VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE, THEIR IS CURRENTLY A "SMALL" PROBLEM WITH THE MANUAL FILE DELETION PROCESS. APARENTLY THE DVD PLAYER COMPLAINS THAT THEIR ARE FILES MISSING. THIS SHOULD BE SORTED SOON, IF YOU CAN HELP PLZ POST HERE:
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=461577#461577

THE BEST WAY TO COPY A DVD-9 TO A DVD-5 (DVDr)

PROGRAMS REQUIRED:
    DVD DECRYPTER- www.dvddecrypter.com
    MENU EDIT- To get this program a do a search in the foroum at www.doom9.org
    DVD2DVDr- www.dvd2dvdr.de
    CCE- This program must be obtained by yourself as vcdhelp does not endorse piracy.
    IFOEDIT- www.doom9.org and go to the software page.
    IMGTOOLS- www.doom9.org.

IF ANY MODERATOR KNOWS THE LINKS TO ANY OF THESE PROGRAMS FEEL FREE TO EDIT THE LINKS!!

First off note the following:

This guide is not the fastest way or the easiest way to copy a DVD, its the best. Many users are going the route of instant copy which gives very inferior quailty when put along side an encoder like CCE. Many users want their copied DVD to look very professional and also want the best possible quailty. The thing is to keep it professional they decide to keep the fancy menus. The problem there is that these are linked to extras etc,, which eat up space on our DVD-r and then make our main movie look crap. So the whole idea of this guide is to allow the user to keep the menus, but ditching any unwanted extras by deleting the button for accessing them. This is done by the easy to use free program, menuedit. So on forth to the guide.

PART 1-DVD DECRYPTER

Fire up DVD decrypter and in file mode press CTRL+A to select all the files. Rip them to a folder in the route of your main drive and call it VIDEO_TS ex:- (C:\VIDEO_TS).

that was easy wasn't it?

PART 2-MENU EDIT
    Now this isn't really a difficult part when done properly, so take your time. First off open up your fav DVD watching program. I use power DVD. Look at the main menu of the film. Heres mine of shrek:

Now we can see that we want to remove the button which leads to the "special faetures" and also on the top left there is a button which leads to another kareoke special feature which we will also want to delete.
    So open up menu edit and open up shrek in it. You will end up with something like this:

Now there are some things to note about this screen, vob cell id 1,2,5 all have 6 buttons. This means there is a likely chance that the main menu is in the film more then once, thus we will have to remove the buttons on all re-curring menus. So open up 1 and this is what we get:

The buttons I have selected to be del'ed are highlighted in red. When you have selcted the buttons you wish to have del'ed then press delete on the bottom right of the screen (If you can't see it then highier your screen res). Remember what I said about reacurring menus? Well the next vob id 2 also haas the same menu so delete the buttons there also.
    And now you have edited the menu!!! easy wasn't it???

PART 3-MANUAL FILE REMOVEL
    Now you need to know a slight bit about how DVDs are stored to do this next bit, buts its real easy so don't panic. Open up your VIDEO_TS folder and set arrange icons by name, so that they are alphabetically listed. Then set your view to details and you will get something like this:

Now listen very carefully, look at the file sizes and there names. There should be a set of files together that are quite large, in this case its the set vts_01. This is your main movie so stay clear of that. Start looking down the list and you will see sets like vts_02, now open the vts_02 vob in a DVD playing program and you will see that its an extra, in our case "the tech of Shrek". So del the vob file but to be safe leave the .BUP and .IFO files alone. Do this for as many extras as you can find. It should be noted that vts_5 in Shrek is actually the opening sequence so obvisouly you can't del that.
    You have now finnished manual file removel.

PART 4- ARE WE THERE YET??
    Now you could be already finnished your movie! This is as in some cases the main movie+menu is under the 4.3gb limit we have on a blank DVD-r. So as a quick check select all the files left in the VIDEO_TS folder and right click and check the size. It should be noted that DVDs keep there files in a different way then your harddrive so allow for a bit of a buffer. If it is small enough then you can author the files in whatever way you want however I reccomend using "imgtools" Anyway in our case "Shrek" we are over that limit so we must continue on to the next part!

PART 5-DVD2DVDr
    There are a few settings in DVD2DVDr which you must change, but not many. But lets start with the first page.

Right in the input selection choose your route drive as the input drive,then choose the main film vts, in the case of Shrek its vts_1. If you get a box about mutiangles choose the first angle. As for everything else, leave it as in the picture.

Right I aint going to bother explaining all of this, just one or two things. Go to your VIDEO_TS folder and select all the files apart from the main movie files, right click and see what size they are. Take note of this, add about 10megs and put this in the MB reserved box in DVD2DVDr. Also while you can change the max and min bitrates, the avg birate will be calcualted automatically for you.
    There is nothing that needs to be changed in the last page of settings so I wont bother explaining any of it.

PART 6-AUTHORING
    Now we come to the hard part, authoring. For authoring we will be using ifoedit as it is free. Fire up ifoedit.
    Click on the button that says DVD author, then author new DVD. Select all the files from the output that DVD2DVDr gave us so that everything is as in the picture. Note that you must set the correct names for the languages and put them in the right order. EX- 0x81 0x82 0x83 etc,,,,

Now select the destination for your VOB files (I reccomend a new folder called IFO output).

PART 7-PUTING IT ALL BACK TOGETHER!!!
    The grand finale!!! A very easy part to do, but very difficult to explain so listen up. Right first off we have to change the name of the vob files that ifoedit produced to match the ones in the original movie. Now if you go to were we originally ripped the movie (C:\VIDEO_TS), remember in part 3 when I showed you what the main movie files were???? Well go back their and get thier names. In my case of Shrek the main movie was named VTS_01_XX. we can see this in the picture:

So go to the files ifo edit produced and change their names to match the ones in the original movie. So if the ones in the main movie were VTS_05_XX then change them to that, the x being replaced with the number of the vob file. Now when you have renamed the ifo edit output simply delete the vob files for that VTS set in the original VIDEO_TS folder. However do not delete the IFO and BUP files or the VTS_01_01 vob file as its the one that contains the menu!!! Now cut and paste the ifo edit output files into the VIDEO_TS folder. And your done. Before trying any of this do, read this passage a few times as if you mess up here then you have ruined the whole film.

PART 7- MAKING SURE THAT EVERYTHING IS POITING WHERE IT SHOULD!
    For this we need the fantastically simple IFO update. To operate it, simpy point it at the original IFO path (the one in the VIDEO_TS folder) and the authored IFO path (the one IFO EDIT produced) and then update IFO and correct VTS sectors. Heres a pic of it in action for me.

PART 8 - AUTHORING !!!! )
    Yes its all done, a final check in any software DVD player to make sure it all works then go on to burn the image, You can burn it however you like but for best compatibility I reccomend using img tools from doom9 to make an img then burn it with DVD decrypter.

If you like this guide and it has been successful for you then plz take a sec to send me a mail telling me it has worked at:
    Muckians@gofree.indigo.ie
    DO NOT SEND ANY PROBLEMS TO THIS ADDRESS, POST PROBLEMS AT THE POST LINK BELOW!!
    Slan leat, Baker.
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MAY I POINT OUT I WILL BE UNAVAILIBLE FOR THE NEXT TWO WEEKS AND WAS UNSUCCESSFUL IN UPLOADING THE IMAGES.

SINCE I WILL BE UNAVAILIBLE TO DO SO, I HAVE MAILED THE IMAGES TO BALDRICK IN HOPE THAT HE WILL BE ABLE TO POST THEM UP HERE.

IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS GUIDE THEN POST HERE, I AM SURE SOMEDOY WILL BE ABLE O HELP YOU.

SLAN LEAT,
    BAKER
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    PLEASE !! can you post the "How To" (Pictures) that I think should be with the "How To" info on this page.... as I have spent the past 2 weeks trying to follow other Dvd rip and burn pages....Just about ready to give up and buy up-date from ME to windows xp and buy Dvdxcopy....Newbie
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yea sorry, may I warn you this guide is not for the timid.

Its a pretty hard guide especially for a noob. Its just the best thats all.

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  5. i just wanted to point out a possible link error
    Doom9.com brings you to a site for an rgp like game/story

should it be doom9.net (or doom9.org works too)

also could not find menu edit anywhere on that either
    ripping is easy, but i would just like to get my hands on that menu edit program
    Quote Quote  
  6. nevermind i found it, but it should be doom9.org (or .net both work) NOT doom9.com thanks
    Quote Quote  
  7. why do u need to author manually with ifoedit as dvd2dvdr does this all for u anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvd2dvdr does no author for me!!!!!!!! Perhaps I just set it up wrong, it didn't really finnish right.

But more to the point, has anybody found a fix for the bug I mentioned??

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Baker,
    Instead of manually removing the files by looking at them, you can try this to fix your problem. Open the original video_ts ifo in IfoEdit. Click the 'DVD Play' button. Manuever through the menu to the movie. Once the movie starts playing, click the exit button. Upon exit, IfoEdit will tell you what Title Sets were just watched. Back in the main IfoEdit program, look to see what VTS are connected to the title sets that was just viewed. Simply move those VTS vobs, ifos, and bups, plus the Video_ts ifo, vob, and bup into a seperate folder. Delete all the left over crap. Now, check to see if it works by using your favorite DVD player software (WinDVD, etc.). It should play only the menu and movie and work perfectly.

Hope this is what you were looking for.

-LakersFan :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think it is pretty arrogant to say that THIS is the BEST way, especially since it is one of the most complex and costly of the most precious commodity, time. CCE is great , wonderful and highly overated considering the price tag.

I have compared the DVD2DVDR process, DVD2ONE, DVD INSTANT copy , and my own manual method of smart rip , rempeg and IFOEDIT.

Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, all bit rates being equal, the other tools are great and require NO manual editing or manual file deletion.

Thank you for the guide, I think that is commendable, but perhaps 2 or 3 slices of humble pie ? No being offensive I hope, just bring it down a notch.

Enjoy your vacation..
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi there,
    Let's say I have authored a menu (my own one, not the one from original DVD) which links to 2 movies (VTS_01_x.VOB and VTS_02_x.VOB), I would like to keep this menu but replace with another movie (say VTS_02_x.VOB). What should I do with the IFOs? Should I keep the "OLD" VTS_02_0.IFO or should I use the "NEW" VTS_02_0.IFO? And What should I do with the VIDEO_TS.IFO? Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  12. The best guide but yet it doesn't work?
    Quote Quote  
  13. The guide seems to be a good one have not try it yet.
    Know all we need is a good "make your own menus" and "make your own subtitles". I have looked at the guide on doom9 page that tells you how to do menus but did understand zero.

Great job
    baker
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right you see none of you have coped on to the problem. Something which I never knew about and I guess you never either is that the dvd player checks to see if all the files are there. Of course in our case their not. And no you cannot replace them with dummy files I have already tried that. So we need a program for removing vts sets the proper way.

Any ideas?

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!

Just to let you guys know I have sorted D problem and will have an updated guide very soon.

I will also be updating the ifo edit part as this is were the problem occured!!!

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    uh -eh

Ahhhhhh,,, well that guide was complete shazbat.

It didn't do the trick at all.

So I am still open to help!!!!!

Baker
    My vcd & cvdGuide
    Quote Quote