+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sure
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm having the same problem with my DRU500A with the "F" firmware and these Ritek discs. I ordered a sample pack w/ritek 4x discs, and an additional 10 Ritek 4x discs from allmediaoutlet.com

The first disc in the test pack burned at 4x for sure, but for some reason couldn't verifiy the data (volume wouldn't mount). I tried to load it again and after a while the DRU500A finally recognized the disc. My Pioneer dvd-rom didn't seem to have any problems loading the disc.

The second disc in the test pack only burned at 2 times.. as well as all the discs in the 10 pack I bought so far. Definitely not a good sign...

Tried to burn a movie, which my set top Toshiba and Playstation2 rejected.

I've had success with the Memorex +-r, Sony +-r & +-rw, Taiyo Yuden -r, and TDK +-r at 2-2.4x All discs played movies properly on my dvd-rom drives, set-top player, and my Playstation2. I'm waiting for some other 4x capable discs in the mail to see if I get the same problem.

Here's my drive setup:

Onboard IDE:
    Primary Master: Pioneer 115 DVD-Rom
    Primary Slave: Plextor 40/12/40a
    Secondary Master: Sony DRU500A
    Secondary Slave: None

All my harddrives are on a Promise TX100 IDE card.

Any suggestions?

Kai
    Quote Quote  
  3. UPDATE:

Tested different drive configurations, with the DRU500A performing exactly the same regardless of whether or not it was on the primary or secondary channel, master or slave. Unless there's something screwed up in a system to begin with, drive placement shouldn't be an issue as long as they are set properly.

In my opinion, it's the fault of the media. Since many companies seem to be coming up in ADVDinfo as being based off of Ritek, I believe whichever firm put these discs out didn't do a very good job. Even at 1x speed, there are mounting isses with the DRU500A for both movie and data discs, and movies will not play on either my settop (which can pretty much play just about anything I throw at it), or my PS2 (a V7, which has shown suprising compatibility with a variety of -+r and rw discs).

On the plus side, I can't say that any of the discs have been completely unusable. All of them worked in my Pioneer DVD-Rom, and eventually mounted in the DRU500A. Movies played properly with PowerDVD, and the data discs verified and copied back to harddrive without incident.

I'm ordering some Pioneer 4x media to test with, as well some 4x Taiyo's when I can find some in stock. I might try Datawrite as well, since some of you had some good experiences with them.

Kai
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Kai,

Datawrite are RITEK also, so don't bother testing!
    And Zero Defex 4x DVD-R are also RITEK...

Still the same problem over here: burned 2 or 3 discs at 4-speed.
    The others all started at 4-speed in my SONY, but after 2 minutes decreased to 2-speed!

-BK-
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the heads up, -BK- I picked up a a few anyways with a test pack I bought, but at least now I know not to get my hopes up. =P

I managed to come across both the Pioneer 4x and Taiyo Yuden 4x discs at a computer shop in my area I happened upon on my way home from work, and I can confirm that both brand discs burn at 4x in the DRU500A, and the 4 movie discs I burned work on all the players in my house, including the PS2. I only got 3 of the Pioneer and 5 of the Taiyo's (that was all they had left), and they all work just as they should.

I think Taiyo is going to be the brand I'm gonna stick with. Seems to be excellent quality/reliability at an average price. Not the cheapest, but not the most expensive either. They seem to be a bit hard to find right now, but since they're new I guess that's to be expected.

Kai
    Quote Quote