• I use an inkjet printer to print directly on the disc

67 11.47%
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 15 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Again

UNINFORMED responses. Not trying to be confrontational, but would the one yelling DONT STICK LABELS ON - US PRO"S KNOW post a REAL link to any body of knowledge indicating this other than

"there was this guy name Barry the CD man JOnes on the whippo board..."

I am glad you don't use Paper labels, I own stock in Sharpie !

How about a real source ...Like when I contacted Ritek to ask them about printable DVD+R's

I have a good urban legend for you but seems to work for me....The use of discs in a DVD player with paper labels causes the labels to adhere better because the laser seals them on

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    jsnkc,

I have 175 DVD's with paper labels that play on my player but not on my friends. I need to make copies of all of them.

I'll bring them over this weekend.
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

3. Any links to the Casio in the states?

Never mind I found it here for around $90.
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?sku=C104-4000%20P...SRCCODE=NEXTAG

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD-R manufacturers all warn you to not labels discs at some time. Go read up at their sites.

If you're still stubborn, then feel free to find DVD-R labels. CD-R labels are too heavy and too thick. All labels can be affected by heat on the glue, so buy good ones. I suggest the labels from americal.com, and nowhere else. Never get universal CD/DVD labels, also usually too heavy.

Read this:
    http://americal.com/cgi-bin/smart_cart2.cgi?category=no-wobble%20label&submit_request_...id=125200_5667

Bad experiences here and with many I know using labels. Just don't do it. Buy coated discs to start with. Use a felt marker. If you really need a pretty item, then make a nice case. It's cheaper to replace a case than to fiddle with reburning a DVD.

My suggestions.

5. In case nobody has brought this up yet...

I use CORE labels. They only occupy the clear plastic space on the top of the disc, and do not actually sit on any reflective surface. Bastards to print on (alignment, etc.), but very clean and still look good, if that's important to you.

6. I'm happy to find out that I am not the only one with this problem. This problem already cost me a lot of money. I already tried every variable before noticing that the problem did not exist on the copies without the label. Did some testing, first watched the copies without the label. The movie played wonderful on my DVD Player (Philips 622). Then I applied the label and the copy stuttered / freezed at the end of the movie. This effect was reproducable!!!

Playing the labelled copies in a 'cold' DVD Player reduced the problems. After a few minutes the problem got bigger.

De more the movie was compressed (Pinnacle Instant Copy/DVD2one) the bigger the problem on a labelled disk.

Playing the labelled disks on a very old Sony DVD player did not give the problem.

Variables that seem to influence the problems:
    sensitivity of the laser of the stand alone player, bitrate of the movie, type of label, media and amount of data on the disk

The easiest solution to solve the problem for me was not to label my disks anymore. All my copies are excellent now!!!!!!!!!

7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    All of those posts I have listed come from the official DVD List that has members from professional DVD Authoring and production people from around the world, as well as people and companies who actually developed the original DVD spec and who produce DVD media as well as DVD burners and players. I think you should find them a lot more credible than a bunck of people on this messageboard who need to steal software so they can illegaly copy movies and TV shows. I find it so funny reading some of the messages on these boards, and the things that people are trying to do.

Also they are not Unconfirmed responses, sign up for the DVD list then do a search and then you can e-mail all these people directly and ask them. Now that I think of it, don't join, the professional industry doesn't need people like you on that list.

Search Comp PM
    If yours is the attitude and demeanor of the "supposed professionals", then thank you, I will pass. The official DVD list ? Is that like the He-man woman haters club ?

I was not looking for testimonials. I was looking for hard facts from:
    Media Manufacturers
    Hardware Vendors
    Technical support groups

Trust me when I say, the whole thread has me thinking. I am not closed minded to the issue and have even priced the Epson Stylus 960 which writes directly to Printable media. And being an 'open minded' professional, I am first investigating whether or not ink has any effect on the media.

Sincerely,
    People Like me
    Arc Technologies Video Memories

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The posts I gave you were from Media Manufacturers,
    Hardware Vendors and Technical support groups. Most of them came from people who either Duplicate DVD's, Author DVD's, or produce DVD's in some way. And even one from Pioneer, the people who actually MADE the first DVD Burner!

Search Comp PM
    Well thats what I wanted to know ~!!!!

Now find out about INK jets fo me because the 690 is looking better and better. Ritek has already written to me about their DVD+R Printable. Now I need test data on their use in machine(set top)

See, people can work together.

11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    We have 3 Signature Pro printers on the Composer plus robotics, they work great for inkjet printing on DVD-R's, we usually stick to Maxell, and Verbatim white inkjet printable DVD's. We also have a Rimage Prism Plus thermal printer wich also prints very well on DVD's and Cd's, the only problem is that the DVD media designed for thermal printing reflects anything you print on the disc kind of giving it a mirrored effect wich is very hard to read on small text.

12. any idea on something to assist in creating a dvd case cover?

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For DVD case work, use Photoshop, and make you case 200 dpi (or 300 dpi) and size of about 7.1 x 10.7. Use a ruler on your case for exact dimensions, as each brand is slightly different in specs.

Jsnkc knows what he's talking about. DVD labels are not supported nor used in any professional manner. That DVD industry list is a great source of info. If the labels were so great, companies would be using paper instead of going to great lengths and expense to thermal print (and other techniques) on discs. But it doesn't work, and so we don't.

And I can agree with him on other aspects too: this board is crawling with too many people that only want to believe their own uninformed opinions rather than knowing true facts. If you don't like the answer, don't ask (or read) the question. And I would concur on his statement: "Now that I think of it, don't join, the professional industry doesn't need people like you on that list." We don't get paid those nice salaries to listen to kids that just want to copy discs and not pay for anything, then whine about labels breaking their toys. (I subscribe to several too.) Teaching newbies is one of my hobbies, as I work with this stuff professionally with equipment otherwise unavailable to consumers (although I have a more encumbering media position with other media aspects as well). But I get can easily aggitated when an obvious teenager has a run at the mouth. Listen to us. We're trying to help you, but you have to be quiet long enough to listen. You should feel lucky there are pros here crawling these boards (though some of us keep identities to ourselves as to not piss off the company we work for ).

I personally tried to be stubborn several times too. I thought: If all these hobbiest have success, maybe I can too. Well, I didn't: the labels ruined my discs too. So I had to learn the hard way, and worse yet, I already knew better. The labels don't work. Just don't let your stubbornness get the better of you. We all fall for it sometimes.

For you that use labels. Good job at getting good luck. But think of labeling discs as speeding. It will only work for so long, and eventually you're going to get stuck with a mess to deal with.
    I'm not online anymore. Ask BALDRICK, LORDSMURF or SATSTORM for help. PM's are ignored.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by txpharoah
    If you don't like the answer, don't ask (or read) the question. And I would concur on his statement: "Now that I think of it, don't join, the professional industry doesn't need people like you on that list." You should feel lucky there are pros here crawling these boards (though some of us keep identities to ourselves as to not piss off the company we work for ).
    First, thanks to anyone actually trying to help people.

Having said that, I personally can do without the attitude.
    I can't speak for anyone else, but if someone is going to have an "Im the grownup, listen to me because I'm right and you're wrong" attitude, I'd rather just keep making my "mistakes" as you put it.

I caould be wrong, but it seems to me that you guys are taking these posts as some kind of personal attack or something.

I do believe many people have problems with labels. I've been burning DVD's for a good year and a half, and no problems so far.
    Also, look at the poll at the top of the page - the majority of people who've voted report no problems. The interesting thing is it's usually the complainers who make the most noise, but these are people saying they haven't had a problem!

Now, I'm sure there are a lot of people who've had problems with labels. So they should stop using them. I myself plan to get a printer that can print directly on the disc, not because of problems with labels, but because I expect it to look more professional.

All I'm asking is, if you want to help, please loose the attitude. That is not helpful!
    Life has a bad attitude!

15. I am looking at buying an Epson Photo 900, but am having trouble finding printable media. Compatiblity is also a concern for my set top players (panasonic a120 and pioneer 343). Any suggestions?
    If the Apocalypse comes...Beep Me - Buffy

16. BINGO
    !!I TOO HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM!!
    I think its safe to say that the problem is the disks overheating in the dvd player along with the fitted labels..
    for example i played a film all the way through with a label fitted and towards the end it started to pause,skip and jump,i ejected the disk and found that it was exceedingly hot,i checked the disk for physical damage and found nothing,i also let the disk cool down before played it again.i then skipped to the same section where it started to play up and found that it played the rest of the film ok with no probs.........

Do you think that the labels do hold in the heat slightly more than the retail printed ones???........as you know the retail dvd's are reflected by using silver type foil thus bouncing off the heat during playback,the blank dvd's are of the dye type and i think that the extra heat build-up might cause the ink to melt or soften?????

I have played two films un-labelled and have no probs with them even when my 4 year old son played them two-times in a row......
    MATT_THE_MOUSE®™

17. I just labeled 2 DVD's. I'll keep this post in mind in case there is any issue. I use Sharpies sometimes too, but now it looks like that might be out as well.

"It's gettin' to be so a guy can't have no fun no more!"

18. Originally Posted by thxkid
    I have used over 200 labels on DVD+R' without a prob, I do use the super thin Merritline glossy lables only, also Everyone that I have heard that has had problem has been on the -R burned disc, which in my opinion based on what I have read is not as realiable as the +R format, just look on this forum for proof, see massvive more problems with pioneer and Sony drives than ove the HP's and the labels that would not work all came from pioneer drives.
    I have noticed that too, I guess this proves +R/RW's are better

19. OK, this is what happens at my end:
    The combination of Mame-Mitsui discs and a fairly thick label always give probs when disc is played for approx. 1 hour. The disc gets rather hot because of the thick paperlabel and stutters or refuses to play on my JVC-HR-XV2E. (Plays fine on a really cheap Daytek 707 though.) When the discs is cooled down, I can play the concerning and following chapters again. When I use cheaper labels, which are thinner, the probs are not so apparent. Discs without a paper label play every time. So for me it's definately a label/heat prob. and thick paper labels are a BIG no-no.
    Now I'm going to try a real flimsy label printed on a colour laserprinter. Keep you posted....
    There are no stupid questions, only stupid people.

20. I made a wedding DVD for a freind and use a sticky label, a week later he said the the player began to produce a burning smell and then smoke a little ( I think he was being a little dramatic) but he said that the label was loosened and the disc was hot.

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A friend of mine claims a disc I made for him with a printed label began to skip after about 90 minutes. The whole player started to wobble, then shake violently.

His AV cabinet began to move around the room, knocking into other objects and causing them to fall over and break. The disc was finally thrown free of the player and struck his wife in the neck, closing off her windpipe. He had to run outside and cut the power to the whole house. His living room was a shambles and his wife was rushed to the hospital.

He has requested that I use thinner labels in the future.
    Life has a bad attitude!

22. Originally Posted by thayne
    Originally Posted by thxkid
    I have used over 200 labels on DVD+R' without a prob, I do use the super thin Merritline glossy lables only, also Everyone that I have heard that has had problem has been on the -R burned disc, which in my opinion based on what I have read is not as realiable as the +R format, just look on this forum for proof, see massvive more problems with pioneer and Sony drives than ove the HP's and the labels that would not work all came from pioneer drives.
    I have noticed that too, I guess this proves +R/RW's are better
    I have most of my DVD+Rs marked with a thick paint marker.

Guess what, no skipping ,no balance problems, no nothing.

And I`ve tried them in dozens of players

23. I've used the cd stomper labels for over a year, havent had a single problem.

Im finding that dvd backup isnt an exact science and that what works for some one wont work for others. there are too many variables: types of media, labels or no labels, standalone players, authoring apps, etc. The thing of it is, find what works best for you. If your player doesnt work with labels dont put em on.

The forum is getting to be a place of opinion instead of knowlege; -r is better than +r or dvd2one is better than ic7. Find what works for you and stick with it. if you run into a problem, consult the forum.

24. Originally Posted by leebo
    A friend of mine claims a disc I made for him with a printed label began to skip after about 90 minutes. The whole player started to wobble, then shake violently.

His AV cabinet began to move around the room, knocking into other objects and causing them to fall over and break. The disc was finally thrown free of the player and struck his wife in the neck, closing off her windpipe. He had to run outside and cut the power to the whole house. His living room was a shambles and his wife was rushed to the hospital.

Wow - I had no idea....

Well, I've used labels for some time now, but I have kids - I simply can't risk it anymore....

Inkjets - here I come!

P.S. Is there any way to SAFELY dispose of these DVD's with labels? If they get into the wrong hands - look at the damage that could be done!

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by KetchSumAir

P.S. Is there any way to SAFELY dispose of these DVD's with labels? If they get into the wrong hands - look at the damage that could be done!
    What my friend did was to call the local HASMAT. They sent in a robotic device to retreive the disc. It was then flown to New Jersey along with some nuclear waste.
    Life has a bad attitude!

26. A question to all of you who have applied labels and now have problems.

Can the dvd-rom drive in your pc read the discs ok?

27. i havent had any problems with any player including dvd-roms

Search Comp PM
    It is quite clear that the variable here is the playback device! Some DVD players can handle the extra weight of the labels and some cannot (thin labels included). There is a reason that DVD manufacturers say "DON"T USE LABELS". It is risky!!! And results are varied.

There are some differences between CD-R and DVD-R.

CD-Rs have the data surface on the top of the CD. This is why it is not always a great idea to use sharpies on CD-R. The ink can bleed through to the data layer and render the data useless. This is very rare though. If the CD-R has a white glossy surface, 99% of the time you are OK with a sharpie. A poster recommended a permanent CD pen that does not use harsh solvents. This is a good idea. CD printers are also a good idea if you are willing to spend the extra money.

Labels for CD-R is never a good idea. The reason is that when a label is removed, it can often peel away the data portion of the CD-R. Remember, the data layer of a CD-R literally sits right on top of the CD-R. Also, studies have shown that the adhesive in many labels can break down (chemically Change) over time and eat away at the data layer on a CD-R.

DVDs are manufactured quite differently than CD-Rs. DVDs have the data layer sandwiched in between two plastic discs, so there is no way that the data layer can be scratched or be compromised by a sharpie. By the same token, a peeling label can always be safely removed from a DVD without worry about peeling away the data layer.

Review:

If you are using a sharpie to label your DVDs, there is no risk to your data or playback device. The ink in sharpies cannot penetrate the plastic layer.

If you are using a sharpie to label CD-R, there is slight risk, but almost none with good quality CD-R.

If you are using Labels with DVDs, you are risking the data on the disc as well as the playback device. All DVDs are made to be weight specific. This is for a reason! DVD players are made to play DVDs that are within spec. A DVD that has a label on it, even if it's a thin one, is NOT in spec, PERIOD!!!

Using Labels with CD-R is risky for the playback device, especially for slot loading players where the added thickness can cause a CD to get jammed in the player. It's also a risk when peeling off a label because of the data may get peeled off as well. But there is one small advantage to using labels with CD-R. This is only a short-term advantage though. Since the data layer is located on the top of the CD. The label can actually protect the data, especially if the user is quite rough on the discs. Sometimes all it takes is one scratch to the top of a CD, not the bottom, to make it skip. Even though this is a short-term advantage, it is out-weighed by the risks.

Conclusion:

Labels = Looks OK at a higher monetary cost, but with lots of risk.
    Sharpie = Not always pretty, but cheap with almost no risk.
    CD Pens = Same as above; Maybe $1.00 more per pen, NO RISK.
    Printers = Professional looking, No risk, Highest monetary cost.

29. I'm sold. Labeling DVD's is sinful and I should stop. I too have problems with labeled DVD's in my Pioneer standalone and I was planning on buying a less sensitive DVD player. That's not too big a deal, however, I don't like the fact that my DVD's are less globally compatible due to my labels. The budget-friendly thermal printing looks a little cheesy to me. It's hard to go from full-color laser printed labels to grayscale. How are the results with the Epson inkjet? Can somebody please post a scan of their results? TIA.

30. Originally Posted by leebo

Thanx Leebo, I needed that!