VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Mac users need an application like DVD2one (PC only right now). For those who don't know what DVD2one is capable of, here's a short brief:

Transcodes DVD to DVD-R in 15 - 40 minutes!
    Perfect quality on DVD-R.
    Subtitles are transferred to DVD-R.
    Chapters are transferred to DVD-R.
    DTS and/or Dolby Digital 5.1 sound is (if wanted) transferred to DVD-R.

And one of the best things; DVD2one checks the DVD you have inserted and make the compression based on that specific DVD and configuration with sound you've chosen, no default bitrates here!

Truly amazing. The app is 97kb small, and yet, it outsmarts and outspeeds anthing on the mac platform. ffmpegX and 42 are both good efforts but can't really compete with DVD2one.

How can the difference in speed be so huge? 97kb of code that does the job in 15 - 40 minutes instead of multiple hours. The mac platform could use a little of this speed.

One of the developers of DVD2one said that they thought of the mac platform some time ago, but since they don't know it that well, they put their efforts in the PC application. What a shame!

We need a transcoder as fast as DVD2one for the mac platform!
    Don't you think?
    Quote Quote  
  2. b-frames. They seem to chop a lot of them out.

Perfect? no. Fast, yes.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yep,
    In the best of the worlds we would have handy an app based on DVD Backup 1.3 capable to shrink a DVD-9 to a DVD-R without any loss. There will be a day.
    KEEP FAITH
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    dvd2one does NOT yield video without quality loss, even the AUTHORS of the program dont claim it to be that way. if you want something from dvd-9->dvd-5 whether its really noticable or not you WILL have quality loss, doesnt matter HOW its done. Anytime u drop frames or re-encode at a lower bitrate there is ALWAYS a drop in quality.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In the PC threads they agree with you - it is nearly impossible to go from DVD-9 to DVD-R with no loss if the mpeg is reencoded any significant amount. But for what it does DVD2one seems to be a leap in technology. Maybe they will consider bringing a mac programmer on their team at some point if the Euros keep coming in.
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by bilestyle
    only fanatical people who dont know any more than they read think dvd2one rips without any quality loss, even the AUTHORS of the program dont claim there is no quality loss. if you want something from dvd-9->dvd-5 whether its really noticable or not you WILL have quality loss, doesnt matter HOW its done. Anytime u drop frames or re-encode at a lower bitrate there is ALWAYS a drop in quality.
    Easy boy, keep smiling, it's a beautiful day. My post was just a joke. Thought you got it, huh ?
    Am dumb but not dumb enough not to understand an half-pound will never weight a full pound.
    DVD2one looks great but (after reading the tutorial) it doesn't do much more than Minx Transcoder (if you have DVD SP) already does. And on the top of it the latter is free while the former costs 30 bucks.
    KEEP FAITH
    Quote Quote  
  7. Have you guys seen a DVD-R made by DVD2one before criticizing? For most the people the quality looks almost perfect, some say they don't see the difference from the original. I think they look darn good!

The speed is somewhat magical, a technical breakthrough AND that it bases it's compression on the specific DVD inserted makes it THE leader in DVD-9 to DVD-5 duplication. Subtitles and chapters are wonderful bonuses.

Minx Transcoder is NOT comparable with DVD2one in any way, try it before making statements like that.

97 kb of code would be fairly simple to port to UNIX/Mac OS X, wouldn't it?

Instead of arguing wether it's a good or bad app, can't we try to make the developers to port to OS X, then we all can judge for themselves.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I gave DVD2ONE a whirl....

AMAZING>...

Only thing it doesn't seem to do is keep the menu... but... it keeps chapters, subs..(if you want it to) and all the audio channels (again, if you want it to)... I am amazed.. the only thing.. I don't have a DVD-R on my PC (roomate's) so I had to rip the DVD to my Mac with DVD Backup, then tell DVD2ONE on the PC that the files where on my Mac (just pulled them through the network) and because of a 10mb network.. it took a few hours for it to complete... (it saved them on the PC) then with Toast, I burned the VIDEO_TS folder by pulling it through the network on the fly.. Toast didn't hickup at all, it just made the seconds count down slower...

Pretty sweet... I still think I'm gonna be using DVDXCOPY ... and I just bought some 9.4GB flipper discs.. only because my DVD Changer has "flip" button that I can push once the movie is complete...

sorry about posting this on the Mac forum... it's kinda related...
    Quote Quote  
  9. Amazing is exactly what it is, we need it for OS X now!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just tried DVD2One on a PC laptop today at work. This thing is beyond amazing. I used it to squeeze a copy of Vanilla Sky into 4.3gb. It took 37 minutes (plus an additional 37 minutes to rip via SmartRipper). All while it worked, I kept thinking "this thing is gonna crash, it can't be that simple."

I found the picture quality to be between a high quality divx and a 7 Mbps DVD. The quality loss was negligible in my opinion. The speed at which you can back up your DVDs makes up for the slight quality loss. This little proggie almost makes me wanna run out and buy a frickin' PC laptop now ... but!

I have VirtualPC! So I installed DVD2One in my copy of VPC on my Powerbook ... alas (*sigh*) ... DVD2One errors out. Has anyone gotten it to work in VPC? I use VPC5 with the upgrade to 6. The OS is Windows ME.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AntnyMD
    I just tried DVD2One on a PC laptop today at work. This thing is beyond amazing. I used it to squeeze a copy of Vanilla Sky into 4.3gb. It took 37 minutes (plus an additional 37 minutes to rip via SmartRipper). All while it worked, I kept thinking "this thing is gonna crash, it can't be that simple."

I found the picture quality to be between a high quality divx and a 7 Mbps DVD. The quality loss was negligible in my opinion. The speed at which you can back up your DVDs makes up for the slight quality loss. This little proggie almost makes me wanna run out and buy a frickin' PC laptop now ... but!

I have VirtualPC! So I installed DVD2One in my copy of VPC on my Powerbook ... alas (*sigh*) ... DVD2One errors out. Has anyone gotten it to work in VPC? I use VPC5 with the upgrade to 6. The OS is Windows ME.

it doesn't work on VPC b/c it doesn't recognize DVD's as DVD VIDEO discs.. it doesn't have the capability of doing that so you need to go about it some other way to even have a prayer of getting it to work.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I cant even get the executable to run in VPC. Once it does, you just point to a decrypted VIDEO_TS folder on your hard drive and let it go. It won't squeeze from an actual DVD unless it is unencrypted.

Funnily enough, I can get SmartRipper to run in VPC -- A couple years ago that didn't work. Interesting.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You MAC user's why not give Instant Copy 7 a try with VPC not as fast but still very good about two hour's for me on my AMD 1.8 to encode a movie
    Quote Quote  
  14. VPC is not the solution. How about us mac-users show Erwin and ReneB at DVD2one that there is a huge demand for their product on the mac-platform. I think there is plenty of good mac-developers in this forum that could help them make the port.

ReneB can be reached through the forums at:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com

Or can somebody figure out how it can be so darn fast and develop a new amazing mac-app?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by expo
    develop a new amazing mac-app?
    They already did, it's called Forty-Two.
    Quote Quote  
  16. They can even find a UNIX program OS 10 is a UNIX OS really.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by tgpo
    develop a new amazing mac-app?
    They already did, it's called Forty-Two.
    Have you tried DVD2one before making that statement? I've tried them both, DVD2one is amazing, Forty-Two is not, unfortunately.

DVD2one transcodes a DVD in 15-30 minutes, including subs and desired audio-track AND make it's calculations based on the specific DVD inserted. 15-30 minutes, read that again.

Forty-Two is a great app, just not amazing.

Come on mac-developers! You can do it!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD2one is amazing, Forty-Two is not, unfortunately.

Its people like you that make program coders quit their projects. You insult their hard work and tell them they need to be more like another program. I don't care about DVD2one or what it does, I bet you're of the programers and just want to get more publicity.

Forty-Two is an AMAZING application. It cuts the time and effort of making a vcd/svcd in half, probably more. It use to take me over 2 days to make a vcd, now I get one in 5 hours. That is amazing.

DVD2one transcodes a DVD in 15-30 minutes, including subs and desired audio-track AND make it's calculations based on the specific DVD inserted. 15-30 minutes, read that again.
    I read it the first time, but I still don't care....sorry

I'm not saying that wishful think is bad, but what I am saying it that putting down people's hard work and long hours spent on a project is.
    Quote Quote  
  19. tgpo said

I'm not saying that wishful think is bad, but what I am saying it that putting down people's hard work and long hours spent on a project is.
    expo said
    I don't think calling forty-two a "great app" is putting down anyone's work. One of you thinks it's great, one of you thinks it's amazing. Both are positive reviews in my book.
    :: rockinsage ::
    Quote Quote  
  20. DannyZR2: When you burn the VIDEO_TS folder in toast, do you just burn it as data? Or do you select the 'video CD option' or whatever? Thankelydoodles!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To Hozie: If you have content in a VIDEO_TS folder, the intent is most likely to make a DVD, so you have use the DVD option in Toast.

As for DVD2One and forty-two, its almost comparing apples to oranges. forty-two is a GUI for encoders, which intelligently considers the content of the DVD to produce fully re-encoded, in sync VCD/SVCD/DVD/DivX. How the developers get away with transcoding encrypted DVDs is beyond me. It doesn't maintain the original chapters, selectable subtitles (for SVCD/DVD), or Dolby Digital audio for DVD. Although it is great at what it does (for example, I'm actually seeing the light about DivX now, solely because of 42), the holy grail of DVD transcoding is to squeeze a DVD-9 onto a DVD-5 rapidly with little quality loss. forty-two does not do this. The new program DiscomVOBulator is a step in that direction, but currently offers only splitting a DVD-9 onto two DVD-5's. I know I don't speak for everyone when I say if I wanted a movie on two or more discs, I'd just make a VCD ... but I think I speak for a few.

DVD2One somehow manages to quickly and efficiently analyze a DVD, give you options to maintain all, some, one or none of the selectable subtitles, all, some, one or none of the audio tracks, then takes the main movie (if thats what you selected), and squeezes it onto a DVD-5 with minimal quality loss. Furthermore, it maintains the original chaptering (which I feel is more important than bloated menuing). DVD2One goes one better in the "we're not enabling piracy by defeating CSS" department by requiring decrypted content only (though we all know its very easy to decrypt a DVD to your hard drive).

For those things that DVD2One does, that's the reason behind the idea that it is "better" than other software. I agree that it is spectacular at what it does. I also agree that forty-two enabled a gargantuan leap forward in Mac OS X DVD transcoding -- a leap that took YEARS on the PC platform.
    Quote Quote  
  22. AntnyMD seems to understand what I'm trying to say here. I'm NOT putting Forty-Two down, keep on the good work with that. But, as AntnyMD said above, it's comparing apples and oranges.

About the decryption built-into Forty-Two, that makes it impossible/illegal to charge money for, so my guess development will stop when facing a law suit. DVD2one does only transcode non-crypted material, that's legal.

All I want is to see DVD2one, or a app just like it, for the mac-platform. Who wouldn't?
    Quote Quote  
  23. tgpo - read the post then respond - he clearly complimented forty-two, and I would second him on that.

The second comment I have is that your comparison of forty-two to DVD2one is completely invalid. The do not use remotely the same methods to shrink the file: forty-two uses a complete mpeg-2 transcode and DVD2one does not do a complete transcode - it compresses the mpeg stream in place. This is why ti has such a great speed advantage, but with some quality tradeoff.

For those who cannot tell or do not care of the quality diminishment, DVD2one is incredible. What it comes down to is if you want multiple output formats and control use forty-two, if you simply want to get the main movie of a DVD under 4.3gb and keep chapters, subs and all audio, then DVD2one wins. Being a PC and Mac owner I have the luxury of using both. For those that don't have that luxury, we can all hope DVD2one is ported at some point.
    Quote Quote  
  24. From what I've been told, portage is low on their list...not enough market for it

If you don't mind the DVDX Copy approach, Disco v2 is about as close as I'm going to get to that.

The chapters thing is tricky because of the way VOBs work, so basically I "punked out" and Ye Olde End User will have to take care of that themselves.

Of course, i just hit the "lazy" switch and have it make chapters every 7 mins anyway, lol.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hey,
    To those who think DVD2one is amazing I would recomment to cast an eye to the DVD2one forum, especially topic about the "encryption bug"
    The soft is still costing 50 euros and doesn't rip and shrink all DVDs.
    Have made many tests on a PeeCee to know what we were talking about here. And I'm far from impressed so far as the soft is still not a "two-click" DVD's back-up application.
    I would not say it's crap but it's still not what the makers of DVD2one pretend it is.
    KEEP FAITH
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I find it laughably typical of PC users to use DVD decrypter programs (SmartRipper, cladDVD and the like) to copy NON-ENCRYPTED DVD's. Non-encrypted DVDs do not need to be ripped for use in DVD2One: they can be crunched directly from the DVD itself, or, if they must get the data off the disc and onto their hard drive, they can simply use Windows Explorer to drag-and-drop copy the files.

PC users can be idiots sometimes, but of course, the developers of DVD2One are to blame? From what I read, it seems these ripper programs, which arent perfect by the way (can anyone say 0Sex?), are corrupting their .vob files in some way. Just today I was looking to permanently borrow a copy of My Big Fat Greek Wedding, and it failed to rip on the PC. I guess that's what I get for trying to steal a big fat Greek movie.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Hey Kai! Great to see you developing new great apps for the DVD scene and mac-platform! Keep it up!

So you've been told porting is not DVD2one-team's priority? The market is probably bigger than they can imagine.
    Quote Quote  
  28. It's not gonna be ported because most of the code is
    written in assembler which is of course specific
    to a processor.

bummer

And I am only doing DVD - DVD-R and Transcoder is
    doing the job in 5 hours which is pretty fast on a Mac
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by Xwarrior
    It's not gonna be ported because most of the code is
    written in assembler which is of course specific
    to a processor.

bummer

And I am only doing DVD - DVD-R and Transcoder is
    Agree with you Transcorder is great app but you need to rip files first and assemble them in Studio Pro. So you miss subtitles. Or Am I wrong ?
    Does Transcoder rip from DVD itself ? And does it output VIDEO_TS folder ?
    Cheers
    KEEP FAITH
    Quote Quote  
  30. And I am only doing DVD - DVD-R and Transcoder is
    Code:
    So where can I get Transcoder from?
    EarlyGrace
    Quote Quote