VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Since the HS2 does not let you firewire vidio to a PC. I would think there would be more information on this site about how to transfer a HS2 dvd-ram disk by playing it in a PC dvd player, copying it to a harddrive and then editing the vidio. This is one of the most important topics for me to understand before buying a HS2. Transfering with a dvd-r disk is not very cost efficient so I ruled that option out.

I am hoping to get some detailed information on how to do this.
    (1) What dvd player should I get for my PC that will have no problem reading a dvd-ram disk from the HS2?
    (2) Once copied to the harddrive is it in the right format for editing or will I need the program called TMPGEnc?
    (3) Will the HS2 vidio on the dvd-ram disk be in MPEG2. From what I learned from this site I want an AVI for editing and a MPEG2 for burning to a dvd and the best program for converting is TMPGEnc. Does this sound right?
    Quote Quote  
  2. See the DMR-HS2 Answer Repository.

Hope that helps!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    tyzak,

Before you buy the HS2 see my thread I just posted in here about about the model DMR-T3040.
    I just got my DMR-3040 on Friday and have been experimenting with it over the weekend. I finally had time to dub a short clip to the Panasonic DVD-RAM discs that I bought with the unit.
    I bought the Toshiba 1612 DVD drive for my PC a few months ago since teh specs stated it would read DVD-RAM discs and I wanted the ability to transfer into the PC as you stated.

I buy all my PC components from NewEgg and they sell the newer model Toshiba 1712 which also states as being able to read DVD-RAM discs.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.asp?submit=manufactory&catalog=55&manufactory=12...tby=14&order=1

My 1612 unit read the disc just fine and I was able to play it using the WinDVD software on my system. I don't know how familiar you are with how a DVD is structured but the Panny unit creates files on the RAM discs that are in fact in DVD format, namely IFO and VOB files. I haven't gotten into editing the VOB video files yet but am sure it's possible with the right software installed.

Drop me a line if I can be of further assisstance..

Rick
    Quote Quote  
  4. http://www.ulead.com/dmf/compare.htm
    Shows Ulead movie factory 2 and 2.1 can edit a dvd-ram disk and import video from advd-ram disk. I have not tried this product
    Quote Quote  
  5. shoot, record, and edit in AdobePremiere with DVD ConnexIT!HEURIS' DVD ConnexIT is a powerful new plug-in that allows you to instantly read VR formatted video filesfrom a DVD-RAM disc in Adobe Premiere®. Now you can edit, add titling, transitions and other special effects and finally export to your favorite viewing format all witha simple click of the mouse! Why wait? HEURIS' DVDConnexIT is shipping RIGHT NOW!DVD ConnexITTM
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not sure if HS2 writes in DVD-Video format (IFO/VOB/BUP in VIDEO_TS) or DVD-VR format (VRO) or what, but I just read that the Apple QT's MPEG2 playback plugin (~$29US) supports reading/viewing/playback of VRO files.

Maybe this could help for those on tighter budgets.
    Otherwise, I would bet that Heuris' "Xtractor" could do what is needed. (~$129?)
    Quote Quote