VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I can only burn Ritek 4X media at 2X, tried RecordNow DX(came with drive) and DVD Decrypter. Any experiences?? this drive is supposed to be 4X straight out of the box, and ADVDinfo says the disks are Ritek 4X.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I use Traxdata media and it seems to work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only have the Ritek media, and are you using a DRU 500 AX, not just an A with upgraded firmware.

Any other AX users out there???
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well my Sony DRU500A worked flawlessly on any brand DVD-R 4x media until I updated it to the 1.0g firmware, now it only records at 2x. Anyone have a link to the orignal firmware so I can go back to what worked?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I wonder if "approved" 4X media would work on the AX, I will have to try some Pioneer media, but its expensive. There are also no firmware upgrades for the AX yet, not that I would be keen to try that.

Any AX experiences??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Bob W
    Well my Sony DRU500A worked flawlessly on any brand DVD-R 4x media until I updated it to the 1.0g firmware, now it only records at 2x. Anyone have a link to the orignal firmware so I can go back to what worked?
    I have the original one, no problem to send by email...

Well, I haven't yet find ANY 4x certified DVD writable media so I can't say if it is a problem with the new firmware.....

A.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by artemio
    Originally Posted by Bob W
    Well my Sony DRU500A worked flawlessly on any brand DVD-R 4x media until I updated it to the 1.0g firmware, now it only records at 2x. Anyone have a link to the orignal firmware so I can go back to what worked?
    I have the original one, no problem to send by email...

Well, I haven't yet find ANY 4x certified DVD writable media so I can't say if it is a problem with the new firmware.....

A.
    You would be my hero if you could send me the firmware. My email is bob@modcoinc.com
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm using a Sony DRU500A with 1.0g firmware and it burns RiTEK 4X media at 4X just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  9. If you have been following the progress of the Sony drive you know that many things effect the drives performance. The biggest and least known thing being how the drive is connected to your computer. If connected as a UDMA device instead of ATAPI it will not write at 4x speed. You may need to reconfigure how your drive is connected to your computer to burn at 4x. I can write at 4x speed successfully with firmware 1.0g.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by zeppsstteerr
    If you have been following the progress of the Sony drive you know that many things effect the drives performance. The biggest and least known thing being how the drive is connected to your computer. If connected as a UDMA device instead of ATAPI it will not write at 4x speed. You may need to reconfigure how your drive is connected to your computer to burn at 4x. I can write at 4x speed successfully with firmware 1.0g.
    Very interesting.....hum, my drive is the external one, DRU500UL and is recognised as DRU500A when connected through firewire to the PC....maybe USB2 is faster? Anyway I NEED to find certified 4x media before have the definitive word on this....

A.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I had similar problems writing 4x dvdr @ 4x. But after installing the px engine update from www.prassieurope.com it has worked ever since @ 4x.

I also found firmware 1.0f much better than 1.0g.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zeppsstteerr
    If connected as a UDMA device instead of ATAPI it will not write at 4x speed. You may need to reconfigure how your drive is connected to your computer to burn at 4x.
    okay, silly question - to reconfigure how the drive is connected, is that a Bios setting or a setting in Windows? Can you point me in the right direction?

And this is for the 500-AX, not a 500-A with upgrade firmware.

any info appreciated.

- housepig
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most of you are talking about the 500A with upgraded firmware, I have a 500AX, firmware 2.0c (from Nero), and there are no updates. Windows XP recognises the drive as DMA mode 2, same as the DVD ROM , and the 500AX is the master. I tried changing the mode to PIO only and it made no difference. RecordNow DX that came with the drive is the latest, its update manager can't find anything new.

All the burning software I tried recognises the 4X media. Just wont burn at that speed.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by GeordieBoy
    I had similar problems writing 4x dvdr @ 4x. But after installing the px engine update from www.prassieurope.com it has worked ever since @ 4x.

Do you know where I can get the 1.0f firmware?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by zeppsstteerr
    If you have been following the progress of the Sony drive you know that many things effect the drives performance. The biggest and least known thing being how the drive is connected to your computer. If connected as a UDMA device instead of ATAPI it will not write at 4x speed. You may need to reconfigure how your drive is connected to your computer to burn at 4x. I can write at 4x speed successfully with firmware 1.0g.
    How do I reconfigure the drive? Do you mean just change the IDE cable?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Bob W
    Originally Posted by GeordieBoy
    I had similar problems writing 4x dvdr @ 4x. But after installing the px engine update from www.prassieurope.com it has worked ever since @ 4x.

You can download it here: http://www.sony-cp.com/en/dvd/support/downloads/firmware/500a10f.zip

If you can't e-mail me at john@cking52.freeserve.co.uk and I will send it to you.

I use dvddecryptor to create an iso image of the dvd, them use recordnow max 4.5 to burn the image @ 4x.

If you dont have recordnow max lmk and I will tell you were to get it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Bob W
    Or here :
    http://www.sonydru500a.com/
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My SONY DRU500AX also has a problem writing at 4X with Ritek media. I lost two blank disks last night that costed me $4. It said it burnt at 4X, but I noticed that it was very slow and failed at 7%. The 2X burns like champ. I'm not sure whether it's the media or the drive. I bought the drive 10 days ago and it works flawlessly with 2X DVD-R and 2.4X DVD+R.

VCDLover
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by vcdlover
    My SONY DRU500AX also has a problem writing at 4X with Ritek media. I lost two blank disks last night that costed me $4. It said it burnt at 4X, but I noticed that it was very slow and failed at 7%. The 2X burns like champ. I'm not sure whether it's the media or the drive. I bought the drive 10 days ago and it works flawlessly with 2X DVD-R and 2.4X DVD+R.

VCDLover
    I had a similar problem that 1 in 5 4x Ritek dvdr's would burn @ 2x. I also tried 1.0g, this made it worse, as all 4x dvdr's would burn @ 2x.

SOLUTION WAS ON MINE:
    Use firmware 1.0f and upgrade your px engine from http://www.prassieurope.com/

This works a dream on my 500a 4x Ritek dvdr's burn @ 4x flawlessly.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My DRU500AX already has 2.0c. What will the px do to improve the writing speed?

vcdlover
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So if I burn a disc +R or +RW @2.4x and it takes about 25 minutes for a full 4.3GB movie, then how long is it taking all of you that claim to burn at 4x?

Just wondering if the cost is worth the time savings?

Doesn't anyone else have two computers or something else they can do while they burn a disc? Just because my Ferrari does 180MPH doesn't mean it has to all the time Apples to Oranges, I know, but is it really that important? My DRU-500A with firmware F burns at 2x for -r, 1x for -rw media and 2.4 for +r+rw media, so far with Memorex, Maxell, Sony, Optodisc, HP and Accu for both formats where applicable. Good enough for me, I've better things to worry about. You guys are lucky that burning speed is all you've got to worry about.

And as pb pointed out, the AX firmware starts differently than the A.

Burn on, dudes....
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would like to know if the PX engine update will help, but its dated Nov last year and my 4.6 ver of RecordNow DX says it is up to date for all the veratis components.

I also agree that 2X and 2.4X is good enough, but the Ritek media were a good price, and the drive is supposed to be able to do it. However, I have not had one coaster yet, even the 4X Riteks burned OK at 2X.

As I said, I will try some approved media, or if anyone with a 500AX can tell me if they have burnt at 4X.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That PX engine update is good news for A04 and A05 owners that wish to continue using PRASSI with these drives, but the update dosn't include the DRU-500.
    It also handles other newer DVD burners...
    For my experience, I will say I have burned the RITEK 4x at 4x in my FIREWIRE ENCLOSED drive.
    I bought the 500a and mounted it in an ADS PYRO encloseure.
    So Far it the only media that I've seen that does 4x
    I didn't flash my drive and it came with firmware f
    Quote Quote  
  24. yeh i found that too, friggin thing would say burning at 4x in the sony
    but its taking 30mins (2x obviously). How do you go back to 1.0f from 1.0g ?
    Quote Quote  
  25. The Px Engine update provides product updates, fixes, and new CD and DVD recorder support. Use this download to update these products.

RecordNow, RecordNow DX, & RecordNow Max
    MyCD & MyCD Pro
    PrimoCD & PrimoCD Plus, PrimoCD Pro8, PrimoCD Pro16, PrimoCD Pro64 & PrimoDVD
    Click'N Burn Plus & Click'N Burn Pro
    SonicBurn, CD Extreme, Spressa Play & Record

On my 500a with 1.0f occasionally 1in5 4x dvdr's would burn @ 2x. So I tried 1.0g. On 1.0g all my 4x dvdr's burned @ 2x, so I downgraded to 1.0f. Then updated the px engine, I have now burned at least 250 4x dvdr's all @ 4x without any coasters at all. To downgrade from 1.0g to 1.0f, just download 1.0f and install the same way as you did when you upgraded to 1.0g.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried the PX update and it made no difference. The DRU 500AX has different firmware, starting at 2.0C. I will try another brand of 4X media if I can get hold of it.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'm a bit lost now....I have the same prob with Record NowMax 4.5 It say it's burning at 4x but it only burns at 2x....I have the 1.0f firmware installed. Help Please
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Wookie
    I'm a bit lost now....I have the same prob with Record NowMax 4.5 It say it's burning at 4x but it only burns at 2x....I have the 1.0f firmware installed. Help Please
    Make sure you are not using Record and Verify setting as this takes twice as long.
    Quote Quote  
  29. No have got that unchecked...its the burn time that takes about 30 mins...... I'll try the Pxe Enginr update and post results.... they also only burn at 2x with DVD Decrypter...but at least with Record Now it said 4X but burned at 2X
    Quote Quote  
  30. Can you think that SONY could DISABLE RITEK 4x writing because media isnīt good enough to support it? If in a more advanced firmware version 4x is disabled, probably itīs because media, in tests returned bad results.

I had the same experience with some line of Intenso media - in the first firmware they could write at 2x (but some pieces, at 27%, gave errors AND some "sucessful writing" when played gave errors!), in the next version of firmware they were only written at 1x but no erros made!

I have DRU500A with 1.0g and I am very pleased with it!

Differences between DRU500A / AX? Besides the box... I canīt find any... 8)
    Quote Quote