240. The album is so short (36min), it could fit it 250 megs of extra multimedia content.
    as far as this topic goes, i use OGM w/ogg audio, xvid w/ac3, and alot of other MPEG-4 video.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Coo, that's promising
    Too bad their videos tend to be a bit flaccid and cant stand up very well to the innumerate LP-AMV versions!

...DivXs with PCM sound... O_O (hehe)
    Quote Quote