VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by Microman
    I dont understand why I cant find the preview movie. I can see it says in the terminal, that it was copying the file, but then I read NO SUCH FILE, etc....
    I see exactly the same thing. The preview file is created 'movie.mpg.avi', but is deleted just before mplayer is run for the preview. Indeed I get a message, 'file not found movie.mpg', i.e without the .avi.

If I do a swift finder copy of the file before it's deleted, and manually view it in mplayer, it seems fine.

42 seems to continue the encoding though. I'm still waiting for my SVCD encoding to complete, so can't report if the final stages also have problems yet.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The movie.mpg.avi is NOT the re-encoded file, its the file that is first ripped from the dvd, - THAT is the file that is re-encoded into mpg so copying it and doing anything with it wont be of any use.

either way hopefully most of these problems people have will be addressed with 1.0. We will begin beta testin relatively soon as kai has mentioned so 1.0 should be on the horizon to release *relatively* soon.
    As below, so above and beyond, I imagine
    drawn outside the lines of reason.
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  3. First test post
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Kai & Bile,

Many thanks for a job well done. Hope you can answer this question for me. I converted The Hudsucker Proxy using the VCD setting on 42. 42 split the final output into two .mpg files. The first part (approx. 704 mB) was an easy drag and drop into Toast Titanium. When I go to burn the 2nd part (approx. 398 mB), however, I get an error message - apparently Toast isn't seeing the file as a proper .mpg format. I've tried twice with this DVD and the same thing happened both times. Any ideas on this? Other than that it works flawlessly on my DP 867 G4.

dtown
    Quote Quote  
  5. 42 rocks!

That said, I just wanted to relate my successful conversion of the LOTR: FOTR extended DVD to DivX. Just perfect!

Anybody tried Episode 1 to DivX? The final .avi still has black bars on the top and bottom, unlike LOTR: FOTR which is perfectly cropped. Any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dtown
    Hi Kai & Bile,

Many thanks for a job well done. Hope you can answer this question for me. I converted The Hudsucker Proxy using the VCD setting on 42. 42 split the final output into two .mpg files. The first part (approx. 704 mB) was an easy drag and drop into Toast Titanium. When I go to burn the 2nd part (approx. 398 mB), however, I get an error message - apparently Toast isn't seeing the file as a proper .mpg format. I've tried twice with this DVD and the same thing happened both times. Any ideas on this? Other than that it works flawlessly on my DP 867 G4.

dtown
    You can use VCDGearX (get it from versiontracker.com) to convert it to .bin or .mpg with Toast compatible option checked. I would just convert it to .bin because it always works for me. And remember to check the terminal option because I find it works better.
    Quote Quote  
  7. KaiCherry,

I'm suffering from the same installation problems as outlined below (mencoder missing) yet have re-installed the app minimum 2 times with no success (per your previous suggestions). Any other remedies/suggestions come to mind that can resolve his dilemma?

TIA.

Skiman
    Originally Posted by KaiCherry
    Originally Posted by Flip Flop Frog
    I've got a bit of a problem with the installation and use.

I copied the folder called "forty-two" over to the /Library/Application Support" folder and I went to the links you set out and download the following.

mencoderrc45.sit - Which contained a file called "Mencoder for OS X.app"
    lastbinary.sit - which I took the file called mplayer from
    and mpeg2enc.txt - which I remaimed "mpeg2enc" without the extension.

I then copied those files into the "/Library/Application Support/forty-two" folder and opened up the "forty-two.app" file.

I went through the setup, selected SVCD output, dragged my DVD over, and clicked "start" ... It told me "mencoder missing"
    Yes, this is a shortcoming of the documentation on my part. You in fact need to extract mencoder from the .app wrapper's Contents/Resources folder. We are still evaluating the impact of using newer versions of mencoder. This is the one I recommend and use normally.

two folder, and clicked start again, filled in the directory, filename, But then it just gives me a message "Bus Error"

Suppose you could lend some assistance?
    I have no idea *why* you are getting this error; I do know what is causing it however. One of the testers had this issue, got a new build, and it went away. I believe it has to do with the interaction between the term app and 42.

Try running 42 with the terminal application running, then closed, to see it it makes a difference.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  8. Ok, I'm having the same problems where I get crap like: Reading /Users/mlindber/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/Users/mlindber/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory

This is really frustrating. This happens when I try to encode a DivX. What am I doing wrong? Divx simply won't encode. Do I need to install mplayer after all? I don't get a test .avi, just garbage saying that it can't find a file or directory. Maybe I need to redirect something? Do I need to install developer tools?

Also, I would really appreciate better support for subtitles (like being able to choose by stream number instead of language). That and PAL DVDs.

Thanks for the good work!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mlindber
    Ok, I'm having the same problems where I get crap like: Reading /Users/mlindber/.mplayer/codecs.conf: can't open '/Users/mlindber/.mplayer/codecs.conf': No such file or directory

This is really frustrating. This happens when I try to encode a DivX. What am I doing wrong? Divx simply won't encode. Do I need to install mplayer after all? I don't get a test .avi, just garbage saying that it can't find a file or directory. Maybe I need to redirect something? Do I need to install developer tools?

Also, I would really appreciate better support for subtitles (like being able to choose by stream number instead of language). That and PAL DVDs.

Thanks for the good work!

THAT IS NOT AN ERROR!!!! that is normal output for mplayer it *ALWAYS* says that ANYTIME it runs.. for me for you for anyone. PLEASE stop posting messages about the last beta of 42, as kai said its DEAD. wait for the next version to come out and THEN if u have problems ask.

if anybody asks ANY questions that are answered in the FAQ or readme we will NOT be happy. Read those BEFORE you even run the program.-- this message isnt aimed at mlindber in particular, it goes out to ANYONE who grabs the next beta. (when its out of course...)

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind. Withering my intuition leaving all these opportunities behind.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by bilestyle
    THAT IS NOT AN ERROR!!!! that is normal output for mplayer it *ALWAYS* says that ANYTIME it runs.. for me for you for anyone.
    It seems to be some kind of error because Divxs just plain do not encode. No demo file, nothing. I assume when it looks for something and it reports that it isn't there, it SHOULD be there. I was apparently mistaken.

I'll wait until the next beta.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by spiff41398
    42 rocks!

That said, I just wanted to relate my successful conversion of the LOTR: FOTR extended DVD to DivX. Just perfect!

Anybody tried Episode 1 to DivX? The final .avi still has black bars on the top and bottom, unlike LOTR: FOTR which is perfectly cropped. Any ideas?
    This has been fixed.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hi Kai:

I am poring over the FAQs and readme file before I try this...haven't come across the answer to this question though:

I have read that ripping directly from the DVD drive will fritz the drive, and that one should extract the .vob file from the DVD using OSEx (which I just d/L'ed from versiontracker) (I guess sort of like a disc image)

Can you safely rip directly from the DVD with 42, or do you need to rip from the extracted file?

Cheers

C
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Clamchowdah
    Can you safely rip directly from the DVD with 42, or do you need to rip from the extracted file?

Cheers

C
    if you are concerned about drive wear, i've been told that forty-two works on disk images of dvds

It does not support vobs and most likely never will, for techincal and "political" reasons.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  14. Using 42-fixed, but processing started prior to Kai's announcement of a new version in the works, my SVCD conversion of fightclub is complete. Many thanks for developing this tool, it looks very promising, and will be very welcome indeed once the beta testing is complete.

Here are a few comments/questions that may or may not be still relevant to the new version.

* The preview doesn't work for me at all - I get an error stating that the file is missing, however full encoding seems to work.

* SVCD conversion of fight club (PAL) took approx 50 hours to complete on an iMac G3 500 MHz with 512 KB RAM. Is this entirely due to my config or the fact I was using a PAL source disc, and can it be improved ?

* Some kind of status/progress indicator would be useful, and an approx time to complete would be excellent.

* Three mpeg files were created, however they remained in the temp directory at the end of processing, rather than being copied over to the destination directory.

* The quality of the o/p looked excellent.

* The size of the mpeg files seemed odd, 712 MB for the first two, and a few MB for the final one. Am I wrong or is this too big to fit on a CD ? Surely the biggest CD-RW I can get will fit 700 MB.

* Would it be possible to cut the discs at scene changes ?

* or, would it possible to overlap a little (say 30 secs) at the end and start of subsequent discs ?

Many many thanks again guys !
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The conversion speed has nothing to do with the fact that your source disc is PAL. Officially PAL discs are not supported, (not that they need to be because those who use PAL discs dont run into the same sync problems because there is only one framerate to deal with)

your speed is slow because your machine is a older and is a G3, most optimizations in speed with the tools we use are only optimized via altivec and that is solely available in G4's, so you can't really expect anything to be faster in any upcomming versions.

in the next version there is a progress bar, but there is not any remaining time displayed and there wont be any time soon (if ever, especially on the mpeg side).

I doubt we are going to put in any control over where files are split in the versions to come later (certainly not in 1.0, we arent making changes at this point anymore for 1.0, just squashing bugs)

Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by occitan
    Using 42-fixed, but processing started prior to Kai's announcement of a new version in the works, my SVCD conversion of fightclub is complete. Many thanks for developing this tool, it looks very promising, and will be very welcome indeed once the beta testing is complete.

Here are a few comments/questions that may or may not be still relevant to the new version.

* The preview doesn't work for me at all - I get an error stating that the file is missing, however full encoding seems to work.
    This has been fixed.

* SVCD conversion of fight club (PAL) took approx 50 hours to complete on an iMac G3 500 MHz with 512 KB RAM. Is this entirely due to my config or the fact I was using a PAL source disc, and can it be improved ?
    its your G3

* Some kind of status/progress indicator would be useful, and an approx time to complete would be excellent.
    There is a status indicator now. For mpeg, it tells how many frames of video out of the total have been completed.

For Divx it tells how many minutes of the dvd have been transcribed.

* Three mpeg files were created, however they remained in the temp directory at the end of processing, rather than being copied over to the destination directory.
    Oops! this has been going on for awhile It will be fixed if it doesn't break anything

* The size of the mpeg files seemed odd, 712 MB for the first two, and a few MB for the final one. Am I wrong or is this too big to fit on a CD ? Surely the biggest CD-RW I can get will fit 700 MB.
    Actually, they are *too small* and this has been fixed. The mpegs are targeted for authoring to VCD/SVCD and variants, which are Mode2 CDROM-XA

* Would it be possible to cut the discs at scene changes ?
    Nope

* or, would it possible to overlap a little (say 30 secs) at the end and start of subsequent discs ?
    and nope

Many many thanks again guys !
    np,

-K
    Quote Quote  
  17. Thanks very much for the helpful replies, it's gretly appreciated !

Originally Posted by KaiCherry

There is a status indicator now. For mpeg, it tells how many frames of video out of the total have been completed.

For Divx it tells how many minutes of the dvd have been transcribed.
    Are you able to add how many frames(mpeg)/mins(divx) are expected in total, to give an idea of how far through the process is ?

Actually, they are *too small* and this has been fixed. The mpegs are targeted for authoring to VCD/SVCD and variants, which are Mode2 CDROM-XA
    Ahh of course, no redundency checks on the sectors - thanks. Indeed Toast tells me 71:35 track length, so an 80 min disc could take a little more than that.

Is it possible (via a post processing hack of course) to concatenate and re-split the mpg files created by 42 at a different place, without needing to reencode ? If so, can anyone point me in the direction of some info/tools ?

Many thanks again !
    Quote Quote  
  18. Downloaded the latest version from the 42 site last night, and used it over night. Same results. In morning ended up with 3 or 4 files in the TEMP folder, and 3 or 4 files in OUTPUT folder, but nothing a movie that plays.

Where can I find this fixed version. Love to test. on this Sat Night Live DVD.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hi!!

Let me start by saying "At last a ripping software that looks usable". I have a questions for the developers.

1: As far as i can see there is only a few availible languages to choose from when you rip subs and audio from the dvd, are you going to implement support for other languages too (please)?

You see, my japaneese, spanish english and french are a little rusty

2: What version of divx will the resulting movie be in (4 or 5) ?

Thanks for developing this promising software, you are about to become heroes in the mac comunity!!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hey Kai.. thanks for this awesome contribution to the Mac community.

Kore kara windows no hito ni baka ni sehen kamoshirehen na!

I downloaded the 1.0 version and can't seem to get it to recongnize any Region 2 DVD. I live in Japan and have no Region 1 DVD's to test, so I don't know if that's the problem. I clicked "more" and saw all the subtitle, chapter, etc info listed correctly, but a start button never appeared and the pop-up menus to choose Audio and Subtitles stayed grayed-out. Eventually a dialog box says 42 has scanned the CD, would you like to scan again. I have tried 3 DVD's included Ally McBeal, South Park and one Japanese Animation title... I wonder if I should have removed all the mencoder, mplayer components I downloaded and installed in the /applications/application support/fourty-two folder before running the small app included that seems to do that for you automatically. I guess I will try it.

Thanks again.. will check back later.

Adam
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by abomb
    Hey Kai.. thanks for this awesome contribution to the Mac community.

Kore kara windows no hito ni baka ni sehen kamoshirehen na!
    Ne, ne! Sou desu ne! ROTF...

Not Nice Not their fault, heheh.

I downloaded the 1.0 version and can't seem to get it to recongnize any Region 2 DVD. I live in Japan and have no Region 1 DVD's to test, so I don't know if that's the problem. I clicked "more" and saw all the subtitle, chapter, etc info listed correctly, but a start button never appeared and the pop-up menus to choose Audio and Subtitles stayed grayed-out. Eventually a dialog box says 42 has scanned the CD, would you like to scan again. I have tried 3 DVD's included Ally McBeal, South Park and one Japanese Animation title... I wonder if I should have removed all the mencoder, mplayer components I downloaded and installed in the /applications/application support/fourty-two folder before running the small app included that seems to do that for you automatically. I guess I will try it.

Thanks again.. will check back later.

Adam

Yeah...

Please follow the installation instruction in the forty-two manual.rtfd

We will be glad to gelp you in any way we can, after this. We know it works with Japanese DVDs, btw.

Just read that manual, kudasai. The *installation* section.

You will feel a sense of great personal accomplishment when you do. I promise.

-K
    Quote Quote  
  22. Kore kara windows no hito ni baka ni sehen kamoshirehen na!
    Ne, ne! Sou desu ne! ROTF...

Not Nice Not their fault, heheh.
    Sou kana. heh heh....

Sou kamoshiran kedo aitsura tte gimanpanashi chau? Yakara tokidoki koroshitakunarunende.

Translation: They are always bragging that their windows machines do things our Macs don't (due to lack of software, blah, blah, blah) and sometimes I want to kill them.

Please follow the installation instruction in the forty-two manual.rtfd

We will be glad to gelp you in any way we can, after this. We know it works with Japanese DVDs, btw.

Just read that manual, kudasai. The *installation* section.

You will feel a sense of great personal accomplishment when you do. I promise.
    KAISAN TTE BARI TENSAI YANA!!!!!!!!! Honmani arigatou na!!

Thanks... I thought I had read the instructions, but you knew right away from the description of my problem that I had not read them carefully... as short as they are, if you miss that one important line you will not be able to use the program. yappa chanto yondehen tte wakatta mitai na.

So far it seems to be working great. I am trying a DIVX conversion and the preview was freakin' awesome.

you will become the Mac DVD kamisama (god) without a doubt.

ARIGATOU GOZAIMASU!

P.S. kai replied to my cry for help within, I think, 2.5 minutes... he may have set a world record for support... wow.
    Quote Quote