VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi,

did any body got the Rebate for the Drive that You bought on or befor 01/31/2003. I just got a email from Sony saying that are going to send me the check for 50$ for my sony.
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  2. Still waiting here but it hasn't been 6-8 weeks or whatever the time
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
  3. you can check the status at www.sonyrebates.com
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good News ... I got email verification today from Sony that they received my rebate submission for the DRU500a. So the $50 rebate IS FOR REAL. I mailed my rebate in on December 10 so this took about 5 weeks. Now the bad news (for me at least) ... my status is currently invalid because apparently I sent them the wrong UPC code. I sent them the one under the "Sony" logo and above the "For US/Canada" code. I just mailed them the remaining two original UPC codes from the box. I hope one of these two is the one Sony's want. I guess I'll find out in another 5 weeks or so.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Where do you get the rebate? Can you print it online or is it an instore thing.

Thanks,
    RiCo
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi!

I don't understand this really. I bought my DRU-500A two weeks ago here in Europe, can I get 50$ back from Sony, or what ? How do I do it ?
    I wanna be bigger, stronger, drive a faster car...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Great, according to the Sony status page my Rebate is in the process and is listed as valid.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Where do you get this rebate form, i bought mine in November, i would like $50 back, can some give a link to the form or tell me where to get it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have the form on the site below (look for the sony rebate link near the bottom of the page). It is date & store limited and is US only.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Thwiipp
    Where do you get this rebate form, i bought mine in November, i would like $50 back, can some give a link to the form or tell me where to get it.
    Rebate states all rebate submissions must be post marked within 30 days after purchase.

So they would probably deny it. (If you bought in November)
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the correct Website to get 50.00 Rebate form for the DRU500A and DRX500UL

DRU500A:
    http://www.rebateshq.com/weblogic/rebateshq/parago/viewPromotionDetails?prID=39213&bun...omoCd=02-50561

DRX500UL:
    http://www.rebateshq.com/weblogic/rebateshq/parago/viewPromotionDetails?prID=39214&bun...omoCd=02-50561

Click on "Continue" and register your info, then print and mail.
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK. So I sent the rebate in early December. All legit. I acutally bought it at Circuit City for the full retail price. I copied the reciept as requested. I cut the actual UPC off the box that even includes the words "DRU-500A" under the UPC. Mailed it all in:

So then I get this message last week:

"The (DRU500A) SONY DVD-RW DRIVE.UPC we received with your rebate submission is not correct. Please send the correct one to: ATTENTION RESUBMISSIONS, PO BOX 9013 Coppell, TX 75019."

I'm now screwed out of $50. They have my UPC. I've got nothing. I emailed them and said they must have made a mistake. They responded:

"Thank you for your rebate inquiry. We have received your submission,
    but unfortunately, the UPC barcode that was included is not valid for
    this promotion. Please make sure that the product you purchased was
    the DRU500A Sony DVD-RW Drive and that the UPC for the correct product
    was submitted.

If you still have the UPC for the correct product, please send it to
    the following address......"

...make sure that the product you purchased was the DRU500A... yeah right, I've got hundreds of these DVD burners laying around and I was just confused when I sent it in. HA HA. What a scam. You think the rebate company pockets the $50 from Sony for every customer they screw?

Yeah, I've got the box, with the freakin UPC removed. Because I sent it to THEM. What the heck are my options?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dahackermd
    OK. So I sent the rebate in early December. All legit. I acutally bought it at Circuit City for the full retail price. I copied the reciept as requested. I cut the actual UPC off the box that even includes the words "DRU-500A" under the UPC. Mailed it all in:

So then I get this message last week:

"The (DRU500A) SONY DVD-RW DRIVE.UPC we received with your rebate submission is not correct. Please send the correct one to: ATTENTION RESUBMISSIONS, PO BOX 9013 Coppell, TX 75019."

I'm now screwed out of $50. They have my UPC. I've got nothing. I emailed them and said they must have made a mistake. They responded:

"Thank you for your rebate inquiry. We have received your submission,
    but unfortunately, the UPC barcode that was included is not valid for
    this promotion. Please make sure that the product you purchased was
    the DRU500A Sony DVD-RW Drive and that the UPC for the correct product
    was submitted.

If you still have the UPC for the correct product, please send it to
    the following address......"

...make sure that the product you purchased was the DRU500A... yeah right, I've got hundreds of these DVD burners laying around and I was just confused when I sent it in. HA HA. What a scam. You think the rebate company pockets the $50 from Sony for every customer they screw?

Yeah, I've got the box, with the freakin UPC removed. Because I sent it to THEM. What the heck are my options?
    Well you have to remember like anything there is a level of ERROR with any process.

I think they have gotten better in the last 3 - 5 years. I used to have at least half my rebates turned down because of misc wrong reasons over 5 years ago, I stopped buying stuff that was based on rebates even for a couple years..

I would say I have gotten like 95% of my rebates filled and received in the last 4 years. One Maxtor HD rebate that was denied similar to your situation, I couldnt do anything about it. You can call. email etc but eventually if your not getting any response is it worth your time you have to think of.

I had 1 rebate from wester digital where they sent me half the ammount I was supposed to get. That I was amazed to get straightened out.

It's not Sony, it's all companies that offer rebates, they get ALLOT of responses and I am sure they probably dont pay those people much that handle them, so errors are bound to occur.

Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  14. dahackermd, do you have copy of UPC code ? I always make copy of all documents that I send for MIR.
    Quote Quote  
  15. @irosado, the link you posted regarding the DRU500a has a pretty big discrepency. At the top it says that the envelope you send this rebate in MUST be postmarked by 03-01-2003, but below it in fine print, it tells you that the envelope MUST be postmarked within 30 days of purchase. This make a difference to me as I purchased my DRU500a on 11-21-2002. I just wrote a full one page letter to go along with this rebate submission letting Sony know that the ONLY reason I didn't mail this rebate in sooner was because their representative's gave out inaccurate or false information regarding the rebate to begin with. When I initially heard about this rebate I called and I was told by "two" different reps that the rebate was NOT legit. I didn't sweat it much and being that "two" reps told me the same information, I didn't pursue it because I consider Sony reputable. Now that I am seeing that this rebate, was infact legit, I wrote them a nice letter letting them know what I feel about the information their representatives gave out regarding this rebate to begin with. If I had gotten correct information from the outset, I would have my rebate check already. I don't have much doubt that Sony will honor this rebate after they read my letter, because I am about as loyal of a Sony user as can be, but if I they don't honor this legitimate rebate, then I will NEVER purchase another sony product again! NOT EVEN BATTERIES! As far as the others go with getting information regarding the wrong UPC bar code, etc, to me that is all B.S. There is NO MISTAKE there, and it seems like the old run-around game is going on.

And as far as rebates over the last few years go, I would have to agree that they have been perfect. At least for me they have. Out of all of the rebates I have submitted, I have NEVER had a single problem getting EXACTLY what I was supposed to get within the time frame of 6-8 weeks. Once it took me a lot of persistance and 12 weeks to get a $25 rebate I was supposed to get much sooner, but I got it. And last week I received a letter from Verbatim saying that I sent them the "wrong barcode" for a $7 MIR on a 15 pack spindle of DVD+R's I sent in. There is that "wrong upc" garbage again. But I immediately called them, and even though it was only $7, it was the principal of the fact. After I got on the phone with one of the reps, they told me it was a mistake on their part and that the rebate was originally ONLY for the DVD-R's, but that the DVD+R's were later amended to also have the rebate, and my check was in the mail after we hung up. So I remain at 100% on rebates, and I'm not about to let Sony get away with the silly stunts they are pullin'. If they offer a Rebate, then they better honor that rebate (PERIOD)
    Quote Quote  
  16. As far as Rebate stories go.... I am at 100% too. (In doubt about I/O Magic one CD-RW 32x10x40 burner $50-$15ok-$30??=$5). My last experience with CircuitCity was funny. They had 100 CDR for $47.27 at store and for one day they had $15 and $25 MIR on the web. I saved it to my PC and printed them. Later on they changed it to $15 and $10 with same code. It took some fighting with them but on the end I have got my 100 CRD for $0.27.

Another from CompUSA was for my Maxtor 120GB HD. Original price $159.99 - $30 CompUSA MIR and - $30 Maxtor MIR. Now the tricky part was that on both they wrote that you need to send Original UPC Code. I called them both and verified that only Maxtor need Original. I wrote letter with my submition to CompUSA about both calls and I just checked web and my MIR should be in mail box soon.

So sometime they make errors (by mistake or on purpose) but if you have proof, you should win on the end.
    Quote Quote  
  17. donpedro

No I don't have a copy of the UPC code. I always figured it was useless since they always want the original.

If someone has a copy or digital, that would bolster my reply. I've got a nice picture of me with the cut box though.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by defense
    @irosado, the link you posted regarding the DRU500a has a pretty big discrepency. At the top it says that the envelope you send this rebate in MUST be postmarked by 03-01-2003, but below it in fine print, it tells you that the envelope MUST be postmarked within 30 days of purchase. This make a difference to me as I purchased my DRU500a on 11-21-2002. I just wrote a full one page letter to go along
    Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that is a discrepency.

What that is saying in a round about way is that the CUTOFF date is 03-01-2003, if you buy your drive 02-28-03 you can't mail it in 03-03-03 since it cannot possibly be postmarked by the 03-01-03 rule. (Even though it is in the 30 day window of being post marked)

They have started putting 2 time limits on allot of rebates. The limit of when it needs to be post marked AFTER you purchase it, and a Maximum limit of when it needs to be post marked by.

I bought a HD from compusa the other month that had to be post marked within 15 days of purchase and the rebate itself had a maximum post mark date like 7 days from then, so I had to get it in the mail right away.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by defense
    When I initially heard about this rebate I called and I was told by "two" different reps that the rebate was NOT legit. I didn't sweat it much and being that "two" reps told me the same information, I didn't pursue it because I consider Sony reputable. Now that I am seeing that this rebate, was infact legit, I wrote them a nice letter letting them know what I feel about the information their representatives gave out regarding this rebate to begin with.

I think it is fair to point out that Sony is a HUGE company. Often marketing doesn't tell the customer service reps about things until someone calls and asks. Of course this makes the rep look like a chump... I know I have lived this.... not that I work for Sony, but I understand how it can happen. Hopefully Sony will honor your rebate- that is good business.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I made a color scan of my UPC before I cut it from the box.
    Quote Quote  
  21. kitty

Well, with further thought, no-one elses UPC scan is going to work for me unless they didn't send in for the rebate. This is because the UPC includes the serial number.

Guess next time, I'll have my lawyer make 5 copies of it before I send it out.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by dahackermd
    kitty

Well, with further thought, no-one elses UPC scan is going to work for me unless they didn't send in for the rebate. This is because the UPC includes the serial number.

You may want to re-examine your box as you might have sent the wrong thing in. The UPC does not have the serial with it. I am holding an in tact box, did not submit the rebate, and I have three bar codes, (1) (sticker) with the serial number, (1) (part of box) for US/Canada and (1) (part of box) for Europe.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by edthesped
    Originally Posted by dahackermd
    kitty

You may want to re-examine your box as you might have sent the wrong thing in. The UPC does not have the serial with it. I am holding an in tact box, did not submit the rebate, and I have three bar codes, (1) (sticker) with the serial number, (1) (part of box) for US/Canada and (1) (part of box) for Europe.
    Yea now that I think about it, mine just had a few UPC codes on it like said above, serial # if I remember correctly was on the bottomo of the box? I can't recall now since I have thrown the box away.

I sent just the USA/Canada one if I remember correctly, and it was def not the serial #.
    Quote Quote  
  24. hi,

If You see the box there are two Barcode's one for US/Canada and one for Eurpoe. i sent the For US/Canada one and my rebate is said to be valid according to the email i got and also on the www.sonyrebates.com site.
    Baskaran Swamiappan
    Englewood,CO
    baskis@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  25. The barcode is the 2nd one below the one that has the Proof of purchase. Another loophole so they can try and get people to give up and save them 50 bucks. I did the same thing and just sent them the US barcode. Really sux that they don't accept a bar code than says in blaring letters "Proof of Purchase"
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    US Only??? WTF gives?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Unfortunately I'm not an idiot and sent the correct one in.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by dahackermd
    Unfortunately I'm not an idiot and sent the correct one in.
    No, that would be fortunate because you can use a copy of anyone's UPC as all UPC's have the same number. I'll gladly forward a copy of my UPC symbol to you but I won't give you a copy of my serial number, might need to prove I purchased it if my drive craps out.

Let me know. BTW I don't believe anyone here said you were an idiot.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Woo-Hoo. My querry at the sony rebate site finally yielded a response (been trying for 2 weeks now). Everything is valid and now I am due a fifty dollar rebate. This is great as I originally thought that I had no shot (could not find the rebate offer anywhere). My thanks to Kitty for posting the rebate form. 8)

-Smells_Like_Feet
    Quote Quote  
  30. @theseus001
    I think it is fair to point out that Sony is a HUGE company.
    No Shit? McDonald's is the the biggest Fast food chain in the WORLD, hands down, and one of the biggest corporations in the world. How many times have you seen a commercial where McDonald's has advertised a special combo for a special price and when you went in to get that combo, the person at the register said...."ooh, sorry, I am not aware of that combo for that price, I'm sorry, but that is not a legitimate ad?" I will answer for you..."NEVER!" And the reason for that is because Mc. Donald's knows how to run a "HUGE" business (PERIOD)

Often marketing doesn't tell the customer service reps about things until someone calls and asks. Of course this makes the rep look like a chump...
    Then that "HUGE" company of Sony isn't operating like they want to grow. Companies better realize that these rebates should be taken very seriously. The stunts they try to pull with the disguising of bar codes and serial numbers, etc...are just making customers more disgruntled and those company's reputation is on the line.

Bottom Line is that SONY will pay me one way or another. And I should know real fast because the mailing address from rebateshq.com to submit this rebate to was located in Miami. Conveniently, I am in Miami, and about 5 minutes away from where that post office box is. So I could of walked it over. They definitely received it by now, so I should know real soon.
    Quote Quote