10 1.71%
  • I use an inkjet printer to print directly on the disc

67 11.47%
Closed Thread
Page 19 of 19
FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I have never labeled my dvd's because a friend told me it could interfere with the playing of the dvd.

2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    Originally Posted by Horatio Hornblower
    Printable disks rule. Use a Canon printer with a Disc Dabber Tray. Take a look at www.cd-trays.com It looks like it addresses every concern, including cost, speed, reliability, full color, etc.
    Are there CD Trays for HP or Dell or Lexmark inkjet printers ?

Originally Posted by winifreid
    It is easy to make your own. I've been printing on my canon 3000 for over a year with a tray I made out of a cereal box.
    Can you show us how to make one for Canon or HP inkjet printers ?
    You can't stick a tray with a disc in it in just any printer. Several models of Canon printers are designed to print on a disc in a tray, but the feature is disabled in units sold in the U.S. Adding a tray is the main step toward enabling the feature. I don't believe the other brands you mentioned have any models that are designed for printing on disc. In addition to Epson and Canon, there are at least two other companies that make inkjet printers for direct disc printing. They are based on HP print engines and use HP ink cartridges. They start at $1200. So for most of us it's either an Epson or an enabled Canon. From what I've read it seems that Canon is preferred by those who have used both.

In the U.S., a number of handy people have made their own trays for Canon printers in the manner shown by the link posted earlier by winifreid. Others prefer to buy a tray. Check out the links and you'll see exactly what's involved if you want to go with Canon.

3. In previous posts the Disc Dabber™ Tray for Canon Printers
    is mentioned. I have finally tried one of these trays because they
    are less expensive then the genuine Canon trays. They work fine
    and the Company's support of the product is outstanding. I
    highly recommend them for disk printing on Canon printers.
    They can be found at http://cd-trays.com/
    Instructions for printer activation codes to allow disk printing can be found there also.

4. Which Canon printer did you used ?

Can the canon ink cartridge be refilled with syringe and ink ?

5. I use the Canon IP3000 printer and I do refill the cartridges without even removing
    them from the printer.
    The cd-trays.com website lists most of the Canon printers that can print on DVD/CD
    and the majority of them can be refilled quite easily with just a syringe.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I made my cd tray out of a cereal box and have been using it for almost 2 years.

7. Can just writing to disc with DVD marker cause same problems?

Search Comp PM
    Research it: the only way a marker will damage it is if the ink can penetrate the surface. I do know for a fact that sharpie ink can damage stainless steel pipe and weaken it. I haven't heard of anyone having problems with media from markers, though.
    ;/ l ,[____], Its a Jeep thing,
    l---L---o||||||o- you wouldn't understand.
    (.)_) (.)_)-----)_) "Only In A Jeep"

9. Originally Posted by Digiface
    Can just writing to disc with DVD marker cause same problems?
    No, this has been answered just a few posts up

Search Comp PM
    My biggest problem was that the labels were always too thick. Everytime I played a disc in my laptop, you could slightly hear the label rapidly scraping against something in my DVD drive.

Another reason not to use labels is that there may be slight imperfections in the paper which would cause the disc to "wobble" at high speeds and this could cause playback errors.

The best thing to use is the white printable DVDR discs and a compatible color printer if you really MUST label your discs.

11. At the risk of being repetitive, I can confirm the experience of others.

Do NOT apply sticky labels to DVDs or CDs. As well, inkject printing onto those labels, especially in color may be a problem but I have not been able to isolate the printing issue from the sticky label issue.

Prior to finding this out, a lot of my CDs and DVDs suffered skipping or corruption, particularly near the end (later tracks or chapters) of the burns. I had attributed this effect to the burning technique.

When an important wedding video became corrupted, I joined this group and found the answer.

Here is the good news:

If you use a plastic container and carefully "soak" the labels off, your data from the original burn will all become readable again!

Soaking may take up to 12 hours in the water (depending on the time the labels have been on) and may need to be finished off with a not too sharp plastic strait edge. When doing this, lumps of glue emerge and may get into the water and or become attached to the other side of the media. Since it is important not to add glue to the other side, removal and soaking needs to be done carefully in clean water at room temperature. I have not warmed the water up because of the possibility of warping.

Finally, your cleaned media may play very well in the hour or so after you wipe and dry it out
    with a soft cloth, but there may still be isolated corruption (although vastly less than before the soak). However, magically, the disc will return to perfection in another 24 hours, indicating that some moisture was still present which needed to evaporate. Possibly the water invaded a bit between the layers of plastic.

The above concept have now been proven with over 20 DVDs (single layer, various brand types) and three CDs. All successful. I have a ton of CDs to do; should anything further develop, I will let the forum know.

I had been using Avery 5584 labels and and HP Deskjet 952C printer.

Now I am labelling simply with a Sharpie pen designed for the purpose. Happily, elsewhere on this forum, "Sharpies" were confirmed as being OK.

Moderator may wish to copy this post to the Media forum, where I have recently posted a couple of times.
    Bob Jones
    Ottawa, Canada

12. Here is something I always wanted to know. What about printable discs with white surface? Isn't this surface just a white label that the manufacturer bonds to the disc with glue? Or is it built into a layer of the disc?

13. As a matter of fact, I am just finishing a spindle of "no-name" DVD blanks which have exactly that - a white grainy surface on which hand printing can be done.

Over at the "Media" forum, their initial response was that I was using poor quality media and that I should jump up to better, recommended DVD media. So I went out and got a pack of Maxells (number three on the list; couldn't find the top two brands).

At the same time I was beginning the soaking system and a lot of the DVDs I soaked were those "white-label" no-name type. Same result; once the sticky and inkjet printing was removed = a clean readable disk. The white grainy surface seems to be bonded onto the plastic and is not affected or removed by the soak. Interestingly some other disks I have soaked (mainly CDs) will occasionally have their colored labels scratched a bit especially if any straight edge is used to get the label off.

So afterward I rewrote with an approved Sharpie onto the white label-free disk. Not quite as "professional" looking as the old labels, but hey; the disks play - and you don't have to re-burn.
    Bob Jones
    Ottawa, Canada

14. Originally Posted by Wile_E
    Here is something I always wanted to know. What about printable discs with white surface? Isn't this surface just a white label that the manufacturer bonds to the disc with glue? Or is it built into a layer of the disc?
    Its not a label as such, its a printable coating which is applied to the disc during manufacture. Never had any problems with my printable discs. I use Taiyo Yuden full face printables.

15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,

Am so glad managed to find this post...finally got some answers for the reason for my DVD skipping nightmares

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator offline

16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I also have the same problem but it seems mostly with the Neato Glossy Labels. The DVDs play fine in my computers but when played in a stand alone DVD player sometimes they won't even load. I am thinking it is the additional weight of these disks after these labels are applied or the reflection of the label. I don't believe it has anything to do with the ink. These labels are quite heavy when you add up the grams so I am going to try thinner matte labels and see if that fixes the problem. Stay tuned!

17. Please start a new thread bstern. This one is rather old. Thanks