VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I burned a 480x576 MPEG2 (SVCD PAL) authored as DVD on a 700MB CD-r (short 2 minute clip) just to see if my player supported it. To my amazement, it did. So now I'd like to put some SVCDs on DVD-Rs without transcoding.

What I'd like is to burn them all as separate tracks (ideally one track per SVCD disc, or 800MBs) and just be able to select any one of them at will. The problem is, I can't seem to find a way to accomplish this.

The way I did the CD-R (demuxing a MPEG2, and muxing it / authoring it as DVD) doesn't work because
    a) I get out-of-buffer-memory errors when dealing with files over 2GBs
    b) when demuxing those large MPEG2s, they lose header info and aren't recognizable as video files anymore, and
    c) I'd be forced to FF through a film and a half to get where I left off, since the entire DVD would be one huuuuge film

Can I author a DVD "manually"? Is there a manual that states how to write an IFO?

PLEASE NO PROGRAM TIPS - I AM ON A MAC, NOT A PC hehe... just so you know... I just need the info; "just the facts, ma'm"...

Thanks!

/Wizeman a.k.a. El Rocho of the Movie Madhouse
    "I have not failed. I have only learned what does not work."
    -Edison
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just to clarify: I can make the VOBs easily... but then what?

Say I have 5 VOB files that I want to have played consecutively, and the player to recognize them as 5 separate tracks (so I can go straight from one track to another) - can I write a .IFO that fixes that? Is that all? How?

/Wizeman
    -Edison
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just one of your major problems is that 480x576 SVCD format is not DVD compatible. This means (sorry) that you will have to encode it to 720x576 first.

Also, writing an .IFO file by hand is just about as easy as modifying the color in a bitmapped image one pixel at a time. It can be done, but I suspect that a person would only do this once in his life.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know that 480x576 is not DVD compatible, it's a xDVD I'm trying to make :P as described here online as DVD-SVCD... very few players accept it, but mine does... now the nly q is how I can fix one playable DVD from a handful of VOBs. Anyone?

/Wizeman
    -Edison
    Quote Quote