VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi, and sorry by my english, I'm spanish guy. CVD quality is very good but I would like to use it with VCDEasy and it isn't possible, (format doesn't recognized in VCDEasy). it'll be very important this format for the future, why doesn't support it, I select the SVCD option but it's incompatible. Anybody can tell me if it's possible to work with this format and what can I do to get work it?
    Thank you very much. Best regards
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In VCDEasy, make sure you uncheck "Perform some MPEG compliance checks' and VCDEasy should accept your CVD.

Hope That Helps!!! :P
    Quote Quote  
  3. In the newer version you get a message box with the compliance details and the details of your file asking whether to accept it anyway. This is even with the compliance check box ticked. I've ditched using SVCD format almost completely for CVD. I agree it would be nice if it didn't complain like it's an invalid format but it should work regardless. Use puertorican138's solution if you can't get a more recent version.

Raavin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Basically, VCDImager doesn't make CVDs. It makes VCD and SVCD. CVD is mostly like SVCD so it tends to work anyway but in reality, you are only making an XSVCD with CVD video specs. There are some other minor differences between SVCD and CVD beyond the video specs.

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there a authoring and/or burning program the truly supports cvd?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Donny661
    Is there a authoring and/or burning program the truly supports cvd?
    Any DVD authoring program will handle CVD as it is just Half-D1, a standard DVD format.

As for putting them on VideoCDs, I have no idea. I suggest grabbing a CD-RW and Nero or Easy CD have testing.
    --
    Will
    Quote Quote  
  7. adam can probably answer this better than me as I don't use this particular proggy, but I-Author may be as close as it gets...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the answer to that depends on what the exact requirements of CVD are. I remember there used to be a good description in the VCDImager documentation, but I think its been long since removed in the latest PDF releases, and I don't remember the differences besides the obvious resolution difference.

I think the Volume ID reads CVD instead of SVCD or Super_VCD? This is changed easily enough in any authoring program though.

I think maybe some of the other files on the disk have different filenames as well, and no I-Author doesn't allow you to make this modification.

I-Author supports VCD, SVCD and SuperVCD. Super VCD is the format we all know of, SVCD is a slightly modified version which is used for increased compatibility with hardware players that don't specifically support Super_VCD. The main difference is that the mpg file is stored in the Mpegav directory instead of the Mpeg2 directory, basically in an attempt to fool the player into playing it like a VCD.

Like Vitualis said though, besides resolution, the differences between CVD and Super_VCD are probably negligable. I think the only hardware player which would require true CVD compliance would be a CVD only hardware player, which would probably be very hard to come by.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I think that the offsets in the MPEG stream are different in CVD compared to SVCD (actually, TMPGEnc used to -- ?? and still does ?? -- make MPEG-2 streams with CVD style offsets rather than SVCD).

I think that the MPEG stills are ?? different too in terms of headers but I don't know for sure.

And then there are some other minor differences like the ones that adam just described above.

I've played with I-Author but have not touched it for a very long time. My recollection of it is that it seems to make a "SVCD" that was kind of "CVD-ish" -- and though this is complete speculation, perhaps it was released during that interim period when CVD was out and about (and being pushed by C-Cube) while SVCD had just been ratified...

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    Quote Quote