VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. [quote="mpb"][quote="bumblebe"]
    Originally Posted by mpb
    Ritek cakebox generic media burns at 2x. Under old firmware they would not burn properly at all. These are $0.80 discs and I usually buy them.

Huh! Is that the G03? No one advertises it as burning at 2x so that's pretty good news. Where did you buy it from?

And isn't the new FW 1.21...?
    Purchased from PC Club, a west coast chain of shops. I don't know if this is truly the "G03" but I can describe the discs: they are silver tops, no print, with very dark saturated purple bottoms, much thicker color than the Apple discs have. They look sort of like the "O-Ridata" gold'n'purples except not gold and with no label-side etching.

It was $39.99 for a 50-pack cake box.

Upon further testing, they burn perfectly 100% of the time, but about one in four of them reverts to 1x burning. This is consistent with both PrimoDVD and Ulead.
    Thanks for the info. That chain is not in California right? I'm in San Jose and haven't heard of it. I'll look it up in the Yellow pages.
    It would be great if you could run some ID tests

using the info provided here http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediasearch=&dvdmediaselect=&dvdmediadvdridsearch=r...search2=Search

but I still think I'll pick up the G03's since there are most likely those you have considering the G01's can't work at 2x and the G04's work at 4x. PrimoDVD is a bit confusing because it says it burns at 4x but it's burning at 1x with my STI's.

Thanks for the info anout the TDK's. I've seen them too, but they're more expensive than the Ritek 4x's so I've ruled them out.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Cendyne (Pioneer) 105 has been perfect for me. Zero coasters so far and it works in my Panasonic player, my Apex player, and my XBox. I would recommend it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry to not make new post but was waiting for some new DVD-R.
    Just had them. Datasafe 1X 2X(Ritek dye) and Traxdata.
    Just had time to burn one traxdata in 1X and burning was ok.

I ll look later the Datasafe.

I hope Ritek will offer soon in England some 2X and 4X media.
    It seems some 4X Ritek and Traxdata are ok (it seems) but we only see them on US shops. And impossible to buy them from France because terrible taxes.

Actually only solution is burn in 1X or find a way to have Verbatim or Pioneer DVD-R... if you rich.
    Quote Quote  
  4. mage813, how much are blank DVDs in France?

Anyway I just upgraded to 1.21 and using the PC Club Ritek's (need to run info test) and it's burning at x1 in Prassi
    Quote Quote  
  5. Have anyone seen the pricing RITEK 4X pricing at http://www.atdiscount.com/community/cdr/index/3/200/1226/product/20613/sku I've been using them for the last two weeks and have not had a problems and they are really RITEK.

DVD ER
    Quote Quote  
  6. hum...whats' the point of your post. They sell 25 for $2.69 a piece which is more expensive than almost anywhere else...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Ok the PC Club Ritek's (RITEKG..03) do NOT burn at 2x on my A05 upgraded to 1.21. To make waters worse the discs feel much less solid than the STI's I bought at my local store last week...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Bought a cake pack at PC Club here local in WA, Federal Way .

They are cheaply made, but I picked out the best ones I could (the edge of the DVD-R's have bubbles or chipped like). They arent that deep purple that everyone is talking about its about as purple as the Apple DVD-R NOT as purple as the Memerex (CRAP :P) You better buy labels cause these are bare tops.

But hell for like 87 cents a piece for a 1x burn its ok for me ^_^ ( Does not burn at 2x speed) I have fw 1.0 affraid of 1.21 dont want to **** things up!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bumblebe
    mage813, how much are blank DVDs in France?

Anyway I just upgraded to 1.21 and using the PC Club Ritek's (need to run info test) and it's burning at x1 in Prassi

And it appears I may have spoken too soon, as well. Those Riteks were burning at 2x in most cases, occasionally dropping down to 1x, and in the week or so since I made that post, I'd say about 9 out of 10 of them now burn at 1x. This is disturbing. It shows either a vast inconsistency in the yield quality from the Ritek chemical plant on older batches of blanks, or some sort of tricky bug or glitch in the 105's firmware.

I lean toward the former since I have spent most of the past few days burning from a fresh batch of esbuy's 4x Riteks (25 for $51) and they have been PERFECT - no exceptions. Not a single problem of any kind and full speed burning. They look identical to PC Club's cake pack blanks, leading me to believe those were Ritek "G03" discs as you folks have described.

Well, I guess for eighty cents I can't be too fussy.
    -MPB/AZ
    Quote Quote  
  10. It seems like the pioneer wasnt made to burn at 2X, No media seems to work, i guess Ill forget about 2X and just wait till the 4X media goes down in price $2 is a little steep Ill wait in 6 months they'll be under $1.50 i can live with that.

Ive 30 burned movies using Riteks at 1X with no problems, I love my Pioneer even if it doesnt burn at 2X to well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Princo DVD-R Media
    Works great on pioneer 104, is up to 4x capeable, only 3 bucks a disk (at the time) from e-bay in pack of 100
    well, the only thing that was not bull$h17 was the princo part
    they really were princos
    anyway, 87 successful burns (1 x only) they have almost ALL failed within 6 months ("Laser Rot", I think the dye is leaking, but it could be the glue layer distorting the image, reguardless of the cause the disk is unreadable and appears very 'Fuzzy' at the outter part).

Mamma says Princo's are da DEVIL!
    Quote Quote  
  12. I just got some Ritek G03's from rima and have been burning them at 2x with the new hacked firmware without any problem. I've probably done about 20 disks, most of them all the way to the edge, and all that I have played so far on my standalone have been perfect. $1.10 a disk at 2x and very reliable, I really can't complain, and I don't plan on changing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Quote Quote  
  13. DVD-ON 4x DVD-R burns on Cendyne 105 (1.30 firmware) at 4x everytime, and plays on Apex 660 perfectly everytime! 15 minute full disk burns, with no coasters. Twenty so far.

http://www.supermediastore.com/dvd-on-4xdvdr-blank-media.html
    Quote Quote