VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    hay musher70,

yeah, this is a good idea of you starting this topic. I'm always curious to
    read other peoples results and what-nots. he he..

Peoples, post some pics too - Older method vs. dvd2one method ..
    Example: VOB vs. CCE vs. dvd2one

So that we can get a looksees..
    To share you PICs, (link wise) put your images on your webpage or Host, and then
    when entering your new post here, enter the following:

Note, pics were taken from another thread.. (for demo purposes)
    http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/muestra_original.jpg
    http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/muestra_cce.jpg
    http://www.dodstudios.net/uploads/uploads/muestra_dvd2one.jpg

Note 1, replace "your.website.com" w/ your actual internet address.
    Note 2, Its not recommended to post actual clip on this page, since it has the
    potential to have MANY - and it would take a VERY long time to D/L those pics while
    trying to read these threads, and may also cause the pages to staul.
    So, a link (like the above) is more than enough. Thanks everyone for your support.

-vhelp
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just downloaded dvd2one tried it burned it it plays fine one my pc but in my stand alone it skips from chapter to chapter. any one experienced this?
    Quote Quote  
  3. JasonK:

The copying of copyright material is a complex and delicate matter and many laws are involved regarding this issue.

1. Is it legal to make backup copies of material you own? (NO)

Quote: "Is there a difference between private copy and backup copy at the legal level? - Yes, the private copy is recognized like a right for copyright material with the exception of software. In this case, only a backup copy is authorized. Jurisprudence estimated that a backup copy does not correspond to the right to copy. The legitimate user has only the right to ask for the backup copy. "

=> In short, the right to make a backup copy of your DVD's comes from "the private copying exception" of the copyright laws. Without this exception, you could only ask the authors for a backup copy, you could NOT make it yourself.

=> Read the links below to learn more about the "the private copying exception"

2. Is it legal to download an mp3 if you own the CD? (no)

=> Copies made under the "private copying exception" CAN NOT be distributed in any way. You have the right to make an MP3 from an original CD (it doesnt matter if its yours or not, has long has its an original and you are doing a copy for yourself only), but that copy cannot be copy again.

3. Is it legal to make a "best of" CD to play in the car? (yes)
    4. Is it legal to copy a music CD borrowed from a friend? (yes)
    5. Is it legal to make a backup for someone else? (no)

About "The Private Copying Exception", read those links...

Canada: (french/english)
    http://strategis.ic.gc.ca/sc_mrksv/cipo/cp/circ15b.pdf
    http://www.cpcc.ca/english/proposedTariff.htm

Europe:
    Got a dead link on one very instructive article looking for it...
    Doh, found it, they moved it:

Translate the following article at the following site its worth it:
    http://world.altavista.com/
    Article: (Its in french)
    http://www.01net.com/article/195431.html

More Euro links:
    http://www.europemedia.net/shownews.asp?ArticleID=1375
    http://www.europedrm.com/presentations/hansen.pdf

BUT:

Europe is currently discussing a new copyright law for all the community countries. Private Copying may be threaten by it. Keep in mind that the right to make a backup copy of your originals comes from the private copying exception of the copyright laws. If they remove it, even making backup copies will become illegal, and so is taping a movie from a broadcast TV signal...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Igit

What media and software are you using. The DVD's I have made have been more compatable than ever since the use of the dvd2one. I believe it creates more compliant IFO files than ifoedit. No skipping at all. I have used recordnow dx 4.6 to burn with ritek 2x media.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I also noticed the moving background. I did the first 30 min of the trial version. I used it on boiler room and in the opening scene the background shifts left then right ever so slightly. It is a NTSC format movie I used.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Someone said that if quality matters that much, buy the original instead of copying someone else's DVD. Well, it sounds like you must just be pirating, but many of us are making backups of our own DVDs. We already have the original! So your statement makes no sense and doesn't apply here.
    Someone suggested that if DVD2one isn't good enough, then you should buy another copy of the original. That makes no sense to me. I'm already making acceptable backups using CCE for about 80 cents per DVD. And it's taking only minutes of my time. I know the technique, I never have to look at the guides, it's easy! Splitting to 2 DVDs would make LOSSLESS copies of DVD9 for about $1.60 each. It sure beats buying 2 DVDs of every movie! Think!
    OK lets do the math. If you paid $2000 for CCE, you could have purchased approx. 133 movies for the price of CCE, and an additional 10 or so more for the cost of the media - so 143 movies with that money instead. Now it is reasonable to expect that the average user does not have that many 'original' movies. But if you also add in the additional costs of computer equipment, electrcity, and time - CCE is actually a huge rip-off. The point is that instead of backing up the movies - you could have just bought them in pairs and still be financially ahead. What it comes down to is that to make a 'purchase' of CCE worth it you need to have a collection in the 200 movie range, or else you might as well just buy doubles.

Unless you pirated CCE. Because if you bought it you probably would have run this type of cost benefit analysis. It sounds like you just might be pirating - CCE, or you just like getting ripped off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. OMG musty thanks.

I was going to go get my eyes examine or something :P

Another problem I have with DVD2one is subtitles. The DVD's I made with this (all animation movies) have the first subtile ON when I start the movie.

I turn it off with my remote, but there must be a way to keep this from happening. Something in the IFO file?
    Quote Quote  
  8. from the sound of it, for $40 bucks it seems like a decent deal.

however, I think i'll stick with cce. I got it all so automated now
    it's a no brainer process.

-d
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have the same problem as lgit.

My setup:

DRU500a with 1.f firmware

Samsung 12x DVD-ROM

RecordNow Max 4.5 demo version

DVD20ne trial version

DVDDecryptor 3.4.1

Sony DVP-NS400D set top

What I've tried ,using Memorex DVD-R (version 2.0) @2.x, and Maxell DVD-RW (version 1.1) @1.x media:

1.)Ripped ALL files in file mode from a 7 GB DVD using DVDDecryptor but not into

the default destination directory it picked. I used a different VIDEO_TS directory (all caps)

2.) Ran DVD2one trial and got my 30 minutes of DVD vid in about 5 minutes. It was

also put into a different VIDEO_TS destination directory

3.) Burned DVD using RNM 4.5 with these settings:

Track at once closed, UDF Joliet 106 characters(blahblah), Had to change

the VIDEO_TS destination directory to all caps by right clicking on it and choosing

the option to modify it (forget exact wording). This directory is in RED as expected.

(Maybe this is the issue ??? This same folder shows up in caps in Windows

Explorer, but not by default in RNM)

4.) DVD burns and plays beautifully on the DRU500a (using both media types)

but my DVP-NS400D set top plays about 1 second of each chapter then skips to the

next chapter, then to the next etc etc....until the end

By the way, in DVD2one I selected the standard English audio and subtitles.

I have successfully ripped/burned a 4.3GB DVD with DVDDecryptor in ISO mode

on the Memorex DVD-R media and it plays in this same set top.

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong or what to try ??

What are the correct setting for RNM 4.5 ?

Thanks alot !
    Quote Quote  
  10. dun4cheap

I am using memorex DVD+Rw and vob instant dvd to burn another thing i can only get my burner to burn at 2.3x no slower than that.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by herbapou
    Well, there is a pulsating/shifting effect on still or low movement scenes. I pretty sure its there on fast moving scenes too but you cant notice it because everything is in motion. Why so many people dont see it is beyong me. But its there and it cant be cause by my hardware or my PC environement.

I see it on my PC with PowerDVD and on my TV after its burn to DVD-R. Its very very easy to spot and very annoying once you noticed it. Also, some other people saw it too. I am doing NTSC movies, so it may be related to this format.
    No, it's not NTSC related.
    My two PAL tests gave me the same problem. Not only the back ground, but also in the faces of principal actors (!). As long as there is smooth surfaces (could be grass in background) and low bit rate the problem cames up.

I did notice in one test that the bit rate from previous scenes are at around 8-9 Mbps (!!!) and sundendly drop to 2,5-3,5 Mbps in this scene. Previous scene is an old footage full of noise. DVD2One seems to give priority to these "details" in image. Perhaps an optimized distribution of bitrate could bring better results.

Still thinking about buying it for it's speed and simplicity, but not for now...

Since Pinnacle is around with other (similar?) program, I'll wait and see. Most of the features of DVD2One are a promise but not a fact.
    The author of DVD2One is (legitimately) taking advantage of releasing it sooner...
    Quote Quote  
  12. DevieD

I got bad results with Memorex DVD-Rs. Never use memorex dvd-r!
    I bought three and all three were bad. Now I'm using Ritek and there is no problem with Ritek for over 50 burns.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks hxc3634 for the reply !
    I expect a shipment of Accu DVD-R in the mail tomorrow !
    I'm still pretty new at all of this.

Unfortunately the Maxell DVD-RW (1x) media behaved the same way.
    I'm wondering if some options were set incorrectly in Decryptor ? I didn't set anything
    intentionally, just went into File mode, selected all files and ripped away.....
    Quote Quote  
  14. I backup LOTR NTSC with very good image quality. I used ACCU DVD-R, Sony 500a, and Nero. I watch the backup on 52” HTV with some very small blocky-ness in some dark low act scenes. This is an excellent program for making movie only backups. I can’t believe some of these awful reviews by some people. If they are so hang-up on quality, why not put it on 2 DVD-R or the magic flea is make a program that will be out tomorrow and this going to………? I am not saying this program is prefect, but it is damn close for me. Don’t take my word for it, down load the trail and see who is right & wrong .
    Quote Quote  
  15. I have some shifting or shimmering pixels too on some discs. It happens on Leon - The Professional, which is an NTSC disc just over 6GB.

As of right now, I can't use this program until that problem is fixed. I too am looking forward to the Pinnacle alternative, as well as CloneDVD from the CloneCD guys. I think it will use the same techniques.

Funny how all these recompression programs are being released within months of each other. It's almost like some white paper was released on how to do it, and everybody who could read/understand it is coming out with their proggie! Who knows.... I can't wait.

Robert
    Quote Quote  
  16. irwincur, (it looks like another newbie lesson)

OK lets do the math. If you paid $2000 for CCE, you could have purchased approx. 133 movies for the price of CCE, and an additional 10 or so more for the cost of the media - so 143 movies with that money instead. Now it is reasonable to expect that the average user does not have that many 'original' movies.
    You must have a difficult time understanding what you're reading and applying your computations to the facts. Here are some things you're missing:

First of all, I have said multiple times that I bought CCE for use for my video work way before I ever backed up a DVD. You ASS-U-ME things which I have already addressed in my earlier posts. Where' the comprehension here? Geesh. If you just wanted to copy DVDs, I can't imagine buying CCE just for that. It's pretty said you had to "do that math" to figure that one out.

Second of all, as I've stated in multiple posts, you can get excellent quality with TMPGenc also, but the encoding time is merely longer. Just encode while you're doing something else instead of staring at the screen. You can get TMPGenc for about $40 or so. Maybe you need to check your math.

Third, since I had CCE well before ever backing up a DVD, it cost me ZERO extra to now use CCE for this additional purpose as I already own a copy. :P

But if you also add in the additional costs of computer equipment, electrcity, and time - CCE is actually a huge rip-off.
    The cost of computer equipment, electricity, and "time" has nothing to do with CCE. I already had a computer, and time isn't an issue if you encode when you're doing something else (I've said this many times now, read!), and electricity to use my computer for several hours is only a few cents, BUT, even then, I can use my computer for other things at the SAME time it's encoding.

The point is that instead of backing up the movies - you could have just bought them in pairs and still be financially ahead.
    WRONG! I already have the computer and encoder for other purposes, so the only extra costs of backing up my movies is the 80 cent DVD. So let's do the math again. 80 cents vs $20. Which is more? hehe

What it comes down to is that to make a 'purchase' of CCE worth it you need to have a collection in the 200 movie range, or else you might as well just buy doubles.
    Absolutely false. As I have said multiple times, some people already have CCE for mpeg encoding before they ever were able to burn a DVD. And if they don't, they can get TMPGenc to get almost identical quality for about $40. And at 80 cents per blank disk, you will break even after just a few backups.

Unless you pirated CCE. Because if you bought it you probably would have run this type of cost benefit analysis. It sounds like you just might be pirating - CCE, or you just like getting ripped off.
    Or unless you're like many of use who have been doing video work, video editing, consulting, for years before ever backing up a DVD. As I said, TMPGenc is only about $40, so for people who don't have CCE for their video business, they have an alternative. And after all you've said, I still don't see how I'm getting ripped off when I can backup my DVDs for 80 cents each (and will soon be less.) And your alternative is to use software which gives lower quality results. No thanks! It's a good thing you don't run a video business like me. With that type of thinking, you would go out of business.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what does the "shifting" look like?
    Quote Quote  
  18. what does the "shifting" look like?
    I carefully look at the effect and "shifting" would not describe it properly.

Lets imagine you have 2 copy of the same picture in paintshop pro. Take one and apply a blurr filter to it. Then put them one above the other and alternate between them every half second.

So I was wrong when I use the word shifting because there is no shifting (movement) going on. The word Pulsating or Shimmering would better describe it.

So to see if your re-encode has the problem, zoom the movie with your DVD player and look at some part of the screen where there is no movement. You should see the image go sharp/blurr/sharp/blurr /sharp.. every half second or so.

This may explain why some people come up with screenshots of very bad quality output. Because if I take a screenshot of a scene when the image is sharp I go "wow this is decent encoding". On the other end, half a sec later, the same scene looks like crap, then it goes sharp again and so on...

I am pretty confident I nail it down this time.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Add Road Trip to the list of great-looking movies done with dvd2one. This looks really good, but the main movie was under 6 gigs, 5.57 gb to be exact I believe so I cannot detect any blockiness in any scene. I have found that sticking to 1 audio stream makes the overall video quality better if the movie isn't too large because dvd2one takes that extra space and transcodes the video or whatever it does to a slightly higher bitrate. All I can say is, bring on the new version of dvd2one because it's a definite hit
    Quote Quote  
  20. First of all, I have said multiple times that I bought CCE for use for my video work way before I ever backed up a DVD. You ASS-U-ME things which I have already addressed in my earlier posts. Where' the comprehension here? Geesh. If you just wanted to copy DVDs, I can't imagine buying CCE just for that. It's pretty said you had to "do that math" to figure that one out.
    I am sure that the makers of CCE would like to hear how you have voided their policies. Software is a simgle license, not per user but per use. If you bought this product for work, you technically can't use it at home for another use. So you basically are a pirate.

Second of all, as I've stated in multiple posts, you can get excellent quality with TMPGenc also, but the encoding time is merely longer. Just encode while you're doing something else instead of staring at the screen. You can get TMPGenc for about $40 or so. Maybe you need to check your math.
    Do you realize that TMPGenc is a total piece of crap. I can't tell you how many times I waited eight hours for an encode to find out that it died halfway through.

Absolutely false. As I have said multiple times, some people already have CCE for mpeg encoding before they ever were able to burn a DVD. And if they don't, they can get TMPGenc to get almost identical quality for about $40. And at 80 cents per blank disk, you will break even after just a few backups.
    If you read above, you need two copies if they are for business and home uses. I would also ASSUME that the IRS will kick your ass when they find you writing a piece of business software off for home use.

Or unless you're like many of use who have been doing video work, video editing, consulting, for years before ever backing up a DVD. As I said, TMPGenc is only about $40, so for people who don't have CCE for their video business, they have an alternative. And after all you've said, I still don't see how I'm getting ripped off when I can backup my DVDs for 80 cents each (and will soon be less.) And your alternative is to use software which gives lower quality results. No thanks! It's a good thing you don't run a video business like me. With that type of thinking, you would go out of business.
    I have been doing this for years - but I will not unfairly resort to screwing a company out of their hard earned money. And it is a good thing that I don't own a video business because I wouldn't spend eight hours a day trying to bootleg movies. When do you actually have time to run this business.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Software is a simgle license, not per user but per use.
    Thats not entirely true. Software is lincense per PC or user (on a network) NOT per use.

In fact, if he un-install the copy from work, then its legal to install it in his home PC. Or maybe he is working at home and his home/work Pc are the same.
    Quote Quote  
  22. irwincur,

I am sure that the makers of CCE would like to hear how you have voided their policies. Software is a simgle license, not per user but per use. If you bought this product for work, you technically can't use it at home for another use. So you basically are a pirate.
    What's simgle?

My business IS a home based business. And all my tax deductions are cleared and legal. You should look into home based business before you make false accusations and ASS-U-ME again. And the CCE software is only installed on my encoding computer. I have no need for it on anything else.

I have been doing this for years - but I will not unfairly resort to screwing a company out of their hard earned money.
    For years? And you still haven't learned anything. I find it hard to believe considering that years ago, DVDRs were not available, and then very expensive.

And it is a good thing that I don't own a video business because I wouldn't spend eight hours a day trying to bootleg movies.
    That's pretty shady that you are bootlegging movies to begin with. Most of us just use our hard-earned money to buy them, and then back them up. And if it's taking you 8 hours to backup a DVD, you're seriously doing something wrong. With my method, even a movie reencoded with CCE only takes seconds of my time.

I should also add that I have NEVER backed up a DVD that I didnt own.

Do you realize that TMPGenc is a total piece of crap. I can't tell you how many times I waited eight hours for an encode to find out that it died halfway through.
    There must be something wrong with your computer. I've used TMPGenc quite a bit the last few years, and no versions have given me such problems. And I've known many users in the video newsgroups using it who have also NEVER had those problems. No wonder you are so sore. You should hire someone to fix your computer instead of complaining just because I prefer to encode with CCE rather than use DVD2ONE. Geesh. Are you always like this just because someone doesn't agree with you? I'm only on this webboard to help others and pick up a few tips myself here and there, so I'm certainly surprised to be attacked like this!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've backed up

BLADE2
    RAN
    Seven Samurai
    LOTR
    BLACK HAWK DOWN

I see no pulsating or blocky effect and I'm pretty sure that I'm not blind looking at my 52" TV.

DVD2One Rules!
    Quote Quote  
  24. herbapou, actually software is licensed by how the developer chooses. For instance, DVD2ONE currently has no license agreement or copyright. This virtually gives you no limitation. Microsoft has a license agreement that requires legal background to fully understand. So unless a license agreement is included and accepted it would be hard to enforce it. I personally feel the DVD2one is well worth the $$$ so I purchased it. In all fairness to the developer and in hope that this will encourage him to continue its development.
    Quote Quote  
  25. JasonK-
    I love to read again and again in forums (that you've hijacked) how great your method is. You proclaim your greatness from your ivory tower. You constantly abuse others and make wonderful claims about how much of "your" time you save (by letting the computer do the work). Yet you bore the hell out of the rest of us with your endless posts and babble.

You're that kid who got the crap beat out of him in high school, and now suddenly you're better and smarter than everyone else and you want revenge! You have no life. And you think now is the time for JASONK to reign supreme behind the security of his computer screen, mocking others who dare to try something different or ask a question because they are learning.

Dude, offer a little help in the future or keep your lousy comments to yourself.

You'll prove me right as soon as you respond with some derogatory comment. Darn, that makes you mad, huh? Now what do you do?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Can you also mention if your backups are of full screen or letterbox, cause full screen is crap to begin with, so its gonna be worse crap after CCE or DVD2ONE, I can't stand fullscreen, its not even the theaters original aspect release, pan and scan is allready degrading the quality of the DVD so compairing a DVD2ONE of pan and scan to the same backup of a widescreen is not correct. so please mention if its pan and scan or widescreen, and don't hand me the crap that widescreen is less resolution than a pan and scan, zooming up to fill a screen is alot worse than few less lines of resolution from a widescreen, graininess is pan and scans worse enemy.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by JasonK
    irwincur,

What's simgle?

My business IS a home based business. And all my tax deductions are cleared and legal. You should look into home based business before you make false accusations and ASS-U-ME again. And the CCE software is only installed on my encoding computer. I have no need for it on anything else.

I have been doing this for years - but I will not unfairly resort to screwing a company out of their hard earned money.
    For years? And you still haven't learned anything. I find it hard to believe considering that years ago, DVDRs were not available, and then very expensive.

And it is a good thing that I don't own a video business because I wouldn't spend eight hours a day trying to bootleg movies.
    That's pretty shady that you are bootlegging movies to begin with. Most of us just use our hard-earned money to buy them, and then back them up. And if it's taking you 8 hours to backup a DVD, you're seriously doing something wrong. With my method, even a movie reencoded with CCE only takes seconds of my time.

I should also add that I have NEVER backed up a DVD that I didnt own.

There must be something wrong with your computer. I've used TMPGenc quite a bit the last few years, and no versions have given me such problems. And I've known many users in the video newsgroups using it who have also NEVER had those problems. No wonder you are so sore. You should hire someone to fix your computer instead of complaining just because I prefer to encode with CCE rather than use DVD2ONE. Geesh. Are you always like this just because someone doesn't agree with you? I'm only on this webboard to help others and pick up a few tips myself here and there, so I'm certainly surprised to be attacked like this!
    YOU ARE SO FULL OF SH*T AND EVERYONE HERE KNOWS IT.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Ripped Pearl Harbor. Have 2 VOB's (Part 1 and Part 2). When I try to open these in DVD2One it will only open the first part (2H54M). I may have to join the VOB's to get DVD2One to read them properly. How do I join the VOB or create a new set for DVD2ONE to readd properly? Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok here are my results.Independence Day 1hour,and 53 minutes movie.Television 27 inch Panasonic Flat screen.

Ripped movie with Dvd Decrypter-25 minutes
    Dvd2One-25 minutes
    Burned with Nero,1x Dvd-rw-57 minutes

Played Flawlessly,during dark scenes,fast motion scenes,and explosions there was no noticeable pixelation when played on my set top dvd player.The original movie was over 7gigs,when i burnt it,it was 4.7gigs.And i played the movie all the way through and there was no problems.So my opinion i love the program its fast.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Yet you bore the hell out of the rest of us with your endless posts and babble.
    Oh sure, and that's why I get quite private messages everyday requesting my assistance!

Now wake up out of your dream world regarding how you would hope my life is and come back to reality. Like I said, you can do it YOUR way, but it's been proven time and time again to be lower quality. If you're satisfied with it, then be my guest. But us videophiles rather put in a little extra effort to produce an indistinguishable copy.

As for the help I've given, it's in the "thousands" of posts on the different video related forums, mostly related to video editing, not for bootleggers.
    Quote Quote