• I use a thermal printer to print directly on the disc

10 1.71%
  • I use an inkjet printer to print directly on the disc

67 11.47%
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 19
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Writing with a marker in the clear (not reflective) area at the hub is better than using a sticker, although there's not much room to write. Write only in the area inside a 44-mm diameter. Writing anywhere else on the disc is risky, since the ink could possibly eat away the protective coating and damage the data layer underneath.
    I have been using just a regular sharpie on every cd-r and dvd-r i have ever had, going hell bent all over the disc. maybe I'm just lucky but i have NEVER had a problem in ANY player.

As far as the eating away. i know that on REALLY cheap media this can happen. i bought a stack of 6 million for like 20 cents once and they just fell apart. i still dont know if it was because of the ink or not.

anyway, as far as it has gone on cd-r's (3 or 4 years now) and dvd-r's (about 6 months), i haven't had a problem. i hope it stays that way.
    anyone else in the same boat?

almost forgot--
    i would really like to get a printer that will print directly to the disc but funding is more important in other areas.

Search Comp PM
    Once again, I'm gonna reccomend the ONE-COLOR Printer from CASIO for $89.00 called the CW-50.. It thermally prints on the DVD or CD permanently.. You get 40 lables for $6.00ribbon- or 20 with one above one below the hole (It only prints a title bar, not the whole surface, and you gotta rotate the CD to print on manually) and It has 6 colors to choose from

3. solve your labeling problems!: USE A SHARPIE

4. I tried a number of different labels that all caused problems.

I finally tried Compulabel's Matte Clear "no-wobble" labels and they work like a charm when printed with my inkjet printer and applied with a CD Stomper...

I highly recommend these labels...

5. Don't just use any type marker.

A little tidbit of info coming out of Dr Bob's Digital Imaging Course.

If you plan on keeping stored information on a CD for an extended period of time (1 plus yrs) don't mark on it with a "Sharpie" pin or any pen that is alcohol base. The Sharpie ink will bleed through the CD and won't allow stored information to be called up.

There are special non-toxic, non-alcohol based pins available for labeling CDs. One is the "Maxwell Disc Writer" found at most office supply stores. Downside is the cost of $3-$4.

Search Comp PM
    Not to be a spoil sport, but the whole premise of this Thread was based on faulty logic. It assumed that a user or users who had labels on their disks and had errors could attribute those errors to labeled DVD's because they tried unlabeled and they worked.

I have recently had a rash of those blocki errors and stops, ALL on unlabeled disks, ones I have not gotten around to labeling yet. So should I assume that not labeling causes errors since all PURCHASED movies have labels ? NO.

You have to look to all area's , different media batches, software changes, etc.

The labels if properly applied (no sticky edges to catch or off center to snag the hub, have NO affect whatsoever. I have never seen one bleed, nor have they ever been so heavy as to cause problems.

SEEK the truth and you will find.

7. arcorob,

While your logic makes sense, there is enough emperical data out there in other forums to easily substantiate the placement of blame on labels for many media/player combos.

Search Comp PM
    I hear what you are saying but then would you say my case
    210 VCD/ DVD's with labels working perfectly
    8 UNLABELED DVD's with Blocks

Is an anamoly ? And in addition, the 8 unlabeled work fine in a mintek .so I basically have 218, 210 labled, 8 unlabled that work fine.

Maybe its those damn DVD-R media guys (JUST POKING THE LION)

By the way, for clarification

Media for VCD's - approx 175 burned
    All Diamond Media from Ebay except for 20 Maxell

Media for DVD'+R (43 burned)
    All Ritek Purple bottoms purchased on EBAY

With the recent spate of bad media from several LARGE sources particulaly what I saw on the DVD-R that people were unhappy with, perhaps there are some things working against us....

9. arcorob, I have created a DVD and played it with no label, played perfectly all the way through. I then labelled it and played it again, I now had stuttering playback towards the end of the disc. This was enough to prove to me that the label was the cause of the bad playback and not the disc itself. This is something that I mentioned in the very first post of this thread.

10. As far as Im conserned, its a balance problem. No matter how accurate you'd like to think you could do it, even with a stomper you never get 100% perfect stamping. Which is also why many experts who master disks also say the exact same thing in regards to labeling Disks with stickers.

Search Comp PM
    Hmmm...You have have me thinking to much now...I was pricing CD printer today , about 370....But it is UNCLEAR about DVD printable media. I called them. They wont say it cant be SHINEY silver and must be white, but then again they wont commit .If a sharpie will cause bleed , how about a printer ?

So how do we get around this issue ? COuld it be the label type ? I am not having trouble with mine BUT who knows what will happen

12. Full coverage color printing on CD's with pre-printed labels... I wonder how much one of those would run....
    We will either find a way or make one - Hannibal

Search Comp PM
    Here is the printer
    http://www.ezcdprint.com/Products/EZCDPrinter.html

I would buy it but not to find out it cannot work on PLAIN DVD+R's.

I switch my Riteks for no man...LOL

14. Who knows? I've labeled about 400 DVDs so far without any issues at all.

15. I have a theory that I is not just as simple as 'adding a label will make a faulty disk'. Heres my 2 penneth (ok I'm in the UK)
    I have Datasafe disks (supposedly good disks and almost every disk I have labelled pixellates or freezes after about 1 hour into the (full) disk.

My Pioneer player plays further without problems but still eventually goes belly up. Friends (cheaper players) get errors or don't play at all. I then bought some Ritek & Verbs. No problems with these even when labelled so I assumed Datasafe=crap disks. In a flash of wanton abandon I got a Datasafe disk that was labelled & pixellates and carefully removed the label. The disk now plays perfectly!

All that I can deduce is this:
    1. Depending on the player depends on how good it can track a disk whilst playing so some players may be fine others go belly up far easier.

2. Better quality disks have higher reflectivity and less production errors so a player can more easily compensate for errors caused by 'disk wobble'.

All I can add is, if you have disks that you are happy with don't label them. If you want to label then be prepared for them either not working properly or not working on other players.

Regards,

Chris.

16. Originally Posted by pooh-bear

All I can add is, if you have disks that you are happy with don't label them. If you want to label then be prepared for them either not working properly or not working on other players.
    Or, try the no-wobble Compulabels. They are still working great for me, when no others were....

17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you use these label printer like the 960 and the EZCD printer, does it need the printable DVD-R's or can us just say use the regular DVD-r like Ritek or Samsung BeAll...

18. I use a CD/DVD printer (TDK) . Labels caused problems in the LG DVD, so I had to stops using sitcky labels (however the Kiss DVD plays the same DVDs flawless, with labels or not.)

19. ooh-bear

Oh so you have had problems with labeling datasafe dvds to. I have had exact the same problems as you describe with these dvds(but about 50% of them seems to work). Now I'm workin witn NEO Premium(ritek) dvds and they seems to work just find(so far). So I thought that datasafe dvds don't like labels at all!

I have labeld alot of dvds and it have been a mixed resultat so far. My Sony standalone player plays every dvd no matter what. Some of my datasafe dvds won't play correct,as I write above, in LG,Pioneer and Samsung players if I use full face labels. How ever if I use hub labels they seems to play fine. Also NEO Premium discs seems to play fine(so far) in every player no matter what I label them whit.

So as you can read above there is many different factors that can effect the playback of your labeld dvds.

20. Craig Tucker:

I read that you have had problems when you tried label your dvds. Just curious about what media you where using?

21. Originally Posted by Star Warrior
    Originally Posted by Dcent
    FINALLY !!!.... someone has the same problem has I !!!!
    This is important!!!.. I'v burned more than 40 discs and label them all and could not understand why the movies failed in same point... this hapends with ALL media discs with several autoring programs; I realy tested EVERYTHING diferent movies, diferent players, diferent editing programs and discovered that the ONLY real problem is the labels !!

DON'T LABEL YOUR MOVIES !!!!
    "this hapends with ALL media discs"

If by all media discs you are includeing VCDs too,then you are wrong.I've many VCDs in my collection and i put white labels on all of them and they've always worked fine.
    .. no, I was talking about several media BRANDS !

Sorry about my bad English .

I also do not have any problems with CDR's labels, only with DVD+-r !!

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have carried out an experiment. All discs which I burned were fitted with labels (matt finish) and after about 1 hr the playback went tits up and the movie stopped. At first i thought it was by burning procedure. After reading these posts on this subject i removed all labels from the 'faulty' discs and they played. One disc i burned about 1 month ago was fitted with a glossy label and works fine. I have now fitted the glossy labels to the discs and they play fine. The labels are from an expressit kit. I am using dvd decrypter to rip, dvd2one to compress and the latest nero using the udf/ifo method to burn the discs are discrite brand (80p each!) but show princo on dvd decrypter. Any thoughts?

23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    IT has nothing to do with the quality of the DVD-R that you use, putting a paper label on a DVD is a lot diffrent than putting it on a CD, since a DVD can hold a lot more information than a CD the laser has to be a lot smaller, and therefore if the disc wobbles even slightly it can cause playabck problems. Another issue is that the lasers found in DVD players run a lot hotter than those in CD players, causing the adhesive glue to start to come off and even if you don't have problems now, the more you play the disc, and the longer the label is on it, the more problems you will find. The best way yo label a DVD disc is to use either an inkjet printer than prints directly on the disc such as the Primera Signature Pro, or to use a thermal printer such as the Rimage Prism, or the cheaper alternative would be the Casio CW-50 thermal printer wich is around $100. For those of you wh say "I don't have any problems" I can't wait till you try to play that disc back in a year or 2 and have the label come off in your DVD player, ruining not only your disc, but the player as well.

24. "For those of you wh say "I don't have any problems" I can't wait till you try to play that disc back in a year or 2 and have the label come off in your DVD player, ruining not only your disc, but the player as well."

Maybe your right jsnkc, but there is no proof that this will happen and I doubt it will. I have read alot about labels on many different sites, but I have actually never heard or seen anyone that got this problem after a year or so.

Search Comp PM
    I have NOT had issues with or without labels. Any issues I have had were software related (ie when IC 7 decided it didn't like the end of movies)

They all have labels, 2Up, paper, non-glossy and they work in a multitude of machines.

How can this thread continue with the same premise ? If a person says I tried 10 with labels and 10 without, and the 10 with did not work, etc. then how does that build the premise that labeling DVD's is bad ? Maybe your labels are bad(off center). Maybe you are applying too much pressure when apply as the stomper allow you to warp a disk slightly and the disk stays that way when labled.

I am not saying it is impossible, but try this. The person who says weighed 30 disk (store bought) and all weighed the same.

DUH. I weighed thirty disks I labeled and they all weighed the same.

Lets do some real testing......

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You guys should try to join the official DVD list, you will find tons of post of people who have had problems with Labels coming off an them ruining not only their disc, but their player as well. I also have a lot of CD's and DVD's that I labeled 1-2 years ago and already the labels are starting to come off on them. I would never use paper labels for anything again, and I would never have any of my clients use them, and I still will not put any DVD or CD in any players of mine that have paper labels on them. People here just seem to be really naive to reality, and are just looking for the cheapest way to do things and steal whatever software they want to. I know that in time all of you will find out what I and many other DVD professionals have found out, so feel free to stick whatever you want on your DVD's, you have been warned. Also, "REAL" testing as you say has been done, many times, and the reports are always the same, Don't use Paper Labels on DVD's you're just asking for trouble.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jsnkc
    "I can't wait till you try to play that disc back in a year or 2 and have the label come off in your DVD player, ruining not only your disc, but the player as well."

"People here just seem to be really naive to reality, and are just looking for the cheapest way to do things and steal whatever software they want to. I know that in time all of you will find out what I and many other DVD professionals have found out, so feel free to stick whatever you want on your DVD's, you have been warned."
    And hopefully they'll contract SARS too!

You sound like quite the vindictive chap.
    Do you really derive pleasure from other people's woes?

The problem I see with this thread, at least for those hoping to find a solution, is that most posters seem to be stating their theorys as fact.
    There must be some scientific method you guys can use to get to the bottom of this (I don't have this issue - yet).
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!

28. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not trying to be vindictive, I have just been doing CD and DVD duplication for a number of years now and I have probably seen more DVD's and Cd's that all of you combined. It is a known fact in the industry that you should not use paper labels on DVD's, I'm trying to convey my message to everyone on this board, but nobody seems to want to listen, and that is why I say that I warned all of you, and you can stick whatever it is that you want on your DVD's, just don't bring them to my company for duplication.

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Just a few examples:

Q. Will paper DVD labels hurt my recorded DVDs?
    A. For many years, CD-R manufacturers recommended that users NOT apply paper labels to their newly recorded CDs. They felt that the labels' adhesive would harm the sensitive silver reflector by tarnishing it, or that off-center labels might cause the disc to wobble, making it unreadable.

These factors are much more important today for DVD recordable discs than they ever were for CD-Rs. On DVD-Rs, the tiny data bubbles that encode the video and audio data are 8-times closer together than on CDs. Even the slightest degradation of the edges of the bubbles due to UV or heat exposure can ruin a DVD-R. Also, even the slightest wobbling during playback can make video tracks unreadable, or produce "jitters" or blinking, horizontal lines, and so on. In some cases, the discs can become completely unplayable.

__________________________________________________ _________

We have had this discussion many times before on this list. Proceed at your
    > own peril putting stickers on DVD's. Sure it may work for you but sooner or
    > later you will get nailed by it. Guaranteed.
    >
    > Regards to the list,
    > Roger Talkov
    >
    > DVDLabs
    > The Premiere DVD Services Facility
    __________________________________________________ __________

BarryC,

To be 100% safe you are correct in saying it is best not to use labels.
    We have seen labels that use inferior adhesive and they start to peel
    off, especially when exposed to heat. We have also seen label stock
    that is so thin that it can shrink and buckle on the surface of the CD.
    Both of these problems can potentially destroy you CD/DVD or the player.

John Norman
    Max Optical

__________________________________________________ ___________

Bill,

I've found that placing any kind of adhesive label onto a DVD or CD is a
    bad idea. CD even more so because of their higher spin rate in modern
    drives. But the biggest concern is with the label tearing into the drive
    mechanism.

There was even a consumer story I recently read where a DVD purchased at
    Walmart had an adhesive label from inside the case fall onto the
    *underside* of the disc -
    wrecking the disc.

I'd recommend telling your clients to use printable surface disks (such
    as Verbatim's # 94058). If they don't have a CD printer, these discs can
    be gently written on with a felt tipped pen.

BarryC

> I've done hundreds of DVD's for customers and always assumed the paper
    labels
    > > were not a problem....well, I can now say...THEY ARE!!! I did three
    DVD's for
    > > a bat Mitzvah and all was well....labels were applied, and the customer
    said
    > > all three discs skipped and stuttered...unable to repeat the problem, i
    > > visited his home and RCA DVD player....all three discs skipped....the
    labels
    > > were properly applied,flat and centered well. I soaked the disks in warm
    > > water and carefully remover the labels (not easy)...and all three discs
    > > played perfectly....so, I will not now put labels on until i hear more
    from
    > > manufacturers. Take it for what it's worth,,,
    > > David johnson
    > > Tapetodisc.com

You're right. I used a sticky label once. Never again. The disc played
    fine until we put the label on. After labeling it, the same Panasonic
    player had all sorts of trouble playing it. It did play back fine in a our
    Sony player though. But I wouldn't take a chance.

Wayne

Wayne Abler
    Educational Technologies
    University of Wisconsin-La Crosse

Peter,

As far as the Pioneer media is concerned, we do not recommend you paste any
    paper labels on them (as printed on the Pioneer DVD-R media's jewel case) . The
    media is created following the specifications created by the DVD Forum (DVD-R is
    1.2mm in thickness). The label might cause the following to occur in some
    DVD-Video players; Pick-up mechanism might jam because of the new thickness of
    the disc. The new weight of the disc might exceed the servo motor's limit,
    causing the disc to not play. Although it might play back on some DVD video
    players, the paste underneath the label might shift, creating and unbalanced
    disc.

For these and other reasons we highly recommend that you DO NOT paste paper
    labels on Pioneer DVD-R media.

Regards,

Elio Camey
    AE
    Product Development & Technical Support Division
    Pioneer New Media Technologies, Inc.

I can find Hundreds of more posts just like these. Like I said, I warned ya.

30. For the people asking about printing on DVDs with Epson printers, make sure that you only use INKJET PRINTABLE media! Do not use regular and thermal printable media. The ink will not dry on the surface and will just wipe off.

The Stylus Photo 960 with CD printing capabilities is very cool. I also hear that there is a new Stylus Photo 900 coming out in May that prints on CD/DVDs for $199 US. I'm kinda tempted. But just spent $300 on my pioneer and media. Think I'll wait.

No Clue