VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Has anyone used these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=11163&item=2085460905&rd=1

I worried about ordering these on ebay since I don't know if they will actually work.

Thanks.
    -Alex
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't have first hand knowledge, but I have read threads on other forums that claim the DRU500 does indeed write at 4X on the Ritek 4X DVD-R media. I am about to purchase some. I hope the posts that I read were right.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I should have added that it was with the "f" firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got done burning a couple. One in Impression SE and the other in Nero 5.5.10.0. Both burned fine. The only thing is that I expected it to burn faster.

I burned an image from another cd and it took 35min (yes, it said it was burning at 4x in Nero). I saw the same thing in Impression. I expected the time to be more like 15min. My DVD+RW 2.4x disk seem to be writing faster.

I ran the burn again on a Sony DVD+R disk and I burned at 2x and I burned from start to finish in 24min with Impresion. What the heck is going on?

What the fastest anyone has gotten a full DVD to burn?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by ToddB

I ran the burn again on a Sony DVD+R disk and I burned at 2x and I burned from start to finish in 24min with Impresion. What the heck is going on?

What the fastest anyone has gotten a full DVD to burn?
    Do the DVD+R and DVD+RW discs work with stand alone DVD players?

I tried a DVD-R and DVD-RW and they both worked perfectly with my stand alone DVD players.

Let me know. Thanks.
    -Alex
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    On my Sony DVP-S360 it does (both +RW and +R). Check out the player list.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers

There is listing of what worked for people and what doesn't. I was about to give up on my player until I found out it actually plays DVD + and - formats very well....even one of the Apex boxes does which surprised me.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by ToddB
    I burned an image from another cd and it took 35min (yes, it said it was burning at 4x in Nero). I saw the same thing in Impression. I expected the time to be more like 15min. My DVD+RW 2.4x disk seem to be writing faster.
    35min is definitly not 4x. You need to change registry to see actual speed during burning with Nero. Otherwise you just see what was selected and not what is realy used.

See this

How can I identify real burning speed with Nero ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by donpedro

35min is definitly not 4x. You need to change registry to see actual speed during burning with Nero. Otherwise you just see what was selected and not what is realy used.
    So how long does it actually take to burn for DVD-R and DVD+R?

I haven't been able to burn faster than 2x which takes about 30mins... Does 4x just cut that time in half??
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not having any luck with changing that reg key, it's not there. Nero still says it's buring 4x with these Ritex disk, but it's taking 30min. I know that can't be right when my DVD+R 2.4x media is burning in 24min.

I'll have to do some investigation and see what I come up with. I will note that these Ritex disk give off more vibration, but I guess you get what you pay for.
    Quote Quote  
  10. For approximately 4 gigs,
    it takes:
    1 hour to burn at 1X
    30 minutes at 2X
    15 minutes at 4x and so on...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Chips144
    I don't have first hand knowledge, but I have read threads on other forums that claim the DRU500 does indeed write at 4X on the Ritek 4X DVD-R media. I am about to purchase some. I hope the posts that I read were right.
    Do you know which forums?
    I would like to read up on it, since I have a feeling it might be software related.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my 3rd disk with Nero 5.5.9.17 and before with 5.5.10.0 and both times it said these Ritex 4x disk where buring at 4x, but it took 35min to burn which isn't 4x. I don't think it's just Nero, because I use Pinnacle Impression SE to burn the DVD I author, and in the drop down where it ask the speed, it shows 4x when these disk are in the drive, but it take 30+ minutes in the program as well. I know it's not what I'm burning either because I've burned images as well as a mass of individual files.

Recorder Buffer Level seems to flux quite a bit, almost all the way out. I never get this when I burned CD on my TDK drive.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by ToddB
    This is my 3rd disk with Nero 5.5.9.17 and before with 5.5.10.0 and both times it said these Ritex 4x disk where buring at 4x, but it took 35min to burn which isn't 4x. I don't think it's just Nero, because I use Pinnacle Impression SE to burn the DVD I author, and in the drop down where it ask the speed, it shows 4x when these disk are in the drive, but it take 30+ minutes in the program as well. I know it's not what I'm burning either because I've burned images as well as a mass of individual files.

Recorder Buffer Level seems to flux quite a bit, almost all the way out. I never get this when I burned CD on my TDK drive.
    So has anyone been able to actually burn at 4x successfully with the Sony??

I want to know before I go ahead and order 4x DVD-Rs.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I resisted loading this for a long time, but just to make sure this wasn't a Nero issue, I loaded the Veritas Record Now on my system and tried to burn one of these Ritek at 4x. I think it was even slower then nero. I was hopeful at first when the time ramaining said 12min after about 3% was burned, but got worse as it went on. I'm now at 43% and says I've got 18min left and I've been burning for 14min.

Since I have the 1.0f firmware installed, and my 2x is burning faster and never once made a coster so far, I'm thinking that these Ritek disk are just junk. I would love to hear otherwise from anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ToddB
    Do you have DMA enabled? Perhaps might be an issue...
    Quote Quote  
  16. One person posted if DVD+R plays in alot of DVD Players I have tried all these brands and they played my DVD+R's and DVD+RW's perfectly.

Daewoo 5700, 5800, 5900
    Panasonic DMR-E10, E20, E30 HR2
    Panasonic RA60
    Sampo 631CF
    APEX 600a, 500
    Any Philips brand
    Any Sharp brand
    Any Akai Brand
    Any and all JVC and Toshiba brands at Best Buy

So far only one player would not load up my discs, Pioneer 250.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since my burner is on a Promis Ultra100 IDE controller, it shows up as a scsi devise so I don't have that DMA drop down like I do for my onboard controller in device manager. But when my system boots, it does show DMA on when it finds the drive.

I posted in another thread about my CPU usage being at 100% I was burning my DVD+RW at 2.4x. Maybe....this some how limits my 4x disk to 2x because something is choking it right now. I'll have to experiement a little.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Couldn't be "Promis Ultra100 IDE controller" problem ? Try it with your standard IDE chanels.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Even while burning, your system shouldn't be at 100% CPU. My friend took his drive back since he was having the same problems with the 100% CPU and slow burning speeds even at the displayed speeds. Replacing the drive made things happy.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thats what it was, my Promise Ultra100 controller. I switch my 32x TDK (which was on my onboard IDE) and my Sony DRU-500A and now my TDK shows pegged out cpu usage and my Sony is working fine now.

Retik 4x Burn time -> 15:48 (CPU usage hardly showed)

I have to say this is a pretty good drive when it didn't make a coaster out of those 4x disk, instead it burnt them at a lower speed.
    Quote Quote  
  21. BINGO !!! Let's have some beer.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I though Promess tech manual recomend not to put a CD drive on the controller? Use the stock IDE for them and HD for the Promess controller. They are optomised for HD IDE and not ATAPE.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I sent an email to Promise about the Ultra100 to see if there is some kind of issue with this. At least we know that if it says 4x and buring at 2x and that the CPU usage is very high, then it must be the IDE interface causing the problem. It was like it was "starving" the through put to the drive. I'll be curious what Promise has to say about it.

Didn't see you post NightWing, you are probably right about that. I used to have all harddrives on it, but it's been a couple years since I've thrown that manual out and it wasn't now until I have 4 harddrives and 3 CD/DVD drives that I saw this problem. So that's what I ended up doing, put all my cd/dvd drives on my onboard controller and now everything is just fine.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Glad its working now!

PS: I just look at a PDF copy of the 100 manual but cant find the words. I know the orginal Ultra 66 had a warning about no ATAPE or what ever they call it pluged on the card.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @ToddB

I have got the same problem...
    My SONY doesn't want to write 4x discs @ 4x
    I am running Win2k SP3.
    A friend of mine is running XP and burns the same discs @ 4x.
    We both have firmware 1.0f installed.
    Allthought Nero and RecordNowMAX say they are burning @ 4x, it takes 30 minutes to burn a dvd
    My SONY is installed as a master on the second IDE.
    I updated the IDE bus drivers form my MSI motherboard.
    I don't know what else I could do to fix this???

Regards, -BK-
    Quote Quote  
  26. What about Ulrea DMA ? Is it on ? Do you have something else as Slave on IDE2 ?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by donpedro
    What about Ulrea DMA ? Is it on ? Do you have something else as Slave on IDE2 ?
    DMA is enabled on all channels.
    I had a DVD-ROM as slave on IDE2.

My system:

Mobo : MSI K7T2 Pro
    CPU: AMD XP 2000+
    Mem: 512 MB DDRAM
    Primary IDE master: HD 40 Gb (OS)
    Primary IDE slave: HD 60 Gb (data)
    Secondary IDE master: DVDwriter SONY DRU500
    Secondary IDE slave: DVD-ROM 12x
    PCI primary IDE master: Plextor CDRW
    PCI primary IDE slave: HD 75 Gb (data)
    PCI secondary IDE master: none
    PCI secondary IDE slave: none

For testing I put the SONY as master on my PCI IDE 133 without slave and I noticed the burning process started at 4-speed, but after a minute or two it decreased to 2-speed again!

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  28. You might not like this, but try take out you PCI IDE card and uninstall Special drivers for it. I saw couple of posts where after removing "special driver" for an extra IDE card solved issues.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do not want to take out my PCI IDE
    But if nothing else will do the trick, I guess I will have to

I just changed to:
    Primary IDE master: HD 40 Gb (OS)
    Primary IDE slave: HD 60 Gb (data)
    Secondary IDE master: DVDwriter SONY DRU500
    Secondary IDE slave: HD 75 Gb (data)
    PCI primary IDE master: Plextor CDRW
    PCI primary IDE slave: none
    PCI secondary IDE master: DVD-ROM 12x
    PCI secondary IDE slave: none

Burning started at 4x... after 20 seconds speed turned to 0 and then immediately increased to a steady 2x ...

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Even stranger now...
    I put the SONY in my other computer with WinXP, master on de 2nd IDE.
    Again it won't burn the discs at 4-speed.
    Damned, are there different kind of drives???
    My friend burns the discs out of the same 10-pack with his SONY at 4-speed!
    We both got firmware 1.0f and tried the same burning proggies (Nero, RecordNowMAX and DVD Decrypter).
    I'm desperate.

-BK-
    Quote Quote