VideoHelp Forum

Poll: My CPU Speed is....

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. 2 x 1.0GHz Mac
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two Pentium 4's, one Celeron and an AMD. The Pentium 4 on 2.0 Ghz is the winner and the next one down is another Pentium 4 on 1.6 Ghz.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    Just like I claim with my car (the speed limit is fast enough, everything else is bonus; it tends to get down to speed limit+1 on a number of hills ) - anything quick enough to play mp3s or VCD MPGs with enough CPU overhead left to show a progress bar is fast enough. Everything else is extra luxury .

For your consideration, ladies and gents, the "fast enough" computer. Comes in two flavours (hauls out a 90mhz pentium and a 160mhz O/Cd 486). Yes, the 486 has to be almost twice the clock speed to keep up with the pentium's floating point on audio and video decoding, but all your other tasks will fly so much faster as it's main integer unit 0wnz the P45C as a result.

So this 850 is easily bonus enough.

And, if you don't need video, just mp3, the 100mhz 486 will do... now if only I could figure out how to overclock that 75mhz laptop up.. the bus boosting from 25 to 33mhz (!!) will also be a big bonus

(and, well, if you prefer to get your AV pleasures from the old sources - dedicated equipement - and don't mind the odd coffee break when loading or saving a compressed image or zipfile - let's go way back to the olden days before clock doubling was heard of, and the only fan in a system was that of the PSU, unless you had an external one... when the system was silent all you need is 25mhz.. word processors still fly at that pace. The speed of thought varies in proportion to the complexity of the task at hand and the tightness of the programming. Some clever bod out in DOS-land was making an mp3 player, the progress of which I tracked with interest.. he made it fast enough to easily run CD quality on a 160mhz 486, and in mono with the turbo off (80mhz?)... kept optimising it further and further, crept those few % ever closer to making it usable with CD quality with turbo off - he didn't know that of course - but one day dropped the project... ah well... CD quality mp3 would be nice in 75mhz... but mp2 seems to work as a decent enough substitute with crappy headphones)
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  4. i have a p4 3.03 mhz which does the job
    Quote Quote  
  5. 2.53 Ghz
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
  6. 2.2Ghz P4 Unclocked. And a 2.4Ghz P4 Unclocked (which i might overclock it to 3Ghz since its able to)
    Quote Quote  
  7. i also have a Pentium 200Mhz, Pentium 233Mhz, & a Pentium II 900Mhz back home.
    Quote Quote  
  8. 2 x Amd 2200
    p4 2gig
    1 p3 1gig
    1 amd durn 1.3G

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ 1.67GHz

SLICK RICK
    Quote Quote  
  10. Dual PowerPC 1,42Ghz! Just love it

/L
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've still got a Vic-20, a Commadore-64 and a 80286 out in the garage if anyone wants one of em. ...for those resistant to change.

Vic-20 comes with cassete tape drive.
    Com-64 with 5.25 external disc drive, ram expander and 1200 bps modem.

For myself I run a 1.7mhz Celeron.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Dual xp 2400's and a gig of ram.
    Quote Quote  
  13. mine's 933 mhz i want a new mobo
    Quote Quote  
  14. 2.53 ghz here
    If it's wet, drink it

My DVD Collection
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    667 here.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    XP 2100+ [1.73Ghz]
    What's This Do?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm gonna try to convert a video on my PI/166. Curious how many days/weeks it'll take to make a VCD. Using Linux too. I've got to play with it every now and then. It's currently a shelf to hold up my P4 backup system up off the floor!
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I have a 1.0 Ghz laptop
    a 266Mhz
    a 500Mhz

and I'm getting something Monday, the lady whos giving it to me dosent know anything about it.

And I also have around 80 old CPU's, we're talking some OLD chips I got off Ebay. Some of the first Mac chips and Intel chips.
    "Sleep-
    Those little slices of Death;
    How I loath them."
    Quote Quote  
  19. 2.25 Ghz (AMD XP2800+)
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by musher70
    hey tpgo, i always thought since you have these cool posts,
    You were one of the big boys, and you only have a 450?
    And a mac on top of that? Dude, you need to get into the
    "real world" amd2000+ are at 100bucks now, so get it
    together, ok?keep up w/ the polls....try an OS poll next...
    And then he can go out and learn to use new software, not to mention the cost of buying all new software...

I do not recommend swiyching to anyone... And I sell, support, upgrade & Service Windows machines...

Note in the last year we had two (2) 80386 machines running DOS6.x in for repair.

They did the job and are still doing the job for the customer, Newer isn't always needed or better. In the real world many are still using 486s, pentiums, & Pentium IIs, They are productive and fast enough. For Word processing & Internet a 3Ghz machine isn't needed.

YMMV
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  21. P4 2.4ghz overclocked to 2.93ghz

-A4
    Quote Quote  
  22. AMD 1.8 XP DDR2100
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    P4 2.4BGHz @ 2.88GHz ( 160fsb x 18 ), default voltage.
    RAM @ DDR 400 2-2-2-5, 2.7V.
    Quote Quote  
  24. i have a 2200+ here, but my m8 is a hardcore overclcoker (serious water cooling etc) and has oced his processor (2100+) to 2.6Ghz, thats Pentium equvilent to over 3 GHz! i cant wait to get my hands on it over the summer (he doesn't encode, only playes games) hehe i reckon he will encode at well over 2.4x realtime with CCE
    1)Why Not Overclock a little?! speed 4 free!!!!
    2) If your question has anything to do with copying PS2/PC/XBox games, find a more appropriate website
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have...

A 1 ghz Pc (the one im using to post)

A Barton 3000+ on a slightly modified Shuttle Barbones..

and a Dual 1.5 ghz Xeon..( my fav one..)
    Quote Quote  
  26. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    T-Bone...

There are still some certain minimum requirements though.. your 386 should be at least 25mhz for any kind of comfortable WP'ing that involves vector fonts (or your machine a 486 - of any description - if you move up from eg Symphony or Works to Word , or plan to do more involved DTP).
    For internet forums such as these, I've tried it many times on a p133, it's often uncomfortable. Luckily VCDhelp splits them, but some don't - and long HTML pages take quite a while to parse and the pictures to decompress. It can be far slower to view a heavy page on a LAN-connected 133 than a 56k-connected PIII. 200mhz with MMX is a minimum really. Sad but true.

However going much more above that won't give you improvements in kind, unless you stumble across a godforsaken flash site with no html alternative. Seeing 1.7ghz or more machines being sold in stores as 'ideal for word processing and internet' gets on my chubblies, and not just because they're twice the speed of my own

The ultimate challenge, one day to be attempted, but not yet realised; spending a week getting all my WP, DTP, image editing, IM, email and internet done thru the old 8mhz, 1mb Atari. Apparently it's possible
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Amd 2100+ (1.73ghz stock) @2.3ghz rock solid.
    Quote Quote  
  28. celeron 1 ghz works great for me
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ladyb1998
    celeron 1 ghz works great for me
    The Celeron isn't too bad for the computer as I got one which is at 1.1 Ghz and this one works well as a basic. This is fine for Internet access and Office applications.

The Pentium 4 computer is much better and faster.
    Quote Quote  
  30. P4 3.0Ghz HT Technology baby!
    Quote Quote