VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
    Search PM
    jacknjt said:
    it's just da old format dvd-r. they made to cause trouble.
    both the phillips +R group and the pioneer -R group started development of their respective dvd recording technologies even before the dvd spec was finished, it's just that pioneer's -R was able to get to a mature level (albeit at first with only 3.95GB) and out the door a LOT faster. and they have been making SOLID dvd-recording gear for what, 5-6 years now. their "-R for General" spec has been around at least 3 years. I think they're over the beta testing by now... If they were made to cause trouble, they wouldn't have lasted this long.

also, don't forget the big ruckus about "Book Value" switching, and the whole "+R upgrade-capable RW drive" fiasco of last year. I think +R/W is not without it's share of equipment incompatibilities.

Mostly, I think there is a problem with ANY DVD recorder when it comes to real world interfacing with various peoples' systems. This happens not just with DVD recorders, either. Why do you think this "HELP" site is so popular?

As you probably are aware, I fall in the -R/W camp. I still think +R/W, and even RAM are good, solid alternatives for certain users and certain applications.

My $.02,

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 5 or 6(+1 or 2) companies that support DVD+R are all on the 200 + commitee list at the DVD Forum.

5 or 6(+1 or 2) independants vs. 200 world wide members

DVD-R is ISO certified for Video, DVD+R can't achieve this cert. for video, it did for data, but not video

More companies make DVD+R

DVD+R writers 29 (DVDRHELP database not settop)
    AOpen, BUSlink, Freecom, HP, Ikebana, Memorex, NEC, Philips, Plextor, Ricoh, Sony, TDK, Tritton, Verbatim, Vivastar.
    15 different manufactures

DVD-R writers 27 (DVDRHELP database not settop)
    Asus, Cendyne, LaCie, LG, NEC, Pacific Digital, Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, TDK, TEAC, Toshiba, Vivastar.
    14 different manufactures

hardly a difference.

DVD-R/DVD+R writers
    NEC, Sony, TDK, Vivastar

Besides the ISO certification, and DVD Forum, the 2 formats are pretty much identical.

They both burn to a round disc containing ~4.7GB which is said to be 90% compatible with your settop DVD player.

Conclusion?
    Since they both do the same thing, buy the one that's cheapest.
    Quote Quote  
  3. For the same company, media prices are fairly close. For example 25 (speed 2.4x) Meritline DVD+R are $1.79 vs $1.52 for 25 (speed 2x) Meritline DVD-R. The price difference can probably be explained by the difference in speed 2.4x vs 2x. So you should go with the more compatible format: +R. Or better yet, don't choose, get the Sony drive.

http://www.meritline.com/merdvmeddvdp.html

http://www.meritline.com/mer47dvmed2x1.html
    Quote Quote