• I use an inkjet printer to print directly on the disc

67 11.47%
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 19
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have labled most of my dvd's and they play fine. Using Neato labels and the applicator. This does make me leary of labeling though. I have actually seen more problems with labels on cd-r's, especially with recorded music when played in a Ford Factory Radio with a disc player. The added width of the lable, according to Ford, Can jam the player. Since I work on these vehicles for a living, I can say that I do see this alot and a cd-r that I may burn and want to play in my car, will never get a label, However, Knock ON WOOD, I have not encountered any dvd problems on my player.

2. Originally Posted by Espen
    Let's make a poll a see what result it gives. It would be intresting to see how many people having problems with there labels!
    Good idea, poll added

3. I am having playback problems I DID NOT have 1 month ago with label DVD`s.

I always make sure my burns are ok by testing the playback of the last chapter after they have been label. All testing was Ok but now, 1 month old DVD`s all have problems at the end of the disk or just wont play at all.

Standalone player is JVC and the media was Princo 1x. I am strongly suspecting the problem is cause by the media in combinaiton of my sdandalone player.

The discs still play fines in my DVD-ROM drive so has soom has I received my Ritek G03 order, i am transfering all my backups to those.

4. My experience, FWIW.
    Name brand DVD-R, labeled with Neato device & Neato labels printing full coverage.
    Several played back perfectly on my RCA player.
    Tried playing back "Bourne Identity" and it started to hang and pixilate at 50:00 in, which is about half way through the movie. Put it in my Apex and it was fine (not tested, but I think the Apex would play a pizza bagel if I could fit it in there, it's played everything else.)
    The following day I tried in the RCA again, same problem, same place.
    I removed the label and tried the RCA a 3rd time and it plays with no problem.
    It seems some players can handle labeled discs, but others have trouble whith them regardless of media quality.
    Draw your own conclusions, but I'm not going to label anymore.

5. I have no problem with GQ disks and Memorex labels

6. Cleaning the DVD-R solve the problems on some disk but not all.

It looks like my DVD player is very sensitive. I am bringing some of the problem DVD-R to some friends at work tomorrow. They will test them on a Panasonic RV-32 and a Sony standalone player.

I will post results in a few days

7. I always aplied them by hand, but with perfect simetry
    Sorry but that's impossible, nothing applied by hand will be perfectly symmetrical, I'm sure our resident Mech Eng would agree with that?

8. All my label DVD-R that had problems in my JVC player worked well in the Panasonic RV-32 player and the 5 disc sony player. Those 2 players are advertised has DVD-R complatible while my JVC player is not.

My JVC player do read DVD-R but seems to be a lot more sensitive.

9. I tried labels, dvd pauses toward the end. I don't label any longer. No problems

Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    This is my first post, but I have been lurking for a few months now. Way back when I was making cd-roms for my car player I ran into the same problem. Disks would play without labels, put a label on and they were toast. I noticed two things about the labels/CD's that didnt work.

1. The edges on the outside sometimes got a little chewed up, only slightly, maybe a millimeter or two at most, but enough to notice. Might have been the transport mechanism, however.

2. Gloss labels SEEMED to play more often than flat finish.

I havent had any problems with labels yet, but this topic has made me hesitate on it.

Now for a stupid question....Has anyone tried labelling, THEN burning a DVD-R?

Just my two cents....please dont flame, Im not wearing my asbestos shorts today.

11. I haven't had any problems with labels so far, but today when I tried one of my labeled dvds in a LG player, it start to freeze and had some playback problem in the last chapter. I took out the dvd and tried to clean it and to my suprise the dvd played fine afterwards. The odd thing is that I just burnt this disk a few days ago so there shouldn't been any dirt on the dvd. I hope this playback problem have nothing to do with the label, but it may have!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Erica
    Why not just use a thermal printer like I do?

It prints directly onto my DVDs and its great with no problems. Recieved mine the day after ordering online too!

90 bucks and worth every penny!

check here:

http://store.yahoo.com/digitally-unique/cw50.html
    How well does the printer work? Does it only print single colors? or full color?

13. I am also very interested in that thermal printer. If someonen could upload a pic of a label created w/ a thermal printer that'd be great! I was almost ready to order an inkjet, but if i can get away w/ a thermal, i'll be very happy!

14. I had this problem. One DVD-R that I labeled would not play well on the LG-3200 E, at the middle of the movie it will start skipping. But the same disc plays fine on another standalone DVD (I gave it to a friend). I thought this was because I burned it with Nero (I use MyDVD for all other DVDs), but now I think that this may be because of the label!
    Now I don't ever label DVD-R and no problem with DVDs created with Nero or any other program. BTW, the same labels work fine for CD-R (I know how to apply them properly).

Search Comp PM
    I just got the Casio CW-50. It's not the greatest, but I am very impressed!

Just a couple of things:
    -Limited print area
    -Monochrome (prints in 1 color)

The silver ink actually looks the best

Here's a sample of my own

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    I just got the Casio CW-50. It's not the greatest, but I am very impressed!

Just a couple of things:
    -Limited print area
    -Monochrome (prints in 1 color)

The silver ink actually looks the best
    How many DVDs can you print with one ribbon. Some have reported only 10 - 15 DVDs per ribbon. With a 3 pack of ribbons going for $24 (minus shipping and handling) that's a little over $0.50 a DVD.

I average $0.10 a DVD using labels (including labels, and ink). I'd think about getting one if a ribbon could print 30 or more DVDs.

Search Comp PM
    I've done over 40 with the black ribbon with at least the same coverage as the sample that I posted.

18. I love my casio.
    Ive printed about 30 so far and its still going strong...still dark and everything.
    I bought the 3 pack but havent needed to change ribbon yet & Ive had it awhile now printing daily for my business.

I am very satisfied.

I print on top & bottom completely every time

19. Over 200 labeled DVD's so far and zero problems on six different DVD drives.

Search Comp PM
    Another PAPER LABEL FREE story!!!!!
    -THERMAL CASIO USER shows how a ONE COLOR LEGEND
    (all the printer is capable of)
    is pretty darn ok! LOOK!

Search Comp PM
    To me Qballcious's point makes the most sense, which is that it might be more of a balance problem then a media problem (although bad media might cause the same problem). If the laser is trying to read a narrow track and an 'out of balance' cdrom causes the next track over to be read then the data (both video and audio) would be corrupted. An out of balance cd would be more critical at the outer edges where the problem seems to always occur. If it was media I think you would also see problems popping up all over the disc, not just at the outer edges. As I remember cdroms used to be "rated" for certain rpm speeds (and probably still are) which indicates to me that rpm is a factor in reliability. Incidently .... I am also an engineer (electro-mechanical) but I'm always open and learning things differently than I had though before. And .... removing the labels is no easy task. If you save the "Title Sets', it's easier to burn a new one with Nero than it is to remove the defective label. I have found that by reducing the bit rate on movies that had pixelation problems and bringing the size down to about 3.6GB seems to fix the freezing and pixelation, since the data is out of the problem area. I can see that more testing is needed in this area.
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms." - THOMAS JEFFERSON .. 1776

22. Of course that a label that is not well centered will produce problems. The problem is that conventional labels are designed for CD-ROM, but DVD requires a more perfect balance.
    A standalone DVD player will read a DVD slower than your computer DVD-ROM (1x or 2x maybe?). 1x DVD spins up to 580 rpm, while 24x CD-ROM spins up to 5100 rpm (I just found this information on some web pages). Because tracks are much narrow on the DVD-ROM, even with lower spin speeds DVD rom are more sensible to subtle unbalanced DVDs. The result is that some players will not play labeled DVDs. I have one of those...

Search Comp PM
    Igalan, thanks for sharing that information about the speeds. I wish I had know about that sooner. That does indeed point more to "unbalance" as being a part of the problem of pixelation and lockup near the end of the movies. I guess the next step is to look into printing/burning directly to the DVD top, to see if that fixes the problem. I haven't the slightest idea how all this printing directly to the cdrom works ...... so, it's back to some research.
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms." - THOMAS JEFFERSON .. 1776

24. I have use Neato 2up labels, and have never had a problem. On my data dvd's, I always make a .md5 file with the checksum for every file I am going to burn. I took a couple of my early ritek dvd's, that have been labeled for a while and verified the files. They all came back OK.
    Ritek 4x dvd-r burned with a Sony DRU500A
    md5 verified by md5summer on a pioneer dvd-rom drive.

Both dvd's were filled to within 100MB of their limit.

25. Correct me if I'm wrong but if you check your original DVD'S you will find that they are not labelled in the conventional sense but printed by a CD machine ie no paper involved whatsoever. One other thought every original DVD disc weighs exactly the same believe it or not, we weighed about 30 of them and found no difference. To my mind its definately a weight issue.

Regards Patsym1

26. Member
    Search PM
    I am just now getting into burning DVDs, and this is my first DVD-R to burn and I had no problems with the label. I used a Maxell DVD-R and Neato label. Burned with a Sony 500AX and played on both a new Sony NS715P and very old Panasonic A110. Played on Sony first all the way through then put in Panasonic and played all the way through. Only done this once, so don't know if it will eventually not play.

I have sent an email to Neato about this just to get their take.

27. Does anyone have a method for removing the labels from CDs and DVDs? I am definitely having label problems playing my labelled DVDs.

Thank you.

cai
    cai

28. Writing with a marker in the clear (not reflective) area at the hub is better than using a sticker, although there's not much room to write. Write only in the area inside a 44-mm diameter. Writing anywhere else on the disc is risky, since the ink could possibly eat away the protective coating and damage the data layer underneath.

Okay, I'm so new at this I haven't even figured out how to back up my archived-to-DVD 8-mm home movies. (dub using Panasonic DMR-HS2 standalone, copying -ripping?- with sony burner, veritas? software) I read the media case about not putting a label on my DVDs so I didn't, but I did use a permanent ink marker to ID the disks--outside the 44-mm diameter.

My question is, should I assume that eventually those disks will need to be replaced because of ink bleeding?

Also--why doesn't inkjet ink bleed?

Jan

29. The new Epson 960 printer will print directly to CDR and of course DVDR. I'm going to be placing my order for one this week.

30. I have a freind who works for Xerox in my old office's copy center print all my labels for me, I use the Neato mattle labels and they are printed on a professional color laser printer at 400x400 dpi.. I've never had any problems.
    We will either find a way or make one - Hannibal