VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So i read the FAQ, and I found an entry that details how to subtitle a MPG using VirtualDub and SSA, but the entry mentions that if you are using a DVD as source, it is easier to use FlaskMPEG.

So I take this to mean that if I have a DVD and a SSA script for it, I can rip the DVD and subsequently sub it using Flask?

if so, how?

If not, am I stuck doing it the VirtualDub way?

All help is appreciated...
    I like beets!
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can't encode with Flask...
    There is a way to use Flask as a frameserver so as to, Encode the dvd with Vdub placing the subs, without loosing quality...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ok, so you have a DVD source and a timed script you want to use to add subtitles. Question - does the DVD have subtitles on it already that you could use?

I think what you read was something like:

If you DVD has subtitles then you can rip the subs from the DVD. If you source is not a DVD (or the DVD lacks subtitles) you have to add the subtitles yourself with a program like SSA.

If you're DVD has a subtitle track that you want to use you there are several programs/ways to 'extract it.' To make life easier (for me anyway ) here's how to do it in VirtualDub.

1) Rip DVD to HD
    2) Use DVD2AVI to generate D2V and WAV file
    2a) optional - use tooLame to convert wav to MP2, or have TMPGenc encode wav with video (doesn't really matter)
    3) Run the VFAPI codec to generate an AVI file from your D2V
    4) Run VDub and open the D2V file
    5) Add any filters you want (resize, IVTC, etc, etc).
    To add subtitles. If you want to use the subs on the DVD you'll have to rip them. Use the VobSub filter to do so. If you want to use your won subs/SSA use the SSA filter.
    6) Frameserve to TMPGenc, and encode your MPEG.

There's a good quide for all this at:

http://www.flexion.org/video/DVDConv/DVD2AVI/

This guide is for VobSub (and has links to d/load everything you'll need) but just use the SSA plugin instead and you'll be good to go.

Let us know if you have any more questions/problems.
    Quote Quote