VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I capture my video to MPEG 2 using Ulead Video Studio 4.0. Then I encode it to SVCD and burn it. When there is alot of movement the picture gets blocky. How can I fix this??
    I have;
    AMD T-Bird 900
    128 Ram
    30 gig 7200 RPM HD
    Win 2k
    AIW Radeon 32 mb
    Please Reply,
    Thank You,
    Eric
    Quote Quote  
  2. I know what the problem is>>>Stupid Software!!! It is nothing but junkyass Ulead Trash! .
    I use campeg program that works really well!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Have you tried any of the following?:

Increasing the bitrate during capture or capture to a low-compressed AVI (Huffyuv or MJPEG) instead of MPEG-2, using the Soften block noise option of TMPGEnc, using High or Highest quality motion search in TMPGEnc, running some noise reduction filters on the video, or trying to make a non-standard SVCD with a higher bitrate.

-Cart
    http://www.geocities.com/lukesvideo/index.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Try doing a real time capture with your MMC 7.1 software that came with your Radeon. Do it just for grins. See how it compares to your Ulead captures.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ntserver:
    Where can i get the Campeg software??
    Cart:
    If I fun too many filters with TMPG the encoding will take forever. Given my machine specs how long do you think it should take to encode my mpeg 2 to SVCD using the filters you suggested?
    Thank You!!
    Please Reply
    Eric
    Quote Quote  
  6. it's very difficult to get rid of all blockiness in high-motion scenes without really smoothing them over and stay within the VCD or SVCD specs. basically, MPEG compression works by using a whole picture (I frame) and then for the next several frames only coding the differences from that whole picture. so in high motion, there's lots of differences, and few bits to go around, so they all get coded but not very accurately. however, smoothing helps by blurring the edges and making the differences from frame to frame less significant.

capturing in real time will always look worse than a good offline encoder since there is no time constraint on the latter. but when you capture realtime MPEG-2 as an SVCD source to re-encode, use a very high bitrate (like 5-10 Mbps/5000-10000 kbps) and/or I-Frame only to get very good quality, because when you re-encode you lose some.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Eric,

The amout of time it will take depends on the specific filters and settings you use. Personally, I like to use VirtualDub with the Temporal Smoother and Smart Smoother filters for noise reduction. In general, noise reduction filters are pretty slow. Like most things in life, the more time you put it, the better quality you can get out. If you test a shorter segment of your video, you can play with the settings and get an estimate of how long it will take to complete the whole video.

-Cart
    http://www.geocities.com/lukesvideo/index.html
    Quote Quote