VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I convert .avi files to Mpeg and then burn them using VCDEasy. When i do try to burn i get these errors

ERROR: Write data failed.
    ERROR: Writing failed - buffer under run?
    ERROR: Writing failed.
    ERROR: Note that CDRDAO troubles are often related to the use of an inadequate driver...
    ERROR: You may have a bad CDRDAO driver in the CDRDAO settings page.

I've tried mulitple settings on VCDEasy with the same results. Any help would be appreciated
    Quote Quote  
  2. oh btw i did upgrade my cdrw drivers and tried different versions of VCDEasy.
    Quote Quote  
  3. hello, blank,
    did you sort it out? ,because i have exactly the same problem than yours.
    please let me know.
    bye..thank you
    Quote Quote  
  4. i would say you ran out of ram while burning the cd
    what burner do you have ? how fast are you burning? what speed comp? how much ram? does your burner have burnproof?
    you could also try http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/frcaspi.cfm
    you have to read the page here INDEX.HTM that comes with the file to see what version and how to apply properly depending on the os etc...

i made a lot of costers on my 12x with out burnproof and now havent made one yet at 32x with it , same comp ,same ram etc...
    could be time to invest in a new burner
    Quote Quote  
  5. my os is windows 98,
    i am trying to burn at low speed,my burner is hp cd-writer 8200 series,
    only 1 year old,my ram is 256,
    and i don`t know about the speed comp.
    can you help?
    thank you
    Quote Quote  
  6. so your cd burner is a external cd drive like this one at hp ?
    http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml?lc=en&docName=lpg40286
    .................................................. .......................................
    this is taken right from hp tech site

What does the "Buffer underrun" error message mean.
    CD recordable devices require an uninterrupted data stream from the hard drive in order to write successfully to a CD. A "buffer underrun" message appears when for some reason the data stream is interrupted.
    This can occur, for example, if another application interrupts the writing process, or if the CD-Writer Plus drive's write speed is set too high for the speed at which the hard drive can accesses and transfer data.
    When using Easy-CD Creator or Disc Copier: make sure you use the Test option in the software to ensure that the write speed is appropriate for your computer.
    For more information see the application's "online help" in the application.
    "Buffer underrun" may also be caused by hard drive compression software. HP does not recommend using hard drive compression software with a CD-RW. If you use hard drive compression software, it estimates free hard drive space based upon a compression ratio (often user selectable). Programs may check your hard drive for space needed and may think you have the necessary free space. However, depending on the type of files you are copying, you may in fact not have enough hard drive space.
    Run SCANDISK (NT4.0 & Windows 9x) and DEFRAG (Windows 9x) periodically on your hard drive (see your Windows manual for more information). These programs improve access times to the hard drive, which will help improve system performance while writing to and reading from the CD-Writer Plus drive.
    .................................................. .....
    i am afraid this will probaly be the root of your problem
    again taken from hp tech site

CAUTION: Do not use, connect, or turn on any other USB device while creating a CD or a buffer under-run error may occur.
    you could try a program at http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/system/maxmem.htm
    its a memory manager and will flush the memory . turn the program on and watch the meter as you do a simulation or test cd i bet it maxs out. ie you run out of ram.
    if you right click on the meter it will allow you to set up the flush in diffrent strenghts.
    click on it in the taskbar and flush you memory before you start to burn
    put it on the easyiest and do a burn cd simulation, as the line gets close to or as it turns red just click on it and it will flush the memory.

see if this will allow you to burn a cd straight through, you may have to flush several time during a burn.
    this may put a bandaid on your problem but.... the solution is ....
    time to invest in a new and better internal cd-writer with burnproof
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've recently started getting the 'buffer underrun' error, too, after months of trouble-free operation with 1.1.2. After setting up a session, I burned a CD-RW (SOP for me to check my work) and it went fine. The next day I put a CD-R in (Memorex, same type I've always used), burned the CUE file from the day before, and right after the Power-Calibration, just as it's writing the first file, I get the error. I'm like "What?" Killed 2 more CD's after that. Tried all the settings in CDRDAO, one would work once then crap out the next time. Here's what really killed me. I'd do a simulation, it would do OK, turn on Burn and, blam!, buffer under-run. Some times the simulation would give me the error. I was POed, I didn't need to be messing around with this. I upgraded to 1.1.5, it worked the first time, then the same thing. Very sporadic.

I started to think of what software I had loaded in the last 2 weeks. I just did load Vegas 4.0b, which has VCD burning capabilities. Did this screw something up internally? I don't know yet. What I did do is disable Norton AV (makes sense, but I never had to before), did two simulations and actually burned a CD-R. I haven't tried anymore because I don't have time. I did a defrag and found my hard drive pretty fragmented. Maybe I just reached a limit on my computer and the errors started cropping up. Let's hope the defrag and disabling NAV solves the problem.

I'll take a look at the program that corob4 posted (BTW, that post gave me the idea about NAV and defragging, thanks.)
    --
    Dirk Mitchell
    Quote Quote  
  8. did you solve your problem dirk?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey,

Try having a look at the CDRAO tab, available when you click on the "settings" topion on the laeft-hand side of the VCD screen. It's most likely set to "generic", meaning it will use it's own generic cd driver when accessing your burner.

Try changing to either "generic-mmc" or "generic-mmc raw" - these are two other methods ofs sending data to a burner, and will generally work with most brands of hardware.

Cheers,

B.
    ===============================
    "Don't ask for my specs - click the b*&^dy button . . ."
    ===============================
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My setting in CDRDAO is generic-mmc which has worked fine until this latest fubar. That's the only one that works for me. Once I got all the settings correct six months ago when I first used VCDEasy I haven't touched them. I didn't even want to upgrade to a newer version because it worked fine. That's why I'm baffled about it suddenly not working.

I haven't tried another VCD since I got the last one to work. I'll be finishing another video in about a week and I'll make another VCD then. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

dk

PS. What is warez?
    --
    Dirk Mitchell
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by dirkwmitchell
    What is warez?
    Read the relevant section of the AUP: https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=124514

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made another SVCD (on a CD-RW) a couple of days ago with no problems. I haven't reburned it on a CDR yet. I turned off Norton AV and the HP Scanjet software, so that could have helped. I'll let you know more as I do more.
    --
    Dirk Mitchell
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, I'm right in the middle of burning a ~240Mb file to a CD-RW, NAV and Scanjet software still on and no fubar yet. I'm guessing the defrag I did was the ticket. I let you know when I reburn it to CD-R later. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    --
    Dirk Mitchell
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doh! Buffer Underrun! I turned off Norton and Scanjet software, restarted VCDEasy and burned the BIN file again without any problems. I just don't understand how I can burn a CD-RW and have it crash in the same session burning a CD-R. I guess something's not getting flushed or NAV has just started taking more memory.

Regardless, I think if NAV is disabled I should be OK. Hope this helps.

PS. Anybody need a coaster?
    --
    Dirk Mitchell
    Quote Quote