VideoHelp Forum

Poll: My OS is...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by zodiac
    speaking of games on the mac,check this commercial out :hahaha:
    http://www.neds.ca/files/apple_gamer.wmv
    Great !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wish I could watch it, but I don't want to dl WMP Mac Edition.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Are WMVs mpg-able yet?

(aaaahh I see, you love quicktimes because you're a mac user.. REPENT! well at least you can answer the question - can't macs play anything outside of QT? )
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Of course macs can play things other than Quicktime. But I just don't like the idea of havng a microsoft product on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So that's a "no, except if it's microsoft".
    Urk..

That's a bit like PCs not being able to natively handle anything that's not AVI

oh.. hang on..
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by tgpo
    I wish I could watch it, but I don't want to dl WMP Mac Edition.
    now you know how i feel about .mov files :P
    Quote Quote  
  7. WinXP...

Win98SE was the best of the Win9x series but I've moved all my PCs to WinXP now. I have very few proggies that work on Win98SE (that I still use) that don't work on WinXP.

For me, WinXP is much more stable than Win98SE. I almost never get a BSOD, my home server (internet, printer, files) has basically 100% up time and I have yet to find a need to reformat my HDD and do a re-installation just to clean out/refresh my PC (which was a relatively frequent activity with Win98SE).

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Cyrl
    I have XP Pro, I've never had any problems with it and compatability, it is quite stable.. if something crashes I can continue doing whatever wtihout worries... I didn't see anywhere that lists system uptime but my Network connection seems to keep a timer of how long it's been active, I know the system has been up longer as sometimes I disable my internet connection temporarily etc...

looks stable to me *shrug*
    No way. This is what I call stable:
    From one of my best clients

And another machine on the same site:

That's what I call "Uptime", which is why FreeBSD is my favorite OS
    ( So is NetBSD, and looking forward to MacOS X to run eventually on I386 platforms )

-kwag
    KVCD.Net - Advanced Video Conversion
    http://www.kvcd.net
    Quote Quote  
  9. My computer was running Win98, but then it got very I'll and neither I, nor the techs could figure out exactly was what going on with the computer, so I upgraded to XP and now my computer is feeling much better.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think the reformatting and all might be down to carelessness in installation and dicking about with the system, and little else. I'm seeing if i can stretch my 98 box out to a good three years of heavy on/off mixed use with several hardware changes without having to reinst. Going good so far.. mainly I think because of the lessened influence of my family sharing machine with me. Linux etc installs that stay working a long time might also owe a lot to the care and attention (and careful, attentive nature) of those who choose to install and use them Whereas win2000 just comes sneakily bundled with special-offer PCs for every nontechie "call the breakdown service, my tyre's flat" person and their young, overly genki daughters to mess up, leave active desktop selected on, and stuff crayolas into.

(indeed can compare to my car; if i'd cruised and nursed the thing and treated it ok in a similar way to my PC it'd be running perfectly. instead, i've ragged the (wheel)nuts off it with barely a thought to maintainance except an occasional oil top up. so today i had to get a new muffler and pipe after blowing an unpatchable hole in the old one, and the engine sounds like a box of angry scissors when it used to just purr.. plus at last oil change, the old stuff was so nasty it could barely be convinced to leave the sump. However by that parallel it would also probably have a stage 3 turbo (on bogstandard 145/75 T tyres), as much trunk space as the average semi truck despite looking like a civic - always 75% full - two extra seats, and a combination cowcatcher/foghorn/stadium floodlight on the front )

In comparison to the personal machine, the 'old' home PCs system, also 98, was totally wrecked in hardly any time. I reformd and reinstd it a few months after i did my own, and by the time the next college holiday rolled around it was playing up something rotten. In the end it was hardly usable. I wasn't sure if it was salvagable, or worth the effort to backup, zap and reinstall (400mhz with 128mb, some pretty old cards and discs), so we just took what files were necessary off onto CDR and palmed it off on a friend of bro - he hasnt paid us yet, and we barely care - and got a 2nd user system from some other friends who did little but type with it. Faster, more space, etc, for cheap
    This one too is 98, havent a clue how long it's been installed, but it runs without a hitch. The only thing that can kill it is a certain person, who shant be mentioned, loading up kazaa and setting far too many goddamn simultaneous transfers. Eventually all the free memory gets eaten up, systemwide things slow to a crawl, and it falls gasping to it's knees when you close said program. Luckily he's now at college with a machine of his own (surprise surprise, on that one even win media crashes every 3rd file.. its like he has electro fingers) so hasn't been able to work evil voodoo on it.

I wonder if I could gather up a few people who puzzlingly manage to run win98 installs into the turf and set them loose on Linux, XP, BSD, MacOS.. Then we'd see how long they can REALLY stay stable.

Don't know how they do it, I really don't. Must be getting into a trance, going on the net, and search for "downloadable destructive non-replicating self destruct viruses" or something.

O_O
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It is interesting to note that Windows 95 is dead as nobody voted for this OS.

I think Win95 was released 9 years ago with the Rolling Stones tune on TV.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Windows95 isn't dead yet, there are 8 users for it, and believe me, i've seen plenty of places who still have it and use it, cause that's all they really need!
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Sefy
    Windows95 isn't dead yet, there are 8 users for it, and believe me, i've seen plenty of places who still have it and use it, cause that's all they really need!
    No one seems to want Win95 here at DVDRHelp.com and I did met a fellow still using Win95 just a little while ago.

So, I do believe Sefy on what he just said, there is still a few people using it today.

I don't think there is any customer support for it from Microsoft now. Any problems, just have to access Microsoft's "Support Knowledge Base" web site for self solution.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I find it incredible than more people voted for win3.1 than win 95. We still have PC's at work running both 3.1 and 95 on old 386's, 486's and early pentiums that are used for data capture. They do the job as there is very little processing of information to be done or complex graphics to display, just capturing data such as acceleration and displacement via an a-d card.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    I find it incredible than more people voted for win3.1 than win 95. We still have PC's at work running both 3.1 and 95 on old 386's, 486's and early pentiums that are used for data capture. They do the job as there is very little processing of information to be done or complex graphics to display, just capturing data such as acceleration and displacement via an a-d card.
    Sure it is incredible some people still use the old OS's such as 3.1 and Win95. Some people just won’t change I still use an old IBM 380 MHz Win98 Computer.

In fact a short time ago, I was watching an old Betamax videotape recorded during 1990 from TV with an advertisement on 20 MB HD “Commodore” computer. Wow, how on earth would I be able have an Mp3 music file in such a tiny hard drive?

The smallest HD I got at the moment is 4GB and the biggest is 80 GB. I got three recent computers much, much faster and much, much bigger now and still do find as not enough. I am thinking of a new HD of 120GB in one of them soon.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Sefy
    @Craig Tucker, when the day comes and the software that "I" need will not
    run on Windows98SE, it will be the day that i will simply stop using any kind
    of Microsoft Product.

I've already been pre-preparing both my OS/2 Warp 4.51 and Mandrake 9.0
    So as long as for the needs I have Windows98SE works, I couldn't care less
    what Microsoft and other companies forces their users to do.

I Don't support the Free Internet Terrorisim by some 2bit companies that can
    not stand 1bit of competition.
    IBM still sells OS/2 ? I thought they abandoned OS/2 a few years ago ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. @Kemmo, Yes, everyone thinks so, usually when Microsoft releases a new OS you'll hear it again: OS/2 is Dead! (I think it's the 5th time they said it)

Unfortunatly for Microsoft, OS/2 is very much alive! heck, IBM has even just recently declared extended support, now lets see, OS/2 is back in 1996 which is around 95/NT days, and who still has support ?

Microsoft doesn't even support Windows98 and Millenium anymore! and I will be less then surprised if they support 2000 once Longhorn becomes an OS as they have already declared no more support for Internet Explorer, it will now become PART of the OS weather you like it or not
    Email me for faster replies!

Best Regards,
    Sefy Levy,
    Certified Computer Technician.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!