VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using tmpgnc(know I didn't spell it write) to compress my mpeg files to mpeg-1 and then ez cd creator 4 to create the vcd. But whne I play it on my toshiba sd2700 I get some distortion, not very much but I get enough to be a bit of a pain, also there is no distortion whne I play this on my computer after I burn it. Does anyone know why maybe one of my settings is off when I record the movie to my hard drive or something. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi Jeff

From my experience i've found it to be a combination of things, the burn, the media and the player.

Since standalone players are usually more sensitive than CD Roms sometimes you will get this distortion. Different standalone players have different sensitivities so you might find that another player might play your disc fine. Since buying a new player really isn't an option as standalone players are expensive this brings it back to the burn and media.

Try different kinds of blank media, i've personally found that any generic brand with a light blue backing works best for me, but then i've also had quality differences in the brand of media as well, remember more expensive and name brand blank disc's are not necessarily better, the best thing to do is try different brands.

I've also found that sometimes burning faster or slower helps. For me i've found that a 1X burn yields the best results, but i've also seen cases where a 12X burn has given me a better result than a 1X burn.

Also try some different burning software, i used to use Adaptec and occasionally had some problems where i would have to reburn the CD again to try and make another copy that my player would like, since then i now use Nero 5 and this has helped improve my burns a lot. Remember there is other burning software on the market, but what may be good for me might not be good for you.

Hope this helps.
    Furble

<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-05 21:20:20, orangearmy wrote:
    I am using tmpgnc(know I didn't spell it write) to compress my mpeg files to mpeg-1 and then ez cd creator 4 to create the vcd. But whne I play it on my toshiba sd2700 I get some distortion, not very much but I get enough to be a bit of a pain, also there is no distortion whne I play this on my computer after I burn it. Does anyone know why maybe one of my settings is off when I record the movie to my hard drive or something. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

Jeff
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>
    Quote Quote  
  3. check to see that you encoded with the correct source aspect ratio (1:1 or 4:3 or 16:9) and destination aspect ratio (prob 4:3). SVCD is different than VCD. VCD should play back at the correct size, since it's essentially a fixed resolution already in 4:3 form. the picture will be slightly larger than the TV screen (edges are cut a couple lines, but the picture shape isn't changed) and this is normal and happens by design.

if you mean picture stretching, it has NOTHING to do with media. if you mean skips and stuff, that can be from the media, or from exceeding the maximum bitrate of your player. your computer doesn't have a (practical) bitrate limitation like a standalone.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Yes Patrickm is absolutely right, i wasn't thinking of it that way.

If the screen is distorted as in the picture is stretched in some way, then it is the way it was encoded.

If you experience skipping, pausing, pops in sound, then it could be what i said.

Regards
    Furble
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Make sure you use CBR (Constant Bit Rate) and not VBR (Variable? Bit Rate). The VCD standard doesn't include the VBR encoding (too bad). My Samsung 611 distorts VBR coded VCDs while my PC plays them fine.

Use then VCD template in TMPGenc and it'll be fine if this is the problem

Thanx/
    Lars
    Quote Quote