VideoHelp Forum

Poll: I mainly make...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    none. I mainly buy DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to make only vcd, but now that I've bought a DVD burner I make DVDs (and mistakes ).

Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I only do CVD's now so they will work ok when I get a DVD burner
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SVCD all the way for me
    what are you askin' me for...
    I'm an idiot!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I made only xSVCDs (modified SxVCD) from VHS and xCVDs from DVB/SVHS/DVD
    Quote Quote  
  6. I used to just make standard VCDs, as my DVD player would not play SVCD. However now I have a DVD burner I mainly make DVD's, encoding time is a real pain though. Surprised to see such a high percentage for DVD, neck and neck with VCD at the moment.
    Quote Quote  
  7. For now I make miniDVDs (lots of discs but CDRs are cheap anyway (17 cents each )
    Once I got a DVD burner I could just rewrite those to DVD-Rs!
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a CVD guy all the way. I use to make VCD's, but the quality was questionable (pixelation and whatnot). Once I learned about CVD's (and especially after I started useing DVD2SVCD) and that they would "easily" convert to DVD format, I started making CVD's exclusively. The quality is great, no pixelation, sound issues, etc. I try to fit all the movies on 3 700mb CD's so that when the time comes for dvd burning, the quality that goes to the DVD will be great.

Can't recommend CVD format enough.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'd love to make CVD or SVCD but I don't have an MPEG2 encoder. My TMPGenc only does MPEG-1.

I mainly do XVCD's up to 1750K which do look good on my 42" HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I make 16 VCD's for every 1 DVD , even though I can make both. Simple reason ? Cost. I have almost 200 VCD's now from DVD rentals. Very easy to make, picture quality is just fine and for my purposes (building a movie collection) just great.

But certain movies demand I make them as DVD's to maintain the superb visuals and AC3 audio track for full surround. For cases like this (Star Wars II for example) I do the DVD's .

P.,S. - For CD-r's , I use the DIAMOND CD's exclusively and have had over a year of flawless rendering and playback.....
    Quote Quote  
  11. I mainly make VCD's and xVCD...
    Not ready to make the leap into DVD yet..
    Quote Quote  
  12. I manily use a Terapin VCD recorder too. I make anamorphic widescreen VCD's by recording the output of my dvd player on 16:9. Then it plays in widescreen on my widescreen hdtv
    Quote Quote  
  13. Is anyone else shocked to see a 3 way split between VCD, SVCD, and DVD? For all the moaning I see about VCD and crappy quality....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by telemike
    I make anamorphic widescreen VCD's... it plays in widescreen on my widescreen hdtv
    heh. maybe i'm not that much in the know of vcd's, but an anamorphic widescreen vcd? is that even possible? and why the hell would you have an hdtv and play measily little vcd's on it? it defeats the purpose of having a good tv.. its like buiding a really nice swimming pool in your back yard and filling it up with sewage..

----

anyhoo, dvd-r all the way.. but there will be once in a while when i will make svcd/vcd's.
    Quote Quote  
  15. fmctm1sw

I was surprised to see such a large % for DVD, but the other 2 don't surprise me. There are a lot of DVD players that will play VCD, but will not play SVCD, this is the reason I used to make VCD before I got my DVD burner. And to be honest I thought the quality was pretty good, providing you have a good source of course.
    Quote Quote  
  16. True, vcd quality isn't as good as dvd on my hdtv, but I can get good results with dvd copies on the terapin. Also, XVCD's turn out really nice. I made an XVCD @1750K of Ice Age from a Divx and it looks close to dvd, fools most people. Making the VCD "squashed" so it stretches out on a 16:9 tv works better for me than using the tv's zoom feature to remove letterbox black bars. If you send me an mpeg2 encoder to try I will see if SVCD is better than XVCD. I also have not played around with using my capture card and Windvr2 to make svcd's from my dvd player yet....
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm rather surprised by the lower numbers of "KVCD" makers... and considering the number of voters, this is probably fairly representative.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  18. It depends on the content.

DVD at full resolution for home movies.

DVD at HHR for movies recorded off digital satellite.

X/SVCD for TV shows.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Well I tried KVCD and apart from the silly dimensions that my dvd player will not play I couldn't see the 'fabulous' difference in anything I tried. My hollywood card could play ( kinda squished up a bit ) them but to far away from a bigger TV screen for me to see if they were just as good enlarged. Some...most of the samples do look good but I would like to see the effects of kvcd templates being used on some 'stinky' bits of film with more regular dimensions.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Far too goddamn old now EddyH's Avatar
    Soul sucking suburbia! But a different part since I last logged on.
    Search Comp PM
    KVCD? that still being pushed as an official acronym?

Personally xVCD, it still whips VHS for everything except maybe vertical resolution - and even that is simulated well enough by the blending and subsequent reinterlacing. If I want quality any higher than that - and I'm really not gonna be able to tell the difference until I can afford a whopping TV - well heck I'll go buy the official DVD, or get it off the shelf if it's a backup rather than a download.

(threadjack)
    The amount of filtering I've had to do on some DVDs/DVDrips though, perhaps in future I'll end up saving the end result to a DVDR so that the original remains only as a last chance archive copy. This weeks troublesome xVCD for example, ostensibly a straight DVD rip to DivX and VBR MP3, needed colour, contrast and sharpness correction (far too pink, faded, blurry) and three different flavours of audio filtering (to get rid of -50db noise - fifty! thats as bad as vhs! - careless 15.75khz and other scan whistles, and reamping). The original DVD might be close to unwatchable in comparison now, if twere not for the 4x resolution and surround sound.
    (/threadjack)
    -= She sez there's ants in the carpet, dirty little monsters! =-
    Back after a long time away, mainly because I now need to start making up vidcapped DVDRs for work and I haven't a clue where to start any more!
    Quote Quote  
  21. If you're not making DVD's, then CVD (352x480, mpeg2) is probably the next best thing. Not because it looks better than SVCD or miniDVD. But it does look great and is DVD compatible.

Based on picture quality and compatibility, I would rank this way:

1. DVD (720x480, mpeg2)

2. CVD (352x480, mpeg2, 1500+ bitrate)

3. SVCD/XSVCD (480x480, mpeg2, 2000+ bitrate)
    - equal to CVD if using 99 min cd-r's

4. VCD/XVCD (352x240, mpeg1, 1200+ bitrate)

5. miniDVD (720x480, mpeg2)
    - just buy some DVD-R's and move to the top

This ranking is for backing up movies only. And assumes 50+ minutes of video on a 80min cd-r. Just my opinion.

wway
    Quote Quote  
  22. I mostly do DivX with Nandub since they look so good on my TV using TV-out. Been using XviD more and more though since its getting better.
    Besides this I do a mixture of VCD and SVCD's with either TMPGEnc or CCE.

After DVD burner's get faster and cheaper I will pick me one up
    iAMD64. µ
    The World is changed, Some say Awakened.
    It's 13:53:33 . Do You Know Where Your Meat Body Is?
    Shadowrunner by trade...
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by vitualis
    I'm rather surprised by the lower numbers of "KVCD" makers...
    I'm not surprised at all. Most people doing KVCDs are not around here anymore

-kwag
    KVCD.Net - Advanced Video Conversion
    http://www.kvcd.net
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I mainly make CVD's and XVCD's. CVD's give me great quality from DVD-Rips! :P
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by puertorican138
    I mainly make CVD's and XVCD's. CVD's give me great quality from DVD-Rips! :P
    Try this for greater quality over any CVD on 2 CDs : http://www.kvcd.net/signs-cq73-sample-full.mpg
    Read how to do it here: http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2073&start=570 8)

-kwag
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by pyst
    but I would like to see the effects of kvcd templates being used on some 'stinky' bits of film with more regular dimensions.
    Check the CoorsLight sample here from a VHS capture->KVCDx3 conversion: http://www.kvcd.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2450&highlight=rendalunit+vhs

-kwag
    Quote Quote  
  27. Heck at $2 for a DVD+R, DVD all the way, saving me a bundle, I have allready paid for my DVD burner 3-4 times over, easily. Plus it does not take any more time to encode a DVD over a VCD or SVCD, actually I can do a DVD+R in less time, plus the 5.1 audio and audio commentary is a huge plus not to mention Menu's and chapters. Plus with a higher percentage, about 95% of my DVD+R's playing in other DVD players, better chance than a VCD or SVCD would have.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by thxkid
    Plus it does not take any more time to encode a DVD over a VCD or SVCD, actually I can do a DVD+R in less time,
    You must be doing it different to me than.

I encode my DVD's with an average VBR 2 pass bitrate of around 3500-5000kb/s depending on the length of the movie. I encode at such a bitrate that the movie will fill the disc. This takes approx 11 hours.

VCD is 1150 KB/s I can encode to this in quicker than real time. so a 2 hour movie would take about 1:45 to encode.

How can it possibly be quicker to encode at 5Mb/s than 1150 Kb/s.

Unless of course you are backing up DVD's with out reencoding at all.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I want to perfect multiple movies on one DVD-R...

Then I will be happy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have a DVD burner and none of the above as yet. The DVD burner will come some day for me do something.
    Quote Quote