VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by ShibaInu
    Good Lord man, I hope no one gives you a gun anytime soon... I can understand your frustration however I cannot share your feelings towards nero... I think Nero is the BEST burning software available... PERIOD. I have upgraded to 5.5.10 and have burned 8 flawless DVDs so far. With version 5.5.9.17, the only problem I ever had was doing a DVD copy with a DVD+R but other than that it worked great. I don't understand why everyone is having so much trouble with this new version.. I record in DVD_Video mode ALL the time and my DVDs work flawlessly in both my Sony DRU500A and my Sony DVP-NS715P stand alone player. I use Ritek and Maxell DVD media and have NEVER burned a coaster.

I figured with all the Nero bashing going on... someone should say something positive about it.
    You have one home DVD player, and it works, so you are understandably satisifed.

Let me start by saying that I use Nero for VCD and am very happy with it.
    I also use it Nero to backup my important CD-Rs, so I do NOT hate Nero.

However, I have three home players and Nero 5.5.10 either works with one or the other two players, depending on version/setting of Nero used, but NOT all three.
    Stomp RecordNow Max burned discs play on all three players (using 'Data' disc, 'UDF' (NO Joliet, although that might work too) and the option 'Recognize VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS as per the DVD video specification').
    I will try Nero using UDF only and see what happens.

If I only owned the one or two of my three players that Nero does work with, and didn't have to change my settings, I would be happy.
    I am thankful that I happen to have more than one player, and therefore know there are issues.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well it is obvious that just about every post here agrees with what I've said about Nero all along.

@Veff, thanks for your info, as I said, it's not about having your DVD-R's play on a particular standalone, but more like MOST standalones, which is why the one or two posters here who claim Nero works perfectly for them everytime, will have to learn the hard way. Some people just need to learn the hard way to have it embedded in their brain. I think if a newbie comes to this forum and sees this post and sees 1 or 2 people who say Nero is the best and never fails..blah..blah..blah...while 20+ people realize that Nero has many flaws, and that RecordNowMax DOESN'T, then they will be grateful they will have saved plenty of time and money. @GandyMan, RecordNow Max is newer then Nero. Just because something hasn't been around as long doesn't mean it isn't as good or popular. I can give you thousands of examples from electronics to shoes to prove my point. How long was converse around before Nike came around, now where is converse now? Nike put them out of business. It's like a great sports coach or a world famous singer. You may be great at one time, but if you can't conform to the changes in the times, then you will fall off the map. The same thing will happen with Nero if Ahead doesn't get their act together. As far as i'm concerned, they can fix ALL their problems, and I will not use Nero again. Why would I when RecordNow Max works perfectly. People mainly know Nero because of the CD's they have burned. I too, agree that Nero has been great when burning cd's, however, I mainly used Roxio's Easy CD Creator Platinum, and never had a single problem burning ANY CD either. At any rate, this post isn't talking about burning CD's, it's about burning DVD's, and it's obvious that RNM is the best for the job.

@DonPedro, more people are using RNM and I still have not found ONE person who has had a legitimate problem. I know you posted a link where people "thought" they had problems with RNM, but after asking them a few questions and giving them advice, they have ALL said that RNM wasn't the problem, but rather, an error on their part somewhere along the line. I still encourage you or anyone to find someone that can honestly say that RNM has caused them coasters.

LONG LIVE RECORDNOW MAX!
    Quote Quote  
  3. defense, I am not saying that you are not correct. But there is also a lot of people that are happy with Nero and it works without any coaster as me. And I am not planning to upgrade to 5.5.10.0 to prove that you are right. I saw a lot of posts that people thought that Nero is burning wrong and problem was somthing else and I saw some posts where 5.5.10.0 works just fine. But I see more and more posts about problems with RecordNow. And yes... ususally result is that problem is not in it. I still believe that one of the reasons for not so many problems with RecordNow is because it is not used as much as Nero. But as always I might be wrong. I am not planning to search for real RecordNow issues and posting them here. It was just that one I found it (it was first one that I saw) and I thought that you might be interested. So... on the end... Let's burn with whatever works for us and be happy

BTW You can vote too
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by timg101
    I used Nero for several yeard burning CD-R with no problem but I do agree I think it has problems w/ DVD's. I managed to finally burn one DVD+RW and played ok on one player but none others. I burned a DVD+r and no luck at all! AHH! After reviewing everyones comments about RecordNow Max that seemed like the way to go. So I gave it a shot and so far no luck. Every time I try to burn a movie it spits out the disc and tells me to inset a blank one. It's a new disc. I've burned small amounts of data ok just to test it out but anything in the 3-4GB range it always tells me to put in a blank disk. Am I doing it wrong?
    Has anyone and ideas on this? TIA
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by defense
    Well it is obvious that just about every post here agrees with what I've said about Nero all along.

@Veff, thanks for your info, as I said, it's not about having your DVD-R's play on a particular standalone, but more like MOST standalones, which is why the one or two posters here who claim Nero works perfectly for them everytime, will have to learn the hard way. Some people just need to learn the hard way to have it embedded in their brain. I think if a newbie comes to this forum and sees this post and sees 1 or 2 people who say Nero is the best and never fails..blah..blah..blah...while 20+ people realize that Nero has many flaws, and that RecordNowMax DOESN'T, then they will be grateful they will have saved plenty of time and money. @GandyMan, RecordNow Max is newer then Nero. Just because something hasn't been around as long doesn't mean it isn't as good or popular. I can give you thousands of examples from electronics to shoes to prove my point. How long was converse around before Nike came around, now where is converse now? Nike put them out of business. It's like a great sports coach or a world famous singer. You may be great at one time, but if you can't conform to the changes in the times, then you will fall off the map. The same thing will happen with Nero if Ahead doesn't get their act together. As far as i'm concerned, they can fix ALL their problems, and I will not use Nero again. Why would I when RecordNow Max works perfectly. People mainly know Nero because of the CD's they have burned. I too, agree that Nero has been great when burning cd's, however, I mainly used Roxio's Easy CD Creator Platinum, and never had a single problem burning ANY CD either. At any rate, this post isn't talking about burning CD's, it's about burning DVD's, and it's obvious that RNM is the best for the job.

@DonPedro, more people are using RNM and I still have not found ONE person who has had a legitimate problem. I know you posted a link where people "thought" they had problems with RNM, but after asking them a few questions and giving them advice, they have ALL said that RNM wasn't the problem, but rather, an error on their part somewhere along the line. I still encourage you or anyone to find someone that can honestly say that RNM has caused them coasters.

LONG LIVE RECORDNOW MAX!
    I understand it has not been around as long as Nero and that was my point. I tell everyone I know to use RecordNow software due to the issues people are having. It is easy to see that more people use Nero than anyother burn program on the market. It ships with almost all new drives. Look at any place that sells CDR drives and look at what package it comes with. Thier is a problem with 5.5.10 but it effects some people and not others. As to say that recordnow is going to be the best for future recorders that is crazy. It might just be the other way around no one really knows until we find out what is the issue with Nero. I have used Nero in I do not know how many stand alones with no problem. What does this mean I do not know. But I do no that at this time for some reason it is not giving me trouble, so I just wanted to know what stand alones it does not work with so I can test them. I repair Electronics as a past time to help friends so they do not get ripped off by all the stores out thier. So I could see what it is that might be couseing this problem. Do not get mad I am saying yes thier is a problem but I like to solve them also. Have a THX day and Keep the message going so no one has to loss thier money with dud dvd-r+r.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by timg101
    Originally Posted by timg101
    I used Nero for several yeard burning CD-R with no problem but I do agree I think it has problems w/ DVD's. I managed to finally burn one DVD+RW and played ok on one player but none others. I burned a DVD+r and no luck at all! AHH! After reviewing everyones comments about RecordNow Max that seemed like the way to go. So I gave it a shot and so far no luck. Every time I try to burn a movie it spits out the disc and tells me to inset a blank one. It's a new disc. I've burned small amounts of data ok just to test it out but anything in the 3-4GB range it always tells me to put in a blank disk. Am I doing it wrong?
    Has anyone and ideas on this? TIA
    Start a new topic and I will try to help u. But we need more info on what u are doing, OS DVD drive Media things like this. Waiting to help u.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok, How do I start a new topic? - Kind of new at this. Here is my harware: Asus A7N266 MB, 512MB DDR, Windows XP Pro, Verbatim DVD+r/RW (i think it's really an NEC) 100GB HD, 70GB free. I am new to burning DVD's. I was using Nero and after trial and error I managed to finally burn a DVD and it worked in one of my DVD players but not the other. I thought Nero was the problem after reading through this forum but later I found where one player I have does not recognise DVD R or RW discs. I thought I would try RNM being it sounded like the way to go. I can burn regular CDR's ok and I burned some MP3's to a DVD ok. Whenever I try to burn a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder to a DVD it immediately spits the disc out with an error and tells me to put in a blank disc. The discs are brand new and never used. I assume it is just something I am doing wrong but have no idea what. I think it might be that RNM is looking for something in the VIDEO_TS folder that isn't there.
    If i'm in the wrong forum for this let me know. THANKS!!!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Both obviously are good programs that have worked for different people....I use Nero but I certainly dont care if some one else uses recordnow if it works for them. Like many people have always said if it aint broke dont fix it....but I certainly dont try to convince people either way.....try both if you want and use what works the best for you....
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by timg101
    Whenever I try to burn a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder to a DVD it immediately spits the disc out with an error and tells me to put in a blank disc.
    Post exact file names that you have in VIDEO_TS folder. And how did you get them ? If IfoEdit is involved, don't forget to press "Get VTS Sectors" button.
    Quote Quote  
  10. timg101

I assume you opened the wizard in RNM and clicked "make a data disc", insert a blank disc and hit next, drag or select files (VIDEO_TS) into the open window, hit next to burn and you should be done.

If it is rejecting your disc before the window opens (at the first step), then try a different brand media.
    Quote Quote  
  11. That is exactly how I did it. I will try some different media though. All the discs I have are Verbatim. They work ok if I burn misc. data files, mp3's, etc.. though. I would think it would be the burner that doesn't like the media and not the software. They work ok with Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by donpedro
    Whenever I try to burn a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder to a DVD it immediately spits the disc out with an error and tells me to put in a blank disc.
    Post exact file names that you have in VIDEO_TS folder. And how did you get them ? If IfoEdit is involved, don't forget to press "Get VTS Sectors" button.
    So timg101, Do you need help or not ? You don't have to answer if don't need help anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by timg101
    Ok, How do I start a new topic? - Kind of new at this. Here is my harware: Asus A7N266 MB, 512MB DDR, Windows XP Pro, Verbatim DVD+r/RW (i think it's really an NEC) 100GB HD, 70GB free. I am new to burning DVD's. I was using Nero and after trial and error I managed to finally burn a DVD and it worked in one of my DVD players but not the other. I thought Nero was the problem after reading through this forum but later I found where one player I have does not recognise DVD R or RW discs. I thought I would try RNM being it sounded like the way to go. I can burn regular CDR's ok and I burned some MP3's to a DVD ok. Whenever I try to burn a VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folder to a DVD it immediately spits the disc out with an error and tells me to put in a blank disc. The discs are brand new and never used. I assume it is just something I am doing wrong but have no idea what. I think it might be that RNM is looking for something in the VIDEO_TS folder that isn't there.
    If i'm in the wrong forum for this let me know. THANKS!!!

It is like donpedro said, we need to know what files are in the video_ts folder, if RNM finds an error it will not make the disk. When it sees a video_ts folder it tries to make it DVD compliant but if a problem it will not work and I think this might be your problem, could be wrong but are u using ifoedit, kinda need more info on what you did to get your video_ts folder. Hope to here from u soon so we can solve this for u.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm using a Philips dvd+rw burner

I have tried a lot of different version of nero and alot of different settings. And the movies works fine at some players(Sony,Philips), but don't play in other players (Samsung,Pioneer). If I use only UDF the movies will play fine in nearly all players, but it dosen't feel right only using UDF, because the original use UDF/iso.

So I tried Recordnow max today and yeah the movies burnt with recordnow max worked fine on all players I have tested so far! So I guess I will use Recordnow max for now on.......
    Quote Quote  
  15. Yes, I need all the help I can get and am greatful for anyone who can help me with this stuff. I will send a list of the files.
    Quote Quote  
  16. These are the files in the VIDEO_TS folder:
    VTS_07_0.BUP
    VTS_07_0.IFO
    VTS_07_0.VOB
    VTS_07_1.VOB
    VTS_07_2.VOB
    VTS_07_3.VOB
    VTS_07_4.VOB
    VTS_07_5.VOB

The movie is The Scorpion King ripped using Smart Ripper
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Since everyone else has thrown in theire 2 cents, I guess it's ok if I do. It is clear from reading this forum that there are many "Experts" out there that have much more experience than most of us. The problem I see is that I believe it is a waste of time and typing to praise or bash any version of software over the other. If you really want to help, use the facts in each case and try to help other find out what it "IS" that makes one work and not the other. It is clear a lot of people already own Nero, I've had it back from the orginal days before you could even buy a DVD burner. No one wants to spend additional $$$ if they can find a fix. and there is so much evidence that if you do things right in Nero, it will work. Not for everyone, since everyone has a different DVD player, media, and I'm sure it would be difficult to find 10 people that ripped their movie the same way. Hell, each movie is differnet and each one gets ripped and stripped so many ways, no wonder there are so many post to this forum.

I say we all try to work together and not waste time "Voting with our Keyboards" on which is the best,... and help each other out by trying to "Share" acurate information on what it takes to make it work.

I've seen some post from people that say RNM is so easy, all you have to do is just click click and it's done. In Nero, there are 5 selectioin in DVD mode, to bad there isn't a guide somewhere that would tell you what the 5 options are. In RNM, there is only one option, Create Data, and I would never look there since it is clear to everone else in the world that a DVD is not data, it is video. (but of course it is data, it is digital and all digital information is data).

So here is one last plea from a kind of beginner, lets stop the voting, and who cares if the poll says 25 to 102,... what is important for this forum is that people help other poeple, and instead of voting, we can describe what we use, how we used it, and how did it fail, in what kind of player, then I guarantee you there will be people that are help.

Again, I want to thank DonPedro for clearing up the issue about Nero version 5.5.9.10.0. Also I want to thank "Defense" for initially pointing out the problems. Finally I want to thank the many other people that have post constructive items in the forum. You many not know it but those of us who have ready them and taken the smallest suggestion or clue from them, have benefitted greatly.

Just think about it,... where would any of us be without this forum.
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by timg101
    These are the files in the VIDEO_TS folder:
    VTS_07_0.BUP
    VTS_07_0.IFO
    VTS_07_0.VOB
    VTS_07_1.VOB
    VTS_07_2.VOB
    VTS_07_3.VOB
    VTS_07_4.VOB
    VTS_07_5.VOB

Here it goes !!! That is your problem. You didn't author it correctly. You need :

VIDEO_TS.BUP ; IFO ; VOB
    and then probably
    VTS_01_0 and 1 ...5.BUP ; IFO ; VOB

Try to read sopme guides how to author when you rip just movie. My favorite one is Creating a DVD that contains just the main movie
    Quote Quote  
  19. I tried Nero again, and it worked. I changed the settings based on my own tests and suspicions rather than recommendations I had read on this webboard. I originally took the advice of everyone in this recent thread:
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=127624&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight...ysical&start=0
    The people posting there who were having success with Nero were all saying to use DVD-ROM UDF 1.02 (not ISO) for best compatibility and that it solved their compatibility problems. So logically, that's what I used, and it didn't work. However, I did some more experimenting on my own, and I found that the following settings created a working disc in Nero 5.5.9.17.0 that would play on my new Panasonic CP72:

DVD-ROM UDF/ISO
    Check ISO level 1
    Check ISO9660
    Uncheck Joliet
    Uncheck anything in "relax ISO restrictions"
    UDF 1.02

Defense posted
    use Nero 5.5.9.0 and select the following
    DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO)
    Under Multisession tab ...
    No Multisession
    I don't have an option for Multisession when I use DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) in Nero 5.5.9.17.0. That multisession tab is there in DVD-ROM ISO mode only, not in any of the other DVD options which include UDF. Are you sure it's there in your version when selecting UDF/ISO as you mentioned?

Anyway now, I've successfully burned disks with my DRU500A that would playback in my new Panasonic CP72 using the following programs:

RecordNow Max 4.5
    DVDXcopy 1.3
    DVD Decryptor
    Nero 5.5.9.17.0 (DVD-Rom UDF/ISO) - UDF1.02

And I've had a failures with:
    Nero 5.5.9.17.0 (DVD-Rom UDF) - UDF1.02

Based on the feedback of reading quite a few posts over the last couple months, I'm more comfortable with RecordNow Max 4.5 presending the greatest compatibility for playback on standalone. However, although it appears to use UDF/ISO9660 as reported by "media information", I don't know if it's using UDF 1.02 specifically. I just know it works well.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by timg101
    VTS_07_0.BUP
    VTS_07_0.IFO
    VTS_07_0.VOB
    VTS_07_1.VOB
    VTS_07_2.VOB
    VTS_07_3.VOB
    VTS_07_4.VOB
    VTS_07_5.VOB

It's too BIG!
    There you go. Assuming each VOB is about 1 GB you are trying to burn 6GB in a 4.39GB blank disk. I have ripped Scorpion and had to reencode it with CCE.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I have had luck with Nero for the first time with 5.5.10.0. I selected the DVD-ROM (UDF) and Selected 'Force DVD-Video compatibility mode (Required for XBox TM)' on the UDF tab. I created the 'AUDIO_TS' and 'VIDEO_TS' folders, copied the files to the VIDEO_TS folder, burned the disk and it works in my Pioneer. Until that option was added, my friend and I were never able to come up with a set of Nero options that would work in my Pioneer DVD player. So I for one think there is at least some improvement in Nero 5.5.10.0.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Thanks donpedro! I knew there was something I was missing. I looked at another DVD I had copied and it has those files there. The only DVD I have that is actually small enough to actually just copy it is a Beavis and Butt-Head DVD. I clicked on the link you mentioned (Creating a DVD that contains just the main movie) and it doesn't work. Is there anywhere else I can find it?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by lordjarjar
    VTS_07_0.BUP
    VTS_07_0.IFO
    VTS_07_0.VOB
    VTS_07_1.VOB
    VTS_07_2.VOB
    VTS_07_3.VOB
    VTS_07_4.VOB
    VTS_07_5.VOB

It's too BIG!
    There you go. Assuming each VOB is about 1 GB you are trying to burn 6GB in a 4.39GB blank disk. I have ripped Scorpion and had to reencode it with CCE.
    I looked at the properties of the files I ripped and it says 4.34GB. I used SmartRipper and selected movie only. Is that what I should do or do Backup or all Files?
    Quote Quote  
  24. OK, I think I am getting some of this now. Obviously if you rip entire DVD's they will be too big to fit on a DVDR/RW. So you have to strip out all the extra stuff so you have JUST the movie right? If so, how do you do that and also have the VIDEO_TS.IFO, VOB, and BUP files? I assume there is no easy click-click way to do it. Most of what I read so far sound like I need to use other programs to cut, chop, and strip stuff and then re-author it. In Smart Ripper there are all the chapters, Cells, Frames, and somewhere I heard something called VTS sectors that have be changed or something. Confusing to say the least! I don't suppose there is a simple program that will do all this? I'm new at this so pardon my stupidity. I know everything in this forum is mainly about everyones experiences burning DVD's w different programs. If I need to go elsewhere with these questions feel free to say so.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  25. timg101: You might want to do some research on the FAQ's on this site, then check out reencoding with tools such as CCE & TMPGEnc. DVD DECRYPTOR will select in "file mode" your main PGC for the movie, which are the VOBS you ripped. You have to manually select the other three or four files that DonPedro told you that you need. The problem is that with certain movies which are dual layered and where the main PGC is in a bitrate, such that you can only strip so much and still not be able to just burn. A movie like Scorpion King is an example. A movie such as Triple X which happens to be at a much lower bit rate, but about the same movie length, can be done the way you have been trying. It all depends, and is trial and error sometimes. As you become more savvy, you will know whether or not stripping will make any difference. Anyway, back to your movie. Scorpion King needs to be reencoded. I never made a DVD-R of Scorpion King, I actually didn't have a DVD BURNER at the time so I made an excellent looking SVCD on two CDR's. But what you will need to do is get TMPGEnc or CCE preferrably, and you will have to reencode the movie. Basically, in simple terms, it will shrink the movie file size down to where you can fit it on a DVD-R. However, if you want to keep the menu's or extra's you will have to do more work. I don't care about menu's and extras, and never watch them on my originals anyway. If you do care about them, then I suggest checking out the guides at www.doom9.net. I hope this helps. Good luck

I am editing this because I just noticed that you said the properties of that VIDEO_TS folder for Scorpion King are 4.34 GB'S, if that is the case, I don't think you can just use the main .IFO and VIDEO_TS file for the movie, you will need to create a new .IFO AND VIDEO_TS files with IFOedit. However, it may be possible if you don't have to strip anything to keep those main .IFO files. I have never done it that way. Maybe someone else can clarify.
    Quote Quote  
  26. It looks like web site www.doom9.org is currently down. Try my link later or you can just go to www.doom9.org and in "Guides" find DVD Gudie called "Creating a DVD that contains just the main movie".
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JasonK, Thanks for the great post. Good information that will cleary help others. Can you take the time to explain how you ripped your orginal movie, and then a little more detail on each of the porgrams you used to correctly create a good DVD+R. You mentioned;

RecordNow Max 4.5
    DVDXcopy 1.3
    DVD Decryptor
    Nero 5.5.9.17.0 (DVD-Rom UDF/ISO) - UDF1.02

For example,.. what steps did you use in RecordnowMax, etc. If these worked for you, then this will work for others,.... if they can figure out what you did.

Thanks in advance.
    "Technology",...It's what keeps us all moving forward.
    Quote Quote  
  28. With Nero and RecordNow Max, my VIDEO_TS files were ripped with DVD decryptor, demuxed & saved as d2v file in DVD2AVI, reencoded with CCE with aid of VFAPI frame serving (so it would fit on 1 DVD), and pulldown with pulldown.exe (I'm NTSC.) I then used Maestro for compiling the final VIDEO_TS files and importing chapters I extracted with chapter extracter. I did not keep menus, subs, or extra audio streams.

Nero - My last post says how I configured when it worked and failed.

RecordNow Max 4.5 - configured to "close" the disc, with or without Joliet didnt make a difference, make sure the box is checked for "VIDEO_TS" and "AUDIO_TS" in the options.

DVDxcopy 1.3 - Ripped and burned to 2 DVD within the program using the the default burning engine and choosing UDF/ISO for burning format.

DVD Decryptor - ISO read rip and ISO write within the program, used mode1/2048 (the default) and all other defaults.
    Quote Quote  
  29. OK, sounds like I got more learning to do. That's always the case. I'll get it eventually. I appreciate everyones help, suggestions and comments. I'll keep reading posts just to keep up w/ what's going on but wont post anything until I make any new breakthroughs or have more ?'s. Thanks again!
    Quote Quote