VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What do you use to author your DVD's ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. I have only looked at under $100 video applications here is what I have found;

I use MGI Videowave 5 for video processing, DVD authoring and burning. The video processing is functional for pasting together video clips with transitions, still shots and text effects. You can do some color, contrast, brightness modifiications to the video too. It also has a video mixer with chromakeying capabilities. I have not used these features much so I can't say much more about them. It does have a well-known audio/video synch problem with longer clips like over 10min or so. There are some workarounds but it's a limitation.

DVD layout is limited in terms of styles and text but is OK for basic home-brew videos I'm doing. No DVD video encoding rate controls which I prefer. DVD Video quality is OK not great and I have found it sensitive to other installed components that took some tweaking to optimize.

I have tried the Pinnacle Studio 8 demo and found it to be OK functionality wise. It was a fairly buggy app that crashed just about every time I used it. I guess that is why they have the autosave feature activated as a default. The demo did not allow MPEG2 encoding and DVD burning which was a disappointment. I would think the real Studio 8 app would be more stable.

I also have Nero Vision Express which is a real spartan app that pastes clips onto the DVD layout. The MPEG2 encoder is not that impressive but I have heard the latest patch allows import of MPEG2 clips. One major flaw I have with Nero VE is the DVD's don't have any audio playback on my computer and DVD player. However the DVD's do play audio on my PS2. I guess this app needs more cooking before its done.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can anyone tell me which DVD authoring programs do not
    re-encode my TMPGEnc MPEG-2 files?

Ulead DVD Workshop
    Ironic, I just read another post from someone saying that every mpeg2 he ripped with DVDx 2.0 was reencoded by DVD Workshop with took a few hours on a P4. That also causes quality loss.

Was done with 1.2. The 1.3 doesnt' update the trial version.

Others says they have tried the tips, but that it still reencodes. Others indicate it varies, but some say it never reencode. Here are the tips:

Tip: encode with TMPGEnc and set higher bitrate on customize option of make disc step

Tip: Don't ever trim your video title inside Workshop .

Tip: Dont select to convert/encode noncompliant mpeg2 file.

Tip: Don't use high bitrates. Try around 7mbs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have created many DVD's using workshop, versions 1.0 and 1.3, with mpeg2 files created from TMPGEnc. Workshop will not reencode if you know what you are doing. Anyone that says that workshop reencodes compliant mpeg2's created by TMPGEnc, are doing something wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It's easy to say someone is doing something wrong, and WHAT are they doing wrong? I provided those tips to help. They apparently are already using the tips I gave though. Perhaps they are using other parameters they prefer to use that someone else is not using. But who is the blame? The user for wanting those settings or the software for not accepting them when they are mpeg2 compliant? Check out the DVD Workshop Tips threads for more information. Also, if someone is using 1.2, then your results with 1.0 and 1.3 would not necessarilly apply, although I would like to assume it would since it's the in-between release.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I am not saying anyone is to blame. what I am saying is that it is possible to author DVD's without reencoding using dvd workshop.
    Quote Quote  
  6. How about all the rest of the great authoring programs out there?!

:if some one replys ill list a bunch, and vote for them too.
    T2K
    Quote Quote  
  7. If there is something else that you use, then please give it a mention. Polls are limited to 10 items, so I included what I felt were the 10 most popular PC packages.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Surprised no one mentioned the only competition for SCENERIST...
    this is the SONIC CREATOR 2.1.7 runs on OS 9.2

This is a fullly pro platform and the software won't run less you have a SONIC mega-bucks PCI encoder card

This is the best platform I've authored on

The Home market has nothing really good to offer yet. Sonics products based on CREATOR (DVDit and MY DVD) are really buggy in their Windows implememtation. MyDVD works better , but lacks support for anthing non-basic.
    REEL DVD and Maestro are really the only choices for MIDRANGE environment for authoring...and one isn't even available!

Really awaiting the ADOBE product!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I use Dazzle's DVD-Complete

-Mike
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVD Movie Factory as it's a delight to use for a relative novice such as myself.
    I even use it now simply to burn dvd-r's (without menu's and chaptuers etc.) as I was getting error messages from my burner software of choice -Nero.
    I'd be interested to learn how DVD Workshop compares with MovieFactory.
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Most Ulead replies talk about WS. I have used Ulead movie factory but I have had problems with thumbnails. Changing the display thumbnail is not a problem with mepg-1 VCD files, but, changing thumbnails on mpeg-2 DVD files causes the program to create an invalid page fault in module MSVCRT.DLL, or in kernel32.dll. I've downloaded the MS updates for my win98se but the problem still persists. The mpeg-2 files are created from avi using tmpgenc. Any help on this?

Sounds like WS is a better product.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote  
  12. Pinnacle Studio 8 is probably the fastest and easiest to use, and plenty of power for most users.

It can capture, import, export, render, encode, compile, burn, output ALL within a simple easy to use program.

You can configure it not to reencode imported mpeg2 files if they are compatible with the project and you don't edit them again.

It does author VCD, SVCD, and DVD.

It has a built-in mpeg encoder as well as various other output formats.

It does motion menus, motion buttons, etc.

Also includes full capture and editing capabilities including advanced 3D effects with Hollywood FX (which is upgradable to the Pro version.)

Does background rendering of Hollywood FX using 3D acceleration capabilities of your card.

Built in smartsound, voice-over. There have been some updates, and is pretty stable now.

All that for only about $79.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Been using Nero Vision Express (latest version) with some success and other problems. The IFOedit audio workaround is annoying.

I just bought Dazzle DVD Complete. Any opinions about the Dazzle program? Haven't loaded it yet.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody,

I'm trying to backup DVD movie with IMPRESSION 2.2, and I have no lack. I' making m2v movie with AC3 5.1 sound and two subtitles:
    1. Pinacle IMPRESSION 2.2 : I like him most because you can use Photoshop and make beautifull menus. I'm putting 2 subtitle streams and I have problem:
    - When I compile everithing, when I check finished DVD I can turn on only 1 subtitle stream and the second one is not visible. When I recompile again and change stream place I'm geting same thing. I can turn on only first stream. If somebody can help me I will be very greatful.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I started off mainly using Spruce UP...then moved to DVD Workshop. I now use DVD Maestro but still go back to WS when I don't want to spend a couple of hours making a nice menu. I have also ised IFOEdit and tried a couple of the others....

I use Maestro mainly now as it is the only software that can create a DVD that my Philips player will play. All the others seem to do a half-arsed job at creating the IFO files and my player either spits them out or "thinks" the DVD has a movie of length 0:00:00. (I have an XMS player that plays everything but it looks ugly and has no LCD on the front :P...cheap chinese crap )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use ULEAD DVD Workshop for quick jobs. It is the fastest way I can have a video stream onto a disk for proofing. Very fast menu configurations and also records directly to the SONY DRU-500.

It does have severe limitations for "serious" projects, however. Does not appear to be able to handle multiple audio tracks or alternate subtitles.

For that, I reccomend scenarist. I agree with previous posts that this is hands-down the best application. However, someone at Sonic or Daikin should fire the person who wrote the manual. It is written for people who already have mastered the program.

I am currently trying to put two different language tracks on a project and failing misserably. I have succeeded in creating a silent movie and also to have the DVD ignore the alternate languages. I know what I have to do, but can't make the program do it!!!

I have also used IFOEDIT. This little bitch may be the most powerful freeware tool out there. No manual, some guides pitched towards ripping and loosing weight on DVD-9s but you can actually create a simple project with it. I personally use it as a "hex-editor" on the IFOs, to verify that scenarist has actually done what it's supposed to...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    can some one recommend a good freeware authoring program for using with mpeg2 files.

dlb.
    Quote Quote  
  18. I use DVD Workshop and just finished my first DVD with custom motion menu, backgroud music and motion thumbnails. Love it. So far I am able to make DVD with 1 hr of video.
    Question 1:
    At the finish-Make disc step, I tried to use the Low quality-120 min output setting to burn disc. It spend about 3 hrs transcoding the video, audio and menu. When it got to step 4, the message "compiling media and navigation data" flashed and then I got an error message "failed to convert title". What went wrong? Do I need to customize the settings?

Question 2:
    What are the proper settings to capture 2 hrs of video from SVHS to DVD within DVDWorkshop? Do I use 720x480 for input source? Even with the MPEG-plugin the quality wasn't good.

I am really frustrated that I can't get 2 hrs of video onto 1 DVD. Please help.
    ~Sleepless in NY~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm actually looking at taking the next step in authoring software and felt compelled to read this thread before making the "duh, newbie" post that causes everyone to point me to this thread. So yes, I've read it

I had to actually buy Ulead MovieFactory as I bought my burner with a FireWire enclosure and was not packaged with any authoring software (may be why I got the drive so cheap?). MovieFactory is a great beginner program for getting simple videos onto a DVD quickly.

So now I'm looking for an upgrade. I keep hearing how great Maestro is but now I see it isn't for sale anymore. I'll try to find a copy if I can. Otherwise I see Ulead WS and the new Pinnacle program as being what I need. But I'm actually doing film projects now and need something that can support 5.1 and DTS audio, as well as motion menus, slide shows, and maybe even DVD-ROM support. Any suggestions? I also need a digital mixing program for Dolby and DTS, or do I have to rely on my analog mixer board solely for that?

~Garrett
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hey, does anybody have anything to report on Sonic Foundry's DVD Architect? They're the folks that make Sound Forge, Acid, Vegas and CD Architect. I bought CD Architect back when it was on version 1 and I use it for almost all my audio CD projects. So I'm real curious about DVD Architect.
    -nickel
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ALL,
    I keep going back to Dazzle DVD Complete, and have tried many others, [although not as much since Instant Copy's Release].
    I have however found out how to make the program pretty much custom now that the Scripting Manual has been released. Cheap, quick and easy, just my game,
    By the way, don't we do this poll every few weeks, or is it just me? 8)
    (;-{> Dd
    Strength and Honor
    www.dvd9to5.com
    www.dvd9to5.com/forum/
    "For every moment of truth there's confusion in life"
    Black Sabbath/Ronnie James Dio
    Quote Quote  
  22. Doggiedaddy,

This isn't a new poll. You have told us three times that you use Dazzle DVD complete!

Anyways, I agree with you. I also use Dazzle DVD complete. I haven't found anything better for the $100 price range. Ulead DMF 2.0 falls short in comparaison.
    Quote Quote  
  23. My DVD's have no menu and just a .m2v and a .WAV dropped onto the "first play".

So I use Sonic DVDit! because it's the only one that lets me do that, although I don't really like it.

Others claim to be able to do it but were very unstable when I tried their demo versions.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been using DVD Maestro and enjoy the unlimited freedom to create just about anything imaginable. I do, however, have a need on occasion to use something will a less intimidating interface. Also, menus in Maestro are not the most intuitive feature. I was able to demo Ulead DVDWS 1.x and have a few questions for the experts of this application:

1. How does it handle CCE encoded .MPV files (convert or import as is)? Some applications try to re-encode which invariably leads to the project going over the 4.3 GB limit.
    2. Can it do ripped .AC3 files at 256k? I know DVDMS will not do these. One must go to .WAV for MP3 which kills the size of the project
    3. Can it import chapter points via text file (ala Maestro)? This is a great feature!
    4. Can it import .VOB files natively created in another package? I think DVDMS is able to do this.

thanks-
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi guys,

I use Ulead DVD Workshop.
    If you are interested on discussions about it, look for the topic :
    "DVD Workshop Tips & Tricks" on this forum.

There is a new product coming out soon :

http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/index.html

I bet that I (and many others) will move to this product very shortly after it is released. Why do I say this ? Because I use MMB (Multimedia Builder) from the same company for 2 years now. The excellent forums, the supoort from this company and the cheap price of it's products are great reasons.
    I am sure that in the near future, DVDLab will have all the features that we only see on high cost software such as Scenarist and others.

Check for yourself.
    Time will tell if I am right or not.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I think that most users want a dvd tool that can do it all(capture, encode, author and burn). But DVDLab seems to be very promising for us that wants a dvd authoring only tool with lots of features and it looks very simple to use also. And only for $79....a bit cheaper than scenarist...
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lula1
    I would like to invite all DVDWS fans to also participate on Ulead's DVDWS forum. Hey, we really need to help each other...
    Hey Lula... do you have a link for the DVDWS forum? I haven't been able to find it. Also, may I email you? I've tried everything you've suggested to try and stop DVDWS from reencoding my mpeg2s but nothing has worked so far

Cheers.

Bombart.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ignore me.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

Baldrick : Yes, what I look for is a DVD authoring tool with lots of features. For capturing and encoding there already exist pretty good software out there.
    Did not understand your last post ??? ( ignore me ???? )

bombart : link to DVDWS forum is
    http://news.ulead.com:8080/%7Ewebutilities

If you would like to e-mail me : luizcp@centroin.com.br
    Quote Quote