VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. When will the double layer disk hit the market? When these disk is available on the market to "decent prices", it will be a dream for us how backup dvds. Then you just use dvddecrypter iso read/write and you have a complet copy of your dvd including everything in 1 hour. A dream!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Don't hold your breath... Development of dual-layer recorders were stopped over a year ago because of the inability to overcome major technical difficulties.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Dual layer recordable discs will probrably never become a reality, particulary with the blue-ray format in the pipeline.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you guys mean that there will never be 9,4 gb dvd available for burning. Well I have allready seen these dvd cost about 9 $ each (DURADISC 9.4GB)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, what we are saying is that there will probably never be an 8.5GB dual layer disk available. We are all aware of the availability of double sided 9.4GB recordables - I even occasionally use them.
    Quote Quote  
  6. ok..
    a dvd-r of 4.7 is available
    a dvd-r of 4.7 x 2 = 8.4 is allready available via pioneer !
    go to there site !
    Quote Quote  
  7. So why not use those double sided 9.4GB dvd? What are the disadvantages using these disks? (maybe a dummy question, but can someone tell me)
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    espen: You must flip the disc if watching a movie that spawns over both sides.....like using two vcd/svcds again ....and they are much more expensive...

goldenaxe: double sided, not dual layer.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Are we then stuck with double sided (may as well swap media anyway) until blue laser comes out then?

Is there no other solution on the horizon such as dual layer recordable dvds, or some greater capacity single layer recordable dvd that will allow us to backup dvd-9 onto a single disk w/o swapping or turning over the media.
    -azazel
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by azazel
    Are we then stuck with double sided (may as well swap media anyway) until blue laser comes out then?
    Yes
    Originally Posted by azazel
    Is there no other solution on the horizon such as dual layer recordable dvds, or some greater capacity single layer recordable dvd that will allow us to backup dvd-9 onto a single disk w/o swapping or turning over the media.
    No
    Quote Quote