10 1.71%
  • I use an inkjet printer to print directly on the disc

67 11.47%
Closed Thread
Page 18 of 19
FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Remove the labels. I hear warm soapy water works well.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

2. The strangest part is that the labeled disks work fine at first. It's only after a month or so that mine start to have problems. However, removing the labels fixes it! It's the strangest thing I've experienced with disks.
    -Yar, matey!-

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Simple test to show you why sticky labels screw up discs. Stick the disc in your computer and run a scan test with nero, plextools , krobe or what ever you have loaded in your computer. when the test is done errors and all set the disc "label down" on your scanner glass and notice how far the center of the disc sticks up, (warped up in the center).
    I have found that they STILL warp without labels but not enough to bother playback, it's because of the greater mass in the outer rim of the disc it expands more than the center.

Remove the labels with simple green cleaner, works great and removes the glue also. When you rinse the disc in warm water you end up with a squeaky clean disc, and it will play back without errors.

Cure the problem by printing on th dvd with printably discs. You can get refurbished R200's from epson for 59.00 with free shipping. I bought 2 of them in case one goes bad, that was a over a year ago.

The printers come out of indy so shipping in the midwest is 2 or 3 days.

4. Apply the label before burning!!!! You will not have any problems.

5. I have never had any probs with labels and I use cheap ones with no manufacturers ID on them - glossy or matt. maybe it's the media - I have always used RITEC dyes (G04 /G05 - on Ridisk and Datawrite/Datasafe) and had no probs so far.

I test the DVD before I waste the label - is everyone that has a prob sure it's the label? - did it work before?

Ally

6. I know its a long thread but read some of our members posts, labels causing the problems are the only logical explination.

Personally I have performed the following test. Burned a disc played it with no problems.
    Applied a label to that same disc - playback problems.
    Removed label - disc plays fine again.

7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have done the same test as Craig with the same results. Yes, media can make a differnce: bad media ia more susceptible to label problems. And putting a label on good media, but playing it in a bad player can also mean the video will not play, even if it plays in another, better player. So why take the chance? Either get a sharpie or use printable disks.

8. No epson R200's!! they are one of the worst peices of junk epson has created in years. it performs very similarly to my ancient epson stylus color 400. its horrible and the cd tray function only works if you help it with your hand. it gets very annoying to print discs with the epsons.

why not get a real printer and buy a canon pixma. a pixma ip5000 is one of the best budget printers ever, and its the last model to use the cheap non-chipped ink carts. one picolitre dot size, the results are outstanding. And the cd printing feature is so much better then epsons. it works without help, and its 4x quicker. For all of us americans, just go to ebay and buy a cd tray, enable cd mode on the printer and print your discs. this works for ANY pixma series printer.

I went to office depot the other day and bought a ip5200. on ebay i found a cd tray, and it took less then a minute to change the service settings on the printer for it to work with cd's. big thanks to canon for after-all not crippling their printers. instructions here-http://pixma.web1000.com/

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For discs that I pass out to other people (no copyright issue here all are personal not commercial) I've used the sticky labels with no problem. Just as long as the labels are properly centered and you didn't use the cheap stuff the label should have little to no effect on most DVD players. Cheap label might have uneven distribution of the pulp or glue or may shrink or warp as it ages caising imbalance.

For personal discs though I don't use label I use a sharpie pen. The very same pen that ruined Sony's multi-million CD protection scheme.

10. Member
    Search Comp PM

11. I'll add my 2 cents as I was just brought up to date as to the Label issue and it solved my problem with a number DVDr's in my collection.

I believe 2 factors are at play when then DVDr skips with the labels applied.

Its the player (I can't tell you how many post I saw that said "I have million of DVDrs labeled and none them skip")

Its the Labels (This to me is 90% of the problem)

I Had a Apex AD-1500 and it was the player "I cut my teeth on" I could it seemed I would really have to screw up for this player not to play back my disks smoothly. But is has since passed on and last year I got a Pioneer DV-270. All was well and then suddenly my movies were skipping and stopping. I would re-burn and re-label. I found only recently about this label issue after I just purchsed a Yamaha DVD S550 and the problems would start to accur again but not on all the disks.

I know remember one thing that contributed to the problem, right after I got the Pioneer I ran out of the Avery labels that I normally used and I picked a 100pack of CDStomp, I rember after opening them up noticeing that they are thicker the Avery labels.

Last night I removed Labels of a Bunch of my "BAD" DVD-rs and can confirm the problem is gone. (for me atleast)

I believe the labels and the Player contribute to the problem, but more so the labels. I thank the kind sole who PM'd me and pointed me in the right direction.

12. I used Neato label. There are three types of label on the same sheet : Full CD/DVD label, Small hub label, and spine label.

So far, some of those DVDs with Full DVD label do skip at the end of the movie. Those with small hub/ring label so far are still fine, but I won't bet on it.

I have been looking for a inkjet printer for DVD printing, but their graphics are kind of awful, or their ink won't work with normal DVD surface.

Is there a type or brand of label that don't cause problems, or is there a CD/DVD printer really nice and work ?

I read this "I use the Canon i865. It prints DVD/CD's to a fantastic quality, and comes with all the trays etc you need." How is this printer/ink combination on regular DVD ?

13. NOne of the existing "consumer" level printers will work with ordinary DVD's . They have to be inkjet printable or thermal printable blanks. You could also look at Lightscribe and labelflash drives and media (agin both special) . IMO matte white inkjet printables is the best solution, until the new "rainbow-burn" HD-DVD drives and media arrive.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i use markers to write on my discs. would that be dangerous?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ShadowrazoR
    i use markers to write on my discs. would that be dangerous?
    no, fool, that's the current recommendation a few hundred posts up!
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil

16. paper labels look nice, if it interferes with the chemical and the balance of the disc. Then maybe the smaller core labels can avoid the pitfall, since it is on the opposite side that has no CD/DVD coating, and its mass is only 9.8% of the full label. They also cost less per disc.

17. The writable layer is in the middle of the disc sandwiched between polycarbonate layers there is no way it could be a chemical effect. It is either warping of the disc caused by the label or balancing issues.

18. It is the common expereince that DVD read back issue happened at the outer radius of the disc. DVD players do 1X DVD read back which is CAV ( Constant Angular Velocity ). If the assumption that the bits per track, and the track width is the same, then the outer track suppose to be easier to read back. But we know that is not true. Does this has to do that DVD is mostly written in CLV ( Constant Linear velocity )? It may be another non/linear tracking issue like record player and record cutter.

By weight, a blank disc weighs 0.55 oz, and a full label weighs 0.05 oz at about 10%. Is this enough to unbalance the play back in a player ?

So far, like everybody else, I was looking for a pleasing way to identify the 100 disc. Marker is not for me. So far, the core labels have not cause me problem yet. I am looking to swap experince with others.

The 10 or so discs that I have problem with, are mostly after 2 years or so. So it can be the discs themselves, or the label, or both. But with 100s burn disc on hand, and 100s more to go. We better find a solution soon.

19. Printable discs and an inkjet disc printer is the way to go.

20. This is a message box from Sonic label maker.

21. Interesting, its only taken 3 1/2 years since the start of this thread to see an official warning like that

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you folks checked out HP CD/DVD Tattoos. They are at www.hp.com/go/tattoos. They are polycarbonate rather than paper based labels and should have much better reliability.

23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Printable disks rule. Use a Canon printer with a Disc Dabber Tray. Take a look at www.cd-trays.com It looks like it addresses every concern, including cost, speed, reliability, full color, etc.

(The link is now fixed. Many thanks, winifreid, for pointing out the problem.)

24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your link is broke. Anyway, it is easy to make your own. I've been printing on my canon 3000 for over a year with a tray I made out of a cereal box.

25. Originally Posted by Horatio Hornblower
    Printable disks rule. Use a Canon printer with a Disc Dabber Tray. Take a look at www.cd-trays.com It looks like it addresses every concern, including cost, speed, reliability, full color, etc.
    Are there CD Trays for HP or Dell or Lexmark inkjet printers ?

Originally Posted by winifreid
    It is easy to make your own. I've been printing on my canon 3000 for over a year with a tray I made out of a cereal box.
    Can you show us how to make one for Canon or HP inkjet printers ?

26. I have just bought a cannon Pixma (I already have an R200). I must say first impressions are I prefer the cannon. It seems quicker and the tray feed is much more reliable than the Epson. The software does not let you print to the centre of the full face discs though, although I thought I read somewhere of a way to do it, will have to investigate further.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is the link on how to get Pixma 3000 to print to DVD
    http://pixma.webpal.info/Pixma345/345.html

You can adjust the inner circle by going to "Select Paper" under "File" then select new and create your own user define circle diameter.

28. Paper labels on DVDs expand and contract with humidity. This is a characteristic of paper (the inventor of air conditioning worked in a paper factory, and he was trying to draw water out of the environment to keep the print rolls in registration.) The expansion and contraction change the tilt of a DVD disc over time, and the outer area of the disc goes out of laser focus. The problem is not as severe with CD-Rs because the solid piece of carbonate is less likely to tilt than the sandwiched DVD halves, and the tracks and pits are much larger. Paper labels should never be applied to DVDs. The only ones that work with few problems are polyester based labels.

29. It's the thread that would not die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Owner of a Panasonic DMR-HS2 and a DVD+-R/RW Burner.

30. Originally Posted by Joe Ryan
    Paper labels on DVDs expand and contract with humidity. The only ones that work with few problems are polyester based labels.
    Originally Posted by Professor HD
    Have you folks checked out HP CD/DVD Tattoos. They are at www.hp.com/go/tattoos. They are polycarbonate rather than paper based labels and should have much better reliability.
    So you guys are on the same track.