VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. The glossary is up and running but it takes awhile to get a good set of definitions. While we can make up a bunch of crap but it would help if the highly educated VCDhelp users post glossary entries in this thread for consideration. An example is you don't see an entry for Huffyuv codec and post in this thread:

Huffyuv - a fast, lossless Win32 video codec developed by Ben Rudiak-Gould. "Lossless" means that the output from the decompressor is bit-for-bit identical with the original input to the compressor. "Fast" means a compression throughput of up to 38 megabytes per second on a 416 MHz Celeron. Huffyuv is intended to replace uncompressed YUV as a video capture format. It is fast enough to compress full-resolution CCIR 601 video (720 x 480 x 30fps) in real time as it is captured. Huffyuv also supports lossless compression of RGB data, so it can be used for the output of programs like VirtualDub. Creator's Site: http://math.berkeley.edu/~benrg/huffyuv.html

Thank you for your help. The Kitty
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Moderator doesn't refer to our drinking habits
    Panasonic DMR-ES45VS, keep those discs a burnin'
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Coaster

An authored disc that won't play, either due to improper authoring, poor media quality, or write error. Name derived from it's uselessness as a DVD/VCD, may as well be used to set drinks on.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Coaster added - thank you!

Others guys & gals?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    How about move this topic to the glossary forum and make it sticky??? (it will not be included in the glossary page if it is sticky)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Codec : acronym for "compression/deccompression" , is an algorithm, or specialized computer program, that reduces the number of bytes consumed by large files and programs.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Guest
    Testing. Now should everyone be able to reply in this forum but not make new posts. Will post a news about our glossary tomorrow. /Baaaldrick
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    One last test.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks SLBOSS926 - any others?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DTS

Stands for Digital Theater Systems or Digital Sound. DTS is another multichannel compression format similar to Dolby Digital used in DVD-video discs, DVD-audio, 5.1 channel audio CDs, and some theaters. DTS differs from Dolby Digital in that it generally uses higher data rates and most people have the opinion that DTS is better quality. It should also be mentioned that DTS can only be on a DVD-video disc if accompanied by a Dolby Digital or LPCM track to ensure compatibility, because DVD players are only required to decode or digital output Dolby Digital and LPCM. check out http://www.dtsonline.com

Pro-Logic

Pro-Logic and Pro-Logic II are methods of encoding 4 channels for Pro-Logic(left, right, center, surround) and 5 channels for Pro-Logic II(left, right, center, lsurround, rsurround), into a stereo(left, right) channel format to be decoded into 4 or 5 channels with a proper decoder. It is actually just a small amount of inaudible data slipped into a stereo audio stream that can be reconized by a decoder so that the decoder can separate the stereo signal into 4 or 5 channels. A Pro-Logic signal can be put into any form of stereo audio stream including digital files such as mpeg-1/2 layer 2, mp3, uncompressed PCM, audio CD's, and it is also used to get multichannel in VHS tapes and other analog sources. You can listen to Pro-Logic encoded audio streams with any normal equitment but you will only have 2 channels. DVD players are required to have a capable Dolby Digital decoder to downmix a 5.1 Dolby Digital signal on DVDs to a Pro-Logic stereo signal to be outputed with analog RCA cables (those red/white cables you use to hook up audio to your tv, home theater, etc.). Pro-Logic II can be decoded with Pro-Logic decoders but you will only get 4 channels instead of 5. Pro-Logic is also called Dolby Surround.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Donny661 - thank you very much! It's hard to track down accurate definitions for this stuff.
    Quote Quote  
  11. ok people - I know you want more definitions than we have posted.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay - I'm not able to give a decent definition but would like to see

Telecine : changing (adding frames) to the origninal film to format for smooth tv play

Inverse Telecine: just the opposite. Hehe

Like i said not good or very well explained. please elaborate (or correct ) them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    what is the meaning of "Transcode" or "transcoding"? It says that when i am burning a dvd with "my dvd". One person said it means the same as encoding but he wasnt all that sure. Any other suggestions?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oh what the Heck, let's try some of the obvious?

CAP also see Capping To capture video or TV/Sattelite signals to disk. this can include firewire capture from DV cameras.

Ep/Eps Short for episodes. Commonly used for a single TV episode, whether captured or from a multi-episode DVD.

VDUB See Virtualdub

TMPGEnc or TMPG or TMP MPEG encoder commonly used to encode VCD, SVCD, and DVD. (insert URL or vcdhelp link)

CCE MPEG encoder commanly used to encoded VCD, SVCD, and DVD. (insert URL or vcdhelp link)

Filter To manipulate a video stream to achieve a desired effect. This can include, but is not limited to, re-sizing, noise reduction, de-interlacing, softening, sharpening, and noise reduction.

Crop or Croping To cut away pieces of a video stream without rendering; similiar to cutting a picture with scissors.

WAV or WAVE Audio in PCM format, not compressed like an MP3.

MP2 SVCD audio format, similiar to MP3.

I'm out of time. A lot of these terms we take for granted, but newbs can get easily confused by them.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dbaker6165
    what is the meaning of "Transcode" or "transcoding"? It says that when i am burning a dvd with "my dvd". One person said it means the same as encoding but he wasnt all that sure. Any other suggestions?
    transcoding explained in the terms - both the tech and common usage ...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Gazorgan - thank you - BJ_M and I have added much of your list - thank you!

Any more guys & gals?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    TBC
    Quote Quote  
  18. To be continued?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Time Base Corrector - is used to 'clean up' analog tape problems and may assist in the capture of old VHS tapes when used betwee a VCR and capture card.
    A TBC is used to remove or mask variation in the synchronizing signals, which can result in "skewing" and other distortions in the video image generated by unavoidable mechanical inaccuracies in helical scan recorders. This is accomplished by automatically delaying the video signal so that each line starts at the proper time.
    TBCs can be expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Guest
    Correction:

SECAM = Sequential Couleur avec Mémoire
    Which means Sequential Colour with Memory
    Quote Quote  
  21. Guest
    About MPEG-Audio:

1) MPEG-1 Audio's frequencies are 32, 44.1 and 48Khz. It's Accedently written 33 instead of 32 in the Glossary.

2) In addition to Multichannel audio, MPEG-2 Audio also added the following frequencies: 16000Hz, 22050Hz and 24000Hz

3) Something you forgot is the MPEG-2.5 Audio, which added some more frequencies: 8000Hz, 11025Hz and 12000Hz

4) MPEG-Multichannel does not only support 5.1 audio, but also 7.1 audio. So actually you can make a XSVCD with 7.1 audio. I say XSVCD and not SVCD because the standart only says 5.1. for DVD however, 7.1 is part of the standard.

mpegobsession
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    thank you for the corrections .. i had totally forgotten about mpeg 2.5 (not much about it ive seen)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Guest
    MPEG-2.5 is used in Layer-3, mostly for speach data. I have seen, but not anymore, places on the net where you'd have live transmision of it. Later on RealAudio and WindowsMedia repleaced it.

Few more things:
    1) Here you can fine all you'd even want to know about TV standarts:
    http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Contrib/WorldTV/index.html
    (SECAM-E must have looked great!)

2) How about Zigzag and Alternate-scan? I have pictures of how they are made if you want.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yes i have plenty on Zigzag and Alternate-scan and also different matrix's .. though it ussually starts a debate on what is good when i just speak the facts ..
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks twodogs - added today.

Anyone else have a definition we don't have in the glossary yet?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Guest
    Interlace: "It works very well and is employed on all TV systems across the world except SECAM - R (Russian)"

In Russia they use SECAM-D and SECAM-K, no such thing as SECAM-R. All STV formats are interlaced...
    Quote Quote  
  27. I'll edit that out - I just cut & pasted that one def from another site. Thanks for catching.

Other definitions we're missing?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Guest
    How about RSDL? Reverse Spiral Dual layer? I would have written the definision here, but I'm really bad at that
    Quote Quote  
  29. How 'bout:

WMP
    PowerDVD
    WINDVD
    mpegproperties
    Quote Quote