VideoHelp Forum

Poll: What do you use to author your DVD's ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use DVD Workshop . I still keep version 1.0 installed since the updates 1.2 and 1.3 introduced many bugs which were not present on 1.0.

I have been dealing with this software for some 4 months now, and I managed to do a lot of stuff with it ...

I would like to invite all DVDWS fans to also participate on Ulead's DVDWS forum. Hey, we really need to help each other...

As the product lacks some features ( menu transitions, for instance ) we strive to develop some workarounds.

Some features are not well known by many users.

I suggest we make a sticky thread with tips and tricks for DVDWS.

I heard about a book coming out next year. Don't know if it will bring usefull (new) information ...

TIP No. 1 : "AFTER TITLE" options : besides going back to menu or playing next title, you can JUMP TO SPECIFIC MENU. That comes in handy for many workarounds ...

QUESTION 1 : Why do we have to use 768 x 576 images for backgrounds (menus ) ? That is what Ulead recommends on their web site.

Regards to all of you and merry Christmas.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm trying to use Scenarist, but it's sooo hard to teach yourself how to use it. I've also used ReelDVD and SpruceUp. None of these programs seem to be able to handle DVD-SVCDs because they either crash or give errors. I think if I got the hang of it, Scenarist would definately get my vote. I've also tried MyDVD and DVDit, but they seemed too simple for anything that I wanted to do. If anyone knows of a good authoring tool that can handle DVD-SVCDs and can do menus and things well, let me know. Until then, I'm gonna stick with Scenarist and prolly try out DVD Workshop. Peace.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The best i think at the moment is dvdws, I can do pretty much every thing i need to do, including motion menu and motion buttons. and i can use just my divx straight up and let ws do everything and it gets remarkabley good results, every other program ive used, i have to convert first with tmpgenc or cce but WS gives me results just as good, if not better.

DVD MAESTRO
    This gives me more flexibiltiy which is needed for some of the dual audio anime i have and it has so far accepted all my mpeg1s so i can make huge dvds. But unfortunatley it wont accept any of the mpeg2 files i convert with cce(any version), if it could this would be the program of choice because with cce, im getting exellent quality at a conversion speed of 3 - 4X.

Scenarist NT
    way to complicated to learn and doom9 guide sucks, every thing i need i can do with maestro or DVDWS

DVDit PE, sonic MYDVD
    the worst piles of shit ive ever come across, i have never got ne of these programs to compile a dvd no matter what sort of mpeg i put in.

SPRUCE UP
    if u have dvd maestro theres no point using this program.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hands-down, Scenarist. I've tried DVDWS, Spruce-up, Maestro, ReelDVD and like Scenarist the best. Maybe try using ReelDVD to get the feel of Sonic's interfaces?

I found the biggest breakthrough in learning Scenarist for me was figuring out the DVD structure - VTS's, Titles, PGC's - and how they work relative to each other. The other was I started out using ReelDVD to create my "basic" project, then creating a Scenarist script and importing it in. That allowed me to see how Reel was structuring the project.

For me, it was the power and flexibility of Scenarist that wins me over. I feel I can do *anything* I want with it. Multiple VTS, AC3 sound, bit compares, built-in subbing, multiple angle streams, the whole nine yards. But, as this is a professional-grade tool that's sold with a training course, count on a few weeks of playing with it to "get" it if you're going it alone.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is going back a bit in the line of things here, but I just wanted to say that I use DVD Maestro and this program is awesome, and it works very well with XP, I've had the software for a long time and I'm aware that it isn't produced anymore but I would urge anyone to try to find a way to get it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hope it's alright to interupt with a question here..
    Can all of the programs mentioned here also be used to author vcd's? Or are most of them strictly for dvd?

I am aware that Unlead Movie Factory can be used to create very nice looking menu and chapters very easily for standard vcd and svcd, because I've used it . But what about all the others?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Guest
    Only uleads workshop and moviefactory supports vcds(and svcds).
    Quote Quote  
  8. So far i had work with Spruce Up and try a little bit of scenarist. Of course Scenarist is better but my PC has only W98 (When i try to install XP it stuck after it reboot), so SpruceUp was the only choice... BUT i admit it sucks... When i use 10 video files there is always a read error... Any program or way to use Maestro or Scenarist in W98?
    Quote Quote  
  9. I use DVD workshop as well. I found that v1.2 and v1.3 were buggy but I liked the new option to not re-encode previously encoded files. So I just work around the bugs.

DWS - as mention above, I like the ability to create menus from scratch or from a template. Of course, motion menus, VCD support and photo slideshow support is nice.

Sonic DVDit - Liked the trial version but it was slow to convert and it lacked the motion menus.

DVD complete - Nice program. Allows you to create Hollywood style DVDs but it is very limited in menu customization. You can't place things where you want. Also, it encodes the files as you add them to the project so you must wait as you create instead of waiting all at once at the end.

Spruceup - nice but limited, I don't use it much anymore.

Has anyone used NeoDVD v4.0? Their latest version creates DVD directly from an input video source. In other words, no rendering time. It is real time video to DVD disc. (albiet, no menus)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I would like to invite all DVD Workshop users to participate on the topic "DVD WORKSHOP TIPS & TRICKS" on this forum.

That is the best way for us to exchange knowledge and workarounds for some limitations of DVDWS.

Join in ...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hello everyone-I am interested in purchasing a more advanced DVD authoring program, they seem a little pricey, so I'm not jumping right in. I've used MyDVD, that came with my Sony DRU500A(great drive so far) and Ulead MovieStudio. I like Ulead products, I have a number of their programs, I would tend to make Ulead MovieFactory my first choice, but is seems pretty expensive, I'm wondering if it's worth about $300. The MyDVD was terrible, was unable to complete a single DVD. RecordNow, Nero, Ulead VideoStudio6 DVD PlugIn and MovieStudio all work well. I don't make mass quanities of DVDs, so three hundie is a lot.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a world not heard from I now use Dazzle DVD Complete exclusively Great Program (EASY)only gripe no .ac3 but does a good job on .wav DVD 9 to 5 sounds still very good on my stand alone and system. Tried a lot of the others with not much success.

www2.whidbey.net/mnms/
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pinnacle Impression PRO 2.2

Program is VERY hard to use, but looks awesome when finished authoring.

Tips for this prog: Import ONLY 48Khz WAV or 192Kbps AC3 audio ONLY, Import 720x480(for NTSC) or 720x576(PAL) mp2 video >8Mbit/s ONLY, NTSC or PAL stills in 24-bit BMP ONLY, Be smart, use Photoshop or Paint Shop for .psd layered menus ONLY.

Impression lets you import anything, then chokes on build with stupid meaningless errors, use the above formats ONLY!!!

Other than that, menuing is futile, but has all the options (motion, hilight, truecolor, audio etc.) laying out project is timeline and very simple. buttons can be moved around easilly, subtitles are a pain, but work, multiple video angles/language tracks no problem. Great package if you have 5 solid days to mess with it, you may never go back...

I am going to try ulead DVD workshop though, seems everyone likes it best.
    t1/\/\ |>.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Hey, I have used 3 programs and 1 demo

Sonic DVDit se -
    Ok program burns well created fine dvds but no motion menus. The most advanced thing you can do is add background music! Wow. I use it because it came bundeld

Pinnacle Express -
    Well what can I say this is for people that don't edit. Find a theme put in your movies type text and your done. You can't even move buttons in this BEGINNERS (only) PROGRAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    After using dvd ws and dvdit this program disgusted me!

Minerva Immpresion - I can't figure this one out came bundeled in my capture card. I really don't get it! You have to make your menu in photoshop or paint before you can start. Verry strange!

(Demo) DVD workshop-
    Sweet program really like it. Steeeeeeeeeeep Price tag! can you make subtitles or alternate audio tracks though! Would love to get it. One gripe didn't seem very stable!. But it was only a demo!

My birthday is coming up.
    I would love to compare Workshop and DVD complete with their very specialest features. A little help please!
    President unscripted studios
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All
    A new world heard from, I use Dazzle DVD Complete and it works great @ just under $100 bucks. I realize it was not a vote option and I don't hear much about it from other forum users but I love it, I don't know why it has not caught on much. I tried a lot of others but this works for me very well. Easy and cheap but still makes DVD you could not tell from the original if done correctly.

DVD 9 to 5
    www2.whidbey.net/mnms
    Quote Quote  
  16. Is it true that you have no menu control? You can't move the buttons and such? How stable is it?
    Quote Quote  
  17. I use Ulead VideoStudio 6.x. I create the MPEG2 file using TMPGenc and then export the file to the Ulead DVD Wizard for menu creation and then select create files option to create the ready to burn files. Then use Nero to burn to DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by test
    Only uleads workshop and moviefactory supports vcds(and svcds).
    The Dazzle product also creates VCD and something they call cDVD on CD.

Roxio says it burns CDs, but I dunno if it's VCD format.
    -Richard M. Hartman
    hartman@onetouchsys.com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After doing a little bit on editing with various programs, I am also looking for the best "affordable" authoring software.
    So far I have tried:
    -Sonic My DVD: came bundled with my Pioneer A04. The result is pretty frustrating and does not leave much freedom.
    - Ulead Movie Factory: It is like moving to a new world and yet it is still pretty limited.

I was hoping to read more from people who have used Pinnacle Impression DVD - pro, which seems much more like what I need: more than 1 sound track, more flexibility about menus, audio options...

Anybody heard abour Adobe forthcoming authoring product: Adobe DVD Primer http://www.adobe.com/motion/primers.html . I was hoping it would fit well with avis edited under Premiere.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by Sugar
    After doing a little bit on editing with various programs, I am also looking for the best "affordable" authoring software.
    So far I have tried:
    -Sonic My DVD: came bundled with my Pioneer A04. The result is pretty frustrating and does not leave much freedom.
    - Ulead Movie Factory: It is like moving to a new world and yet it is still pretty limited.

Roxio VideoWave Movie Creator is $49 bucks (after rebate, if you buy it by tomorrow; $79 otherwise) and is probably much like Movie Factory. There is a brief review of it on the PC Mag web site along w/ a couple other options (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,633938,00.asp).

(PCMag really seems to like the Pinnacle products in their reviews so far . . .)
    -Richard M. Hartman
    hartman@onetouchsys.com
    Quote Quote  
  21. I have been using Sonic DVDit!, which came with my burner. I am not happy with it though. Adding chapters is a big pain. I keep getting NavStructWarning messages for no reason, even for a simple 'the video is first play' with no chapters, menus etc. The resulting DVDs play okay on my Apex AD1500 but freeze up when fast forwarding at 4X/6X/8X. They will not play on my Sony NS715.

I recently started using Ulead DVD Workshop and have been very pleased with the results. Chapters are easy to add. It creates the DVD folders much faster that DVDit!. The resulting DVDs play on both my players and fast forward works perfectly.

I have not had any luck with Spruce Up. It complains my mpg video file's header is corrupted even though the other programs have no problems using the same mpg files. I use Vegas Video to edit avi files and then render the mpg file. It uses the Main Concept encoder. It would be nice if these companies allowed users to choose the encoder (eg TMPGenc) to use.
    Quote Quote  
  22. For my DVDs (not backup) I use Pinnacle's Studio 8.3.18.0 (so no vote here ). Very easy to use.

Maybe you should specify term "your own DVD" . I am not sure who would need AC3 5.1 sound for his birthday party movie
    Quote Quote  
  23. Can anyone tell me which DVD authoring programs do not
    re-encode my TMPGEnc MPEG-2 files? So far I've used:
    • DVD MovieFactory (not sure if it re-encodes)
      NeoDVD (I think it re-encodes)
      Studio 8 (Re-encodes and crashed during compilation of discs
      MyDVD (I believe it re-encodes, but DVDs don't look so bad)
    Please advise. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by aubrey_q
    Can anyone tell me which DVD authoring programs do not
    re-encode my TMPGEnc MPEG-2 files?
    SpruceUP - not officialy available anymore
    My DVD - I was just playng with it yesterda and I believe it did not re-encode my files. I placed in it AVI and MPEG files. With AVI I could see in status (don't remember exact message) that it was encoding. With MPEG that step was missing. Try some smal AVI and MPEG and see your self.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Thanks, DonPedro. What version of MyDVD are you using? Mine is 4.x and I see a part where it reads "transcoding". Don Sanders from the Sonic (MyDVD's maker) Forum tells me that if MyDVD doesn't detect a DVD-Legal file, it will re-encode it or transcode it, if that's the same thing. I assume TMPGEnc would do "DVD-Legal" files.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Not sure what transcode means, but try it with 2 files AVI and MPEG2 with 48 khz sound and see what will happen (watch status bar).
    Quote Quote  
  27. v 4.0.1 build 61168

and this is what I see (at least what I was able to catch since some steps were so quick that I could see them)

Buildin menus
    Transcoding audio MPEG (very fast)
    Transcoding video AVI (very slow)
    Transcoding audio AVI (very fast)
    Planning Video for movie
    Planning audio for movie
    Ordering files
    Building navigation
    Writing files

So as you can see .... I didn't catch abything about Transcoding video MPEG (maybe I can fix audio transcoding too... who knows).

BTW. Result from MyDVD video transcoding fromAVI looks horrible. For those that think that Pinnacle's Studio is bad... try this.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by aubrey_q
    Can anyone tell me which DVD authoring programs do not
    re-encode my TMPGEnc MPEG-2 files?
    Ulead DVD Workshop
    Quote Quote  
  29. When I open VTS??.VOB in IfoEdit I see that

VOB from AVI (encoded by MyDVD) have in "Title Set (Movie) attributes"

Audio 1: Not specified (Linear PCM) 2ch 48Kbps 16bps

but VOB from MPEG2 (from TMPGEnc) VOB file have extra info in "Menu Attributes"

Audio 1: Not specified (Dolby AC-3) 4ch 48Kbps 16bps
    + same in "Title Set (Movie) attributes"
    Audio 1: Not specified (Linear PCM) 2ch 48Kbps 16bps

So I guess that is why there is audio transcoding.
    Quote Quote  
  30. This is my first post and I must say that this site has provided me with a lot of valuable information. I sort of knew what I wanted to do but didn't know how to do it. I have learned a lot over the last couple weeks.

I bought Video Explosion Deluxe, from Nova Development, a couple months back. Didn't really know what I wanted but it sounded good and supported a number of input and output formats. I thought I needed Quicktime, because that is the format my Olympus digital camera uses. It turns out there is a new version of Quicktime that nobody supports. They probably wouldn't look good on the TV anyway.

Using Video Explosion, I was able to capture video/audio from my analog camera using the video capture capabilties of my Asus video card and motherboard based audio card. I was worried about the voice audio matching up to the lips, but it looked fine.

After capturing the video, I was able to edit, delete, add transitions, titles, etc. It all worked great. The app provides 2 video channels and 3 audio channels for overlay video and sound effects.

After editing I was able to render the video and audio to a number of formats including mpeg 1 and 2 with varying bit rates. It included prebuilt templates for VCD and DVD, but not SCVD. I was able to create a template for SCVD. It can burn VCD's and comes with MyDVD for burning DVD's. I don't have a DVD burner yet, but was able to create VCD's and an mpeg2 file that I used to create a SVCD using VCDEasy. I hope to get a DVD burner soon.

I didn't read anyone else talking about Video Explosion, so I don't know how it compares to other programs. For now it does everything I have needed it to do (except for the new Quicktime version). I plan to transfer all of my home movies to DVD, and will learn more about it over the next few months.
    Quote Quote