VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I read somewhere (cant seem to find it now) that you can convert mpeg into something that you can play on DC. does anyone have any info on this?

-/\ \/ /\ t /\ R
    Quote Quote  
  2. Go to http://dciso.free.fr/divx-en.htm
    It's for divx videos, not mpeg, however.^^;
    Quote Quote  
  3. I cant understand what the hell any of that means, it says to do something with a file named bumper.sfd and i couldnt find any file such as that. could ya clarify it some? have you ever gotten it to work for you?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Go to http://www.dcemulation.com
    What you need is the mpeg player. You download the .zip and extract into one folder. Inside of your new folder, make another folder named Mpegs. Inside of this subfolder, put you mpegs or avi (no divx) and then burn it. Boot the DC, then pop in you disc. A screen pops up and then you highlight the directory Mpegs, and then it brings you to all of your movies. Press A on your movie and then you got it playin.
    Let me tell you a little bit about our Extended Warranty...
    ~Circuit City Video Sales 101~
    Quote Quote  
  5. I'd go with what 7thunders said. You can download a program called "gypplay." It's available on this site under the tools. It's by far the easiest way to go. Having to encode to a "dreamcast movie" is too painstaking and too much of a hassle. The only other thing you need is the Utopia boot disc which is available at:
    http://www.dccopyworld.com
    When you burn the movie, you actually aren't burning it as VCD. You're actually making a data CD and adding some extra files which the dreamcast searches for and will play. The Utopia boot disc is what you need in order to boot the movie or burned games. Make sure you follow the directions that are included in gypplay, otherwise you'll end up with a coaster. And also make sure you encode your movie to something that the dreamcast can read. It's all in the "read me" files included with gypplay. I've used this method and in my opinion it's the best and easiest.

Quote Quote  
  6. hi,
    ive actually got the dc moviemaker to work really well, with much more pleasing results than gypplay. what alot of ppl realise is that it not *just* for divx, it'll work with any avi file, and it will convert mpgs too. a litle while ago i did some research into the dc *.sfd format, and it is pretty much the same as mpg1, but with a few minor differences, such as the audio and video being kept in 2 different files, an *.sfa and an *.sfd. well as far as i was concerned, these 2 files werent all that different from an mpg which had been demultiplexed. so of course i demultiplexed a sample file, and put it through the encoder, and about 10seconds later i had my 2 dc files. i was amazed at how quik it was, butthen realised, its not actually encoding anything, just converting the files, so that they know they r linked to each other. so if u a converting a vcd or some other type of mpg, it doesnt take long at all to get great video results on the dc. the tutorial mentioned in an earlier post was really very well written, and translated even worse. what it means when it talks about 'bumper.sfd' is that you have to rename your finished files to that before burning them to dc disc. it also fails to mention that you need both the *.sfa and *sfd file on the disc, and that the finished cd will need the assistance of a dc 'boot disk' which may have thrown ppl off, thinking they have created a coaster. if anyone wants to know any more about this subject i will gladly write tutorials on how to convert avi and mpg to the *.sfd format,
    because in my opinion, the results are way better than gypplay(no offence to the author, its still a great prog)
    Quote Quote  
  7. The DC Moviemaker would be great, but what about .avi's, you gotta make those into .mpeg's. Gypplay doesn't need that. I have a bunch of .avi's and don't really feel like converting them. That's why I like Gypplay.
    Oh yeah, DO NOT get the VCD Player for the DC. It sucks butt. Just put rename the .dat to .mpeg and put it into Gypplay. Much better results.
    Quote Quote  
  8. yes, ok, it takes longer to convert an avi first, but you get more on a disc once converted of course and yes that dcvcd player is a complete loada cack, and im stuck with 3 of them....long story ive just created a nero image which can be burnt and played on a dc, as a sample of what the dc movie maker can do... i just gotta find a place to upload it.. it was created by frameserving from premiere using avisynth, from a dv clip from my camcorder. hopefully i'll get one up which was converted from a vcd compliant mpg asap, so ppl can compare
    Quote Quote  
  9. What version of Gyplay are you using? I tried the Lik Sang edition or something like that and the quality was horrible - lots of dropped frames and overall jerkiness. I like the results I got with the Sega Dreamcast Movie Creator, but I cant seem to get it to run on Win2k. It just wont install. Anyone know how to get around this?
    Quote Quote  
  10. i have the same problem... the only way i could get round this was to set up a duel boot system with win98se and win2k unfortunatly...
    Quote Quote  
  11. This column is yet another example of why everyone should purchase a dreamcast. everyone talks about the ps2, about its graphics(which i have yet to see a major, nay any improvemeent over the DC(JAGGIES EVERYWHERE!)) but yet this small white system is perhaps one of the most fun anyone can own.Right now i am listening to a disc full of mp3s on my dreamcast and before that i was watching Terrance and Phillip in "Not Without My Anus" and several music videos. Yesterday i played 7th saga on my beloved DC(which i decided to call Mr. Pilkington after playing sonic adventure on launch day) and although it wasnt that good(the game that is) it was on a disc WITH EVERY SNES game EVER. This little hacked and cracked system can do so many things that its almost unbelievable. Currently i am looking for a program that would allow me to port some VB programs of mine over to the dreamcast. and I havent even mentioned the games yet. While all of these 5th party apps in themselves promise an eternal life the games are just superb. For a "dead system" it still has over 20 games scheduled for release with over 80 percent of them uber awesome. Of all the systems i have been privy to owning (and thats A LOT) this system has the highest percentage of AAA games, and perhaps the most AAA games. Its sad really that Sega abandoned the DC, i just wished they would have released the DVD player (even though i have one which has Dolby 5.0, DTS, optical out, s video, color stream, VCD and CD playback, and it cost 50 bucks less than a ps2 which doesnt even have dolby digital), but still, I shall never part from my DC, even if i need the money for a transplant of some sort. For those of you out there who read this and have friends with ps2s do not scorn them, rather they deserve your pity. they cannot help it if they were brainwashed by sony, they cannot help it if they are slaves.

-/\ \/ /\ t /\ R
    God of Gaming
    Quote Quote  
  12. P.S. does anyone know a program which would allow me to transfer VB programs over to DC, or a tutorial on how to program for DC?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Try out http://www.dcemulation.com and it should have a link to dc development or try http://dev.dcemulation.com I believe thats it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Excellent, but its all in C, and frankly i dont know that, but i do know VB. surely theres a site out there with a download for the most popular programming language. does anyone know it?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, i am new here. I know this topic very old but i need help. Im good with computers however i cant understand the lingo you guys used above ^ about how to burn or play a vcd in sega dreamcast. Im going to ask like this, lets say im an idiot ha ha. Explain to me how i can use my windows xp laptop with nero 7 to burn a vcd that plays in sega dreamcast.

Do i need that hong kong vcd/mp3/remore player to play vcds in my dreamcast? If not, what program is the best, as of 2009, to download. Also i need Utopia boot disk correct? Can i play youtube avi or even flv videos to burn on vcd to play on dreamcast? This is all confusing with .std files. Please tell me how to easily play or then make my own vcd to play in sega dreamcast.

1) Where can i get a Utopia zip/winrar?
    2) Do i need hong kong dc vcd mp3 remote player? If not, what program?
    3) Do i have to convert a typical youtube avi file to burn it on vcd for dc?
    4) What windows xp burner is best to create a vcd?
    5) Can dc just play vcd, or supervcd, xvcd, etc...?

Basically talk to me like im 7 years old here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Holy epic bump, Batman! Out of curiosity, why do you still want to or even need to make VCD? And especially on a game console that died nearly a decade ago? Any $25 DVD player from anyplace can play XVID files at a resolution and quality level many times better than your console. The best resolution you can get from a VCD is 352x240, even DVD has a twice the resolution of that, at 720x480. besides, VCD and the other formats you mentioned are obsolete and long dead, as best I know nobody uses them anymore for anything at all. Might i suggest throwing your Dreamcast in the trash, and go get said DVD player.
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being banned. Do not post false information.
    /Moderator John Q. Publik
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The Dreamcast is still a perfectly good console, Forum Troll. But, yeah, vectorman, if you really do want to play VCD/MP3/AVI, and since you're in the US, according to your location, you'd be better off picking up a cheap DVD player that's capable of playing DivX/Xvid, or other players like the WDTV.

It should be noted that as far as I'm aware, the Utopia loader is considered warez, so most Dreamcast/gaming forums probably won't even allow discussion about it.

Also note that YouTube is generally FLV/MP4, not AVI. :P
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I appreciate your comments, the reason im here is cuz i luv sega dreamcast and its a retro system capable of doing many legal and not so legal things like homebrew games of kill bill, genesis emus, vcd playback, etc. Yes i have 5 dvd players but its about being retro, playing vcds on a dreamcast is a retro idea. I hope somebody can help me here. Anyway heres proof :

Dreamcast VCD/MP3 player with remote playing Star Wars movie etc...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s15y0Z6vCZk

Saturn VCD/PhotoCD playing Pulp Fiction movie on saturn vcd player...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAwCy...eature=related
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to work quite a bit with homebrew on the Dreamcast. It's been a long while, though (I was working with VCDs and DivX/Xvid on CD in the Dreamcast long before I got around to buying a DVD player capable of playing these things...), so if you're truly interested in working with the Dreamcast, you might start with signing up at a forum like the one at dcemu.co.uk and asking around.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks for your reply, but if you did it before - can you easily explain how to make a vcd (mpeg1) cd to play in my dreamcast? Do i need Utopia boot disc too? How do i make vcd in nero on my windows xp? Please help...I signed up to 3 forums about this, your the only one who admited to atual once dealing with a vcd on dreamcast - so please help...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Go here http://www.1emulation.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=494 download the .zip file which includes the guide and software you need. You need to use the Utopia boot disc with that guide.

I've burnt divx CDs for DreamCast, and they look like crap because of the low bitrate and lower frame rate. The DC is not powerful enough to decode full frame, high resolution divx videos.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you, but there is a flv to mpreg1 (vcd) converter so wont that work better or no? Thx, ok so i load utopia boot 1st, then link you posted 2nd, then i make a mpeg1 vcd and thats it? Please answer and thx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vectorman
    Thank you, but there is a flv to mpreg1 (vcd) converter so wont that work better or no? Thx, ok so i load utopia boot 1st, then link you posted 2nd, then i make a mpeg1 vcd and thats it? Please answer and thx
    Read the link that was posted, the information is there.

About the Utopia boot disc this link should shed some light.
    Linux _is_ user-friendly. It is not ignorant-friendly and idiot-friendly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, it's been years since I did anything with creating bootable discs for the Dreamcast (you can create a bootable disc without needing the Utopia disc, which I still believe falls under the warez category - but I'm not sure where to get the proper tools these days, especially after the staff at dcemulation.com had a falling out and the forum went down, which is why I suggested the forums at dcemu.co.uk - there should be some veterans there who know the ways to create bootable Dreamcast homebrew discs and where to get the appropriate programs), so my knowledge is rather rusty.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thx guys, disturbed does that work, i tried it and its acting up, i have a model 1 dreamcast and followed instructions to your link. wtf im doing wrong? i burnt utopia.nrg on nero but dreamcast goes to "cd mode" screen instead of reading boot cd....im using utopia v1.1
    Quote Quote