VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Buying DVD Audio Disks...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Why not just buy the CD?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by tgpo
    Why not just buy the CD?
    Exactly....that's why I voted "waste of money".
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    never heard of them! is it AC3 audio just on a dvd disc?
    Inovate Don't imatate
    Quote Quote  
  4. Sounds more like a selling geek dream to replace something that already does its job well but can use this to resell what the user already has.

PS: If I cant make it I dont want it!!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Sord_Fish
    never heard of them! is it AC3 audio just on a dvd disc?
    http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/faq/dvd-audio/faq_1.htm#What%20is%20DVD-Audio?
    Quote Quote  
  6. if i am correct i think i've seen these dvd's....if i am right i think i saw one at Best Buy...it was Sting...it was only his music but it had a picture slideshow while the music played...if i want DVD audio i'll just put my mp3's on a CDR and play through my DVD player ..LOL..if i want DVD audio then it better have some video with it or a concert like The Eagles When Hell Freezes over...Awsome DVD especially if you have 5.1 and not just pro-logic.......that could be another topic question...who has DTS, 5.1, Pro-logic, or good ol fashioned TV set speakers......
    Quote Quote  
  7. also, tgpo, i am glad to see another fan of The Evil Dead... but that can be another topic.....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bleah...

"DVD-audio" = Yet another music industry attempt to resell us the same albums we already own. I'm quite happy with what I already have and besides, what passes for 'popular music' is garbage. I'm also kind of attached to paying $18 for a product that really only costs about 50 cents-$1 to press. (yes, I'm being sarcastic)

Here's to hoping the forthcoming so-called "Fall of the Music Biz" really happens. The dinosaurs have had their day.

Yautja666
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would buy into DVD-AUDIO if they passed out recorders as well. I dont want to buy another problem with more software protection on it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have TWO DVD AUDIO TITLES:
    POWAQUATSI by Philip Glass (classical)
    Billville by THE FIRESIGN THEATRE (comedy)
    I Can listen to the AC3 track on any of 'em in any DVD playing device I have because theres a complete duplicate TITLE SET of VOB's that consist of normal DVD quality audio , as well as the 24 bit info in the AUDIO TS folder for the first time!
    The Only way to play the TITLE PROPERLY is with a DVD-AUDIO PLAYER
    (through your Television's speakers I don't think so)
    Or With a AUDIGY 2 or imitation in your computer...
    I'm trying to hook mine up right now, just dunno how to get the surround audio to the AUDIGY CARD --does it come thru' the 80pin IDE CABLE to the MOBO and then throgh PCI bus to CREATIVE?
    meanwhile
    the DVD audio section in my local CD store seems to shrink weekly!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I bought one. Metallica/Metallica.

I'd most likely buy more, if they had a better metal selection. (Where's Lamb of God, Slayer, Pantera......)

The sound Q, is slightly better than a standard CD, but most wouldn't notice or care.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    If it's in surround sound, then it might be worth a look - or one day I finally save up the five-figure sum necessary to get a sound system good enough to show up the limits of CD (including the super-bit system or whatever it is, HDCD... yknow... the 20-bit thingy compatible with normal players, supported by microsoft).

Otherwise, feh. At least 50% of my unique stored music has never been anything else (to my exposure) than an MP3 so DVDA (hehe) can kiss my shiny metal... "A".
    As for everything else, full on 1411kbit/s CDDA does the job just fine. Especially as everyone seems to be intent on pushing the boundaries of compression just a little bit more than the last guy, it may as well all be in 8bit Mu-law or ADPCM..

(now, classical pieces, there might be an argument for, but 90% of classical discs i've heard, they can't seem to figure out how to set the levels right anyway so there's at best a -75 to -80db noise level, compared to CD's -90db or better..)
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  13. right now the negatives out-way the positives
    Justin
    :agree:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I no longer buy music, whether on the CD or DVD. Too expensive with copy protection.

Playing music from the computer's hard drive is much better and convenient using my old music collection put away.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    hmm, now

regular CD = 44.1 stereo 16 bit = 176kbyte/s
    stereo DVDA at full settings = 192, 24bit = 1152kbyte/s
    six channel at supported max = 96, 24bit = 1728kbyte/s

6.5 and 9.8 times difference in each case. some data wastage for stereo that won't noticably be any better unless you have highly tuned ears, a quiet room and some *high*, high end stereo equipment (obviously thats who this is sold for of course... wierdos ). and for surround, DTS would probably do the trick just as well... DD if you could find some way to increase the bitrate and frequency ceiling juuuuuust a little. both of which run at less than LPCM..
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  16. I have a decent surround sound system that I enjoy movies with. It's not high end (of course that is a relative term) It's an Onkyo TX-DS898, with 7 NHT speaker system. The music on a good surround movie is ALWAYS much more impressive than any CD I have every played.

If they bring out DVD Audio, based on good 7.1 surround, I'd buy them. No comparison!

But if you don't have the system to play it, it would be a waste of money.
    Thanks
    Roger
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by dcsos
    I have TWO DVD AUDIO TITLES:
    POWAQUATSI by Philip Glass (classical)
    Billville by THE FIRESIGN THEATRE (comedy)
    I Can listen to the AC3 track on any of 'em in any DVD playing device I have because theres a complete duplicate TITLE SET of VOB's that consist of normal DVD quality audio , as well as the 24 bit info in the AUDIO TS folder for the first time!
    The Only way to play the TITLE PROPERLY is with a DVD-AUDIO PLAYER
    (through your Television's speakers I don't think so)
    Or With a AUDIGY 2 or imitation in your computer...
    I'm trying to hook mine up right now, just dunno how to get the surround audio to the AUDIGY CARD --does it come thru' the 80pin IDE CABLE to the MOBO and then throgh PCI bus to CREATIVE?
    meanwhile
    the DVD audio section in my local CD store seems to shrink weekly!
    Hey,

I was just wondering, are the DVD-Audio titles you have DVD-5 or DVD-9. And which form of copy protection (if any).

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  18. I checked one out at best buy. It only had abotu 10 songs and thats even less than a cd obviously so why buy it just for surround sound?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Another vote for : I just buy the regular Audio CD

The sound Q, is slightly better than a standard CD, but most wouldn't notice or care.
    MP3's sound like crap, but then again there are those that think MP3 and divx video are high quality. Nice that they are happy.

and
    ......regular CD = 44.1 stereo 16 bit = 176kbyte/s
    stereo DVDA at full settings = 192, 24bit = 1152kbyte/s
    six channel at supported max = 96, 24bit = 1728kbyte/s

6.5 and 9.8 times difference in each case. some data wastage for stereo that won't noticably be any better unless you have highly tuned ears, a quiet room and some *high*, high end stereo equipment (obviously thats who this is sold for of course... wierdos ).
    I like to feel i (had) 'tuned ears' .Years ago I could tell the difference between vinyl (remember LP's) and CD's.The LP sounded more alive somehow less harsh( hard to explain - must be heard). Now I am just happy to sit back in the lay-z-boy and enjoy some Floyd CD's on my average HarmonKardon/Klipsch system.
    Although I wouldn't spend my money on a new DVD audio player ,I do feel they are catering to (as pointed out earlier) a select market.
    By upping the sampling they are trying to 'emulate' the analog sine wave (less stepping) - the 'fullness' of analog the convience of digital.

][
    Quote Quote  
  20. Heard of them, but never seen any.
    Quote Quote