• I use a thermal printer to print directly on the disc

10 1.71%
  • I use an inkjet printer to print directly on the disc

67 11.47%
Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19
FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Others more qualified can sort out why it happens, but I'm convinced labels CAN affect playback. I recently started labeling my DVDRs, and a few that played fine previously now stutter and eventually stop. These fall into two types:

1) CMC +Rs (yeah, some actually worked BEFORE labeling).

2) Any DVD burned before I installed the latest firmware for my writer.

What the hell, I'll take a stab at it. Say your DVDR works fine but is not as perfect as you think, adding a label is the straw that breaks the camels back. Or rather, before labeling, your only slightly finicky player manages to play the dodgy disk. Afterwards it just barfs.

Think I'll start using core/hub labels.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

Search Comp PM
    I have a stash of CD labeling kits. One is from Neato and the other is the famed CD Stomper Pro. I noticed they both have the stomper/push-down thingy for applying CD labels that is perfectly aligned. On the back of the Neato box, it even says:

"No damaged discs, readback errors or peeling."

The program I use to make my labels currently is from Globalstar Software and they DO NOT have a push-down thing. They only supply a circular block that you can insert into the hole in the middle of the jewel case and then you put your CD label through that block and onto the CD. It doesn't look too misaligned, the entire label is still on the CD-R and does not protrude off the edge. Does that really matter?

Search Comp PM
    Would the paper-type labels peel off the CD over time or if enough heat is applied? And then when it peels off, would the CD work perfectly again?

4. ok

so HOW do you label disks that have no original paper label on them to write on???

Search Comp PM
    There are software often titled "CD/DVD Labeling Kits" at your computer store near you. But it would be best if you searched on the net and read some reviews on the product before buying it.

6. Never had a problem, using:
    NEC ND1300 A, each firmware update up to 1.08
    Meritline Matte CD/ DVD labels
    Ritek G03, G04, Prime 1x and Prime 4x - all from Meritline too.
    Lexmark X1150 and Lexmark Z45

I used to make full color labels on all of my backed up movies (about 200+.....kids do not mix well with original discs) , but it seemed like a waste of ink, so I just do white labels with the movie title in black.

Oh, by the way, for those of you who have lexmarks, walmart has a knock-off brand of replacment cartridges for $18 each black and color. Called NuKote. Although Walmart's website only shows the black ink, they carry color too, at least the store by my house does .....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product_listing.gsp?cat=123414&path=0%3A3944%3A3951%3A3...3A123414<br />

7. im newer than a newbie, i just wanna make an input, maybe im wrong, my theory is that dvd-r's are really prone to read errors when using sticky labels than cdr's coz, dvd-r have smaller laser tracks than cdr which makes it harder for the laser to focus in case of unbalance disk caused by this label...i have no problem with the labels with my sony player though, even sometimes i accidentally stick it off center, its different story though if i use my cheap player, so probably its a player issue too.

8. sorry i only read the first page of this thread didn't noticed its 7 pages..pls disregard my above post, probably it was mentioned already....

9. There may something to this. I also have labeled movies that freeze-up, sound drops out, etc. I have been using the same brand media.

They only do this on a stand-alone, on the computer they play fine. Perhaps it is the architecture of the player(s).

I have determined that the 'errors' occur at chapter break points, so I had assumed that the problem was authoring, but the fact it plays perfect on the computer has killed that theory. Maybe it's the label. That's the only thing I haven't considered.

If you are only having problems only at the end of a movie, check the edge of the blank discs, I see lots of flaws on mine about 1/4 " in from the edge, this may be causing the problem. I try to avoid recording to the edge.

I can't wait to try some tests. Thanks for mentioning this.

10. Very helpful thread... thank you all!!! Now my question and forgive me if this has already been answered...

What if I buy the media with the printable white surface and stick one of those Brother P-Touch labels on my media... it'd be a small label with only the Title of the movie, NOT a full disk label.

Is this the safest way of labeling besides my sloppy handwriting with a permanent marker?
    --=> Quake2Player
    XP1600, 256MB, 80GB 7200rpm, 40GB 7200rpm
    Hercules Prophet Kyro II 64MB (AGP)
    Leadtek TV2000XP (PCI)
    Shuttle AK35GTR Motherboard (kt266a)

11. Originally Posted by Quake2Player
    Very helpful thread... thank you all!!! Now my question and forgive me if this has already been answered...

What if I buy the media with the printable white surface and stick one of those Brother P-Touch labels on my media... it'd be a small label with only the Title of the movie, NOT a full disk label.

Is this the safest way of labeling besides my sloppy handwriting with a permanent marker?

http://www.surething.com/ST/Product.asp?ProdCode=20006

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=2740

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/press_kits/2004/ces/fs_lightscribe.pdf

Or use no label at all on the disk and just label the DVD case - that's the safest you can get

I'd stay away from sticky labels 'cause not all DVD players can read through them

And Inkjet prints can peel or rub off due to heat...which can screw up your player bigtime.
    Though it depends on how much ink you're using or how fancy your labels are.

Really, the important thing is what's on the disk, and if it's important enough to you, don't go overboard with labels - you really don't need any on the disk itself.
    Even major studios don't use them all the time.

12. When I first started backing up my dvds, I also had a problem with the labels. I have tried all types of blank dvd brands (Memorex, TDK, GQ and K Hypermedia). Every single dvd would freeze after I applied the dvd labels, some at the beginning, but most stop playing in the middle of the movie . Then I tried Ritek G04 DVD-R and the all worked great with the labels. So I would suggest trying to use the Ritek brand. If I have to make an educated guess, I would say it has something to do with the weight of the dvd after the label is applied.

13. I have only been burning DVD's since Christmas , and I have labeled just about every single one of them with full coverage stickers. The only problems I have ever had with the discs is when I burned them incorrectly. Since I learned what to do, I haven't had a problem. I use Memorex, TDK and Imation. My question is this... do they negatively effect the long term use of the disc, or if I keep the face of the disc clean, will it be ok? Thanks

-Brian

14. Originally Posted by bszarek001
    I have only been burning DVD's since Christmas , and I have labeled just about every single one of them with full coverage stickers. The only problems I have ever had with the discs is when I burned them incorrectly. Since I learned what to do, I haven't had a problem. I use Memorex, TDK and Imation. My question is this... do they negatively effect the long term use of the disc, or if I keep the face of the disc clean, will it be ok? Thanks

-Brian
    Well, I guees it's hard to say what will happend to the labeld dvds 5 years from now. Some peopel say that the glue will stop working and the label will come of, just speculation and I doubt it.

However I used cheap crap labels for my cd a few years ago and the labels of those discs has got air bubbles today.

I have labeld dvds for over a year and use more expensive labels for those and they seems to be find today, so don't buy those cheap crap labels, because then you might run into troubel in the future.......

Search Comp PM
    If you want a good labeling system, buy a black magic marker.

16. haha.. Yeah, that does work pretty well, but I can't complain too much. I was using the Memorex labels for a while, but then I found some glossy full-face labels on ebay (200 labels for $20). They work perfectly and look nice too. Until I have a problem, I think i'll continue to use them.
    -Brian

17. Very interesting thread.

This past weekend I purchased the Fellows Neato CD/DVD Label Kit. I'm using TDK 2x (G02) DVD-R media. I applied three full color labels and had zero problems with the discs once labeled. They look much better than a Sharpie, that's for sure!

IMHO, if the label is centered properly I wouldn't think it would cause much trouble. With the kit above, it's next to impossible to not center the label correctly.

Anyway, as with most things PC based, your experience may vary.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have labeled 1000+ DVDs with the neato brand labels and an HP stomper (not even a neato one) and have never had probs (and I would have heard about it as they were for customers)

A

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, thousands of wildebbests have drank at this water hole and not be eaten by alligators...
    Hello.

20. I have noticed for no matter what kind of media I use . They play fine before labeling them but after they have problems with skipping, freezing etc. I use a sharpe marker only, since then no problems

21. Guest
    I was thinking about how some commercial dvds are labeled with a fairly heavy paint coat which is often asymetrical. It would seem that these would be more unbalanced than a slightly off-center paper label. Any thoughts?

Also, an earlier post suggested applying the label before burning. Has anyone tried this?

22. I have always been hesitant to do that, but I'm not exactly sure why. I don't think it really matters either way. Although, the sticker may alter somewhat the way the laser burns the data into the media by changing the way it reflects the light. I'm not sure, and I may be speaking out of my you know what, but I have never had a problem with the labels. Is it possible that the people that have problems with labeled dvd media are using very cheap dvd players?

-Brian

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had a problem and stopped using labels. I think the problem may be related to the extra weight of the label and individual DVD players not being able to maintain the correct speed.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TerryG
    I had a problem and stopped using labels. I think the problem may be related to the extra weight of the label and individual DVD players not being able to maintain the correct speed.
    I actually double label a disc last nite and it still played fine. 1st one was printed off center so I applied a 2nd label over top and reprinted and surprise it played fine.

I found that this works best for me

1. burn disk
    2. apply label to disk
    3. print labeled disk

25. I've been labeling my DVD-R's with Regular Photo quality matte Neato 2up labels on various media and not had any problems, when I changed my labels to a cheap full face brand all discs had playback problems and then worked fine once removed..

Thought I'd mention this as I've heard quite a few people saying they've had no problems with these particular neato labels..

26. I don't label all my disks but I have several of them and only 1 messed up because I didn't get the label centered.... my fault. All the others has never gave any play or read problems. <<<knock on wood>>>
    Also, an earlier post suggested applying the label before burning. Has anyone tried this?
    I did this a few times and without any problems.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What if I buy the media with the printable white surface and stick one of those Brother P-Touch labels on my media... it'd be a small label with only the Title of the movie, NOT a full disk label
    When I got my LG 2x Burner last year, I started putting Stomper labels on my Ritek 1x and had no issues playing these discs on my 5 year old Pioneer DV-525. However, they would always stutter and stop on my newer (but cheaper) Electrohome 8181. I've since changed to labeling with a Brother PT-85 (9mm tapes) and have had no problems with either machine since.

You take your chances with DVD labels but the thermal tape solution is a less expensive and effective solution.

28. Well up until today, I thought labeling had no effects on the dvd-r disc. I have many dvd+r and dvd-r with labels and all of them plays fine on my standalone dvd player (80+ discs with labels on Pioneer 260, this baby plays everything!). I've used TDK, Memorex, Verbatim etc.

Just couple days ago, I put labels on 8 dvd-r disc (Prino discs, I know they sux) and now every one of them either skip, pixelate or don't play at all. But of those 8 discs played perfectly before I put the label.

Only speaking from my personal experience, labeling your disc can screw up the disc, at least on cheap crappy media (Princo).

So until I can get Epson R300 or R200 printer, Sharpie will do for now

29. It must definately have something to do with the media then.. I have been using Imation, TDK and Memorex +/- r with labels and they have all worked fine with no problem.

-Brian

30. Yesterday, I carefully removed all the labels from the 8 princo discs that had problems after I put the labels on and guess what? They all play fine now Definitely no labeling on princo media but memerex, TDK, verbatim all works fine