VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. hi,

I am new here, and only found this site a week or so ago. So hello to all!

I grabbed a copy of forty two a couple of days ago, and have tried it with several dvd's such as:

Andromeda Series 1 Episodes 5 & 6
    Babylon 5 Series 1 Episode 1
    Roadhouse

Thay are all PAL DVD's by the way.

All of these seemed to do the transfering and video transcoding fine, but the first two attempts to stall at around 65 or 67 meg on the audio processing. Roadhouse is still going at the moment but after 9 hours of audio processing appears to have stopped at 175 meg on the audio output file.

A display of processes in the terminal:

12585 grep 0.0% 0:00.00 1 7 13 16K 776K 84K 1.79M
    12584 pr 0.0% 0:00.00 1 0 13 12K 764K 0K 1.79M
    12583 tail 0.0% 0:00.00 1 7 13 28K 764K 80K 1.79M
    12582 bash 0.0% 0:00.01 1 9 12 40K 324K 196K 1.02M
    12579 bash 0.0% 0:00.02 1 8 13 48K 748K 276K 1.79M
    12578 bash 0.0% 0:00.02 1 9 13 28K 744K 456K 1.79M
    554 threadSlav 13.0% 1:59:24 6 135 188 3.97M 8.12M

Am I being too impatient, or has forty-two lost it's way somwhere. This is in no way a criticism of the software, I would just like to know how long to expect a standard conversion to take and whether I have stumbled over a problem?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. P.S 800 mhz G4 with 40 gig free space and 768 meg RAM
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi,
    first I agree with you, even if I meet problems, Forty Two is a great promising tool.
    I too have audio problems with audio on PAL DVDs (at least the two I tried) : audio encoding is either stalling once it's finished (then it does not mux or create ready to burn images) or stops before it's ended.
    Out of what I could read here, it's happening to some of us, so I trust (only trust) there's something unclear with Forty-two and I trust (only trust) the authors are working hard at resolving this potential ...er...bug ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. This is starting to sound like a bug with PAL. I have attempted to transcode Star Wars Episode 2 and Ice Age to SVCD without success (both PAL, Region 2).

However Miss Congeniality (NTSC, Region 1) converted without incident over night.

I am now trying Star Wars Episode 1 (PAL, Region 2) and after that I will try another NTSC disk.
    [CRéM]^3gg
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have exactly the same problem, so there must be a bug

Hoping that they can fix this soon as I'm on my second week trying to make an decent VCD out of my VOB files with nu luck.

I will be sooo happy to make a nice donation to the fourty-two team when the application is working
    Quote Quote  
  6. Don't wait to donate! Donate now to give the developer a greater motivation to improve the application.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hello Mr 13th Saint

FYI I donated already, whereas I was not sure that the application would work. And actually it doesn't for me...and I accept it.
    So now I feel like saying : fix the bugs to encourage people to donate for future releases...

Now this is off-topic and is not towards 42, but towards thoughts I can't understand : as long as a program is free, you may have understanding when it does not work or not as expected.
    When you start to pay for it, it must work (doesn't mean it can't crash from time to time), especially when it's not mentionned to be in beta testing anymore.
    Sorry for that, but I'm sick of reading the same old sentence : send us some money then we'll consider finding a solution. Thinking this way is totally wrong... Even if Micro$oft is doing it
    I'm not paying to finance the bug correction : I'm paying for a software that does what it says.
    What if I would pay with fake dollars ? It's the same behaviour as supplying a fake application !
    Quote Quote  
  8. For kaicherry/bilestyle:

Okay, after further investigation and experimentation with my PAL DVD conversions, the results were:

All the dvd's I have tried to copy to SVCD have stalled at the end of the audio conversion, however the conversions were complete, and after muxing them with ffmpegX as XSVCD and post processing them as XA images they are complete copies and play excellently on my DVD players & Mac.

So I guess there must be a bug (of sorts) that sometimes stalls the post processing phase at the end of the audio conversion. The progress bar is still spinning etc at this stage in the forty two processing window.

cheers
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Matsaki

Hoping that they can fix this soon as I'm on my second week trying to make an decent VCD out of my VOB files with nu luck.

I don't think forty-two was designed to ever work with VOB files. Doesn't it need to original DVD? I am sure I read this somewhere.

Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Matsaki
    I have exactly the same problem, so there must be a bug

I will be sooo happy to make a nice donation to the fourty-two team when the application is working

uh the application does work.. how do u even get it to accept a vob file? we have a lot of designs in line to make sure people dont try to use vob files... it is not and will never be compatible with vob files.. the methods used within would not work w/ vobs to successfully sync, thats why no tools you use work with vob files (NTSC film OR video) don't wait for vob support cuz it wont happen. And the program does work, we neve made a claim that it works with 100% EVERY dvd.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The program works perfectly. I still don't understand why people want to have it convery vob files. If you have to get the vob files off the dvd, why not just put the dvd through forty-two?
    Quote Quote  
  12. I haven't had a problem with 42 v1.5 until yesterday... when it started to stall right after the prescans of an ntsc dvd at the transcoding part (no spaces inbetween dvd file name either).

I use dvdbackup 1.3 to put a copy of the VIDEO_TS folder on the harddrive. I then create a toast image of it and then mount it. Then I drag the mounted dvd icon into 42.

Always works great... but not on this one particular dvd I assume. Weird.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by bilestyle

uh the application does work..

...And the program does work, we neve made a claim that it works with 100% EVERY dvd.

Hey bilestyle, Any ideas why the program stalls at the end of the conversion before multiplexing and doesn't create output for my PAL DVD's? the conversions are excellent but I can't seem to get to the end of the process....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is this just a PAL problem?
    I have a list of processes that were running when it had stopped and a copy of the terminal window if that would help?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by bilestyle
    we neve made a claim that it works with 100% EVERY dvd.
    The point is bilestyle is that is works with NONE of my PAL DVDs (Stalling after video and audio processing when converting from DVD to VCD/SVCD) but works fine with my few NTSC DVDs. I'd say that was a pretty BIG BUG.
    [CRéM]^3gg
    Quote Quote  
  16. I'm doing "the sum of all fears" wich is a PAL movie, and 42 seems to hang or something displaying "encoding audio" at 380mb. It's not increesing, it just stays at 380mb.

Is this a PAL BUG??
    Quote Quote  
  17. Hi again!!

I noticed that when i selected the "biles.mpv" in the temp folder, it too was 380mb and the spinning ball appeared and wouldn't go away. I don't know if this info will help, but i thought i should tell you about it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hmm, never mind my last post about the spinning ball issue. I now think that this was because a preview was being created in the column next to it when i highlighted the file. I have my windows in column view.

Sorry!!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cremegg
    Originally Posted by bilestyle
    The point is bilestyle is that is works with NONE of my PAL DVDs (Stalling after video and audio processing when converting from DVD to VCD/SVCD) but works fine with my few NTSC DVDs. I'd say that was a pretty BIG BUG.

we realize the fact that there is a PAL audio problem... enough people have been talkin about it for long enough. Neither of us have extensive PAL material to test (me personally, i have none at all) so it very difficult for me to try and replicate and solve the problem, we'll do what we can, but don't sit here and tell me something is a BIG bug like i dont know or something. And when some people say the program doesn't work they mean because it doesn't work the way THEY want it to (ie vob file input, more customization options.. etc) and i'm sick of hearing about that. We'll do what we can to fix the problems that arise. Saying the software doesn't work is overgeneralizing, the software doesn't work in PAL mode would be a more competent statement.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by bilestyle
    Saying the software doesn't work is overgeneralizing, the software doesn't work in PAL mode would be a more competent statement.
    I never said forty-two didn't work. I in fact stated many times that it doesn't work correctly in 'PAL mode when doing a DVD to VCD/SVCD.' Never said a bad word about it in any other respect.

Originally Posted by bilestyle
    but don't sit here and tell me something is a BIG bug like i dont know or something.
    Well Bilestyle to be brutally honest you and the rest of the development team seemed to be trying to tell the users that it was just because forty-two wasn't guarenteed to work with all DVD's. I just wanted some recognition of this problem instead of hearing over and over....

[CRéM]^3gg
    Quote Quote  
  21. It seems to me that you don't want to hear about BUGs that affect PAL systems. If thats so, then be honest about it and tell people that they shouldn't expect 42 to work with PAL.

The fact is that it's pretty hard to use 42 at all if you live in PAL country.

That's NOT complaining. I think 42 is about the coolest thing that has happend on the mac platform concerning dvd conversion. But the fact remains, 42 works poorly with PAL.

I understand if you have a hard time fixing bugs on PAL since you don't have any PAL movies, but i think it's unfair to be pissed at the users in this forum just because you're out of resources.

I hope you take this critisicm as a grown up person, otherwise please accept my deepest apology.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Let me jump in here...

I *see* no reason why this isn't working. The code to do this is *EXACTLY THE SAME* in both engines...its quite a mystery to me to be perfectly honest.

As for the PAL issues in general...

PAL is working it seems in some modes, not others. I will attempt to find out why this is, but I have to tell ya RIGHT NOW its a "when I have some time" issue, as these days, supporting and improving forty-two is NOT my primary task.

It is what it is, the way it is. It was *largely unsupported* by the user base, so development has pretty much moved to the back burner. Code review and bug fixes will happen, but at a MUCH slower pace, because in all honesty, I can't afford to do it at the pace I was doing it at before.

Financially, mentally or otherwise.

So, you get what you get, when you get it.

"Sorry"...I have *paying customers* for other software and projects that need and require my attention first, and after the insane cycle of abuse I have *personally* endured, be happy its getting worked on at all.

I don't even get the bug report emails anymore unless they are "escalated" to me, because in all honesty, forty-two works for me and mine when I need it to. Since it is NOT a commercial product and its users felt it was not WORTH IT TO THEM to help make it so, for the good of all, in perpetuity, it is what it is.

Certain people of course always get my ear, because they have a vested interest in the software and its future, have donated countless hours of their time supporting it, us, and others and have sent financial support as well.

Others...well..they can piss up a rope. Sorry. Its just like Haxial put it: you do Mac software for free because you like the platform...not the users.

If you could read some of the *ballsy* email I received, you'd wonder too why even bothered in the first place. Believe it.

Just like you don't owe us your, as it has been insultingly put to me "support" or "donations" (ugh!) we don't *owe* you jack squat, and frankly, I'm sick of the whining.

If forty-two doesn't work for you, then sh*tcan it and move on.

But I suspect for many of you, the frustration comes from it being "soooo close"...

But as Mac Users, close isn't good enough for you to STFU and wait, or pitch in.

Nope. Instead, we have to suffer a barrage of "experts" pontificating on this and that, *demanding* that certain things be changed, *casting aspersions on our personal character and worth as PEOPLE*...the whole gamut of ******* elitist "typical mac User" tripe.

So yeah...

You have three choices, boys and girls:

Delete the software, move on.
    Wait for it to be fixed.
    Write your own. I'm *sure* you could do a MUCH BETTER job than we did.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hmm, sorry you feel that way kai, you sound very dissapointed. But to be honest with you, you never gave me a chance to support you.

As i said in another post, if you had a po-box i would gladly donate som dough. cause i don't have neither paypal or creditcards, i just don't trust them.

And who knows how many like me there is? As i said before, maybe you aimed to high?

Anyways, thankyou for a cool software that could have been perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Shoulda...coulda..woulda...

Yeah. I hear ya.

You know how many emails I got asking me for my address? Quite a few. Got test dvds, personal check or two, 'Sage even sent me my precious Starbucks card since I unglobalized the stats window. However...

Never got one from you.

forty-two can never *be* perfect...it can at best be good-enough.

As for aiming too high...perhaps, perhaps not. When time permits, and Europeans in general have ceased to piss me off with their "put upon" nature, than perhaps it will be remedied.

But trying to cajole, insult, "joke" or shame it into happening has about the same likelyhood of sucess as me giving live birth to the next Kentucky Derby winner.

And you're welcome. As time permits we'll try to do *what we can* to figure out the PAL issue...assuming I'm not pushed to the point where I could care less either way.

-K

Originally Posted by Mauserman
    Hmm, sorry you feel that way kai, you sound very dissapointed. But to be honest with you, you never gave me a chance to support you.

As i said in another post, if you had a po-box i would gladly donate som dough. cause i don't have neither paypal or creditcards, i just don't trust them.

And who knows how many like me there is? As i said before, maybe you aimed to high?

Anyways, thankyou for a cool software that could have been perfect.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by KaiCherry
    As for aiming too high...perhaps, perhaps not. When time permits, and Europeans in general have ceased to piss me off with their "put upon" nature, than perhaps it will be remedied.

But trying to cajole, insult, "joke" or shame it into happening has about the same likelyhood of sucess as me giving live birth to the next Kentucky Derby winner.
    [/quote]

In my humple opinion, *******s live on every continent. saying that eroupeans in general are people that pisses you of, is very LOW.

I have never said anything in any forum that was ment to insult anyone, so if you felt insulted by me, it's probably because my english is poor.

In fact, generalizing the way you did in your last post, insulted me.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by Mauserman
    Originally Posted by KaiCherry

In my humple opinion, *******s live on every continent. saying that eroupeans in general are people that pisses you of, is very LOW.[/quote]

LOL...

"You have offened me...you have offended my family...and have offended the Shaolin temple."

Yes well, I gotta tell ya man its all over the place.

"How dare you not support PAL? You Americans think that the world you should work the way YOU do..."

I got a lot of those. I should have got:

"Hey guy...is there any way you can support PAL? I realize you are in America and have no idea how this works...if there is anything I can do..."

We got *just enough* of those to make PAL work even to the degree it does now. Unfortunately, the bug reports are a bit...incohesive sometimes due to that English as a Second (or third) language thing, and all any of use speak is English and Japanese.

Of course, when I point this out, NOW I have to deal with 'well perhaps you should employ someone who can communicate..." crap.

Again, Mause, et al, you need to *try* to be a bit more understanding about this.

I have yet to get a well defined, step-by-step bug report submitted to me via email that will even give me a good idea of where to *look* for this...*especially* when the previews work.

So for now, the Official position is that forty-two's PAL support, with regard to mpeg conversions, is Hit or Miss, Your Milage (Or Kilometerage) May Vary, Good Luck, Sorry.

Best we can do right now.

As for Europeans in general...well, I like the British Douglas Adams and Joe Strummer ( man..still bummed about this) were great ones. That King George the Third (booo! hisss!)..not so much

-K
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am outraged to here all this complaining about PAL support. A few months ago fourty-two didn't even exist. Give it some time to mature!!!! If you have such a problem with PAL DVDs, practice what you preach and order DVDs from overseas (as compared to Kai doing it) and rip that instead. There are alternatives if you don't like this (FFMPEG (X or not) and Diva/3ivx, as well as other crap)

Most of the people who have worked on this project have been waiting for something like this for years...relax and show some support.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Thargok
    A few months ago fourty-two didn't even exist. Give it some time to mature!!!!
    Seems like that long to me, hehe...but in reality forty-two went from a little dvd framerate scan parser script to the full blown app it is now in about *two* months.

:hakes head::

No wonder my friends are mad at me...I haven't actually bee out much since late December

-K
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Kaicherry
    You know how many emails I got asking me for my address? Quite a few. Got test dvds, personal check or two, 'Sage even sent me my precious Starbucks card since I unglobalized the stats window. However...

Never got one from you.
    For the record: i counted my mails to you, and they ad up to three. not asking for your adress, but providing you with bug reports and suggestions.

The thing is that i was under the impression that you were going to post po-box in this forum, cause when i "pm'ed" you, you said that your wife were going to set up a po-box.

So again, clearly another missunderstanding .

Originally Posted by Thargok
    I am outraged to here all this complaining about PAL support.
    Relax Thargok, i LOVE 42. I just thought that the plan was to post feedback on things that worked, and things that didn't work. How could the software improve otherwise?

And it's not very logical for me to order ntsc movies, if i want european subs.

I'll say it again Thargok, "I REALLY LIKE 42, AND I ALSO REALIZE THAT THE PEOPLE BEHIND IT HAVE PUT DOWN A LOT OF WORK ON IT"....ok?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by Mauserman
    Originally Posted by Kaicherry

Never got one from you.
    For the record: i counted my mails to you, and they ad up to three. not asking for your adress, but providing you with bug reports and suggestions.
    Three? Hrm. If they were bug reports I may not have gotten those...they don't come to me anymore. I'll check with Chris on that.

The thing is that i was under the impression that you were going to post po-box in this forum, cause when i "pm'ed" you, you said that your wife were going to set up a po-box.

So again, clearly another missunderstanding .
    That misunderstanding would be about 3 feet of snow between us and the Post. And it just started snowing here *again* so there will be probably another foot of the crap to deal with.

I really need to move back to warmer climes, but our son is in a *really* good school here...so we suffer through

-K
    Quote Quote