VideoHelp Forum

Poll: How old are you (no lying now)

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'll be 42 next month. I really appreciate this forum as I have found many workarounds, freeware links and solutions just by reading the various interactions of the members here. Keep up the good work!
    NickBurns - "It's the software that's stupid, not you... right?"
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm half the age of most here, and less than 1/3 that of gmatov

But heres what use to put up with:

Windows 3.1
    Windows 98
    Now: Windows XP

My favorite being WinXP:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am getting too old now and my age group is only 10% of the poll.

Born 1953 and guess my age.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by g_shocker182
    But heres what use to put up with:
    Not a DOS baby huh? Ah the memories. Although not many because I was only a kid and didn't know much about computers then.

But I do remember playing King's Quest on the old Intel 8088. And boy was that frustrating not having a color monitor. You would not see the big yellow pile of gold in the middle of the green field. It was all one big blob of brown
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    34 going on 13
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm 34, but it's not how old you are (or even how young you feel) that's important; it's how old your wife says you are (mine and my buddies' say our 2 year olds are more mature than we are...we just try to keep things interesting).
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    50 but it's not my fault. I was minding my own business and just
    got this way.

Never trust anyone over 30
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Solarjetman
    But I do remember playing King's Quest on the old Intel 8088. And boy was that frustrating not having a color monitor. You would not see the big yellow pile of gold in the middle of the green field. It was all one big blob of brown
    My first computer game ever was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I came on a 1.44mb floppy. Did everyone hear me, A FLOPPY!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first program I ever bought came on a tape cassette.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tgpo
    Me too, I remember playing computer games on the Amiga and this one also on a floppy. This reminder made me feel so old now and this must be around 15 years ago to its demise around 1997.

Me a 1953 baby.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by tgpo
    Me too.....

TRS-80 Model 1

Cassette volume set on medium

Got new programs from local comp store.....

I used Dads tape duplicating machine (8 cassettes from 1) to "back them up"
    tgpo famous MAC commercial, You be the judge?
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    I use the FixEverythingThat'sWrongWithThisVideo() filter. Works perfectly every time.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Shocker,

Unfortunately, you seem to be having more trouble with XP than 98.

I'm still 98, with W2k as a dual boot, rarely boot into it, probably should, but 98 is just so damn comfortable.

Personally, the only XPerience I have w/XP is machines I take in for repair, and I don't even know how it is supposed to run, so always tell the "customer" it seems to be running awful slow. Of course, they always say, doesn't seem to be slow to me.

Ah, well, what ya gonna do?

George

BTW, I didn't figure you for 19 or less. I gave you at least a couple more years.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm 15, although my IQ would probably depict me as younger.
    I only dream in black & white...
    MSN: paschendale@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Dhruv,

Actually, IQ tests are taken at a much younger age than 15, more like 6 or 7.

So, you might act like a less than 15, but it doesn't mean you're dumb. Don't denigrate yourself, lad, you found your way here, you can't be too dumb.

And you have a website. I don't know what all has to be filled in, with what, as pri. contact, admin, all the other stuff to get a domain, else I would have a family site up that all my kids, g'kids could access/use as remote storage, etc..

So, you're probably smarter than I am, and I ain't the dumbest old fart around..

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    31 years old here.

My first computer was a VIC-20 with a cassette tape drive (it also used cartridges).

First computer game (not counting ATARI 2600 games) was ADVENTURE or ADVENTURE LAND or something like that for the VIC-20. It was a ZORK style text adventure.

Go right
    Get apple
    Eat apple

Unlike the ZORK games and other such games by Infocom the VIC-20 game didn't allow sentance structures. Just a verb and a noun. Hence my example above. At least in ZORK you could type, "Kill troll with sword"

hehehe

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Fulci,

I bought a VIC20 in 1980 for my , then, 5 year old daughter. I bought her a bunch of cartridges, especially Gorf, which was one bitchin' game 20+ years ago, on a 32K total machine.
    Still have it, have to see if I can hook it up to anything..
    Damned tape drive got me every time. Couldn't type fast enough to get a whole magazine program in in one sitting, would save to tape, type the rest the next day, never did figure why it wouldn't connect the 2 halves of the program. Gave up.

Should copy all my old tapes either to new tape, or to CD, think all the cartridges should still work.

That was a nice machine, better than the Atari 2600 the kids had.

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by gmatov
    Fulci,

I bought a VIC20 in 1980 for my , then, 5 year old daughter. I bought her a bunch of cartridges, especially Gorf, which was one bitchin' game 20+ years ago, on a 32K total machine.
    Still have it, have to see if I can hook it up to anything..
    Damned tape drive got me every time. Couldn't type fast enough to get a whole magazine program in in one sitting, would save to tape, type the rest the next day, never did figure why it wouldn't connect the 2 halves of the program. Gave up.

Should copy all my old tapes either to new tape, or to CD, think all the cartridges should still work.

That was a nice machine, better than the Atari 2600 the kids had.

George
    Well the VIC-20 was OK but the real GREAT computer game machine of my day (teenage years) was the C-64 but unfortunately I no longer have mine ... sniff sniff

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Fulci,

My brother-in-law bought one not too long later, had to have better than me, used it maybe 6 weeks, kept gettint Commodore's version of the BSOD.

I think my neighbor still has one. Might be willing to part with it. Don't know if the software/hardware (cartridges ) were backward compatible.

Have to talk at him.

I'm down by Irwin.

George

You wouldn't happen to know a Carl, would you?
    Quote Quote  
  19. 53 years young:Older than dirt, but wiser than compost And other than the failing knees and and aching back-and pain from pissing, as good as 20 year old
    The first computer I worked was a card punch Vac
    The 1st computer I built for my home (circa 1984)was a XT clone and was the the lastest and greatest with a 5 meg hard drive a 720 floppy and 1.2 5.25 floppy-125k memory with 256 memory expansion 6pack with a big 10" monochrome screen and dot matrix printer for the low cost/bargin of $6000.00 and as time passed I can across other bargins like the 1st cdr drive (circ 1995)$600 and oh those great games we wrote in basic--the fun we had--worth every cent :P
    Oh yes, I also walked 50 miles in the snow to school every day;and by the time we got to college we had lost all our toes from frostbite----And by golly we like it! LOL
    -change is absolute-
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by @2alien
    Older than dirt, but wiser than compost
    I will have to remember that one for when I get older, or joking about other's ages
    "A beginning is the time for taking the most delicate care that the balances are correct."
    - Frank Herbert, Dune
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Dhruv,

Actually, IQ tests are taken at a much younger age than 15, more like 6 or 7.

So, you might act like a less than 15, but it doesn't mean you're dumb. Don't denigrate yourself, lad, you found your way here, you can't be too dumb.

And you have a website. I don't know what all has to be filled in, with what, as pri. contact, admin, all the other stuff to get a domain, else I would have a family site up that all my kids, g'kids could access/use as remote storage, etc..

So, you're probably smarter than I am, and I ain't the dumbest old fart around..

George
    Thanks for that!

A website isn't really that hard to get up, in fact, it's relatively easy! I've been acting as a mentor to my friend and I've taught him how to develop websites, and he has picked it up in just a couple of weeks! All you've got to do is show dedication towards it (much like anything else we all wish to learn) and the rest is a piece of cake!

I'm sure you're kids and grandchildren would love to have an interactive place on the web which all of you can communicate through.

To stay on-topic, I've gotta mention that I just love how this community works. People from all ages, from all across the globe visit this site, and the thing that I like is how mature all the members are. Unlike other forums, there isn't any nonsense taking place and all th people here go out of their way to help others. Good job everyone!
    I only dream in black & white...
    MSN: paschendale@gmail.com
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by gmatov
    Shocker,

Unfortunately, you seem to be having more trouble with XP than 98.
    Well I got it working now. Yeah I used to have 98 for a few years, and it never did anything like that (windows xp thread). The XP has actually done that once before that, but this was my mistake as I installed Norton and MacAfee simutaneously (even though the setup said specifically not to do this, ). I got through that crash ok, but as I said that never happened with 98.

But I take XP for the looks and operation that suits me well.

Ah, well, what ya gonna do?
    Pray that XP stays fine.

I didn't figure you for 19 or less.
    I hope your opinion wouldn't change if I said my age was actaully lower than that.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Shocker,

Hell , if you're closer to a quarter than a third, you rate even more respect for your responses.

I was assuming college papers you wanted to retrieve, high school papers, good for you, lad.

Cheers,

George

edit: maybe at your age I shouldn't use words like "hell".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gmatov
    maybe at your age I shouldn't use words like "hell".
    Makes me think, I better make a list of the user names and ages.

If (when) I get into a lively discussion or disagreement with someone I should check the list. I may be arguing with one of my grandhildren. Maybe tgpo is my grandson?
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I don't mind it. I've backed up movies with worse profanity.

jeez what a nerd your thinkin....
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    gll,

I think that would make me blush in embarrassment, too.

He uses a Mac, for Pete's sake, he's "The one we don't talk about".

Cheers,

George

You been gettin' any fish from that hole? Gotta be fished out by now.
    Quote Quote  
  27. FulciLives,

Well the VIC-20 was OK but the real GREAT computer game machine of my day (teenage years) was the C-64 but unfortunately I no longer have mine ... sniff sniff

Dont worry you can still get one http://www.arstechnica.com/archive/news/1063155398.html
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gmatov
    You been gettin' any fish from that hole? Gotta be fished out by now.
    It just means that it's hard to leave this place. When I go to power down the monitor (not my comp) I always find something else of interest to read or comment on. It's 2.55 a.m. here and that's it for me. Fell alseep watching tv for 3 hours early last evening so up til now I couldn't get to sleep. Time for some zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz..................
    There's not much to do but then I can't do much anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote