VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What is (or is going to be) the greatest trilogy ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry but I have to spot check this!!

If he had of left a note saying bring extra petrol then he wouldn't have got stranded and having to leave a note!!!!

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  2. Time: One circular pain in the neck!

PS: How about Robotech. The three section of three different shows united with "creative" editing! or does a trilogy need to be 3 or more items. No wont get into Tenchi movies or OVA.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Excuse me all, but i without no doubt think back to the future...it can't be bad...and then it'll break rocky's 5,000,000th triolegy record...go back to the future
    Quote Quote  
  4. Vito and Michael just called and said they would "make me deal I couldnt refuse....."
    I didnt refuse and am not sleepin wit da fishes so I voted for The Godfather!!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Godfather is definately the best trilogy!!! 8) :P
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lord of The Rings will be a good trilogy also.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of the trilogys mentioned above are good, but in my opinion, a truly outstanding trilogy is one that stands the test of time and one that folks never grow tired of viewing--the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc viewing is just as good as the first. The Star Wars trilogy comes to mind--heck I remember seeing the first Star Wars movie in 1976 at the London Paladium (with quadrophonic sound) while a member of the USN stationed in the UK. Additionally, I place trilogies in two categories: Serious trilogys and Fun trilogies (or Adult and Teen). As a teenager in the late sixties and having read the Hobbit, Lord of the Rings and Simarilion (sp?), I've waited an awfully long time for someone to put out a decent rendition of JRR Tolkien's vision. I didn't think it was possible given the amount of detail in these books, but Peter Jackson has done an outstanding job in the Fellowship and Two Towers. If you've read the book, you know what's coming next and I wait in anticipation. So, to make a long story short and my favs:

Serious (Adult) trilogies: Godfather, Lord of the Rings, Alien
    Babylon 5 (not a trilogy but a serious, adult oriented
    scifi series that I favor over George Lucas
    Starwars world)

Fun (Teen) trilogies: Starwars, Indiana Jones, Back to the Future

And I'm sure I've missed some. However, I believe, older fans will vote for the more serious type trilogies over the fun ones. The fun ones may stand the test of time but lose some of its luster after many viewings while the serious ones won't.

Rico49
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Originally Posted by JamesB69
    I liked Back to the Future 2
    me too

also, wheres an option for TGPO
    I am not TGPO
    Nope, that's abundantly clear in the level of humour you've just displayed in responding to a joke
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well, I obviously did not get the joke, I thought it was a serious question, where is the option for TGPO.

As TGPO has posted most of the polls in this forim he has included a TGPO option.

I was just pointing out that it was not TGPO that started the poll, but me, hence no TGPO option. I did not realise that humor was mandatory in the response to the question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I obviously did not get the joke, I thought it was a serious question, where is the option for TGPO.

As TGPO has posted most of the polls in this forim he has included a TGPO option.

I was just pointing out that it was not TGPO that started the poll, but me, hence no TGPO option. I did not realise that humor was mandatory in the response to the question.
    Congratulations, you've done it again.
    In such a light-hearted, friendly and well-meaning forum I'd have expected more from a moderator.
    I'd be disapointed if tgpo *didn't* include a tgpo option, perhaps I should make a request to Baldrick that all your comedy-free, earth shatteringly serious polls *do* include a tgpo option, what do you think?
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    How about a new poll for voting for the worst #2 movie in a trilogy series? Temple of Doom or Empire Strikes Back....tough call with was cheesier :P

Matrix is an odd call, with 2 movies in 1 year, but I think they are following the "do it all at once and release it over time" theory.
    umm Empire Strikes Back is reguarded as one of, if not the, best sequel in movie history. Temple of Doom was not good. But among Star Wars fans, I dare say the majority put ESB as the top movie in the series.
    I definately agree with you on SW-ESB, although there's something about the first release of a series of movies that really shakes it for me.
    There's nothing like the impact of the first movie.

Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    Oh and anybody who votes for LOTR must definitely be too young to even understand Star Wars. I mean there is sort of a generation gap between these. Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Godfather all were made in the 70's and 80's. Die Hard, Back to the Future were in the middle. Then you got CGI LOTR, Matrix, Jurrasic Park.
    Anybody who votes for LOTR must definitely be too young to even understand Star Wars?
    Oh for crying outr loud, GIVE ME A BREAK!!!
    How difficult is it?
    Like yourself I saw all three SW movies at first realease, and the reason I voted for these were
    a) the were suberb and
    b) they left an impact on me at an impressionable age.
    I don't doubt had they *just* been released now I would prefer them to LORT, but to assume someone who prefers otherwise doesn't understand them?
    Jeesh, how self-involved are you?
    And not a good poll?
    Oh dear.
    Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!
    These results aren't going to be sent to Tony Blair, they aren't going to be printed in tomorrow's edition of the Mail, they're simply a refelection of the mood of the group and a balance of ages.
    You're not the guy who thought Darth Vader was sexy are you?
    Hope not.
    Try respecting other people's opinion, don't fall into the same trap Bush has.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  12. I think now you are taking things too seriously, and I really dont see how I have managed to offend you.

TGPO includes a TGPO option in his polls to add humor and presumably to personalise the polls. Why when I submit a poll would I include a TGPO option (like I said I am not TGPO), do you include a TGPO option when you submit polls ?

I was simply pointing out to the previous poster that there was no TGPO option because TGPO did not start the poll.

Hope this clears things up, it was not my intention to offend anybody or to be humourless, I was simply repling to a question.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think now you are taking things too seriously, and I really dont see how I have managed to offend you.
    You hadn't offend me.

TGPO includes a TGPO option in his polls to add humor and presumably to personalise the polls. Why when I submit a poll would I include a TGPO option (like I said I am not TGPO), do you include a TGPO option when you submit polls ?
    Yup.
    I find them almost part of the furniture here and if by me including it they make one person smile here then I'm glad I did it.

Originally Posted by Silky31
    How about...

"I'm in...."

1) Construction
    2) Medical
    3) Clerical
    4) Computers
    5) tgpo's bathtub
    etc.
    Just a thought
    Will
    The trouble with democracy is every stupid b*****d get's a vote.

Originally posted 'in new polls ideas'

I was simply pointing out to the previous poster that there was no TGPO option because TGPO did not start the poll.
    I know Craig, I know.

Hope this clears things up, it was not my intention to offend anybody or to be humourless, I was simply repling to a question.
    I know Craig, but there are way's and means, that was my point
    (note the )
    I find myself coming back to this forum not always for assistance, but for a smile, even a laugh.
    Simple
    Enjoy the rest of the weekend, what's left of it
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  14. 1. I am new to the poll thing and began wondering what the deal with TGPO was and now i have it, he makes the polls so he puts in an option for himself. It was a serious question because I thought he made all the polls

2. i was not trying to come across as harsh as i sounded in my post about LOTR and SW but still I just dont think the poll is accurate with the generation thing. I am not saying SW should win or LOTR should not, just being generations apart, it doesnt seem that it works, IMHO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't like Star Wars or LOTR.
    Quote Quote  
  16. I liked the Indiana Jones series(the 3rd one was my fav), but I think LOTR is going to be a great trilogy, even though I've only seen the first one.

Quote Quote  
  17. Another intersting trilogy is the Director Howard Hawks Calvery pictures.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i was not trying to come across as harsh as i sounded in my post about LOTR and SW but still I just dont think the poll is accurate with the generation thing. I am not saying SW should win or LOTR should not, just being generations apart, it doesnt seem that it works, IMHO.
    I think what's more amazing is (as of writing this) seven people voted for Jussasic Park!!!!!!!!!!
    Each to their own, it'd be a boring place if we all had the same opinion!
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  19. I liked the first Jurassic Park, but how unique can you make getting stuck on an island with loose dinousaurs? the original was great though.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the original was great though.
    I like the original too. :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    Evil Dead!!!!
    That reminds me: Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead. Classics. TGPO, any thoughts?
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    BEST TRILOGY EVER is DEAD OR ALIVE
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Rambo Trilogy is a great also!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So is Die Hard! :P
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by ZippyP.
    I guess we'll have to wait and see about LOTR, but up to now The Godfather series is widely regarded as the best.
    I think many of the Sci-Fi movies will lose favor due to their special effects being outdated over time. So movies like The Godfather which rely little on special effects (except bullet wounds) hold up better with time (especially when you have world renound actors in it). The only negative of Godfather trilogy is that III is nowhere near as good as I & II.
    Cendyne/Pioneer 105 & 104 with a Dazzle* Hollywood DV-Bridge.
    Quote Quote  
  26. As of this posting, there are seven votes for Jurassic Park. Who are these people??

I might as well put in my vote for The Toxic Avenger.

-Robert
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Terminator too! :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well being a big fan of tolkien I have to vote for LOTR. Even though the movie did change some of the books they did an excellent job casting characters and with the visuals of the movie.

Some other triology or series movies:

Mortal combat series
    Batman movies
    mission impossible (yes 3 is coming in 2004)
    spy kids
    rush hour
    scary movie
    austin powers
    007 movies
    Revenge of the nerds
    Teenage mutant ninja turtles
    Nightmare on Elm Street
    Friday the 13th
    Alien
    Star Trek
    Mummy (if you count scorpion king)

...the list goes on forever.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I forgot about the Friday the 13th trilogy. :P
    Quote Quote  
  30. I voted for SW trilogy but I liked Back to the Future trilogy equally. Silky31 (Will) wrote that the true test of the trilogy is one which stands to the test of the time. I definitely agree. The Star Wars and Back to the Future trilogies are those that I can watch over and over again and never get bored.

I did not vote for LOTR as I haven't seen the second part. I definitely liked the first part. Down the time line I may change my preference to LOTR trilogy. LOTR has definitely makings of a super trilogy.

The other trilogies, IMHO, thrive on the brilliance, originality, popularity and appeal of the first movie in their respective list.
    *** My computer can beat me at chess, but is no match when it comes to kick-boxing. ***
    Quote Quote