VideoHelp Forum

Try DVD Fab Video Downloader and rip Netflix video! Or Try DVD Fab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How To Backup Your DVDs Using A Dazzle DVC 150
    Created by Norm Glomski (nglomski@hotmail.com)

Why would I want to spend $200 on a Dazzle DVC 150 Encoder Box? Let me tell you a little story why I bought mine. (If you prefer, you can skip ahead five paragraphs to the actual guide... but then you would miss all of my sarcastic commentary!)

We all have read the many guides posted on the web on how to create a DVD backup onto a DVD-R disc. Most of the guides require you to spend an hour or more ripping the vob files from the DVD then extract the video and audio files using the amazing freeware tool called DVD2AVI. Now that you have your video and audio files, you bring them into TMpgEnc. Once the files are imported, you load a settings template and let your computer encode your DVD compliant Mpeg-2 file overnight.

So... if everything goes well, you wake up to an Mpeg-2 file that you can bring into your DVD authoring program of choice. But hey... nobody mentioned that the darn authoring program would take 20 - 30 minutes to import the stinkin' Mpeg-2 file. (OK... I may be exaggerating a bit on the time.. but I know it takes over 15 minutes for sure!) What do you get for waiting 20 minutes? You get an ".m2v" video file, an ".mp2" audio file and some tiny little file that contains info about your Mpeg-2 file that is used by the authoring program. And some times... after waiting 20 minutes it will tell you that your file is incompatible or the program freezes up mysteriously.... ouch!

OK... I am assuming that you have imported the Mpeg-2 file successfully, you add your chapter points. I never did figure out how to import the chapters from the DVD using DVD Complete or MyDVD. DVD Complete at least allows you to create a chapter automatically. I would set one every 5 minutes. So I finally have everything ready to go, so I tell it to create the DVD files and eventually Burn it to disc when it's done. No one seems to talk too much about how long it takes for authoring packages to multiplex your files into vob files... well it all depends on your software and computer setup... but it usually takes my computer 2-3 hours to produce a finished DVD that is ready for the set top player.

What have we found from Norm's little story... It takes a really long time to back up a DVD onto a DVD-R disc! I bought the Dazzle 150 to save me something that I don't have enough of... TIME. Well... from reading many posts on Dazzle's user forum, (It is a really nice forum)... all too many people have sunk $200 into the Dazzle 150 and are still wasting their precious time reencoding the perfectly recorded Mpeg-2 file that was spit out of the Dazzle 150 box.... This guide will eliminate reencoding all together.

There is more... most of the people are using a bundled program called MovieStar to capture their files... and nowhere does this stinkin' program let you set your bitrates for your capture. You have a choice of VCD, SVCD, or DVD recording settings. What!!!? Why doesn't it let me set my bitrates like I am so accustomed to when I encode using TMpgEnc? Well... I have found a way around that little problem as well. Enough belly aching... let's get on with it already!

Creating a DVD Backup Onto DVD-R with Correct Chapters Points
    (In about twice the amount of time it takes to watch the movie)

This guide uses the following programs:
    IFOEdit (freeware), DVXCELKSTest (Comes with the Dazzle 150 Bundle), GraphEdit (freeware), two audio filters for GraphEdit, Elecard Player and Mpeg-2 filters (shareware $25), and Nero Express (bundled with many DVD burners).

This guide will also be useful to anyone that doesn't have a Dazzle 150. If you know how to create a DVD compatible Mpeg-2 file... Simply load it into TMpgEnc's Mpeg Tools section and use the Simple DeMultiplexer to create a seperate ".m2v" file and ".mp2" file. Once that process is complete, change the extension of the ".mp2" file to ".mpa". Once this is complete, use this guide to make a DVD-R disc that has the proper chapter points.

Step One: Extracting the "CellTimes.txt" File

Insert the DVD into your computer's DVD drive and take a peek inside the VIDEO_TS folder. Find out which vts file contains the main movie. In the case of Shrek, it is the "VTS_01" file that I need to use

Open up IFOEdit. Click the Open button in the bottom left corner and select the proper "VTS_0?.IFO" file. I opened up the "VTS_01.IFO" file.

Next click on the first file in the top window that has PGC in it, extend the branch (+ sign), and click on the first PGC file... as shown in the image below:

Next, select "Save Celltimes to file" from the Tools menu.

Finally... Create a folder on your hard drive to hold all of the files we are going to create. I called my folder "Shrek". It works best if this folder can be on a different hard drive than the drive you capture onto. The DeMultiplexing step is much faster if your source files are on one drive and you are saving your ".m2v" and ".mpa" files onto another hard drive. It is not necessary to have 2 drives, but it is highly recommended.

Inside the Shrek folder, I created two other folders... one called "shrek_times" and one called "VIDEO_TS".

Save the "CellTimes.txt" file into the appropriate folder. (shrek_times in my case)

DO NOT CHANGE THE NAME OF THE FILE or it will not work in IFOEdit!!

Step Two: Capturing the Mpeg-2 Files Using DVXCELKSTest

Remove the DVD from computer's DVD drive and place it into your set top DVD player. Connect it to your DVC 150 via S-Video for best quality.

Open up the DVXCELKSTest program and choose "Settings" from the File menu.

Click the "..." button next to the Capture File field and tell the program the name and location of your captured Mpeg-2 file.

Set the Bit Rate and Peak Bit Rate settings. Dazzle's bundled "MovieStar" capture program uses a setting of 4200000 and 6000000 as it's DVD setting. These settings can capture up to 122 minutes comfortably on a 4.7 GB DVD-R disc. Shrek is only 93 minutes, so I bumped the bitrate up to 5500000 and 7000000. I think you can fit about 95 minutes at this rate.

I have my Dazzle 150 hooked up to a USB 1.1 port. I cannot capture at anything higher than 5500000 without errors. The settings below seem to be the "sweet spot" for my computer.

For Those interested... I have a GateWay 9300XL laptop that has an 800 MHz PIII processor. I have a 120 GB external firewire hard drive and a Pioneer DVR-105 burner inside an aluminum external Firewire case from CompUSA. I got the Pioneer DVR-105 bundled inside a Cendyne Box from OfficeMax for $169 after a $50 mailin rebate! The screen grabs coming up in the DVD Burning section were taken of the Pioneer DVR-104 drive I have at work.

The last setting you should set is how many minutes you want the capture to be. I usally figure out when the credits start on the movie and round up a minute from there. This nice little setting obviously allows you to capture the video without being present to stop it.

When finished, click the OK button.

Play the DVD in your set top box, and pause it on the first frame.

Select "Without Preview" from the Capture menu to start the capture. My computer gets an error message if I try to capture with either of the other Video Preview settings.. so I just trust the little fella by capturing without preview...

Wait until the Connecting Filters... message goes away, then press the play button on your DVD player. This method has proven quite accurate for me. The Connecting Filters message stays up for about 4 seconds.

Now you can either watch the movie and select "Stop" from the Capture menu when the movie is over or just let the timer setting take care of everything for us.. your choice.

Step Three: DeMultiplexing the Captured Mpeg-2 File Via GraphEdit

After the capture is complete, you usually have 3 Mpeg-2 files. These three files need to be combined into one video stream file (".m2v") and one audio stream file (".mpa"). The quickest, most reliable method that I have found to do this is accomplished with a freeware program called GraphEdit. This program gives you access to all of the DirectShow filters on your computer. It is not exactly user friendly, but with my guidance, you will be churning out DVD compatible video and audio files in no time at all.

I did a lot of Mpeg-2 software decoder testing and came to the conclusion that Elecard Mpeg-2 filters work the best for me in GraphEdit. MainConcept filters also work well, but I had a few problems. I paid the $25 to Elecard and this gave me access to the Elecard Player. I believe that installing the player also installed the Elecard File List Source filter, (which is a MUST HAVE!). I do not remember if this filter is available to you before you pay the shareware fee or not.

The Elecard FIle List Source filter allows you to seamlessly combine the 3 captured Mpeg-2 files into a single video file and audio file. I had serious lip synch issues when I was testing out a similar freeware filter called I-Media Multiple MPEG2 Source. Elecard's filter is FAR superior in my opinion.

To use the filter, you have to open up NotePad.exe and type in a list of the 3 captured Mpeg-2 files. See the example in the image below.

Once you are finished, select Save from the File menu. Enter the name of the file with the ".lst" extention in quotes and press the save button. I called my list source file "captureList.lst".

Next, open up GraphEdit.I like to maximize the window, then open up the list of filters by clicking the button with the blue rectangle in it. See the image below:

I usually stretch the filter window's height an place it off to the right side of the screen.

I then deselect the AutoArrange feature by selecting it from the View menu. It should NOT have a check next to it. If the AutoArrange is on, it rearranges the filter boxes in ways that I do not care for. This is optional... do whatever works best for you.

Extend the "DirectShow Filters" branch by clicking the little "+" sign to the left of it's name. You will now see a list of all the DirectShow filters available on your computer.

Now we need to add all of the filters needed to demultiplex your captured Mpeg-2 files. Simply scroll down to the filters that I tell you, click once on them to hilite them, then click the "Insert Filter" button. It will place a small rectangle on the screen that you need to connect together by dragging a line from the output of one filter to the input of another.

The first filter to insert is the Elecard File List Source filter. It will display an open file dialog. Simply select the "captureList.lst" file that we just created in NotePad a couple of minutes ago.

Add the Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer filter.

Drag a line from the Output of the "captureList.lst" rectangle to the Input of the Elecard MPEG2 Demultiplexer rectangle. It will then add some Output ports to your filter.

Add the CyberLink Audio Decoder filter.

Connect the LPCM Output to the Cyberlink filter's input.

Add the WaveToMPA filter.

Right click on the WaveToMPA filter and specify your desired kBit/sec setting and click the OK button. I am setting Shrek to 384000 because there is plenty of space left on my DVD-R disc. If you are cramped for space, select 224000 or 128000. Remember that the higher the number, the better the audio will sound.

Connect the Output of the Cyberlink filter to the Input of the WaveToMPA filter.

Next we need to add two D8 Dump filters. One for the video file and one for the audio file.

When you add the "D8 Dump" filter, it asks you to select an output file for the filter. I then navigated to the shrek folder I created earlier and typed in "shrek.m2v".

For the second D8 Dump filter, I typed in "shrek.mpa".

After you have these two filters added, connect the video Output from the Elecard MPEG2 Demultipler to the "m2v" filter. Then connect the Output from the WaveToMPA filter to the "mpa" filter.

You should have something on your screen like this:

The last step is to press the green triangle button to play the graph that we just created.

Now you need to watch the hard drive lights on your computer. It took my 800 MHz PIII laptop 10 minutes to demultiplex the 3 captured Mpeg-2 files, (92 minute capture), into seperate m2v and mpa files.

Step Four: Authoring the DVD using IFOEdit

Once GraphEdit displays the little green arrow again, you can quit the program. You should now have a working folder similar to the one pictured below:

We are now going to multiplex our video, audio, and celltimes into vob files inside of the "VIDEO_TS" folder that we created earlier.

Open IFOEdit.

Select "Author New DVD" from the DVD Author menu. A window will pop up similar to the one below.

Click the "." button next to the Video field and select your ".m2v" file.

Click the "." button next to the Audio field and select your ".mpa" file.

Click the "." button next to the Position field and select your "CellTimes.txt" file.

Click the "." button next to the Destination field and select your "VIDEO_TS" folder.

Click the OK button and take a break while IFOEdit multiplexes your files into all of the files necessary to create a DVD-R disc that can be played in most set top DVD players. This process took 27 minutes on my 800 MHz PIII laptop.

Hats off to the author of this program... It is awesome. No stupid checking the files as you import them. It trusts that you are giving it good files and it is the fastest way to make vob files with the correct chapters that I know of... how about you?

Step Five: Burning Your DVD Files to a DVD-R Disc Using Nero Express

This step can be done with whatever application came with your DVD Recorder. Nero Express was bundled with my Cendyne Recorder (Pioneer DVR-105 drive).

Open Nero, click on "DVD-Video files".

Next, drag all of the files that are in the "VIDEO_TS" folder into Nero's file window.

Click the button and take another break. I am burning these files onto a trusty 62 cent Princo 1X DVD-R disc. After about 52 minutes you should have a perfectly backed up DVD-R disc to play in your set top DVD player. Obviously, you could save yourself some time by using a more expensive 2X or 4X DVD-R disc. Princo's prices are right and they play beautifully on my Daewoo DVD player.

This disc will serve me well until my 2 year old daughter destroys it... and then I will start all over at step one of this guide... ; )

Closing Comments

This guide should save you bundles of time if you own a Dazzle 150 or plan on purchasing one. I absolutely love mine because it has eliminated all of the lip synch problems and unpredictable freaky video blocking that occurred every once in a while when I encoded SVCDs using TMPGEnc.

I have also made many beautiful SVCDs with my Dazzle 150 using the same steps as above. Instead of IFOEdit, I was using the awesome TSCV freeware program. I still use it when recording 45 minute TV shows onto SVCD.

I calculated that it took about 3 hours to complete this Shrek DVD-R disc. (93 minute capture and 90 minutes authoring and burning) Please let me know if any of you know of a faster method than what I have described in this guide.

I have learned everything described in this guide from other helpful folks that have taken the time to share their knowledge with me by writing easy to follow guides, and of course... plenty of trial and error. I hope that this guide can help a few of you out.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Ummm... DVD2ONE--- 20 minute rip, 10 minute transcode, 15-20 minute burn= 50 min. backup. Includes DTS or Dolby Digital audio, subtitles, and a great picture.

Simplicity is a beautiful thing.
    You've gotta try this program!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes,

DVD2ONE is the way to go if you want to back up DVD to DVD-R.
    Unless some makes one-click back up program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. You fellas are correct regarding DVD2One. It is simple and it works well. I can't wait until they post the updates to allow a complete backup including menus!

Believe it or not... I actually purchased DVD2One 3 days after I wrote up this guide. I created this thing on February 3rd for all the folks having problems with the Dazzle Mpeg2 capture boxes.

I really hope that all the folks that rank on Dazzle capture boxes in the Dazzle forum read this guide and find out how easy it can be. Dazzle hardware is awesome... but the software needs some work. This guide explains how to make a backup using only one dazzle software program ( the beta capture program that they hide on your computer during installation).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing is not a cool way to transcode a dvd.

Remmeber, when yu capture, all you are doing is compressing more quickly.

Youd be better off ompressing intmpgenc with fastest settings.

First pull the audio with ac3dec, compress the video using fatsest tmpg setting (or cce) and youll have much better quality.

When you are captuiring your way you are caping interlaced video. bad times.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Capturing this way also causes damage to the burner. :P
    Live Life 2 The Fullest, Live The Life U Luv & Luv The Life U Live!
    Quote Quote  
  7. What are you two talking about? The last 2 posts are definitely from folks that have never seen mpeg2 video files captured with one of the Dazzle DVC devices.

I am hooking up my set top DVD player to the Dazzle 150 capture box via s-video. The 150 allows realtime video capture into an Mpeg2 video file via my USB 1.1 port... the mpeg2 file must then be processed in graphEdit to convert the LPCM audio stream into a friendlier MPA format (10 minute process on my 800 MHz laptop for a 1.5 hour clip).

According to the last post... It must be damaging to your burner to watch a DVD on your TV.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by normando
    What are you two talking about? The last 2 posts are definitely from folks that have never seen mpeg2 video files captured with one of the Dazzle DVC devices.

I am hooking up my set top DVD player to the Dazzle 150 capture box via s-video. The 150 allows realtime video capture into an Mpeg2 video file via my USB 1.1 port... the mpeg2 file must then be processed in graphEdit to convert the LPCM audio stream into a friendlier MPA format (10 minute process on my 800 MHz laptop for a 1.5 hour clip).

According to the last post... It must be damaging to your burner to watch a DVD on your TV.
    Constant access to your drive and movie for the lenght of time it takes to convert to mgeg using a capture card causes the drive to overheat , causing premature failure.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I will try to spell this out as simple as possible... since my guide and my last post still are not clear.

1) My set top DVD player is hooked to the capture box via s-video cable and standard RCA audio cable.

2) Capture box attaches to my laptop via USB cable.

3) I play the DVD in the set top DVD player and hit record on my capture program.

4) Capture box compresses the video signal in real time to an Mpeg2 video file(Variable Bitrate) onto the hard drive of my laptop.

5) DeMux video file to separate M2V and MPA files in GraphEdit.

6) Author DVD in IFOEdit

7) Burn DVD in Nero Express.

I hope it is clear that my DVD burner is not used until step 7.

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  10. I appologize, my man! The way u capture is safe. 1 ? though is how do u remove macrovision?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Haven't ever had a problem when playing the DVDs from my DaeWoo 5800K player.

The only macrovision that I ever saw was at my friend's house... His Pioneer DVD player was hooked into his VCR, then he was going to his TV out of the VCR. Some DVDs would fade in and out of black and other funky purply colors.

I must admit that I haven't used this method since I purchased the DVD2One software. It is twice as fast as this method... plus I don't have to lug my laptop down to the entertainment center.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I had just bought the great satan 150 when I saw this article. The product appeared useless and I was getting nowhere. Every disk I produced looked terrible and took for ever to produce, if they produced at all. I should point out that I am not copying DVDs. I am transferring the video from Laser Discs and from VHS tapes.

However, I have had one big hangup with this method. The Elecard File Source simply does not work for me. The end result is always only the information from the first file in the list. Has anyone experienced this?
    Quote Quote  
  13. chees for that i was trying to burn dvd through nero and not nero exprss and it wasnt working but using the express bit works a treat he he
    kinda new to this he he
    Quote Quote