VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey, just recently i got a mac thinking it would be best for editing movies.

I have problems finding information and programs for macs. So need your professional help guys.

my source footage is dv-ntsc , i put that into toast vcd option, it converts to mpg and burns.
    i end up with very bad quality.

Can anybody tell me what fit n crop options do on toast when converting to mpg? Why is my vcd so bad?

maybe i need to chance source to vcd mpeg frame size? or use a different source and export with different codec. i dont have a clue but my friend made a vcd on pc and it looks alright. little bit blocks now and then which i dont mind. Someone help please make me happy[/code]
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by vcdhowto
    Hey, just recently i got a mac thinking it would be best for editing movies.
    It is

I have problems finding information and programs for macs.
    You must not have searched then. versiontracker.com, pure-mac.com, there is tons of software out there. They are the first ones listed in a search of google.

my source footage is dv-ntsc , i put that into toast vcd option, it converts to mpg and burns. i end up with very bad quality.
    Did you start with a good source? Are you using the high-quality setting for Toast Export?

maybe i need to chance source to vcd mpeg frame size? or use a different source and export with different codec.
    Are you refering to the DV codec? I often find that DV is a little blurry, I use Motion JPEG A. It does compress, but the picture is much sharper than DV I think.

i dont have a clue but my friend made a vcd on pc and it looks alright. little bit blocks now and then which i dont mind.
    PC = Crap
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Also, since you're dropping your file onto Toast, Toast only makes standard VCDs, and VCD is bad quality when compared to SVCD, DVD and DV. Your best option to retain your DV's quality is to make a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think that even compared with other methods of making standard VCDs, Toast is one of the worst ways. Try using ffmpegX, or mediapipe (burn with Toast).
    Quote Quote  
  5. toast's VCD codec is crap..i don't know how they get away with it.

try encoding your mpeg in another application first, then burning it in toast. that way you can adjust the bitrate and other settings to make it the quality that you want it. good luck!
    Quote Quote