VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I tried just saving it out with direct stream copy and, like I thought, when I load the new file into regular VirtualDub, it still gives the VBR warning.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by videocheez
    After deleting bad frames, try saving out the avi with no audio. Select direct stream copy for video and audio and save new avi with no audio. Then use that avi with no audio to mux with the wav that you would have already extracted using vdub. I used to always mux using an avi that contained audio with a wav and i would get sync problems 25% of the time. I dont know why, but ever since i sarted muxing an avi( video only) with my wav I havent had any more sync problems.

Goodluck,

VC

I followed your idea but still the film is out of sync. A while ago I encoded this film and because of these problems i burnt into onto 4 vcd's. Each VCD finished before an error and the new one started after. In this way no parts were out of sync. But now I'm attempting to do this all again but onto one DVD. If I create 4 mpegs again and join them all up will they be out of sync (I've never tried this before!).
    Thanks again.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordkinbote
    I tried just saving it out with direct stream copy and, like I thought, when I load the new file into regular VirtualDub, it still gives the VBR warning.
    follow the guide(as if you did have bad frames),then do the direct stream copy for both audio and video,then save out as new avi.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by tenders

follow the guide(as if you did have bad frames),then do the direct stream copy for both audio and video,then save out as new avi.
    That's what I'm saying. I opened the avi, checked for video freezes, it found no bad frames and there was nothing in the log to correct or delete so the only thing left, according to the guide, is to save the avi out using direct stream copy. I took the NEW avi that was made, loaded it into the regular version of VirtualDub and I still get the VBR warning. Am I overlooking something?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordkinbote
    Originally Posted by tenders

That's what I'm saying. I opened the avi, checked for video freezes, it found no bad frames and there was nothing in the log to correct or delete so the only thing left, according to the guide, is to save the avi out using direct stream copy. I took the NEW avi that was made, loaded it into the regular version of VirtualDub and I still get the VBR warning. Am I overlooking something?
    strange i have done it this way in the past, and also like you did,check with the regular vdub afterwards,in my case the vbr warning was gone. have you actually tried encoding the file,or are you guessing that it will go out of sync if it is in sync as an avi,try loading the file into tmpg,as is,then encode it and see if this works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. well, I already tried encoding with TMPG first and they became out of sync but that was when I encoded them with wavs I saved out from VirtualDub. That's why I looked here for a possible solution. I didn't try it with getting both the video and audio straight from the avi, but I figured if it did that from a saved out file, it wouldn't do better straight from the avi although, who knows?

Yes, the original avis are in sync.
    Quote Quote  
  7. strangely enough, just encoding the video and audio straight from the avis kept them in sync. I assumed, as per past experience (from the first two avis in the series among other things) that it was because of the VBR that made it go out of sync so I would always save the wav out first and it would be fine. But, it seems in the later avis of this series, it's better to just encode them normally.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Everytime I try to run the "Check Video for Freezes" option, VDub-MP3 freezes and gives me an error.. The error states "VirtualDub has crashed due to a program error."

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem?

Thanks!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, corrupt frames can cause all kinds of problems. If you know where the problem is then you may be able to edit out the bad frames with Vdub.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a similar problem with a divx freezing with tmpenc and used vdub mpeg to check the frames but there are no bad frames. I have raised the priority of the Direct Show Multimedia File Reader but that has not helped. Any suggestions please ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have created a small program to automate this process to remove bad frames. It only runs in windows. It was created using the dot net framework (available from Microsoft).

These is how it works:
    + Enter the name of the video file, the location of the error log
    + It will create all the steps needed for virtualdub to do the cutting, based on the bad frames, it analizes the log file and decides what frames to remove.
    + You can execute the steps, what I'm doing is sending keystrokes to virtualdub to do the editing, so you will ned to leave your computer alone.

If anybody is interested, let me know.

It also let you select a list of files, and you can automate it to select each file, and add it to the job list. Here you can get errors of compatibility, but at least you can select multiple files and do it automatically.

This program is pretty rigid, it works as if you were entering the keystroks, so if an error message show up, it's certain that you won't get the results u want.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Anyone following this outdated guide listen here:

This is a very long process. It takes forever to scan the file because it logs almost every damn frame in there. You ened up hacking away too many frames. I have a better solution that works for me every time.

I just load up the avi file in Virtualdub MOD....choose NO for the vbr warning because it alters the file. The choose 'scan errors'. The time it takes is far less than vd mp3 freeze. Once done it will show if there were any bad frames at the bottom of the main screen. If so, go back to the 'scan errors' box and notice 'show bad frames'. Click it. It will list the bad frames, write them down. If there were no bad frames you have 2 options, either believe there were no bad frames OR try the method above. Sometimes virtualdub doesn't see 1 error that was present and that one error can throw off the audio. The best thing to do is, if there were no errors found, then set the audio to FULL PROCESSING and the video to DIRECT STREAM and save the new AVI. Then play the file in a media player and skip to different parts of the move all the way to the end to make sure the audio is in sync. I always do this with every file I create just to make sure. If the audio is off in the middle it will be off all the way to the end.

If virtualdubMOD found errors then look at the first bad frame you wrote down and choose GOTO and put in the first bad frame and click ok. Then click the MARK IN button. Then GOTO then next frame you wrote. Click NEXT KEYFRAME button and then click MARK OUT. Then go up in the menu and choose DELETE. This will wipe out the bad frames as well as the audio with it. Do the same with every bad frame you wrote. Once you are finished then choose FULL PROCESSING audio, and DIRECT STREAM video and save the new avi.
    NOTE: Don't close out MOD just yet. Check the new file to make sure there are no sync problems. If there are then delete the new file and go back to MOD to do some more. Sometimes Virtualdub will see an error but will miss a bad frame and list the following frame, FOR EXAMPLE: frame 26987 may be in the list when 26986 may have been bad. This can still cause a problem. What you can do is move(or GOTO) a point alittle ways before each bad frame you wrote and then play the file within MOD(or use the scan buttons) and you can visually spot a problem a frame at a time.

Hope you get it.

I have had to do this to so many crappy encoded avi's but i always end up with a perfectlt encoded SVCD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by cooljoe666
    Anyone following this outdated guide listen here:

This is a very long process. It takes forever to scan the file because it logs almost every damn frame in there. You ened up hacking away too many frames. I have a better solution that works for me every time.

I just load up the avi file in Virtualdub MOD....choose NO for the vbr warning because it alters the file. The choose 'scan errors'. The time it takes is far less than vd mp3 freeze. Once done it will show if there were any bad frames at the bottom of the main screen. If so, go back to the 'scan errors' box and notice 'show bad frames'. Click it. It will list the bad frames, write them down. If there were no bad frames you have 2 options, either believe there were no bad frames OR try the method above. Sometimes virtualdub doesn't see 1 error that was present and that one error can throw off the audio. The best thing to do is, if there were no errors found, then set the audio to FULL PROCESSING and the video to DIRECT STREAM and save the new AVI. Then play the file in a media player and skip to different parts of the move all the way to the end to make sure the audio is in sync. I always do this with every file I create just to make sure. If the audio is off in the middle it will be off all the way to the end.

If virtualdubMOD found errors then look at the first bad frame you wrote down and choose GOTO and put in the first bad frame and click ok. Then click the MARK IN button. Then GOTO then next frame you wrote. Click NEXT KEYFRAME button and then click MARK OUT. Then go up in the menu and choose DELETE. This will wipe out the bad frames as well as the audio with it. Do the same with every bad frame you wrote. Once you are finished then choose FULL PROCESSING audio, and DIRECT STREAM video and save the new avi.
    NOTE: Don't close out MOD just yet. Check the new file to make sure there are no sync problems. If there are then delete the new file and go back to MOD to do some more. Sometimes Virtualdub will see an error but will miss a bad frame and list the following frame, FOR EXAMPLE: frame 26987 may be in the list when 26986 may have been bad. This can still cause a problem. What you can do is move(or GOTO) a point alittle ways before each bad frame you wrote and then play the file within MOD(or use the scan buttons) and you can visually spot a problem a frame at a time.

Hope you get it.

I have had to do this to so many crappy encoded avi's but i always end up with a perfectlt encoded SVCD.
    if you don't like my guide,then why not write one of your own however,this thread is not the place to do it
    Quote Quote  
  14. Where is the program v-dub MP3 Freeze?
    I can only find links to the vanilla non-modified version of V-dub.
    Thanks if anyone has it. And what happened to it?
    email: kewl_guy@hotmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bep1291
    Where is the program v-dub MP3 Freeze?
    I can only find links to the vanilla non-modified version of V-dub.
    Thanks if anyone has it. And what happened to it?
    email: kewl_guy@hotmail.com

you can find it here: https://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=73#comments
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Or here
    http://www.movieking.yourhobbies.co.uk/files/index.php?action=file&id=4

where this guide was ripped from

Signature removed.
    / Moderator Cobra
    Quote Quote  
  17. in this post hasnt it missed the bit about masking the bad frames and also i used this guide down to a t and it still crashed tmpge xpress during encoding. just trying to get my head round this as there are a lot of films available with bad frames more the pity...

Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dexyweescot
    in this post hasnt it missed the bit about masking the bad frames and also i used this guide down to a t and it still crashed tmpge xpress during encoding. just trying to get my head round this as there are a lot of films available with bad frames more the pity...

i have never used this with tmpg xpress. i would recommend trying the regular tmpg or the plus version.
    Quote Quote  
  19. does it make any difference if u do both scan for unreadable frames and freeze frames in both versions...

im going nuts!!!
    i read a lot
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, this method doesn't do SQUAT to FIX the VBR problem - the direct stream output of both video and audio still leave the audio in VBR!

Ah, well - now I know how to get rid of the freeze frames at least - and thanks for that!
    Quote Quote