VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If any one has done any major upgrades, could you post how much time you save rendering AVI to MPG using TMPGEnc? I'm encoding an AVI stream from my MiniDV camcorder. I'm converting to VCD format and setting "Motion search precision" to "Highest quality". This will take my system about 11 hours for a 25 minute stream. How much time could I save if I upgrade to I P4-1.8GHz? Rendering time is really cutting into my EQ time.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I recently upgraded from celeron 433 to P4 1.7ghz.
    Don't know about camcorders but the average time for a dvd 2 vcd conversion was about 9 hours (540 min)for 90 min film with the celeron. The p4 now does this in about 70 minutes, ie. quicker than real time for vcd.

I hope this gives you some idea of the difference in power.
    Quote Quote  
  3. As to 70minutes for a film, I like to know your software & settings, I use a P4 1.4Ghz + 768 mb ram and it takes about 3.5 hours, it surprises me that with the extra 300mhz u get such a drastic change
    Quote Quote  
  4. lemme tell ya, i bought a new comp, i went from a 366mhz computer to a 1.3 Ghz AMD Athlon computer , 256 DDR ram,and it does convert things pretty quickly. a 20 minute DVD Rip w/sound already converted to 44,100Hz, to SeVCD with Highest Quality, using toolame to convert the audio to mp2, and other stuff in the advanced options, in about 38 minutes....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Riot_Inc on 2001-07-06 06:41:40 ]</font>
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Wow! Even at 3.5 hours for 70min would quite the change from my current rendering times. That definatly answers my question if it would be worth to upgrade. I was kind of considering the Dazzle DVC-II, but sounds like the MPEG isn't nearly as good as TMPGEnc. If I'm not mistaken, I think MPEG2 and MPEG can only be done capturing from an outside source connected to the input hub. I would want one to be able to compress my avi's. Anyway, thanks for the input.
    Quote Quote  
  6. silenttalk- I'm just using dvd2avi-vfapi converter-tmpgenc 12a and just normal motion search accuracy. I should say that the times I quoted for both systems did not count the ripping, audio extration, audio encoding, or multiplexing - all a least another hour and a half now.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You should consider getting a dual-processor system. If you do, you can only use Windows NT (NT 4, 2000, etc...) or Linux. Windows 9x doesn't support the extra processor, it'll work but you won't get the second processor support.

If you want my personal suggestion, get a Tyan S2462, supports 2 AMD Athlon MP processors at 266 FSB, 3GB of PC2100 DDR Ram, Dual channel Ultra 160 SCSI, ATA-100 support, 2 3com ethernet cards.

If you get the board, 2 Athlon 1.4GHz processors, 512MB RAM, that comes to $809, you'd only need to get a video card (perhaps a GeForce 2 MX 64MB @ $61), and a hard drive (perhaps an IBM DeskStar 60GXP 30GB @ $8, and you are set. And when GeForce 3 card prices come down some (they are at $319 now) , get one of those, then you are set for years.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have a duel p3-1000mhz machine with 1024M pc133 ram,w2kpro
    sp2,and I use tempgenc h and it only runs my system at 54%
    It does NOT take full advantage of both cpus, so I am getting the same as a single processor 1 ghz system, to
    process a 44 min ep of buffy the vampire slayer take about
    3 hours to mpeg 1,I have 2 drives on the system,20+40 ATA 100 drive 7200 rpm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ugh! I've got a 466mhz and it takes me 4h30min to make a VCD from a 24 minute video. So long... I've gotta upgrade. VCD in somewhat real time would be great. I wouldn't have to always leave my things overnight and only be able to convert one episode per day.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Tera, do you have the "multi-thread" option checked in the CPU tab of the Environmental settings?
    Quote Quote