VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I mainly buy...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Widescreen!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I want it as it was original made (mainly widescreen). No pan and scan here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Buy? Buy???

I "RENT" from blockbuster "sometimes"...

Usually i "borrow" from friends cuz im in college and there are alot of people here that like to buy dvds

I mainly get whaever is available but i prefer widescreen!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Full screen is my choice It's too bad all DVD's don't come with both it would make everyone happy
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yeh man ... they use those dvd-9 dvd's for silly extras when te movie is the most important thing. sometimes the extras are cool if it was on another dvd but it would be so easy (sometimes) for the dvd makers to put both versions on one dvd... or even make a double sided dvds if they think quality would be preserved that way...
    Quote Quote  
  6. I have Get Shorty, It is double sided, 16:9 and Fullscreen.

I prefer full screen if possible since I have a 9 year old projection screen. If Full screen butchers up the picture, Then i choose widescreen. The 1.77:1 aspect in SciFi's Dune miniseries is not as obnoxious as the Aspect ration in the Movie Enigma.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM

I "RENT" from blockbuster "sometimes"...
    careful dbaker, defense'll get on your case for implying such naughty behaviour.

ZZ
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what are you talking about... i just said i rent from block buster... i dont wanna buy movies when its easier to rent or jus borrow and cheaper... I dont have to worry about messing them up... i dont wanna be one of those people who by like 500 dvds and lose them all in a fire or burgalary. thats like 5000 bux dude!

I do own about twenty dvds but those were all xmas or birthday presents

aight im done rationalizing haha
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i with you,

ZZ
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    why see only part of the picture when you can see the whole thing...
    (that means widescreen for those of you who couldn't figure it out)
    what are you askin' me for...
    I'm an idiot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Widescreen

The only problem with a wide screen TV is that broadcast or other signals with a normal aspect ratio will appear distorted i.e. everyone suddenly gets fat.
    Even with a widescreen TV, some 'wide screen' DVDs will still have black strips at the top and bottom of the screen, forcing me to use a vertical zoom thus distorting the picture some more.

Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  12. Quote
    (that means widescreen for those of you who couldn't figure it out

Why see half the tv in black bars when you can see the whole screen in picture the middle of the picture is the action not off to the sides

To me the bars are more annoying than watching something that is not important on the sides and to watch it on a 13's tv half the picture is gone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by birdygal
    (that means widescreen for those of you who couldn't figure it out

Why see half the tv in black bars when you can see the whole screen in picture the middle of the picture is the action not off to the sides

To me the bars are more annoying than watching something that is not important on the sides and to watch it on a 13's tv half the picture is gone.
    I use to have a 13' TV, but I still only bought Widescreen. I hate fullscreen. I hated knowing that I was missing part of the movie because the studio felt I didn't need to see it. Even with the small screen I bought widescreen because I knew one day I'd have a larger screen and would want to see all that I could. Plus I hate the fact that the studio decides what I can see and not see with fullscreen. It should be left up to me.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    I use to have a 13' TV, but I still only bought Widescreen. I hate fullscreen. I hated knowing that I was missing part of the movie because the studio felt I didn't need to see it. Even with the small screen I bought widescreen because I knew one day I'd have a larger screen and would want to see all that I could. Plus I hate the fact that the studio decides what I can see and not see with fullscreen. It should be left up to me.
    my point exactly
    what are you askin' me for...
    I'm an idiot!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Same here. Widescreen. If there is something in the movie, I want to see it. Even if it is tree on the side .... and maybe one day I will own wide screen TV who knows ...
    Quote Quote  
  16. I didn't buy a 65in Mitsubishi Widescreen TV to watch movies in fullscreen!!

Matter of fact, the only thing we use the widescreen for is to watch movies and play Playstation2. The "stretchy" video you get on the Playstation2 games is not that noticable and having everything that much bigger is really great. That and hooking it up to the surround sound is even better. Playing TestDrive and the car is like two feet widealong with the sound is the best!!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Definately Widescreen!!! :P
    Quote Quote  
  18. i only like tpgo editions,
    whatever they are...(*
    Quote Quote  
  19. I think that widescreen has the obvious advantage. Most DVD players let you view widescreen movies in full screen, so not having the fullscreen is not as much of a concern, even if you actually want it...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always buy Widescreen if it's available but I also go to the cinema too. The ones in my town are running the latest films for between $2 and $8 Canadian, so even the frugal "students" can afford to go...
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Tagger
    I didn't buy a 65in Mitsubishi Widescreen TV to watch movies in fullscreen!!

Matter of fact, the only thing we use the widescreen for is to watch movies and play Playstation2. The "stretchy" video you get on the Playstation2 games is not that noticable and having everything that much bigger is really great. That and hooking it up to the surround sound is even better. Playing TestDrive and the car is like two feet widealong with the sound is the best!!!
    Stretchy on PS2???? I would have thought that the 16*9 option that PS2 has would eliminate that. I mean it does Shrink the vertical when used on a normal TV.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who buys (or should buy) full screen dvd's?

My Uncle and two cousins got dvd players for Christmas. So I go over to my Uncles house a few days after Christmas to help him with some computer problems and he starts telling me how his dvd player is broken. I turn on the player, put in his copy of Blackhawk Down and start playing the movie. "Everything looks fine to me" I say. He's all like "The top and bottom of the movie are cut off." "No. That's originally how the movie was made. You aren't missing anything" I say. I spend ten minutes explaining the different aspect ratios to him and he seems to understand so I leave it at that.

Two days later I go back over and my one cousin is talking about how the dvd player she got doesn't play widescreen dvd's correctly. She says that it chops the tops and bottoms off. She says, "I've been telling everyone to only buy fullscreen dvds because those are the only ones that play right." So I explain to her the differences in aspect ratios. Then an hour later my other cousin is talking about how the tops and bottoms are chopped off. I then explain to him the differences in aspect ratios. His wife was there and after I got done she was like, "Well that's stupid. Who would want to watch a movie with black bars on the top and bottom." I nearly killed them all.

Needless to say I went back a few days later and my Uncle had solved his problem. He just set the DVD player to display 16:9 on his 4:3 TV. Sure, that setting fills the screen but it also chops off the sides and makes everyone like 8 feet tall.

People like this should not be allowed DVD players at all and only be allowed to watch VHS's...
    Quote Quote  
  23. who "buys" dvd's anyway, i used to, but just like cd's,
    one only buys blanks or recordables now, who needs
    the nice looking little jackets anyway, im sure you buy
    one now and then, but not as many as you used too...
    Quote Quote  
  24. LanceSteel, great story It was worth to be up so late today just to read your post
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM

I agree. I buy full screen because I want to see my whole tv in use.

When widescreen TV's become cheap, I will accept widescreen, it is technically a superior format, but until the prices come down, i'm buying the format my tv was ment to show.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Widescreen of couse. I want to see it the same way it shown at the Theatre(Cinama). Like when Star Wars came out. In Cinamascope and Dolby Surrond Sound with 1500 + people in the theatre. Now watch in letterboxed and DD 5.1 in my living room and a few friends. There is a reason films are shot in cinamascope, and that is the way they should be seen.
    May the force be with you.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Definitely widescreen, fullscreen makes me shudder!!!

I want to see the film exactly as the director intended it to be seen. Lots of money/artistic value goes into making each scene. A director has a vision and every inch of the picture is there for a reason. Whether it's a beautiful backdrop of a scene, or an expression on someone's face, I want to see it all. It's amazing how many little nuances that are missed in fullscreen can really make a difference in how the story is being told.

It's like saying I don't mind 10 or 15 minutes of each movie being cut from the original theater version, just to keep the movie length shorter for my home viewing.

I have two widescreen tvs now, but even when I didn't, I'd watch a movie with blackbars.

My opinion is if you're so concerned with the blackbars during a movie, you're obviously not paying attention to the movie in the first place. So my question is, did you rent/buy the movie to watch the movie, or to watch your tv set?

JMHO
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LanceSteel
    Who buys (or should buy) full screen dvd's?

My Uncle and two cousins got dvd players for Christmas. So I go over to my Uncles house a few days after Christmas to help him with some computer problems and he starts telling me how his dvd player is broken. I turn on the player, put in his copy of Blackhawk Down and start playing the movie. "Everything looks fine to me" I say. He's all like "The top and bottom of the movie are cut off." "No. That's originally how the movie was made. You aren't missing anything" I say. I spend ten minutes explaining the different aspect ratios to him and he seems to understand so I leave it at that.

Two days later I go back over and my one cousin is talking about how the dvd player she got doesn't play widescreen dvd's correctly. She says that it chops the tops and bottoms off. She says, "I've been telling everyone to only buy fullscreen dvds because those are the only ones that play right." So I explain to her the differences in aspect ratios. Then an hour later my other cousin is talking about how the tops and bottoms are chopped off. I then explain to him the differences in aspect ratios. His wife was there and after I got done she was like, "Well that's stupid. Who would want to watch a movie with black bars on the top and bottom." I nearly killed them all.

Needless to say I went back a few days later and my Uncle had solved his problem. He just set the DVD player to display 16:9 on his 4:3 TV. Sure, that setting fills the screen but it also chops off the sides and makes everyone like 8 feet tall.

People like this should not be allowed DVD players at all and only be allowed to watch VHS's...
    Not was too funny. I would have just given up and told them to buy whatever they wanted.

When I watch a widescreen movie I don't even notice the black bars. It's not they are flashing red and orange with a message saying "Hey look up here, I'm not part of this movie"
    Quote Quote  
  29. I selected the "whatever is on sale" option, though I do prefer widescreen to fullscreen. However, I've seen several people post that they get widescreen so they can see the "original movie as the director intended". I may be wrong, but I though most movies (in the theaters at least) are shot in a 2.33:1 aspect ratio which is far "wider" than the 16:9 widescreen ration. I've found some DVD's that preserve the original aspect ratio and it seems that most of them are labelled "letterbox" though I'm not sure if that is a standard term. And if you don't like the black bars, then don't get them. Well, anyway, to each their own.
    Quote Quote